• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie Responds after using racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

This is just like how PewDiePie said after Charlottesville that he wasn't going to make any more Nazi jokes because he just learned that Nazis were a real thing. ...shortly after posting this:

screenshot213e9jyu.png

Like, he already showed he didn't care with the "you fucking ni...nja" video, and his "I know no one watching my stream cares" bit. He's already gloated over the fact that he hasn't learned his lesson. An apology that doesn't acknowledge his behaviour after the fact isn't going to cut it.

Pila

Nah kid, you can't do that and keeping do that and then "lol sorry". Tired of your shit, children watch your stuff you know that?

Get lost.

Seriously, what the hell happened to YouTube man? I remember around...2011 or 2012, it was just bad upstart comedians and epic rap battles. When did it become Teen Fox News?

Ppl realized too late, that most of these Youtuber morals are totally fucked up and kids growing up watching their videos have their moral compasses broken.

This is just like how PewDiePie said after Charlottesville that he wasn't going to make any more Nazi jokes because he just learned that Nazis were a real thing. ...shortly after posting this:

Like, he already showed he didn't care with the "you fucking ni...nja" video, and his "I know no one watching my stream cares" bit. He's already gloated over the fact that he hasn't learned his lesson. An apology that doesn't acknowledge his behaviour after the fact isn't going to cut it.

What a great joke, let me explain by bad joke so you guys dont think im a real racist but ill joke about it to get you off the scent. Who the fuck thinks that is funny?

bman94

The comments on the video...go lord it's almost like people are brain washed.

Yeah there's trolls there's just saying the word just to get an reaction but I think there's people on there and genuinely accept his apology and forgive him. Saying ridiculous shit like "oh if you never said nigger before online while being mad then you're lying" like The fuck???

Shit like that doesn't slip out if you're angry. Asshole, fucker, dipshit, these are words that fly out your mouth when your angry, not a fucking racial slur.

Like I can't belive people are actually backing him up on this type of shit, fucking mental.

zsynqx

Decent apology, all things considered, but I never realised how toxic his fanbase was before reading the comments to this vid. These don't sound like ignorant children who'll do anything to defend their idle, they sound like your classic GG, "anti SJW" crowd. Haven't watched anything Pewdiepie in a while, but it says a lot about his recent content that these are his followers

TalonJH

"Sorry I offended you" is very different from "sorry I said something hateful."

Not a good apology.

I always hate this as well. You hear it all the time in these situations. "Sorry if I offended you" isn't "Sorry for what I've done."

Either way, Just do better. That's all I can say. He's probably not going anywhere(you make way too much money for YouTube) so just do better.

__ Days without being dick.

I didn't think much of that apology. He comes across as pretty arrogant and I'm fairly certain he is confident that it will be enough to satisfy the people he is aiming it at, but they are not the same people he offended. I don't get the impression he's too bothered about them.

fester

Banned
Can you imagine if PDP actually made a video saying he is truly sorry and he understands and that from now on he will ban anyone who says anything racist in the comments? Imagine if he then went through and blocked people one by one. The guy has so much power. He just isn't using it properly, but I guess that's why he got so famous in the first place.

Hope your post doesn't get lost in the shuffle of this thread because you're making a great point. People like PDP could be using their money and influence to make the world a better place, and your idea is a perfect practical example. Instead it's squandered on bullshit and bigotry.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
The comments on the video...go lord it's almost like people are brain washed.

Yeah there's trolls there's just saying the word just to get an reaction but I think there's people on there and genuinely accept his apology and forgive him. Saying ridiculous shit like "oh if you never said nigger before online while being mad then you're lying" like The fuck???

Shit like that doesn't slip out if you're angry. Asshole, fucker, dipshit, these are words that fly out your mouth when your angry, not a fucking racial slur.

Like I can't belive people are actually backing him up on this type of shit, fucking mental.

What's crazier still is that Google won't do a fucking thing about the cesspool that is that comments section

Apathy

It's just stupid how many times this guy gets chances. And every time it'll be the same answer "didn't learn least time, this time though for sure"

oon

Banned
Can you imagine if PDP actually made a video saying he is truly sorry and he understands and that from now on he will ban anyone who says anything racist in the comments? Imagine if he then went through and blocked people one by one. The guy has so much power. He just isn't using it properly, but I guess that's why he got so famous in the first place.

Agreed. Talk is cheap, especially from someone in such a powerful position. He could do so much good, but instead he perpetuates this terrible behaviour - his apologies won't make up for the damage done. Actively fostering a more respectful gaming culture would be a step in the right direction.

David___

Banned
What's crazier still is that Google won't do a fucking thing about the cesspool that is that comments section

They'll start doing shit when it impacts their bottom line ie. advertisers start pulling out completely

I mean, he could have learned to take responsibility for his word when he got flack for his rape jokes five years ago. If it was rape culture then and it's racism now, what will it be in 2022? What's next on PewDiePie's checklist?
Ethnic cleansing

L Thammy

It's just stupid how many times this guy gets chances. And every time it'll be the same answer "didn't learn least time, this time though for sure"

I mean, he could have learned to take responsibility for his word when he got flack for his rape jokes five years ago. If it was rape culture then and it's racism now, what will it be in 2022? What's next on PewDiePie's checklist?

kmax

i mean, what could he do, saying "do something" isnt very informative

I'm going to address this.

Many of us live in an open society where acceptance of people is the foundation of our very way of life. People are different - and we should celebrate that fact. Not only because it's great, but because we've fought so hard to get to this point. Many people have fought battles and climbed mountains - just for us to be where we are today. Unfortunately, there are still many parts where being different is simply not acceptable to some people. This is especially true online, within the 4chans and the YouTube comments of the world. This type of thinking drives away people from contributing their voice, in an effort to silence them. "Know your place" is the underlying theme that is going around. PewDiePie, being the world's biggest star on the internet, should use his fame to open up minds rather than aiding to close them down. He should send a message - loud and clear - that will not only reach the people that he's hurt but to everyone. Especially the very people that are standing behind him screaming the most obscene things imaginable. Nothing shows more sincerety than taking action. He should take proactive steps in educating his audience why racism, sexism, misogyny, and hate is simply never okay. If you act in that manner yourself, you signal to your audience that the sort of behavior that we're seeing is acceptable, and seeing as many are kids that don't know any better, they start to believe it too.

It's not okay. It will never be, as long as we continue to raise our voices in condemning these types of mentalities and behaviour across the board, when we see it.

What world do we actually want to live in? What sort of attitudes do we want to have around us, wheter that be offline or online?

Today, PewDiePie issued an apology. He has done so before and he will most certainly do so again if he doesn't break the cycle of hate that is surrounding him. He's himself a product of his environment, but he can help to change attitudes by first striving for change within himself and displaying it to the world.

If he'd do that, he'd be showing that he truly cares.

CazTGG

Monetizing an apology video would have been enough to make me not watching this, in all likelihood, non-apology apology video. The fact that it's the fourth time that he's done this
(i'm sure i've forgotten another time he's done this) and has demonstrably shown himself to be impervious to changing his sexist, racist ways and, more importantly, informing his incredibly impressionable audience of why his constant rape jokes, support for a politician who said that women were inferior to men, his "Death to all Jews" video and racist remarks are bad, among his other incendiary remarks, is enough for me to say that i'm not interested in hearing his meaningless drivel. Pewdiepie won't change and neither will my my steadfast belief that he shouldn't be given an inch of doubt. He's a vile piece of trash and he's dragging down YouTube (even further) with him.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
When anyone's apology includes the words, "sorry if I offended..." I immediately discard that apology as garbage and the person gaslighting his victims as garbage.

PewDie Pie is garbage. He's a garbage person and a racist.

Anarion07

It's amazing how many people here can see the future. Maybe he's gonna change. Maybe not. Only time and his actions will tell. But telling him to f* off because he won't change anyway blabla doesn't help either.

Personally, I thought it was a sincere apology. The "sorry if i offended anyone" does seem bad on its own, but not in the context of the whole video, imo.

And the video is not monetized, so you might aswell just click it. Your click won't make him richer, don't worry.

fourfourtwo

Neo Member
Joined in June

Savage, rekt, etc

As far as I know, just because the account was created in June doesn't mean posting was allowed. I got an email a week or so ago saying that it was activated. I mean, did you want me to try and post when it wasn't possible? What did you mean by this?

And I guess my views aren't really shared by many other people, but that's okay. I don't know what more he could do - start crying?

Hi, Felix.

I don't get this. I'm not known as Felix to anyone that I know of.

L Thammy

It's amazing how many people here can see the future. Maybe he's gonna change. Maybe not. Only time and his actions will tell. But telling him to f* off because he won't change anyway blabla doesn't help either.

Personally, I thought it was a sincere apology. The "sorry if i offended anyone" does seem bad on its own, but not in the context of the whole video, imo.

And the video is not monetized, so you might aswell just click it. Your click won't make him richer, don't worry.

The context of the video is that this guy said "you fucking ninja" between the original incident as this to deliberately skirt saying it a second time. He has already said and done other things that give us information with which to evaluate his sincerity.

jacobeid

Banned

I would agree with this if this wasn't at least the fourth time we've been in this exact same spot. His actions, recorded for millions of people to see, show that he won't change if he hasn't already.

They're saying that your post makes it sound like one of PDP's alt accounts posting about himself.

He hasn't changed after saying things like this before so you can see why people aren't keen to give him the benefit of the doubt

L Thammy

As far as I know, just because the account was created in June doesn't mean posting was allowed. I got an email a week or so ago saying that it was activated. I mean, did you want me to try and post when it wasn't possible? What did you mean by this?

And I guess my views aren't really shared by many other people, but that's okay. I don't know what more he could do - start crying?

Lost of far right leaning people who hate GAF have accounts they don't normally use that they use in controversies like this so that they can put out shitty talking points with no risk to their main account when they inevitably get banned. That's an accusation.

fourfourtwo said:

PewDiePie is named Felix. They're mocking you.

When anyone's apology includes the words, "sorry if I offended..." I immediately discard that apology as garbage and the person gaslighting his victims as garbage.

PewDie Pie is garbage. He's a garbage person and a racist.

Youtube comments are bad but you still find some like these on GAF. Real classy.

I agree 100%, we don't know if he will change, and I personally don't care. I don't watch him, he's neutral to me. But I recognize that he has to behave better because there are a lot of kids watching him and he's an example to them.

Zautruche

Banned

You can fuck off with him, he already did a shitload of awful stuff and he hasn't learned anything. And he won't now, because every time there is people like you defending him when he showed over and over he doesn't deserve it.

I didn't think much of that apology. He comes across as pretty arrogant and I'm fairly certain he is confident that it will be enough to satisfy the people he is aiming it at, but they are not the same people he offended. I don't get the impression he's too bothered about them.

I haven't watched it but I'm sure it's as pathetic and self pitying as his death to all jews "apology". Thank God society rewards these kind of people so they never have to feel any consequences for their actions.

Anarion07

I would agree with this if this wasn't at least the fourth time we've been in this exact same spot. His actions, recorded for millions of people to see, show that he won't change if he hasn't already.

But he might. Bad comparison, but there are e.g. addicts who stopped after their 3rd or 4th withdrawal.
I guess I just like to see and believe in the good in people.
I wonder how many people in this thread would have a video of a racist/sexist or anything comment on youtube if they were streaming/making videos every day.

Again, I think only time will tell if he can better himself. For the sake of his easily influenced viewers, I sincerely hope so.

So resuming:

- PDP says a hatefull word
- Internet reacts with hatefull words towards PDP
- PDP recognises what he said was wrong and apologises
- Internet keep reacting with hatefull words towards PDP.

Yup, thats the world i know.

You mean that's the ridiculous racist bubble you live in. Good to see you out on your ass tho.

wandering

Banned
Don't follow him.

Has he said something like this before?

I know he was in trouble not that long ago, but I don't know what it was for.

Paid some kids through Fiverr to hold a sign saying "Death to All Jews."

Also made stupid tweets during Charlottesville that you can see above.

*PDP makes rapes jokes and apologizes*

"Why ppl are so mad? He apologized! maybe he will change!"

*PDP makes anti-sematic jokes and makes a (non) apology video*

*PDP says the n-word an apologizes*

No one has to give him the benefit of the doubt just because he said sorry. He has to earn that right and that respect. If people don't want to trust his word, there's nothing wrong with that. If he does good and people still trash him, then you can get all uppity.

aravuus

How many times do you need him to do or say something dumb until it's shame on you and the benefit of doubt is out the window? 5? 10? 88?

Youtube comments are bad but you still find some like these on GAF. Real classy.

Lol

What are you even doing buddy

fourfourtwo

Neo Member
Lost of far right leaning people who hate GAF have accounts they don't normally use that they use in controversies like this so that they can put out shitty talking points with no risk to their main account when they inevitably get banned. That's an accusation.

PewDiePie is named Felix. They're mocking you.

That just shows you how much I know about the chap. I'm certainly no fan of him.

And how do people get alts when you need something like a work email to get in? Regardless, don't the far-right have better things to do then post controversial​ opinions on a video game forum?

I'm not so naive as to believe chance 5 will be different than chance 1, 2, 3 or 4. If you are though that's great.

pigeon

Banned
That just shows you how much I know about the chap. I'm certainly no fan of him.

And how do people get alts when you need something like a work email to get in? Regardless, don't the far-right have better things to do then post controversial​ opinions on a video game forum?

You would think

Anarion07

You can fuck off with him, he already did a shitload of awful stuff and he hasn't learned anything. And he won't now, because every time there is people like you defending him when he showed over and over he doesn't deserve it.

Just for the record, I am in no way defending what he did, I just give the benefit of the doubt and think ranting on an apology does not help.

DirtyLarry

Starts off with "I wanted to make a statement"
Not I wanted to apologize for a statement I made. I want to make a statement. That is as canned and insincere as it gets.

Just for the record, I am in no way defending what he did, I just give the benefit of the doubt and think ranting on an apology does not help.

I hope people don't take advantage of you in real life because sticking to that road time and time again is gonna lead to people walking all over you

I mean... if he literally never pulls this crap again, then that apology would be... okay, I guess? But he will, won't he. It's him.

I was reminded of the BoJack Horseman episode where Todd dresses BoJack down with "You can't keep doing this! You can't keep doing shitty things and feel bad about yourself like that makes it okay! You need to be better."

Mael

At this point you have to be incredibly naive to even think of giving that guy a nth chance.
Nothing short of a kick in the wallet is going to make him change his behavior.
You have to be so poor at pattern matching if you can't how this is going to go.

At what point does he no longer receive the benefit of the doubt? This isn't an isolated incident.

Maybe when he stops behind white...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom