• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Rewatching last weeks episode (not the most recent), I have a theory about Kaido. He's so strong that his entire outer body is covered in Haki at all times and he has basically unlimited Haki. However, the interior of his body (aka his heart) isn't and potentially vulnerable. Law thinks he's powerful enough (but isn't) to pierce his chest if given a chance and grab his heart and kill it, killing him. In reality, only 2 people are able to pierce his skin which are Shanks and Mihawk, and one of them show up in the ultimate showdown with him.

If every episode of the anime was as well drawn and consistent as this one, moving forward, then I'd watch this series on the regular again

I know you're banned, but most of the episodes in Dressrosa looked similar to this one. This is around the same level of art direction and story-boarding that are in the less action heavy episodes.

They are finally leaving Dressrosa. It is about time. I hope that Strawhats are all together again by June.

If you're an anime-only watcher, then don't expect to see all of the Straw Hats together in the same place any time soon.

The scene in the newest episode with Rebecca getting dressed was terrible because of how tiny all the girls arms were.

Edit: I wonder if they're going to do anything interesting with Bellamy or if he's just going to peace out when they leave Dressrosa.

marmoka

Banned
If you're an anime-only watcher, then don't expect to see all of the Straw Hats together in the same place any time soon.

I read the manga as well. I started reading it because I was fed up of Dressrosa. It was worth reading it.
I still have hopes that this arc will be over in the anime soon. Zou arc was so great, that I cannot wait to watch the anime version. And right now the manga is totally blowing my mind, with Sanji's family, the wedding, Reverie, and other stuff.
I've heard there's no chapter this week, till 19th May. Is that totally confirmed?

Is the movie Z on anything like Netflix or Amazon Prime? Rewatched the beginning of Punk Hazard and it feels like it's a lead up to it. I saw it at a store recently but I rather stream it (legally) than buy the disk.

Dugna

Is the movie Z on anything like Netflix or Amazon Prime? Rewatched the beginning of Punk Hazard and it feels like it's a lead up to it. I saw it at a store recently but I rather stream it (legally) than buy the disk.

Don't think it's but it goes on sale for $10-15 on amazon sometimes.

With Dressrosa almost over, how would you guys rank the strength of characters that were there for most of the arc? Mine would be:

1. Doflamingo
2. Luffy

You could argue Luffy over Doflamingo but even with him being able to heal himself to an extent he still took a ton of damage from Law.

3. Sabo
4. Law

Sabo could take on Diamante and Burgess easily before eating the Flare-Flare fruit. He might not (though probably does) have Conqueror's Haki but his Armament Haki is probably the strongest of anyone on Dressrosa. Law's tactics rely on tricks but he was able to take down Vergil and still put up a decent fight against Doflamingo without Luffy's help.

5. Zoro

He marks the end of the obvious top 5 on Dressrosa.

6. Kyros
7. Diamante
8. Bartholomew

Kyros probably belongs in a tier of his own but I'm putting him with these 2. He's so strong that Zoro wants to train with him. Diamante like Law relies a lot on tricks but still has decent Haki. Bartholomew's Barrier's are ridiculously strong but he seems stupid enough to get blindsided pretty easily.

9. Pica
10. Don Chin Jao

I really wanted to put Franky in here but until he uses Haki I can't. Pica barely does anything to Zoro but we see what he's capable of. You could argue Don Chin Jao's son is stronger than him but I still put him here because of his fight with Luffy.

Moaradin

Sabo has to be the one of the strongest right? I mean, he's not the No. 2 of the Revolutionary Army for nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if he could take on Doflamingo.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fujitora is a scrub who couldn't even beat Sabo.

Sabo is a scrub who couldn't even beat an explosion. Pell beat an explosion so Pell>Sabo.

marmoka

Banned
This will be over soon.

I cannot wait to see the new Wanted posters. I hope they have more quality in the anime than the ones in the manga.

Cwarrior

New One piece specia incoming called One piece: Heart of Gold, it looks like instead of doing a 3 episode tv filler to lead into the movie there going to go for a 2 hour Tv special.

One Piece Film Gold TV Special. Airing 7/16

information we know so far
Title is ONE PIECE: HEART OF GOLD

映画「OPFG」へと至る秘宝争奪戦

A scramble for treasure that leads up to 'One Piece Film Gold'.

TVSP「ワンピース〜ハートオブゴールド〜」
日本全国で放送決定!!

It's decided: a TV special ' One Piece: ​˜Heart of Gold˜​' will air throughout Japan!!

テゾーロも欲する謎の秘宝”ピュアゴールド”。秘宝の眠る場所を知る少女と出会った麦わらの一味は、伝説の島”アルケミ”へと船を向ける!!

Tesoro also wants this mysterious treasure, 'Pure Gold'. The Straw-Hat crew happens to meet a girl who knows the location of where this treasure dwells; So they turn their ship towards the legendary island 'Arukemi'!!

- The boss of this SP will be shown in the film too(One piece film Gold).

- Name of the boss: Maddo Treasure (マッド・トレジャー), VA: Shun Oguri

- The boss is a treasure hunter who has the ability of using chains (ジャラジャラの実, Jyara Jyara no Mi).

edit:
I don't think where allowed to post scans right?

New episode is out.
Surprised I didn't see the Law and Sengoku scene coming. It's cool getting a little more background on that.

Next week looks really promising.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
New episode is out.
Surprised I didn't see the Law and Sengoku scene coming. It's cool getting a little more background on that.

Next week looks really promising.

1iKAhIT.gif

Random theory I had from a couple weeks ago when Tsuru showed up with the girls from Maiden Island. Tsuru figured out that Hancock was the one who let Luffy into Impel Down, but thought it would send a terrible message to out the only female Warlord. Instead of revealing it to the world, she kept it secret in exchange for some of her warriors.

New One piece specia incoming called One piece: Heart of Gold, it looks like instead of doing a 3 episode tv filler to lead into the movie there going to go for a 2 hour Tv special.

Probably because they can't fit a mini movie-arc into the current anime canon due to the Strawheads being still separated? Like the other TV specials it can start on a random day on their journey in the New World.
I guess Cesar isn't in there as well so like most post time-skip specials it technically takes place in the time between the arrival in the New World (after Z) and landing on Punk Hazard.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wouldn't mind some filler about the Curly Brow Pirates fighting and escaping from Big Mom's ship.

marmoka

Banned

information we know so far

edit:
I don't think where allowed to post scans right?

It looks like that for that date, Dressrosa will finally be over, and they decided to make a TV special because the last arc took too long. It took even longer in the anime than in the manga. Honestly, who's not fed up of Dressrosa? Even the next arc in the manga
is over and a new one has begun
. I hope Toei decided to make the next arc faster, than just [1 manga episode = 0.9 anime episode].

I know you're banned, but most of the episodes in Dressrosa looked similar to this one. This is around the same level of art direction and story-boarding that are in the less action heavy episodes.

honestly, I wouldn't know. I didn't watch most of Dressrosa after having read it because I anticipated the anime would take Dressrosa's glacial pace to the next level, and it did. I did watch the Corrida fights, and everything from Zoro's duel with Pica to the latest episode. Most of what I had seen didn't inspire confidence, but its come to my understanding that there's fresh blood at the helm of this anime (whom I may have shit all over a few weeks ago, admittedly prematurely), and things have been looking up.

Rewatching last weeks episode (not the most recent), I have a theory about Kaido. He's so strong that his entire outer body is covered in Haki at all times and he has basically unlimited Haki. However, the interior of his body (aka his heart) isn't and potentially vulnerable. Law thinks he's powerful enough (but isn't) to pierce his chest if given a chance and grab his heart and kill it, killing him. In reality, only 2 people are able to pierce his skin which are Shanks and Mihawk, and one of them show up in the ultimate showdown with him.

I think I know exactly what Kaidou is supposed to be. slight manga spoilers ahead regarding Kaidou's appearance and base of operations:

Kaidou is gigantic and ogre-like, he's got big horns, insane hair, he wears a rope-tied garment as his sole article of clothing, and he wields
a large Kanabo (a studded club) as a weapon
. He and his crew are
based in Wano, the One Piece equivalent to Japan
. And, of course, he's said to be truly strong, to the point of near-invincibility.

That's why I don't think his trick is that he's got loads of haki, or that his body is simply 'strong'.

I think that Kaidou is a Wotan who ate the
Oni-Oni
devil fruit and became
a literal Japanese demon, an untouchable being of fear and malice.
Do not click this link if you didn't read the spoilers. It's support for my theory in the form of a Wikipedia article.

Between this image and this quote from the linked page:
"They (Oni) are often depicted wearing tiger-skin loincloths and carrying iron clubs called kanabō (金棒?). This image leads to the expression "oni with an iron club" (鬼に金棒 oni-ni-kanabō?), that is, to be invincible or undefeatable. It can also be used in the sense of "strong beyond strong", or having one's natural quality enhanced or supplemented by the use of some tool. In addition to this, it can mean to go overboard, or be unnecessarily strong or powerful."
... I'm fairly certain I'm onto something here, don't ya think?

And as such, with Kaidou being
the man who inspires the most fear in the world
, it won't be Shanks or Mihawk who come for Kaidou in the end. It'll be the pirate whose
name IRL is synonymous with striking fear into the hearts of his opponents... Blackbeard, the only man who could simply strike such a demon, and the most likely man to desire Kaidou's power for himself.

i don't normally do theories but I'm willing to bet I'm hitting pretty close to bullseye.

Bought and just finished watching the movie Z. Loved it up until the ending which I didn't really care for. Watched it subbed instead of dubbed. Aokiji was the best thing in the movie. Loved the hot springs scene and laughed at him admiring Nami. Don't remember seeing him without a foot in the anime. Zephyr's backstory was fucked up but I hated how he gave up his plan after Luffy spared his life. The dude is ridiculously old and Luffy is far from the only pirate to not destroy everything in his path. The Warlord who killed his crew and severed his arm was probably Doflamingo. Not sure how exactly the World Government picks Warlords but I don't see why they would choose Doflamingo to be one without his blackmail on the Celestial Dragons.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Episode 743

Half of one chapter, half of the next. Pacing's all over the place.
So they should be leaving Dressrosa within June, and depending on if there's a filler arc or not, we'll be getting Zou for the rest of the year.

God damn at Fujitora's power. Doesn't even have to hit people to weigh them down. With seeing what he's capable of I think in the end he'll let them escape rather than them escaping on their own.

Bought and just finished watching the movie Z. Loved it up until the ending which I didn't really care for. Watched it subbed instead of dubbed. Aokiji was the best thing in the movie. Loved the hot springs scene and laughed at him admiring Nami. Don't remember seeing him without a foot in the anime. Zephyr's backstory was fucked up but I hated how he gave up his plan after Luffy spared his life. The dude is ridiculously old and Luffy is far from the only pirate to not destroy everything in his path. The Warlord who killed his crew and severed his arm was probably Doflamingo. Not sure how exactly the World Government picks Warlords but I don't see why they would choose Doflamingo to be one without his blackmail on the Celestial Dragons.

Zephyr had his pride and honor beaten. He gave up his plan because he saw a unique quality in Luffy that he hadn't seen in any other pirate thus far. Which made him realize that maybe there might be some good pirates out there.

And about the warlord who cut off his arm (manga spoilers)
It's not Doflamingo. The one who did it was appointed as a Warlord during the time skip. And he's not who you expect him to be.

Zephyr had his pride and honor beaten. He gave up his plan because he saw a unique quality in Luffy that he hadn't seen in any other pirate thus far. Which made him realize that maybe there might be some good pirates out there.

And about the warlord who cut off his arm (manga spoilers)
It's not Doflamingo. The one who did it was appointed as a Warlord during the time skip. And he's not who you expect him to be.

Found it weird that with how old he is that he never found someone like Luffy. I mean he's basically Gol D. Roger reincarnated.

Interesting. Thought they refilled all of the Warlords during the time skip but I can only think of 6 (Law, Doflamingo, Kuma, Hancock, Mihawk and Buggy).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Found it weird that with how old he is that he never found someone like Luffy. I mean he's basically Gol D. Roger reincarnated.

Interesting. Thought they refilled all of the Warlords during the time skip but I can only think of 6 (Law, Doflamingo, Kuma, Hancock, Mihawk and Buggy).

Number 7 is only named in the manga as of right now.

Cwarrior

Raging Tiger!

that was sick, when fuji made that debri orbit over the island it remind you why his an Admiral.

no back up is required lol.

marmoka

Banned
The fight is shorter in the manga, but the animation this time was amazing overall. I loved this episode, and didn't expect much. But I'm fed up of Dressrosa, leave the fucking island now!!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The fight is shorter in the manga, but the animation this time was amazing overall. I loved this episode, and didn't expect much. But I'm fed up of Dressrosa, leave the fucking island now!!

Soon. This is the homestretch.

Cwarrior

New filler arc has been announced called "Silver Mine arc" will start on 26 June

So on this One piece Tv special here are the details.

Screenplay: Tsutomu Kuroiwa (screen writer for One piece Film Gold)
Director: Tatsuya Nagamine(director of One piece FILM Z, one piece episode 698,706 and 717)

Planning: Yuta Kano (Fuji TV), Hiroyuki Sakurada (Toei Animation), Hiroki Koyama (Toei Animation)

Character designer and Chief animation director is still unknown but I am placeing my bets on it being The same guy being Episode of sabo (am mostly likley wrong, just placeing bets for fun)

Comments from the staff

Planning: Yuta Kano (Fuji TV)
While this TV special does tie in to the movie, it is a story that will reach its conclusion within this single episode, so I hope the audience will be able to enjoy it for what it is. For this TV special, director Nagamine and the entire staff tried to come up with “a super entertaining story that won’t be overshadowed by the movie.” Our screenwriter Kuroiwa, as he did with the movie, packed this episode with so much material that can only be expressed effectively through animation — they’re all very fitting for One Piece. As for the title, I believe those who will understand will understand, so we’ll await the audience’s response after the special premieres. We also felt strongly about wanting to “see Shun Oguri fight Luffy as a villain,” so we asked for his contribution. As expected, his voice and acting are both wonderful, so please look forward to it.

Planning: Hiroyuki Sakurada (Toei Animation)

This TV special will be brought to you in conjunction with this summer’s biggest theatrical masterpiece, One Piece Film: Gold, set to premiere on July 23. And from the staff of One Piece Film: Gold, this special has screenwriter Tsutomu Kuroiwa, director Tastuya Nagamine from One Piece Film: Z, and Eiichiro Oda designing the guest characters and outfits for the Straw Hats. This TV special is a work of your wildest dreams with the best of the best staff members involved, and with outstanding guests like Shun Oguri on board! The story and pacing a so thrilling that you won’t have time to breathe, and with the Straw Hats running wild for a full two hours, this TV special will be an adventure unlike any other! While we can guarantee that this TV special alone will be 120% enjoyable , the entertainment value will have a synergy effect if you watch it together with One Piece Film: Gold! Please enjoy!

The big news is that the special will share the same screen writer as One piece Film gold so it will feel more connected and some character from the special Heart of Gold will show up in Film Gold.

Dat girl with the arrow and dat dude with spray paint looks like some of the best designs I've seen in an anime.

Top Bottom