• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie Responds after using racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You know those old people that sit at home watching for news all day and complaining about immigrants and people that "hate our freedoms!"?
These are their replacements.
Exactly. It's a never ending cycle.

1) This is awful
2) While he should say something about his fans, he can't be responsible for what 50 odd million people say. It would be nice to at least address the fact a lot of them do seem to be acting like idiots though
3) It makes my soul sad that so many of those comments seem to be from people using real pics and real names
He's directly responsible for cultivating that audience in the first place so the fact that he says nothing about it IS quite telling.

Acerac

Banned
So resuming:

- PDP says a hatefull word
- Internet reacts with hatefull words towards PDP
- PDP recognises what he said was wrong and apologises
- Internet keep reacting with hatefull words towards PDP.

Yup, thats the world i know.
A world entirely devoid of context. Sounds like a confusing place to be, though I imagine some may find it comforting.

Mung

He hasn't said ANYTHING about his fanbase's reaction to this backlash for one.

jxBknjC.png

These are kids. These are the same people who're gonna grow up and become GG/white supremacists due to their influences.

What an absolute disgrace. It pisses me off that people can just get away with this behaviour. Try shouting that on the street you cowards, see what happens.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
i mean, what could he do, saying "do something" isnt very informative

The problem is casual racism online, and he could do something to address it. The evidence for it? The comments on his apology video. They're indefensibly disgusting. You don't have to look just there, either. Look to any number of videos that just happen to feature a black person and see how much racist vitriol will be drawn to it. Look to the comments on anything from news articles to game reviews and see how much casual racism people will inject. Racist comments are something society largely ignores in a way I find disturbing. Pewdiepie has become a focal point for it, and he has a real opportunity to speak to it.

jxBknjC.png

These are kids. These are the same people who're gonna grow up and become GG/white supremacists due to their influences.
This.

Mr Git

snip

These knuckledraggers are his fans? Who knew that cunts attract cunts. He's definitely sorry though. Yep, won't happen again.

Maledict

So resuming:

That's the worst hot take I've ever seen. Congrats on fucking up so badly.

In what world does using the N word equal the complaints you get from using the N-word?

It's disappointing that he only make this video now because it was about to get out of hand.

He should have do it right after the stream.
I'm surprised he still has a channel at all.

What he yelled should have been account suicide from the get-go.

And by the looks of things, the same should befall those people leaving those hateful comments. Jesus, YouTube. Get a fucking grip.

1) This is awful
2) While he should say something about his fans, he can't be responsible for what 50 odd million people say. It would be nice to at least address the fact a lot of them do seem to be acting like idiots though
3) It makes my soul sad that so many of those comments seem to be from people using real pics and real names

Bullshit. You don't think blocking them on twitter or banning them from his stream chats would send a message, if he was at all actually interested in sending a message?

flkraven

He chalks the whole thing up to 'heat-of-the-moment' rather than introspecting and admitting that this word shouldn't even be in his vocabulary in the first place. He can't even begin to 'do something' until he admits this first and foremost. Secondly, he can't tip-toe around racism by saying 'sorry IF you were offended'. He needs to come right out, say that this word is offensive. At that point he could start to do something. As stated before, make a video about the history of that word and why it shouldn't be used? Make a video telling his supporters that they shouldn't defend that sort of language? Take a class? Recommend a book? Do an interview? Literally anything?

Actions speak louder than words, especially from a person that has gotten into trouble surrounding this issue in the past.

When Michael Richards went on his racist rant at the comedy club he was blasted. Afterwards, he made an apology on David Lettermen. He then called Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson directly to apologize to the civil rights leaders. Nearly every public appearance he has made (Comedians in Cars, radio, etc) has him making an apology about the incident. And after all that, he is still hated by many and referred to as a racist.

Why does pdp get the benefit of the doubt after a single apology video after a history of bad behavior?

I don't buy his apology at all.

That's because it's not an apology.

An apology involves acknowledging the transgression for what it was. Not expressing regret that offence was taken to it.

Pewdiepie hasn't apologies and won't. He doesn't need to. YouTube is perfectly fine allowing his content on their platform, he will continue to make millions upon millions of dollars per year, and he will continue his disgusting behaviour.

BriGuy

I hope that he and his fans learned something from this other than resentment for being called out on it, but I have my doubts. I wouldn't be too surprised if we find ourselves back here again within a year.

That's the worst hot take I've ever seen. Congrats on fucking up so badly.

In what world does using the N word equal the complaints you get from using the N-word?

Seriously. Hell, the vast majority of the criticism I've seen towards him is incredibly civil (Still super critical, but civil nonetheless)

The fact that he hasn't been banned from PUBG is ridiculous. Like, you are going to make "examples" of big streamers teamkilling and streamsniping but the biggest youtuber ever uses the N-word on a live stream (Rule number 1 in the rules of conduct) and you won't ban him? It's so obviously hypocritical and so obvious what PlayerUnknowns agenda is. It's really sad that it seems like PewDiePie is going to bacially get away with it.

I've been saying. When money is involved companies wont do shit. PlayerUnknowns are cool with racism. Not shocking. So is basically every other company in the industry.

So resuming:

Is the hateful word in the bold section 'racist'?

Indeed. Remember, telling someone that they are racist is just as bad as the slur the person originally excreted from their face. Only applies to white people, though.

This definitely comes across as him, once again, apologizing for doing something stupid on camera, not for the behavior itself.

Aroll

The guy makes three million dollars a year playing videogames on camera.

What percentage of that would you say is a deserved result of his virtue that would be unreasonable for him to lose as a result of his demonstrated unfitness for talking to children?

I know kids watch him.

I think his channel isn't really for kids. I think parenting needs to be better. Parents can filter YT.

But outside of that, I don't care what he makes or how he makes it. He works in a field where free speech is allowed and unfortunately that includes hate speech. Gaming wise has a very toxic side to it where that speech is encouraged to be used.

What matters to me is the person. I want Felix to become a betger person.

His channel would never get deleted so long as YT has no direct policies to get rid of said channels.

They already demonetize 90% of his content just for swear words.

When I talk punishing him, holding in accountable, I mean not letting it go. He apologized, making sure he sticks to it.

Everyone talks about him needing to be hurt financially when we all know there is nothing that can be further done there. Not without some drastic changes to the platform. Some want him to educate the youth.

Woulsnt he need to be educated about I first? I certainly don't trust pewdiepie to tell my kids why using the N word is wrong.

Because I'm not sure he fully gets it himself. Repeated actions suggest that.

And u just validated my whope point, about ppl just replying with hate speech. Keep on going. I rest my case in this matter.

Calling someone a racist is not hate speech. You pulled that "You are intolerant of intolerance!" bullshit right out of the Alt-Right defense playbook. Get smarter. Try harder.

There was a thread before asking why people stopped playing Overwatch. I stopped because too many matches had idiots on voice chat yelling "nigger" and "faggot". I don't doubt for a second PewDiePie belongs to that same special group of people and that he's emboldened them further.

If his apology can't directly talk about racism or why what he said is bad, it's not enough to me.

forfrosne

I made that compilation of comments based on literally about 10 minutes of the comments in the apology video. You can genuinely just refresh the page and get new ones. And you're right, it's worrying that not only are so many of them using real names/pictures (so presumably not just simply troll accounts), but that given his audience demographics, most of them are probably children or very young teenagers. That's what really terrified me about it. I spent about 20-30 minutes just hitting report, report, report, report for the hate speech.

Zafir

Well, at least he's improved at apologising. That's something!
Now he just needs to learn to do it in one take.

This one at least seems more sincere and doesn't try shifting the blame to the media or whomever else.

That said, the apology is hollow if he doesn't actually change his actions and continues shouting hateful spur of the moment slurs...

oni-link

Bullshit. You don't think blocking them on twitter or banning them from his stream chats would send a message, if he was at all actually interested in sending a message?

Yeah it would, and I 100% agree he should address his fanbase, but I can understand why someone with millions of people sending millions of messages each day doesn't go though them 1 by 1 and moderate them

It would be a good start if he made a video about his fans and actually told them to stop behaving in this way, and I agree with Crossing Eden that he is to blame for cultivating his fanbase, and that is what we should condemn him for failing to address

I think expecting him to check every message and tweet he gets so he can block people is asking a bit much though

jxBknjC.png

Unfortunately, the problem is that PDP already apologized. So this discussion cant happen because people will hammer on about how the internet wants to milk the drama.

This is the issue with apologizing. The damage is done and the conversation moves on, while the toxicity stays and festers. People asking for more, and discussing in the act of moral repair are seen as social justice warriors who are mob-hungry.

For a more meaningful conversation, PDP has to be the one to make the effort to do more. But he wont, and that's that.

The way kids are being exposed and taught to think about issues like this is undoubtedly worrying. The blame is on PDP, but he has no obligation to them, outside of a sincere heartfelt desire to repair his mistakes. Parents really, really need to be monitoring what their kids are doing on harmless old Youtube.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Once again, a racist's sins are easily forgiven and washed away.

Meanwhile, I still can't walk down the aisle of a convenience store without three cashiers peaking at me from around the corner. Not to mention seeing this white couple recoil in fear as a tall elderly black man approached them with a smile yesterday while I was coming home from work.

This is a pattern for PewDie Pie. I have no interest in forgiving him. On the upside, I can continue ignoring his channel until the next time he calls someone a "fucking nigger," on a livestream again.

Once people start "forgiving" black people for being black, we can maybe, possibly, look at forgiving racists for being racists.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So resuming:

Had to do a double take when I didn't see "Junior Member"

And u just validated my whope point, about ppl just replying with hate speech. Keep on going. I rest my case in this matter.

Yeah you sure do...that you tolerate racism until you're the one being called a racist. Then, it's hate speech.

That's some sound logic there.

pigeon

Banned
Yeah it would, and I 100% agree he should address his fanbase, but I can understand why someone with millions of people sending millions of messages each day doesn't go though them 1 by 1 and moderate them

Spam PDP's Twitter with tweets about how he's a white supremacist and you will discover very rapidly that somebody with the media profile he has pays a good amount of money to have people moderate the messages he receives one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom