• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie Responds after using racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanashrew

Banned
(not specifically whoever I replied to earlier, I don't know them) I don't. I made sure to include that. Just relating my experience in general, should have clarified better. It definitely comes in all different forms, and with what I've been dealing w post-trump especially, this is small-potatoes to me. Still shitty, of course, but maybe that's seen as ignorant to some of you, and that's okay.

Yup, people are shitty. I've been playing online for more than 15 years. As shitty as it seems, the ratio of ignorant, angry racists who shout racist shit at me as soon as they find out I'm black to those that don't is slim. I'm glad that's not the case for you.

This is so dumb. You think it's small potatoes now?

PDP is the only YouTuber that can get picked up by mainstream media like BBC news when he does something of note. His reach is tremendous. And his audience is largely kids and teens, and PDP helps to normalize terrible behavior that they will mimic.

I won't be satisfied until his entire name and branding is torn down. Hell don't even stop there, make his entire family become responsible for his actions. Only if we make an example can we show that this type of behavior is unacceptable. Absolutely sickening. I'm not accepting this "apology" in the slightest.

alright, well that's a bit much. This is all on him

edit: the ban was swift

adversarial

This issue is not attracting all this heat because everyone desperately cares about what PDP privately thinks about black people. This is something much bigger. When you say "small potatoes," you are minimizing PDP's power to influence literally millions of people, including many children and adolescents. This also matters because YouTubers--most prominently PDP--directly affect the culture around gaming.

That's very true, good point. I was speaking to how it impacted me, as a minority, in this post-trump era. Very good point.

Do you think these same children and adolescents then see that he "apologizes" and realize they probably shouldn't say it if PDP says it's a bad word?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That's very true, good point. I was speaking to how it impacted me, as a minority, in this post-trump era. Very good point.

Do you think these same children and adolescents then see that he "apologizes" and realize they probably shouldn't say it if PDP says it's a bad word?

Not with the way he apologized.

Definitely not with that "heated gaming moment" excuse.

adversarial

Not with the way he apologized.

That's kind of why I put it in quotations, but then thought that kids aren't going to pick up on subtleties that an adult might and see an apology as disingenuous. I figure a 10 year old will just see a "I apologize for using this word, it's a terrible word" and go with that.

Why? He said he hates that part of the gaming community and hates being a part of it now, calling it immature etc.

His audience won't care about "i'm sorry for what I did " vs "I'm sorry If I upset anyone"

That's what I figured, but who knows.

I always give people credit for apologizing as it's the right thing to do even if it doesn't absolve them or invoke automatic forgiveness. We live in a media environment that piles on to anyone who admits a mistake. Consider Donald Trump's never apologize mantra.

You're right at that aspect that he's better than Trump when it comes to apologies however that's a fucking really low bar to clear.

The problem is he has apologized over and over and over and over again everytime he's caught saying something hateful because he thinks it is "lulz". Mind you, each offense is worse than the previous one. The fact that he can keep apologizing without suffering any consequences for his action is worrisome as this adult man is an entertainer to many kids and teens.

RRockman

Banned

No. Because this is our third time around this crappy ride. he says something offensive "oh I'm sowwy" then rinse and repeat. Look at the comments of his video. Half of the people posting "nigger" I promise you are dumb kids who are doing it because they think that it's actually ok and that pewdieidiot is just covering his back.

L Thammy

PDP did nothing to explain why it's wrong.

Anarion07

No. Because this is our third time around this crappy ride. he says something offensive "oh I'm sowwy" then rinse and repeat. Look at the comments of his video. Half of the people posting "nigger" I promise you are dumb kids who are doing it because they think that it's actually ok and pewdieidiot is just covering his back.

YouTube comments are always edgy kids trying to look cool.

Edit: he should definitely have specified WHY its wrong

thumb

Banned

No. The problem is that what he is communicating is mainly that he is sorry for saying a bad word. That it was immature or stupid to do so. This massively underplays what's actually at stake, and suggests that the issue is one of politeness and etiquette.

Kids know that there are many taboo terms that they are not supposed to say in polite company. What they don't know is that some of these words are not simply mean or scatological, but figuratively embed hundreds of years of systematic hate, oppression, and elsavement. These words need to be treated with a different approach.

Nanashrew

Banned
YouTube comments are always edgy kids trying to look cool.

After he made the death to all jews joke and got called out for it, he apologized. Then he immediately started selling t-shirts based on the controversy and continued to make concentration camp jokes on Twitter.

Pewdiepie is a liar and the people defending him know this.

D i Z

Your entire approach to this situation seems to be couched in how it affects you, and exclusively you. That's whats been jamming you up.

These kids aren't going to realize shit. This is being framed right now as him taking the high road and pacifying the snowflakes. He's not talking to them. He's talking to the powers that be that can fuck his money up, the industry that produces content, and other YouTubers that are side eyeing him right now. He's made no direct comment to his fan base about how they should be better than they are, or how their approach as a collective should be examined on these issues.

DrBo42

I found myself thinking "That's one of his better apologies." But the fact he keeps getting into these situations without learning anything about his behavior means it's most likely going to keep happening. I think he's slowly piecing together the impact he has on the audience but he always falls short of what message to hammer home like: Don't say that word. Don't normalize this hateful shit. It's not cool or edgy to hate people based on their skin or religion or sexual preference or identity etc. This "sorry to those who are offended" shit is garbage. Might as well say sorry I got caught.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Your entire approach to this situation seems to be couched in how it affects you, and exclusively you. That's whats been jamming you up.

These kids aren't going to realize shit. This is being framed right now as him taking the high road and pacifying the snowflakes. He's not talking to them. He's talking to the powers that be that can fuck his money up, the industry that produces content, and other YouTubers that are side eyeing him right now. He's made no direct comment to his fan base about how they should be better than they are, or how their approach as a collective should be examined on these issues.

Well put.

Veldin

Part of this guy's legacy is teaching more people that it's ultimately okay to say nigger, especially if you're a white celebrity. He could've not apologized at all and people would still be saying he's not racist and it's alright.

My hope is that his fans get straightened the fuck out when they try to throw slurs around in the real world where they don't have an internet mob to fall back on.

adversarial

These kids aren't going to realize shit. This is being framed right now as him taking the high road and pacifying the snowflakes. He's not talking to them. He's talking to the powers that be that can fuck his money up, the industry that produces content, and other YouTubers that are side eyeing him right now.

Yeah, that's definitely it. Which goes back to the "levels of racism" that was being discussed. I came at this from my own personal experience, but didn't take into account his viewer-ship. I figured kids, regardless of who PDP was apologizing to, or how he apologized, they would see that it was bad just for the simple fact that an apology was made. I am probably underestimating these kids and their ability to conceptualize why things are the way they are.

When we have a president that either endorses or does not condemn things like violent racism, it didn't occur to me that PDP "accidentally" saying the word (a third time, apparently) was as big a deal as it could potentially be.

Thanks for the responses.

Usobuko

Banned
After he made the death to all jews joke and got called out for it, he apologized. Then he immediately started selling t-shirts based on the controversy and continued to make concentration camp jokes on Twitter.

Pewdiepie is a liar and the people defending him know this.

I can imagine him masturbating to the stupidity of people who aren't white or male coming to his defence and actively contribute to his income.

Like cattle they were intended to be in this current climate.

pigeon

Banned
That's kind of why I put it in quotations, but then thought that kids aren't going to pick up on subtleties that an adult might and see an apology as disingenuous. I figure a 10 year old will just see a "I apologize for using this word, it's a terrible word" and go with that.

You seem to think kids are a lot dumber than they are.

In all fairness this apology is more than I would have ever expected from him

It still rings hollow following this established pattern of racist humour, but it's something at least

Has there ever been an apology that gaf is on board with?

I've got no love for this guy but the apology seems genuine. I agree with people calling out the fact that he should really speak directly to his fanbase and use this as a teachable moment but otherwise it's good.

Nanashrew

Banned
Pewdiepie is one of the reasons YTers have been getting demonetized and I don't think this apology will do diddly squat to appease those companies. He is a continued liability with his racism.

You can actually put blame on Pewdiepie for this stuff.

https://twitter.com/TheOnlyMikeJ/status/907566452118605826/photo/1
So this is interesting. Advertisers on YouTube can specifically select to not show their ads on gaming content.

DJhSkWdXkAAOmx5.jpg

Keep defending him, watch your money disappear.

I mean to be fair, Justin Bieber got away with it and he's acted far worse than Pewdiepie and is still a jackass, only to a lesser degree and if anything, became even more successful. Pewdiepie isn't anywhere near as big as Bieber, but based on the community and online world, he's extremely relevant.

He will be fine. He will kiss ass for months from now on and then return to the status quo. I think he realized that he can't be like Filthy Frank or iDubzz and get away with whatever he says, mainly due to his larger popularity and audience.

Personally, the outrage towards this is fair and justified given his status. Just wish people would go all out on a consistent basis towards smaller folks who spew this nonsense and really push this kind of negativity out of the community. Online gaming is a toxic environment with very little redeeming qualities nowadays if you aren't playing with friends.

Best wishes.

I call bullshit on his apology. I do see where he is coming from, but I do not think it is sincere.

Normalizing racist terms is totally wrong and I know it has been done by people of different entertainment mediums, but it is unacceptable to be used like this. Especially by a guy like him with that much money and attention. He will keep doing this type of shit while still getting richer. I guarantee it.

I also hate that he says it like" I apologize IF I offended..." he knows he offended people. that kind of statement makes it seem more insincere to me. Like he knows 100% he offended and set people of yet he states that he is sorry only IF he offends someone?

This is in no way an apology. It is a statement of the reasons he left the movie. HE has nothing to apologize for and the statement is not worded as one. I would say I would be more suspect of anyone that sees this as an apology because wth?

That whole video is just him defending Trump holy shit. That legit looked like a fox news segment. Tries to make these people who believe in climate change look dumb. I also love how he says im trying to make this comedic, I saw absolutely no comedy, just some dude defending trump and pretending he is smarter then them

Absolutely. His whole point is that he hates when people take a tragedy and use it to boost their own political beliefs, but then he literally just shot out a ton of right-wing talking points. What do you expect from someone who, when caught previously, ran to his Sargon of Akkad safe-space, instead of really admitting he was wrong? Where else would he have gotten these ideas from? Dude is from Sweden, there aren't climate change deniers there in politics. Denying climate change is something unique to US politics. He is definitely getting influenced by these people. He reminds me of Donald Trump in that regard. When rightfully accused of doing something wrong, he ran to the only people in the room, willing to defend him. Now they are whispering in his ear, and it's obvious.

I hope that he actually commits to change after this. I would only believe it if, instead of releasing his thousandths video defending some right-wing position, he releases a video making fun of a racist, or something to that degree. I disagree with H3H3, racists are easier to make fun of.

But will he do it??

This is in no way an apology. It is a statement of the reasons he left the movie. HE has nothing to apologize for and the statement is not worded as one. I would say I would be more suspect of anyone that sees this as an apology because wth?
More an apology on the casting in the first place and Ed Skrein stepping up to the plate as the face of it to realise the problem of it and letting someone else take the role.

There haven't been many good apologies lately, so maybe you can come with better examples :)

one starts to wonder how many views PDP has got from people watching videos to see the hateful/racist shit he's said this time, then watch the video where he apologizes, ad infinitum...barring actual consequences, at some point we are marks in this.

The apology seemed very sincere.

I am looking forward to how sincere the next apology for the exact same behavior will be.

pretty much

That whole video is just him defending Trump holy shit. That legit looked like a fox news segment. Tries to make these people who believe in climate change look dumb. I also love how he says im trying to make this comedic, I saw absolutely no comedy, just some dude defending trump and pretending he is smarter then them

Jesus fucking christ. That video is literally bile.

I never got that. Dude did some serious line stepping harassment bullshit and people let him off the hook? Nah, son. Anyway, not for this thread.

Read the last 5 pages of the thread.

What's positive about this is that the people who were defending him for his use of the word won't have a leg to stand on, especially racists. If he'd, for whatever reason, doubled down, we'd see racists emboldened by it (just look at Trump).

Whether you like him or not, he does have influence over a lot of kids (over 50 million subs on youtube). So him apologizing and trying to take responsibility for his use of the word is a good thing.

If he isn't going away, I'd rather he change for the better. I hope he does, for the sake of his young audience.

Personally, I have no issue with people staying the hell away from anything he does either permanently or until he's proven himself.

I'm curious do you think he does this purely to get attention to keep his brand in the media? This is free advertising for him. He had 57 million followers yesterday and still has them... Not sure how many he had at the time of the incident.

I think his apology is sincere....for the wrong reasons. I doubt he'll reign in the edgy shtick, and he clearly has no intention of setting his viewers straight. A lot of comments surrounding this are horrendous and its because PDP hasn't really condemned the usage of the slur, nor has he discouraged anyone from giving him a pass on it

90sRobots

I won't be satisfied until his entire name and branding is torn down. Hell don't even stop there, make his entire family become responsible for his actions. Only if we make an example can we show that this type of behavior is unacceptable. Absolutely sickening. I'm not accepting this "apology" in the slightest.

I'd love to know how this post violates NeoGAF's ToS.

Mael

Isn't that the apology that was broken down line by line of why it's actually not a real apology lol

Yep, it's still much much better than PDP shitty response.

I'd love to know how this post violates NeoGAF's ToS.

If you're really interested you can ask a mod via PM, just click here for example.
Backseat modding isn't going to do you any favor.
If you don't want to discuss the matter at hand nobody's forcing you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom