• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie Responds after using racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarion07

How gross is it to get paid for apologizing for being a racist?

The video is not monetized.

I watched the video and shrugged. I thought it was an acceptable apology and the tone seemed right to me. Beyond that, I just don't have the venom left to keep attacking and saying "fuck you" to a person who is apologizing. Maybe I'm too old.

Hopefully he does something positive moving forward.

That's exactly where I'm at. He does have the reach so he should try to make up for it by doing something good, having a positive influence, somehow.
If he continues this, the "fuck you" will be justified.

TalonJH

tenor.gif

Okay, this is the first time I've seen this gif uses unironically and I just spit out my water out on my keyboard.

I watched the video and shrugged. I thought it was an acceptable apology and the tone seemed right to me. Beyond that, I just don't have the venom left to keep attacking and saying "fuck you" to a person who is apologizing. Maybe I'm too old.

I saw this same argument many times in the past, regarding PDP in one of his many fuckups.

I guess some ppl gets "unlimited lives" in life.

Maybe because I'm getting too old, to forgive stupid ppl who has a massive following and responsability to be way better than a simple apology video after so many fuckups.

I don't know if PewDiePie is truly racist or just an ignorant buffoon, but it doesn't really matter at this point, this whole business is pretty indefensible. From the way he said it casually like a reflex it does seem obvious this wasn't some isolated incident.

It's just a shame he's a role model to so many young kids.

A Special Note to New Contributors:
We love our new members. That said, no one can miss the pattern of newly minted juniors leaping into the most contentious threads on the forum with opinions that seem to come straight off 4chan. We see you. We have no compunction about ejecting you. As always, junior bans are permanent, so be very sure this is a conversation you want to leap into before you post.
I actually agree with the general consensus this time, will that earn me any brownie points for next? ;D

I don't think you're too old, I think you're too apathetic to actually care because this is an issue that probably doesn't effect you very much. Come back to us when your 8 year old son has been hung from a tree by teenagers (http://nypost.com/2017/09/11/teens-taunted-biracial-boy-hung-him-from-rope-family/) because hate towards people like you has been normalized with the public by people like PDP.

As much negative attention as this has been getting, a long side the other videos he made, I can't honestly see him as being sorry. If you thought it was a good idea to publish the kind of videos he thought were "acceptable" what makes his apology after the racial slur meaningful? Dude needs to get off YouTube or something much much more worse is in store for this guy.

The video is not monetized.

That's exactly where I'm at. He does have the reach so he should try to make up for it by doing something good, having a positive influence, somehow.
If he continues this, the "fuck you" will be justified.

Someone in the other thread claimed it was. Maybe he posted it with ads and then disabled them.

Mathieran

Banned
He had a good opportunity to educate his followers about why saying it is bad. It's embarrassing to see how many people are bending over backwards to defend his ability to say it.

FiggyCal

Banned
I got an ad before the video when I watched it. Has he removed the monetization since he posted it?

Is it possible that youtube puts ads on videos that the creators don't receive payment for?

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying he didn't monetize it himself. I think he probably did if what people are saying is true. Just asking a question.

Merc_

He's not sorry and we'll be here again in the future.

He's a racist. That's what he's shown himself to be repeatedly. Fuck him.

”It was not OK. I'm really sorry if I offended, hurt or disappointed anyone with all of this. Being in the position I am, I should know better ... and I owe it to my audience and myself to do better than this."

So the first part where he says he's sorry if he offended anyone... I can't tell if he's actually trying not to apologise or iif he really is just an idiot who hasn't read anything about apology vs. non-apology language.

The second part seems something more sympathetic. Yes, you do owe it to your audience to be better than this. You better get on that, guy.

The one thing I don't understand is how can you use the "heat of the moment" excuse when you say something hateful, if you were not raised a native english speaker. It's not like you have a lizard part of your brain that craps out automatically words from when you were twelve. You chose to get that word in and use it on a regular basis.
I understand that people from north europe learn english quite easily and earlier than we southern european, but still I don't get it.

Also all this talk about "he's a racist" vs. "he said a racist thing, but deep down inside is not REALLY racist". Give me a fucking break....

The thing that always gets me about so many of the apologies is the usage of "If I offended". "If". Like you're not completely sold on the concept of racial language being offensive to someone, it's still a 'maybe'.

Don't give a shit about the apology. If he improves as a person and shows through his actions that he's learning something, then maybe I'll believe it.

Until then, he strikes me as someone who has enough of a fanbase that'll support him through thick and thin for him to really see the error of his ways. When you have black teens in some cases even coming out to shill for the guy, I just can't help but think that an apology like this is for the rest of us and not because it's coming from a place of sincerity.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

L Thammy

The one thing I don't understand is how can you use the "heat of the moment" excuse when you say something hateful, if you were not raised a native english speaker. It's not like you have a lizard part of your brain that craps out automatically words from when you were twelve. You chose to get that word in and use it on a regular basis.
I understand that people from north europe learn english quite easily and earlier than we southern european, but still I don't get it.

Yep. That word comes from somewhere. I don't know if he's hiding it or he's afraid to think about it, but when he was searching for the most offensive word he could, he came up with that one. That means something.

Gestault

when did people start being so damn sensitive over a word?

Even ignoring basically the totality of human history, there's never been a time when mass media hasn't had its own set of practices for accountability when it comes to hate speech and vulgarity. Some words and phrases exist specifically to affront, and the outburst here was an overt case of that. Celebrities rely on both audiences and formalized distribution channels. Stars make their money because they're marketable. Every time you step over one of these lines of decency, you're attacking a portion of your audience. That can matter because you have human empathy, or because you care about your own financial success.

If you claim to not understand how words can hurt, I don't know what to say. Speech matters. It represents people's intentions, and particularly in a mass broadcast context, it can effect people's lives by warping attitudes around them with surprising efficiency.

Honestly, if you see the comments on the video and look at the likes/dislikes, then come and read this thread, you can clearly see the echo chamber that gaf lives in.

adversarial

As a black dude who's been hurled these insults since I was a pre-teen (LOT of CS 1.6 -> in my youth) - this dude saying it once ("thought of the worst word I could say") doesn't make me want to bring out a pitchfork. Do I think he's a legit racist and enjoys the suffering of us black folk? Nope.

There isn't one 'burn him at the stake' individual in this thread that hasn't said something equally shitty, the only difference being he's very popular and you are not.

I think it's also interesting with situations like this, nothing ever really seems to be enough; as if he didn't release an apology, he'd be lambasted for not caring, but because he did release one, now he needs to do more and he should hold a committee with people of color to bring awareness to the world that there are racists out there and there are certain words that 'shouldn't' be used due to the history behind them.

He apologized, I'll continue not paying attention to him because his content is annoying af.

jelly

Google not feel like doing anything.....

They need to get a grip. Ban him, leave his page up but in big font, he broke this rule etc, we don't condone racism etc. slapped on his page, you can't watch his videos just find out why he was banned, the reasons, educate users and parents that these are rules, reasons and Google/YouTube won't stand for it. This applies to everyone. Bring the hammer down, use that AI, use the tech, do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom