• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

Maybe they've already showed it before, but CNN will do a walkthrough of their hologram technologies in a couple of minutes. They even used "You're my only hope Obi-wan". :D

esbern

1225890455052st0.jpg

Bowser said:
Wow. Seems McCain got a raw deal by all those surrounding him; he lost control of his campaign and that's a shame.

Yeah, it gives me a small glimmer of consolation that the John McCain from 2000 was still there in a tiny fragment in this election. I think a lot of people knew that his campaign was highly uncharacteristic of him.

SolidSnakex said:
No one should feel sorry for him. He claimed he's run a clean campaign just as Obama did, Obama came through with his promise while McCain didn't. McCain has no one to blame but himself for what happened to his chances.

I meant to say how republicans stole his nomination from him and controlled his every move. I really dont think he was in control . I think he was still shocked and the republicans were still shocked that Romney or Huckabee did not win

platypotamus said:
Oh I forgot this little story for GAF:

During my mojito fueled election night hang-out last night:

I said something positive about Biden, can't remember what exactly.

My wife's friend: "Is he white?"

She also, at one point, asked where Palin was from.

I almost kicked her out of the house.

i had somebody last weekend ask me if palin was going to be obama's VP when he wins

keep on keeping on, america

artredis1980 said:
I really believe we will have a book from McCain which will spill the secrets of how the Republicans destroyed his chances
Maybe. But in all honesty, he never had a chance in this election. 2000's McCain would have been defeated just as badly, if not worse, in this climate.

artredis1980 said:
I wanted to hear Obama say the following in his acceptance speech...

"As Salaamu Alaikum, first of all thanks to Allah. Boys and girls did good on campaign trail and thanks to crowd for voting me. BTW, yes I am a Muslim. Ahaahhahahhahahahaha!!"

:lol :lol :lol :lol thread is full of awesomeness

I went crazy last night when Ohio was called. It was at that point I knew it was over, and I was both happy and in disbelief that, yes, something good can actually come from Ohio.

We're going to hear a lot of rumors but I bet Obama hits us with more than a few curveballs with his picks.

I love that shot of Ron Paul. He's alone. So very, very alone.

Macam

Banned
StoOgE said:
Dont worry man, the amount of tequilla that I consumed last night, I dont remember half of it :lol

From what I remember of last night, aside from the incessant yelling and celebrating in the streets outside the Driskill, I seem to recall trying to make a new shot called the Eight Year Eraser. It didn't taste very good, but that seems appropriate.

Creasy said:
Thanks Steve. Best decision you made the entire campaign.

Few things make me happier than never having to hear from her or Joe the Plumber ever again. Good riddance.

Fragamemnon said:
I went crazy last night when Ohio was called. It was at that point I knew it was over, and I was both happy and in disbelief that, yes, something good can actually come from Ohio.

For some reason I really wanted VA to be the one called for Obama that won it. Ahh well, I'll take ohio ;):lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Hitokage said:
The Obama vote in Virginia was late as hell coming in. :(

Yea, and the margin was much tighter than expected.

After 2006 we shouldn't have been surprised, it took 3 days for Webb's vote to come in!

For some reason I had this image of having everything on the table decided but the battlegrounds, then they would start rolling in all at once. Ohio came way too early, where was the foreplay?

Obama won despite!

1. Him being only a Junior Senator
2. Him being a Junior Senator for only 2 years
3. Him being Black
4. His first name rhyming with Osama
5. His middle name the same as Iraq's leader
6. His Muslim father
7. Rev Wright
8. Rev Fladger
9. Louis Farakhan
10. Rezko
11. Ayers
12. more than 20% of Americans think he is a Muslim
13. More than 20% of Americans think he is a terrorist
14. Hillary
15. Him being a senator and not a governer, first time thats happened in decades
16. Bittergate
17. Biden Gaffe's

belvedere said:
Anyone have links to the Fox meltdown(s) that occurred last night?

i don't think there were any. they were wise enough not to have hannity and morris or any of them on.

but the mood at studio was obviously somber. everbody looked like their dog just died.

i expect a hannity melt down all week though

glistenm

Banned
artredis1980 said:
Obama won despite!

3. Him being Black
6. His Muslim father
7. Rev Wright
8. Rev Fladger
9. Louis Farakhan
10. Rezko
11. Ayers
14. Hillary
15. Him being a senator and not a governer, first time thats happened in decades
16. Bittergate
17. Biden Gaffe's

Hypnosis trumps all that.

artredis1980 said:
I meant to say how republicans stole his nomination from him and controlled his every move. I really dont think he was in control . I think he was still shocked and the republicans were still shocked that Romney or Huckabee did not win

They were talking about this on CNN. One of them mentioned how he believed McCain's problem was that he allowed Republicans to convince him that he needed to secure the vote of the hard right because he really wasn't liked by many of them. And that's where the Palin pick came from. But he really started trying to get their vote before that. Like in 06 when he spoke at Falwell's college after calling him an agent of intolerance.

TiVo

3rdman said:
Well I just bought my tickets to the inauguration!!!!!! It'll be my first time in Washington as well!
:D

Where did you get tickets? R U sure it aint a scam site? I called Barack's official number and a volunteer told me to go to here http://inaugural.senate.gov/index.cfm

And I see no info on tickets being sold yet.

Also called
202-224-6352

And she said those sites might be fake cause tickets will be handed out by congressional folks, you gotta contact them to get on a list.

Most of what I am hearing offhand is that Republicans are blaming the actors of movement conservatism ( Bush, old corrupt Republican congress ) and the effects of movement conservatism ( financial shitheap, record deficits ), but not actually taking any real look at said conservatism at all as being possibly flawed.

Expect more crazy policy ideas from the looney farm in the next couple of years.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Tyrone Slothrop said:
i don't think there were any. they were wise enough not to have hannity and morris or any of them on.

but the mood at studio was obviously somber. everbody looked like their dog just died.

i expect a hannity melt down all week though

Somewhere in the chaos last night I swore I saw someone mention a Fox meltdown.

Wishful thinking can't be ruled out though, of course.

:lol

Fragamemnon said:
Regarding Lieberman-you all do realize that he has a very strong liberal track record on a lot of key issues, right? He has a dreadful neoconservative streak on foreign policy matters but as a Senator that's not super meaningful.

He's pro-censorship, foreign policy hawk, pro free-trade, anti-consumer-protection, pro-No-Child-Left-Behind, anti-Geneva-convention-rights-for-prisoners-of-war. I don't think just left-leaning positions on gay and abortion rights are enough to qualify someone as a Democrat.

artredis1980 said:
Obama won despite!

3. Him being Black
6. His Muslim father
7. Rev Wright
8. Rev Fladger
9. Louis Farakhan
10. Rezko
11. Ayers
14. Hillary
16. Bittergate
17. Biden Gaffe's
BRADLEY EFFECT
Not touching Palin
Being a Democrat

Actually that reminds me. There was this awesome discussion last night on uh... MSNBC? About how Obama wasn't really a democrat, he was an Obamacrat. He won dem states by not being a republican and then went and kicked ass in buplican states all on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom