• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie Responds after using racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perineum

Dude is a turd sandwich.

If people could just ignore him and let him slip into not being relevant, then that would be best, but with millions following him there is nothing that will come of this.

The guy could literally do anything at this point and it has 0 effect on him.

PDP sucks and shouldn't use the word, but I do not believe him to be a racist, not like those I've encountered here in Texas. That's all I was saying.

There's many levels of racism. What happened to you in Texas is racism, what PDP did is also racism. Is not the same of scale of severity, obviously, but dosn't mean is not racism.

Neither calling it racist, damages the word and it's meaning, neither muddles or blinds ppl for worse cases of racism.

Jobbs

Banned
You've only offered once piece of evidence for this, and it's not exactly solid.

So I'm assuming all of the people shocked and appalled by his monetization of the video saw this for themselves before hitting reply? Should be easy enough for them to prove it. All I can say is I checked pretty thoroughly and used his other videos as a control and I couldn't get any ads on it.

Beefy

He is definitely brushing what I said aside and placing me in a specific camp based on me not shouting for PDP's head. Having experienced personal racism makes me unique compared to someone who has no idea what it's like (not specifically whoever I replied to earlier, I don't know them) letting me know that what I feel isn't valid.

The reason I mentioned personal experience is because it's valid to the discussion and how I interpret it. However, these discussions tend to snowball into shit-slinging and dismissal coming from people who have never experienced racism or oppression. It will never get old being told that what I feel isn't genuine from people who haven't experienced it, which is why I tend to not say anything about it.

How do you know I haven't been through what you have? Also no brushing, I am just saying racism comes in all different forms. Not just face to face abuse.

Anarion07

PDP himself could invest his own time and money in combating white supremacy, either with monetary donations, which would not be difficult for him, or by using his wide social reach to talk about how bad racism is and promote social justice. Plenty of celebrities do exactly this with their social currency. PDP does the opposite -- he literally tells all his viewers that he knows they think saying n*gg*r is fine. What effect do you think that has on their perspectives about racism?

That would be a nice idea. He did raise millions for various charities already, so why not in this sector? Actions talk louder than apologies.

I keep watching videos of youtubers saying:"he's not a racist, he used the word in a moment of frustration" and then following up with "I'm not condoning what he said, it was wrong".
Just grow a pair and defend someone saying the word "nigger" to someone else in a public stream watched by millions or just condemn it and reject that shit. It's not rocket science.

are those other youtubers just scared to be called "SJW cucks" and lose subscribers?

I also made the mistake to watch the comment sections of those videos. Huge mistake.

RRockman

Banned
He is definitely brushing what I said aside and placing me in a specific camp based on me not shouting for PDP's head. Having experienced personal racism makes me unique compared to someone who has no idea what it's like (not specifically whoever I replied to earlier, I don't know them) letting me know that what I feel isn't valid.

The reason I mentioned personal experience is because it's valid to the discussion and how I interpret it. However, these discussions tend to snowball into shit-slinging and dismissal coming from people who have never experienced racism or oppression. It will never get old being told that what I feel isn't genuine from people who haven't experienced it, which is why I tend to not say anything about it.

PDP sucks and shouldn't use the word, but I do not believe him to be a racist, not like those I've encountered here in Texas. That's all I was saying.

No, he should be called out on it, which he has been.

I'm curious what you think should be done other than him being called out on it and making an apology?

Probably

Well considering out here you'd lose your job, maybe close his account and force him ton use some other means of getting videos out there?

And broham, how the monkey bump do you even decide if people have experienced racism or not? I was with my mother and sister in a store and we were getting looks from a woman. Didn't think much of it till her little girl said out loud "WOW THEY SURE ARE BLACK!"

This is but one incident I have experienced. Is there any way you could have known that about me with out me telling you? Who are you to assume who has and who hasn't experienced racism? Why do you think that assuming only you have experienced it is a good was to discuss or to see things?

cordy

Banned
He'll never change. Not surprised by this PR response.

As another black dude who's also gotten more than his share of insults, our desensitizing to the word doesn't negate the larger impact of his normalizing it, especially so in conjunction with recent issues like his Nazi bullshit and jontrons nonsense creating the overall narrative that this is the what the gaming community is and should be with younger, impressionable minds.

And whataboutisms and hand-waving it away under the guise of being black and larger than "a word" is as slippery a slope as it is a massive affront to progressing away from having to even discuss these things.

Yessir.

I'm black as well and I've been living in the South for my entire 30 years. Completely agree with you.

Mr-Joker

Banned
After watching the apology video, which is just pathetically titled, and I have to say but I don't believe that he's has actually learnt anything from what has happened or from his past mistake thus his apology comes off as being very hollow.

If it was me that had done it, not that I would as I have never said that word in my life nor do I want to, I would actually take the time to explain to the uneducated viewers to why the word is a volatile word and why it's okay for Black people to say it as it's a form of them taking back control and depowering the word from the people that oppressed them.

Honestly Felix will mess up again as he has correctly said in the video, he's an idiot who gives no regard to other people and will do the same thing again with his fan base leaping to his defense because they don't know any better.

D i Z

I don't think they are brainwashed. I think most of these people are fighting a proxy war for themselves. Basically saying it's okay for them to do it. There has to be a non negligible group of gamers who grew up in the age of online gaming and using slurs is just normal to them. And they desperately want to make it normal to everyone.

This is a huge part of it.

Surprisingly authentic sounding apology. Was ready to say fuck this guy, but we'll see.

Seriously? I hate when people want me to be mad at the things they are mad at and are mad at me when I'm not. But with ALL of the shit he has said and done to this point you still can't say "fuck him" then short of him personally calling you deragotary word it's hard to imagine you ever will.

I just can't even

Farsi

I'm so relieved he didn't come out and try to make excuses.

Just stop fucking up Felix. There are hard working people out there trying to make the most they can out of youtube before it's too late. Don't speed up the process.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Obviously nothing he could do would fix it, but as a thought experiment I keep playing over in my head how his apology could be better....

I have like 1,000 ways so far.

pswii60

For someone to even 'accidentally' use that language in that casual way tells me all I need to know about the person. They have no respect for others.

jono51

Banned
Pretty much everything I would say has already been said, but I just wanted to call out how this guy really needs repaint his disgusting yellowing window sill and skirting board. Pick up a can of fucking paint you bum. Rich, lazy AND stupid.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
For someone to even 'accidentally' use that language in that casual way tells me all I need to know about the person. They have no respect for others.

Yup. And how long it took him to make this apology. And his comments from later that day about how he really feels

Venfayth

The calculated mediocrity of his apology is somehow more unsettling to me than if he had just said something repugnant.

Would be happy for his actions to prove me wrong, but until he does something positive, I'm just going to assume he's a piece of shit who revealed more of himself than he wanted to.

Johndoey

Banned
I keep watching videos of youtubers saying:"he's not a racist, he used the word in a moment of frustration" and then following up with "I'm not condoning what he said, it was wrong".
Just grow a pair and defend someone saying the word "nigger" to someone else in a public stream watched by millions or just condemn it and reject that shit. It's not rocket science.

are those other youtubers just scared to be called "SJW cucks" and lose subscribers?

I also made the mistake to watch the comment sections of those videos. Huge mistake.
Cowards that are so terrified of taking heat and losing subs they'd rather continue to downplay awful behavior from a man that's making them all look worse by association.
"I'm sorry you got upset."

Fuck outta here.
Exactly. Petulant backhanded bullshit from him.
Absolutely.

As a black dude who's been hurled these insults since I was a pre-teen (LOT of CS 1.6 -> in my youth) - this dude saying it once ("thought of the worst word I could say") doesn't make me want to bring out a pitchfork. Do I think he's a legit racist and enjoys the suffering of us black folk? Nope.

There isn't one 'burn him at the stake' individual in this thread that hasn't said something equally shitty, the only difference being he's very popular and you are not.

I think it's also interesting with situations like this, nothing ever really seems to be enough; as if he didn't release an apology, he'd be lambasted for not caring, but because he did release one, now he needs to do more and he should hold a committee with people of color to bring awareness to the world that there are racists out there and there are certain words that 'shouldn't' be used due to the history behind them.

He apologized, I'll continue not paying attention to him because his content is annoying af.

This guys named dishonest. You can't make this shit up.

"There isn't one 'burn him at the stake' individual in this thread that hasn't said something equally shitty, the only difference being he's very popular and you are not."

You've gotta be kidding me. How shitty are you and the people you know that you honestly believe that? You really believe everyone privately says stuff worsd than nigger? Because I know I haven't.

AS A BLACK DUDE mind you.

DrLazy

I always give people credit for apologizing as it's the right thing to do even if it doesn't absolve them or invoke automatic forgiveness. We live in a media environment that piles on to anyone who admits a mistake. Consider Donald Trump's never apologize mantra.

adversarial

How do you know I haven't been through what you have? Also no brushing, I am just saying racism comes in all different forms. Not just face to face abuse.

(not specifically whoever I replied to earlier, I don't know them) I don't. I made sure to include that. Just relating my experience in general, should have clarified better. It definitely comes in all different forms, and with what I've been dealing w post-trump especially, this is small-potatoes to me. Still shitty, of course, but maybe that's seen as ignorant to some of you, and that's okay.

This guys named dishonest. You can't make this shit up.

"There isn't one 'burn him at the stake' individual in this thread that hasn't said something equally shitty, the only difference being he's very popular and you are not."

You've gotta be kidding me. How shitty are you and the people you know that you honestly believe that? You really believe everyone privately says stuff worth than nigger? Because I know I haven't.

AS A BLACK DUDE mind you.

Yup, people are shitty. I've been playing online for more than 15 years. As shitty as it seems, the ratio of ignorant, angry racists who shout racist shit at me as soon as they find out I'm black to those that don't is slim. I'm glad that's not the case for you.

LotusHD

Banned
I always give me people credit for apologizing as it's the right thing to do even if it doesn't absolve them or invoke automatic forgiveness. We live in a media environment that piles on to anyone who admits a mistake. Consider Donald Trump's never apologize mantra. I hate him but he knows if he apologizes for anything people will only jump on him more. So instead he doubles down.

I'm not sure Donald Trump is the best role model here.

Copper

I won't be satisfied until his entire name and branding is torn down. Hell don't even stop there, make his entire family become responsible for his actions. Only if we make an example can we show that this type of behavior is unacceptable. Absolutely sickening. I'm not accepting this "apology" in the slightest.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I always give me people credit for apologizing as it's the right thing to do even if it doesn't absolve them or invoke automatic forgiveness. We live in a media environment that piles on to anyone who admits a mistake. Consider Donald Trump's never apologize mantra. I hate him but he knows if he apologizes for anything people will only jump on him more. So instead he doubles down.

Good thing PDP has apologized, done something along the same lines again, apologized, done another thing along the same lines, apologized once again, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Hollow words.

cordy

Banned
One thing that comes to mind in all of this is how dude and his followers can't even be honest to themselves and others about their position towards using the word. We know how they truly feel, don't sugarcoat it and act like things are ok when they are. We know what you really think. It's a cycle and it'll continue to happen repeatedly.

Lord knows how they'd feel if they were black (like myself and many others) and were called that in front of their faces. They wouldn't be able to handle that. Maybe then they'd understand it.

thumb

Banned
(not specifically whoever I replied to earlier, I don't know them) I don't. I made sure to include that. Just relating my experience in general, should have clarified better. It definitely comes in all different forms, and with what I've been dealing w post-trump especially, this is small-potatoes to me. Still shitty, of course, but maybe that's seen as ignorant to some of you, and that's okay.

This issue is not attracting all this heat because everyone desperately cares about what PDP privately thinks about black people. This is something much bigger. When you say "small potatoes," you are minimizing PDP's power to influence literally millions of people, including many children and adolescents. This also matters because YouTubers--most prominently PDP--directly affect the culture around gaming.

He doesn't deny it as a whole, but he seems to deny that the recent hurricanes had anything to do with climate change. And, for a guy who complained a whole lot that the Wall Street Journal deceived about what he really believed in, he tries his hardest to smear Jennifer Lawrence's position where she talks about climate change and the hurricanes, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH7wMFrWYoA

That's what I remember about the video, anyway. Have a look for yourself, and see if you come to the same conclusion.

That whole video is just him defending Trump holy shit. That legit looked like a fox news segment. Tries to make these people who believe in climate change look dumb. I also love how he says im trying to make this comedic, I saw absolutely no comedy, just some dude defending trump and pretending he is smarter then them

LotusHD

Banned
That's the opposite of what he is saying though?
I do agree with the general feeling- we should give a chance in general to people who apologize.

However, here.... eh. Few too many times around.

I'm saying the implication that Trump's "never apologize" mantra has its merits falls flat considering the things Trump tends to never apologize for. Nor would it do much good for PDP saying the N-word, as that is definitely something you give an apology for, regardless of whether anyone would (rightfully) think that he's being insincere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom