• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Software Sales Results for February 2007

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
splattergnome said:
Handhelds Title Publisher
NDS DIDDY KONG RACING Nintendo
NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS Nintendo
NDS MARIO KART Nintendo

"Handhelds"?

I am now really interested in how well Tiger Woods Wii will do in the next NPD, since it is a third party doing commercials and targetting the sport fan audience that got attracted to the Wii via Wii Sports.
Handhelds is correct. PSP software sales are worse than Wii software sales and look how much longer it's been out yet alone how many more games it has on it.

So Nintendo sold 3x as much hardware as Sony, and still had a higher attach rate?

Virtua Fighter 5 completely bombs in another region? Outsold by Sonic? On Wii?

Lost Planet LTD approaches Resistance? (not to mention it made back its total budget in just US sales, in just 2 months)

MS might start out the year with 6 straight months of at least one game over 400k (March = GRAW2, April = Guitar Hero 2, May = Forza 2/Spiderman 3, June = Mass Effect/The Darkness) ?!?

This is almost too much to take in.

Also, I'd like to know COD3 (360) and DDR Universe bundle (360) numbers please. :D

3rdman

moku said:
Okay, I'm grabbing myself a 360 here in short order, and I want some recommendations from 360 owners. I just cant resist anymore. It has a SHIT-TON of games.

I want co-op games, first and formost. I plan on picking up Gears with it, so dont mention it please.

Me and my brother have been DYING for some good juicy, action orientated co-op games.

Crackdown...seriously. I'm having an absolute blast with it!

moku said:
Okay, I'm grabbing myself a 360 here in short order, and I want some recommendations from 360 owners. I just cant resist anymore. It has a SHIT-TON of games.

I want co-op games, first and formost. I plan on picking up Gears with it, so dont mention it please.

Me and my brother have been DYING for some good juicy, action orientated co-op games.

Well I don't know about co-op only but here are some awesome games to buy.

Oblivion
Dead Rising
Dead or Alive 4 (4player)
Table Tennis (2player)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (2player)
Viva Pinata
Crackdown
Ghost Recon 2 (2player)
Tom Clancy: Rainbow Six Vegas(2player)
Lost Planet

Jammy

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Shocking.

You DO know that the highest selling game on PS3 was a first party game and that even Sonic and the Secret Rings (third party) in one week was able to top that by quite a bit, right?

:)

Z3F

Banned
moku said:

Can you be more specific, like what kind of action?

Anway, here are some games that are generally liked by most 360 owners:

For co-op, Crackdown is supposedly great fun. Arcade perfect TMNT for $4 has co-op and is also great for the nostalgia factor. The recently released GRAW2 has also been getting rave reviews for its multiplayer game. COD2,COD3 are also highly regarded but I don't know if they have co-op or not. Dead rising has no co-op but it was one of the freshest games in a long time and was lots of fun. Condemned and Fear are also great if you haven't played it on a PC yet.

jj984jj said:
Handhelds is correct. PSP software sales are worse than Wii software sales and look how much longer it's been out yet alone how many more games it has on it.

I just think its ironic that they don't make a seperate DS chart due to the fact that it is the leading video game hardware in America right now. They can stick PSP together with GBA in an "Other Handhelds" category if they wish.

KINGMOKU

Thanks for the tips guys. :) I have serious doubts that I will ever go online with my 360, as I had an absolutly awefull expereince when I got live with my XBOX. That was awhile ago, so I assume its better now, and I LOVE the thought of playing some game with you Gaffers.

Crackdown has co-op as well? What about Lost planet? I love Capcom games.

Man, so many new games to play...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Enough 360 games suggestions, and more games numbers!!

Where's Zelda GC, and NSMB?!

LJ11

moku said:

I'm a huge Capcom fanboy, and I would suggest you pick up Dead Rising before Lost Planet, it's the better of the two. You can download demos and see for yourself. Both games have a love/hate thing going on.

I hated Lost Planet but loved Dead Rising.

raYne

moku said:
Thanks for the tips guys. :) I have serious doubts that I will ever go online with my 360, as I had an absolutly awefull expereince when I got live with my XBOX. That was awhile ago, so I assume its better now, and I LOVE the thought of playing some game with you Gaffers.

Man, so many new games to play...
First of all, what!? Second, yeah Crackdown has co-op. Online co-op. *snicker*

And no, LP doesn't.

Karma Kramer said:
I'll be getting my Wii soon as well... :)

o_O

I'll hold off to buying a 360 till way later this year. Sony is not dead and I can't stand shooters. I'll wait and see what happens between the dynamic of those two and their software titles.

Of course, my heart still belongs primarily to the Wii and I might not even get one once other games are announced for the Wii.

Also, will anyone answer the question on whether or not they counted Wii Sports on the Wii's tie-in ratio? Pretty please?

rage1973 said:
This should be a good comparison test of software sales of 360 versus PS3.
What did MLB2k7 and NBA Street sell on PS3?

No. Just compare any recent 360/PS3 multiplatform game currently released and there you will have your difference.

Are we still doing game suggestions, because I would love to know what Nintendogs is up to these days. Im pretty sure that it sells enough combined monthly to make the top 10.

soco

and to think, i bought crackdown for the game and couldn't really care less about the H3 beta.

if it hadn't already been confirmed, i guess this month's chart pretty much seals the deal for expensive next-gen games :( wallet am cry.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Gears of War is a great game.

Lost Planet > Gears of War.

Enjoy.

(though, GoW wins in mutliplayer)

John Harker

Nameless said:
Just realized that it doesn't look like VF5 even broke 100k... COME ON PS3 owners buy VF!

:lol that assumes it broke the halfway point to 100k

Gooooooooo Zelda

John Harker said:

Enjoy.

I'm one of the rare folk that enjoyed LP more than GOW in multiplayer. I think it's the one-death a round thing in Gears that ruined it for me; no skill FTL.

Evlar

Banned
John Harker said:

Enjoy.

Really? Really? Wow.

The idea of Lost Planet certainly appeals to me so it's good to hear someone praise it.

didn´t NPD sent neogaf the top 100?

can we have that posted or there´s some rules saying no to that?

the full list would be better than just asking for individual games over and over...:D

John Harker

Really? Really? Wow.

The idea of Lost Planet certainly appeals to me so it's good to hear someone praise it.

It's an amazing achievment, if you ask me. Mission 7 is mind blowing on foot. The game is beautiful with massive outdoor environments (something I missed in Gears), with so much going onscreen at once - explosions galore, hundreds enemies crawling in the fore and backgrounds, billowing snow, and barely any slowdown.

Hell, getting the Akrid and luring them to fight the NEVEC dudes who are in VSs and just letting tons of badguys blow the crap out of eachother is great in its own right :lol

Though, it has **THE WORST** story I've seen in a game in years. Archaic. Awful cut scenes/animations/plot/voice acting. Its a big turn off, its so poorly done, its one of the few games that I simply ignore it, and Im a huge story guy.

Anyway, not to derail the thread, I'm just glad its selling. Pretty strongly on the LE too.
Is there any tracking services that tell you how DLC fares on XBL? Curious to see how the new maps do.

Subitai

sonycowboy said:
OK.

I'm going to take a few requests here. From the top 100 (or what you assume would be in the top 100), request a title. I'll post that title and it's ranking in the top 100 by units.

Based on concensus from you guys, I'll post the top 5 titles not listed here. And tomorrow, I'll work on trying to get some more interesting numbers from this month. Cause, the summaries for some of these results almost as interesting.

I'll start:

32) PS3 VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 53k

If I could get LTDs for these as well, that would be cool beans. :)

Sonic 360
Lego Star Wars 2 all platforms
Kameo
Cars all platforms
FFXII
LotR Battle for Middle Earth 360
Phantasy Star Universe 360/PS2

Top racing & fighting game on each system

Top 3 PC games if you can

argon said:
Counting the top 10 (and adding Wii Sports, because it counts):

Pffft. Cheap. Without Wii sports, xbox wins easily. And Wii Play . . . that is largely selling because the $49.99 game includes a $39.99 piece of hardware.

And the point I was making was just that the Wii is not totally stealing the show and developers will not all abandon other platforms for the Wii. Especially when you consider that zero of the those top 10 Wii titles are from 3rd parties.

Z3F

Banned
John Harker said:
Though, it has **THE WORST** story I've seen in a game in years. Archaic. Awful cut scenes/animations/plot/voice acting. Its a big turn off, its so poorly done, its one of the few games that I simply ignore it, and Im a huge story guy.

Is there a moment like Resident Evil 1's "master of lock picking" scene? That alone would justify a purchase.

Awesome@
CrackDown.jpg

speculawyer said:
Pffft. Cheap. Without Wii sports, xbox wins easily. And Wii Play . . . that is largely selling because the $49.99 game includes a $39.99 piece of hardware.

And the point I was making was just that the Wii is not totally stealing the show and developers will not all abandon other platforms for the Wii. Especially when you consider that zero of the those top 10 Wii titles are from 3rd parties.

its that same old problem over and over again. only square and a few other japanese third parties can make something on nintendo consoles. with those results, MS is the one really pushing third parties into their plataform

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/773/773226p1.html

Here are the NPD's top 20 best selling US PC games for the month of February 2007:

1) World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Expansion Pack - Vivendi - $38
2) World Of Warcraft - Vivendi - $25
3) The Sims 2 Seasons Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts - $28
4) Supreme Commander - THQ - $49
5) The Sims 2 - Electronic Arts - $41
6) XP Games JC - Viva Media - $10
7) The Sims: Life Stories - Electronic Arts - $37
8) The Sims 2 Pets Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts - $30
9) Battlefield 2142 - Electronic Arts - $42
10) Vanguard: Saga Of Heroes - Sony Online Ent. - $49
11) Age Of Empires III - Microsoft - $49
12) Paws & Claws Pet Vet - Valusoft (THQ) - $16
13) The Sims 2 Nightlife Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts - $31
14) City Of Villains - NCsoft - $4
15) MahJongg XP Championship 200 Platinum JC - Viva Media - $10
16) Halo: Combat Evolved - Microsoft - $20
17) Sim City 4 Deluxe - Electronic Arts - $23
18) The Sims 2: University Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts - $31
19) Zoo Tycoon: Complete Collection - Microsoft - $20
20) Warcraft III Battle Chest - Vivendi - $39

No numbers though...

I can't believe that Crackdown started off as a GAF joke (i.e., "that game with the hoodlums hanging on the rooftops") only to become the hottest selling game of the month.

John Harker said:
It's an amazing achievment, if you ask me. Mission 7 is mind blowing on foot. The game is beautiful with massive outdoor environments (something I missed in Gears), with so much going onscreen at once - explosions galore, hundreds enemies crawling in the fore and backgrounds, billowing snow, and barely any slowdown.

Hell, getting the Akrid and luring them to fight the NEVEC dudes who are in VSs and just letting tons of badguys blow the crap out of eachother is great in its own right :lol

Anyway, not to derail the thread, I'm just glad its selling. Pretty strongly on the LE too.
Is there any tracking services that tell you how DLC fares on XBL? Curious to see how the new maps do.

I agree Lost Planet has some amazing... amazing... amazing... parts of it. But alot of the single player was also very frustrating for me...

I would rent it before you buy it... and if you like the controls and the multiplayer... then defiantly pick it up.

Karma Kramer said:
I agree Lost Planet has some amazing... amazing... amazing... parts of it. But alot of the single player was also very frustrating for me...
I would rent it before you buy it... and if you like the controls and the multiplayer... then defiantly pick it up.

Why rent when you can download a couple different demos for free?

Jammy

Banned
seattle6418 said:
its that same old problem over and over again. only square and a few other japanese third parties can make something on nintendo consoles. with those results, MS is the one really pushing third parties into their plataform

Are you kidding me? There's plenty of Japanese developers (Atlus, Marvelous, Sega, Namco-Bandai, Square-Enix, etc.) that make a killing off of the DS and are now focusing on the Wii. THQ gets huge returns from Wii and EA and Ubi-soft have done nothing but announce even more support for the system. Some of these games might not sell at the same levels as Lost Planet, but when you're Atlus and making a game like Trauma Center Wii (a remake for all intents and purposes), you don't need those sales.

There's quite a difference between having a lack of sales and "making something." In fact, it's the other companies besides the "square and a few other japanese third parties" that have announced increasing support for the system over the next year, including and not limited to EA's rhythm game, Activision's Guitar Hero, Rockstar's Manhunt 2 (surely you expect it to do better than Table Tennis did...), etc.

Raistlin

Sho_Nuff82 said:
So Nintendo sold 3x as much hardware as Sony, and still had a higher attach rate?

Attach rate is the average amount of titles bought per owner of a console, correct?

I'm not sure why install base should effect that, at least until you hit true mainstream acceptance (it obviously goes down then).

speculawyer said:

Why wouldnt you count a killer app? The fact that Nintendo systems are seeling without much third party support should put the "third party wins you the console war myth" to rest.

There are no third party games in the same vein(big budget, lots of glitz) as Lost Planet, Oblivion and other heavy hitters on the Wii yet. Most were either low budget, niche games and many are port or almost ports(even Secret rings was almost port of the 360/PS3 version).

One simple reasons why third party games arent doing as well as the 360 right now: most of them suck.

Jesus christ, Konami gives the PS3 MGS4 and DMC, Capcom gives the 360 Lost Planet(and the $40M) and Dead Rising. Wii ****ing gets Dewy's Adventure and that Treasure Island Z game. Great games that have potential, but what the ****? Third parties better wisen up and accommodate the likely future king.

edit: I'm kinda glad that people are starting to focus on the Wii vs 360 battle now. Poor PS3.

Top Bottom