• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Software Sales Results for February 2007

Jammy said:
Tiger Woods Golf 07 for Wii is Back Ordered on www.gamestop.com. I check Amazon.com's best-selling video games and Tiger Woods Wii is the fifth best-selling video game-related item and has been for the past several days. Is the commercial working? Is this what so many people wanted in a golf game all these years?

People seem to have mixed feelings about the game itself, but that commericial is damn brilliant.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jj984jj said:
Ranked by revenue and still higher than any PS3 game.

bh bhh but non-gamers won't buy any games :lol :lol :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Brak said:
It must exclude portables though, Diddy Kong should be on the top 20 somewhere.
Ah that's it, I just checked and Resistance should have been above Sonic because it beat it by just a bit in revenue.

fernoca

IGN shows Mortal Kombat: Armageddon for the PS2 at #16....Yay!! (really nice considering that the game was released in October..and is a fighting game..) :)

Anyone has LTD numbers??? :)

Jirotrom

The Virtua fighter 5 sales really sadden me. What makes it worse is that when PS3 owners come into work complaining about a good game to play and I'll offer them VF5 or motorstorm or Resistance and they will deny them to pick up NBA 07 or blazing angels or Sonic. So friggin annoying. I hope VF5 sells well on 360 or I'll be disappointed again as its very disheartening when a great fighter sells bad.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
a lot of people (me included) aren't very interested in predominately competitive games (fighters, racers, etc.) i agree your coworkers are making some strange choices, but if they're looking for adventure games or platformers, there's really not much for them right now on ps3. it's coming, it's just not present at the moment.

Jirotrom

beelzebozo said:
a lot of people (me included) aren't very interested in predominately competitive games (fighters, racers, etc.) i agree your coworkers are making some strange choices, but if they're looking for adventure games or platformers, there's really not much for them right now on ps3. it's coming, it's just not present at the moment.
I mean customers sorry.

Cheebs

Jirotrom said:
Yes it does hurt...really annoying actually.
Well you have to consider user-bases. It is unfair to compare a PS3 game sales to a Wii game when Wii has such a larger base of consoles to buy video games.

Faaar to soon to begin comparing the two when they(for not at least) have great differences in how many systems are in homes.

schuelma

Cheebs said:
Well you have to consider user-bases. It is unfair to compare a PS3 game sales to a Wii game when Wii has such a larger base of consoles to buy video games.

Faaar to soon to begin comparing the two when they(for not at least) have great differences in how many systems are in homes.

And yet its always ok to compare Wii game sales with 360 game sales even though the 360 has a 3m install base head start?

ethelred

Cheebs said:

The two systems launched at almost exactly the same time. How exactly is it unfair to make comparisons between how software is selling on or the other? It's almost the perfect case study, actually. It's not like the Wii started with a year's head start on the PS3 -- they started at the same time, one just happened to build up faster hardware and software sales. Of course we can compare them.

Jirotrom

Cheebs said:

Thing is, theoretically if we double the PS3 sales and the VF5 sales they still are lower than alot of whats out there. With it being a major PS3 game of the month I expected a little more.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
ethelred said:
The two systems launched at almost exactly the same time. How exactly is it unfair to make comparisons between how software is selling on or the other? It's almost the perfect case study, actually. It's not like the Wii started with a year's head start on the PS3 -- they started at the same time, one just happened to build up faster hardware and software sales. Of course we can compare them.
Actually, the PS3 had a head start.... It's not that it isn't fair to compare Wii and PS3 sales, it's just not as fun. I hope the PS3 can put up a better fight next month.

I don't really think VF5 sales are all that bad. VF4 did most of its sales as a GH title and I amagine 5 will do the same.

JJConrad said:
Actually, the PS3 had a head start.... It's not that it isn't fair to compare Wii and PS3 sales, it's just not as fun. I hope the PS3 can put up a better fight next month.

I don't really think VF5 sales are all that bad. VF4 did most of its sales as a GH title and I amagine 5 will do the same.

The argument we've been hearing for months is that the Wii will never see a ramp-up of 3rd party support because Nintendo fans don't buy 3rd party games.

Here we are, 4 months after launch, and not only are Nintendo-published games smoking flagship PS3 1st and 3rd party offerings, but decent 3rd party fare like Red Steel, Rayman, Sonic, SSX, and Tiger Woods are doing much better as well.

If games like Oblivion, GRAW2, or Lair on PS3 get outsold by the likes of Godfather, Driver, or Medal of Honor on Wii in the next few months (in terms of units and revenue), how long will it be before we start seeing more Manhunt-level announcements from Western devs?

Or, how long do we expect devs to wait for PS3 game sales to become respectable? VF5 selling about 1/10th of the PS2 version can't be a great sign for companies bringing over major PS2 sequels this year. I think for the majority of 07-08 PS3 owners are looking at 360 ports making up 90% of their software library.

jj984jj

ethelred said:
Exactly, it's not 3rd parties at fault when Sony can't sell their hardware.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
omg rite said:
Weird how DKR drops out of the top 20 when it's by revenue. I hate that. Units sold plz.
It doesn't drop out of the top 20 when sorted by revenue when handheld games are actually included in the top 20.

antiloop

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The argument we've been hearing for months is that the Wii will never see a ramp-up of 3rd party support because Nintendo fans don't buy 3rd party games.

Here we are, 4 months after launch, and not only are Nintendo-published games smoking flagship PS3 1st and 3rd party offerings, but decent 3rd party fare like Red Steel, Rayman, Sonic, SSX, and Tiger Woods are doing much better as well.

If games like Oblivion, GRAW2, or Lair on PS3 get outsold by the likes of Godfather, Driver, or Medal of Honor on Wii in the next few months (in terms of units and revenue), how long will it be before we start seeing more Manhunt-level announcements from Western devs?

Or, how long do we expect devs to wait for PS3 game sales to become respectable? VF5 selling about 1/10th of the PS2 version can't be a great sign for companies bringing over major PS2 sequels this year. I think for the majority of 07-08 PS3 owners are looking at 360 ports making up 90% of their software library.

MGS4 Wii exclusive based on the Godfather engine confirmed.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Sho_Nuff82 said:

You can be sure that a lot more Wii support by major publishers is coming based on the recent success. More than that, analysis of sales will point out that original titles is what you wanna do on the platform and can be done with relatively low risk. Things will look very different by the end of the year.

It doesn't feel that way yet because the relevant decision have just been made or are being made still. Luckily, development of games for wii doesn't quite take as long.

jj984jj

Fuzzy said:
I just looked at that ranking for the first time right now and it's not ranked by revenue. It's ranked by units, handhelds just aren't included.
Yeah, check like 3 posts down. :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
jj984jj said:
Yeah, check like 3 posts down. :p
I don't really bother reading NPD threads here any more since it's usually a big waste of time which is why I missed the other post.

andthebeatgoeson

Sho_Nuff82 said:

OMG, deja vu. Gamecube all over again. Getting all the games but they just sell less. Soon, people will be choosing Wii Madden over PS3. Total mind****. I hope I'm around for Nintendo to **** it all up again in 2 generations and the Splorgenborg to take over.

Terrell

Well, since there's a lot of questioning about the fairness of comparing Wii and PS3 software sales, why don't we get the US lifetime hardware sales and do per capita sales comparisons?

Ulairi

Banned
A lot of the wii 3rd party games haven't had much marketing put behind them. I hope EA puts on some commericals for The Godfather.

schuelma

Ulairi said:
A lot of the wii 3rd party games haven't had much marketing put behind them. I hope EA puts on some commericals for The Godfather.

EA has marketed Tiger very heavily. Haven't seen anything with the Godfather..I have a feeling it gets lost in the shuffle this month. I'll be picking it up though.

Brak

Terrell said:
Well, since there's a lot of questioning about the fairness of comparing Wii and PS3 software sales, why don't we get the US lifetime hardware sales and do per capita sales comparisons?
Can we do that with PS2 vs. Xbox and PS2 vs. GCN too?

I think Smash Bros. actually sold like 12 million and shit Halo 2 must have sold like 18 million.

Terrell

Brak said:
Can we do that with PS2 vs. Xbox and PS2 vs. GCN too?

I think Smash Bros. actually sold like 12 million and shit Halo 2 must have sold like 18 million.
Yes, we can do that with ANY console, as the idea of per capita sales is to generate an average sales percentage if all consoles had sold equally. Governments use per capita for average income evaluation, and if it can be used for something that important, using it for software-to-console sales averages doesn't seem like a huge stretch.

Link316

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

and if you've been following sales long enough you would know that sales in the launch period usually mean squat cause people are usuallly less discriminate about their purchases, publishers know that too which is why they try to push new IPs near the beginning of a generation

donny2112

Fuzzy said:
I don't really bother reading NPD threads here any more since it's usually a big waste of time

Without the "three days later, massive software data is released" thing, it's less interesting from a sales perspective, but I find some of the comments and discussion to be interesting. I end up skimming it for posters who I find to be somewhat coherent from other threads to save time, though. I like the fact that this thread is only 7 pages, so that I can read through the entire thing. 49 pages makes that somewhat difficult, thus the skimming part. ;) :)

Edit:
Segata Sanshiro said:
Then we could determine the number of software pieces sold compared to the hardware sales and make some manner of ratio

I like Star Wars, so perhaps we can name this "ratio" after something from those movies. X-Wing ratio or maybe TIE ratio. Something like that.

Link316 said:
and if you've been following sales long enough you would know that sales in the launch period usually mean squat cause people are usuallly less discriminate about their purchases, publishers know that too which is why they try to push new IPs near the beginning of a generation

Ahhh, there's the problem then. PS3 owners are just far too discriminating!

Top Bottom