• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie Responds after using racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireVoa

Not a fan of his but I know a few of my friends are and this apology will more than likely keep them in his corner. I guess for his fans, he is going to need to do something worse than racial slurs (can't believe you'd have to up that) to be distanced from him all together.

brawly

It took him two days to make an apology and it's not even a long one.

You can tell he didn't think it was a big deal when it happened and he did this because of the growing backlash.

Anarion07

Honestly, if you see the comments on the video and look at the likes/dislikes, then come and read this thread, you can clearly see the echo chamber that gaf lives in.

That might stem from the fact that
1. His subscribers are more likely to accept his apology, hence the likes
2. Youtube comments. No comment needed.
3. GAF and PDP audience probably don't overlap much, in taste and age

Not quoting the post just made recently but...

...jesus, can't fucking Junior Members read the first post of this thread before putting down whatever hot take they have up their ass??

Ferr986

Honestly, if you see the comments on the video and look at the likes/dislikes, then come and read this thread, you can clearly see the echo chamber that gaf lives in.

Or maybe the echo chamber are PDP fans spamming likes and writing racists comments on YT?

Those guys are in a bigger echo chamber, where they say to themselves racist is not a big deal.

You know what is not an echo chamber? the real world outside of the internet, and there, like in GAF, if you say that word in your job, you're going to get fired. And if you say in the street, you may have problems. So no, Gaf is not an echo chamber for not being a place that enables racism.

Is it possible that youtube puts ads on videos that the creators don't receive payment for?

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying he didn't monetize it himself. I think he probably did if what people are saying is true. Just asking a question.

From a quick Google search, it sounds like YouTube can put ads in non-monetized videos, but only in specific circumstances. Here is what I found on Youtubes support page:

If your video contains content to which you don’t own all necessary rights, the rights holder may have identified his/her content in your video and chosen to place ads on it. Ads may be displayed on your videos if they contain soundtracks from the AudioSwap library or if the content in your video has been identified by Content ID.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2475463?hl=en

Don't think that this applies to this video. Seems to me like he had the video as monetized initially, but the monetization got removed after the video was put up, either by him or YouTube.

As a black dude who's been hurled these insults since I was a pre-teen (LOT of CS 1.6 -> in my youth) - this dude saying it once ("thought of the worst word I could say") doesn't make me want to bring out a pitchfork. Do I think he's a legit racist and enjoys the suffering of us black folk? Nope.

There isn't one 'burn him at the stake' individual in this thread that hasn't said something equally shitty, the only difference being he's very popular and you are not.

I think it's also interesting with situations like this, nothing ever really seems to be enough; as if he didn't release an apology, he'd be lambasted for not caring, but because he did release one, now he needs to do more and he should hold a committee with people of color to bring awareness to the world that there are racists out there and there are certain words that 'shouldn't' be used due to the history behind them.

He apologized, I'll continue not paying attention to him because his content is annoying af.

There are people in the comment section in the same position as you. I brought this up in the other thread but was met with "these are fake black people (white people) in disguise". Your personal insight and story is gonna be investigated.

TyrantII

With great power comes great responsibility.

PDP has a massive following, and that's power. Apologies just ain't enough, especially since this is apparently a common occurrence.

Dude need to grow up and use his celebrity to do some good on this issue. Word are words, time for actions brother.

Not quoting the post just made recently but...

...jesus, can't fucking Junior Members read the first post of this thread before putting down whatever hot take they have up their ass??

That sort of exemplifies my point. Any person coming to gaf with a different opinion is instantly thrown in the gutter, despite their argument. To the point that a warning was added to this thread as a precaution. Don't you think that shows how a echo chamber can be created.

MechaX

Or maybe the echo chamber are PDP fans spamming likes and writing racists comments on YT?

Those guys are in a bigger echo chamber, where they say to themselves racist is not a big deal.

The limitus test is "would these people say these things to any black person (or minority in general) in a real life setting."

I bet 99% would do so in a heartbeat over YT, but wouldn't dare to do it in real life (because shock, it would have adverse and immediate consequences).

Ferr986

The limitus test is "would these people say these things to any black person (or minority in general) in a real life setting."

I bet 99% would do so in a heartbeat over YT, but wouldn't dare to do it in real life (because shock, it would have adverse and immediate consequences).

That's exactly what I was saying right now in my edit lol its amazing to read that being against racism is being in an echo chamber. These people just aren't attached on how the real world works.

TalonJH

Honestly, how much money can he be making YT that he is worth this much trouble?

I mean I assume he makes a few million a year so YT is making 3-4 times that from him? Is 5-10 million really worth taking a hit to their reputation to a company this big?

I dont think YT are reluctant to ban him because of the money he makes, its a molecule in an ocean. I imagine they havent done it either because it sets an uncomfortable precedent or YT doesnt really have a centralized person in charge making those calls.

Not sure if you've been answered but my VidlQ account says the channel revenue is $252.89K a month, so $3 Mil a year based on a $1.50 cpm(could be higher).

TyrantII

That sort of exemplifies my point. Any person coming to gaf with a different opinion is instantly thrown in the gutter, despite their argument. To the point that a warning was added to this thread as a precaution. Don't you think that shows how a echo chamber can be created.

Oh please.

That's not what the warning is for.

Willenium

when it comes to video game discussion, I can do without the "different opinions" when that opinion is "hey, this racist dude isn't that bad. That word isn't that offensive."

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Despising racism is not an echo chamber.

Anarion07

If you have a legit argument and compose it in a normal, sensitive, civilized way, you will not get banned.

edit: and if you don't make shit up.

Mattenth

I thought his apology was fine, but I'm generally in the camp that apologies are meaningless. They're just words. I want to see action.

An idea, but he should find a place in every stream to say bluntly "Hey kids, toxicity is not OK. Games are supposed to be fun, so if you find yourself getting angry, think about why and how you'd control it. It's OK to feel frustrated, but it's not OK to take out frustration on other people. Never, ever, ever say racist slurs while you're playing. It's not OK." Pseudo-psychology, but I bet saying this near the start of every stream would also eliminate these errors.

The issue I have with PewDiePie is that he's simply a bad role model despite his incredible fame. It's not enough to just "not be bad" or "not be stupid." Someone in his position has an obligation to be a force for good in his conduct and demeanor.

Magwik

Banned
You know, it shouldn't take someone with millions of followers 3-4 days to apologise for publicly calling someone a nigger.
It's good enough for people somehow though.

It makes sense that gaf would have a majority of members that agree. It's a moderated forum that bans assholes who tend to not have a problem with racial slurs, for example. The members here that remain are likely to denounce racists. Whether or not that's a positive or not is up to you. Personally I don't really give a fuck to listen to an apologist for a racist, but ymmv. There's plenty of internet for you to enjoy the 'other side' if you're still not sure that racism is bad.

I thought his apology was fine, but I'm generally in the camp that apologies are meaningless. They're just words. I want to see action.

An idea, but he should find a place in every stream to say bluntly "Hey kids, toxicity is not OK. Games are supposed to be fun, so if you find yourself getting angry, think about why and how you'd control it. It's OK to feel frustrated, but it's not OK to take out frustration on other people. Never, ever, ever say racist slurs while you're playing. It's not OK." Pseudo-psychology, but I bet saying this near the start of every stream would also eliminate these errors.

The issue I have with PewDiePie is that he's simply a bad role model despite his incredible fame. It's not enough to just "not be bad" or "not be stupid." Someone in his position has an obligation to be a force for good in his conduct and demeanor.

He doesn't have the maturity or character to truly understand what even happened, much less what the right thing to do might be. He just barely gets it, you can kind of tell in that apology, just enough to the point that he's aware he's an idiot and admits that. There is no doubt he is a lousy role model, and I think he gets it enough to understand that, too. However, he isn't self aware enough to understand his bigotry and how that played a part in this, and it would require that to begin approaching the point that he could do the right thing.

rrs

judging by the thread, an insincere apology to endlessly acting like a 12 year old who watches too much south park at best, and adding racist and nazi adjacent at worst.
It's like they sign up for gaf to get a ~martyr badge of honor.
"I got perma'd from NeoGAF and all I got was this lousy tshirt" tshirt

Personally PDP is a lost cause. Dude is not going to become a better person after chance 6 or 7. If he manages to not be garbage that's a bonus but it's not something I would put money on.

What bothers me is the total lack of consequences for his actions. We have had 1 company say "No this is garbage, we wont tolerate it".

What do you have to do in this community to face real consequences? Is every single body with the ability to inflict change literally a coward?

He seems sincere. I doubt he never says it, though, and he didn't seem to care much when it happened. I think this is really the last chance he will get. He is hanging on a thread, without a doubt. He already had some developers deny him access, if he does it again, I can see some big players hitting him.

Instead of videos denying climate change science, using slurs, sticking up for sexist politicians, he should try to release videos that are emphatically against racism, call out right wingers, and are pro science. I'm tired of these youtubers who claim to be neutral, or centrist, or w/e, yet they only seem to release videos targeted at the left, then complain when people call them racist, or right wing. I'm tired of all the youtubers who seem to think that even the "worst SJWs" are somehow equal to the alt right, or racist. At least H3H3 admitted it was because he was decidedly left wing, and he couldn't make the right wing funny because their stuff was legitimately terrible. That's not enough, though. All of these guy should try to use their leverage to target actual evil, for once.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

When "different opinion" always signifies a vile, ugly, and destructive opinion that has no place in society.

Anarion07

Is there anyone else left to offend? This might be the end of the streak. Shows over folks!

He could say he's an anti vaxxer, believes in a flat earth or doesn't believe in climate change.

^ AmayaPapaya, did he really deny climate change? Can't find anything on that.

It's nice that he finally apologized, but more than anything I think viewers (and people hurt by this) are gonna need time to see first hand how he carries himself moving forward.

LotusHD

Banned
As a black dude who's been hurled these insults since I was a pre-teen (LOT of CS 1.6 -> in my youth) - this dude saying it once ("thought of the worst word I could say") doesn't make me want to bring out a pitchfork. Do I think he's a legit racist and enjoys the suffering of us black folk? Nope.

There isn't one 'burn him at the stake' individual in this thread that hasn't said something equally shitty, the only difference being he's very popular and you are not.

I think it's also interesting with situations like this, nothing ever really seems to be enough; as if he didn't release an apology, he'd be lambasted for not caring, but because he did release one, now he needs to do more and he should hold a committee with people of color to bring awareness to the world that there are racists out there and there are certain words that 'shouldn't' be used due to the history behind them.

He apologized, I'll continue not paying attention to him because his content is annoying af.

Equally shitty things like what?

And of course nothing would be enough when he takes a few days to give out such a weak apology. It wouldn't matter anyways given his track record, best thing he can do is well, actually have it reflect in his future actions.

He could say he's an anti vaxxer, believes in a flat earth or doesn't believe in climate change.

Yes. Click on your own discretion if you don't want to give this guy views.

So now you know he's also a moron.

Beefy

He has a past of doing racist shit. Stop trying to make out he is the victim. Also citation needed.

He doesn't deny it as a whole, but he seems to deny that the recent hurricanes had anything to do with climate change. And, for a guy who complained a whole lot that the Wall Street Journal deceived about what he really believed in, he tries his hardest to smear Jennifer Lawrence's position where she talks about climate change and the hurricanes, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH7wMFrWYoA

That's what I remember about the video, anyway. Have a look for yourself, and see if you come to the same conclusion.

pigeon

Banned
I watched the video and shrugged. I thought it was an acceptable apology and the tone seemed right to me. Beyond that, I just don't have the venom left to keep attacking and saying "fuck you" to a person who is apologizing. Maybe I'm too old.

Hopefully he does something positive moving forward.

Alternately, maybe you're just too unaffected by the promotion of white supremacy.

Jombie

Since a PewDiePie comment section is a genuine example of normalcy and rational behavior. Enjoy your vacation.

He said exactly what I thought he would say. And yes, you are a fucking idiot; a fucking idiot that's fortunate enough to be the most successful in a medium where there are no consequences for being a piece of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom