• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Obama's presidency goes ok, OK is better than the last 8 years of bullshit

and furthermore in 8 years the following will be put to rest

1. people thinking he is a muslim
2. people thinking he is a terrorist
3. people thinking he will forgive osama
4. People thinking he loves ayers, rezko, farakhan and wright
5. people thinking he is the most liberal person in america

if he gets rid of even 2-3 of the above, he is pretty much assured a 2nd term

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fragamemnon said:
Most of what I am hearing offhand is that Republicans are blaming the actors of movement conservatism ( Bush, old corrupt Republican congress ) and the effects of movement conservatism ( financial shitheap, record deficits ), but not actually taking any real look at said conservatism at all as being possibly flawed.

Expect more crazy policy ideas from the looney farm in the next couple of years.
Limbaugh's blaming it all on the effort to court moderates, nevermind that Sarah Palin and McCain's pandering to the right destroyed it. NO, IT OBVIOUSLY CANNOT BE PALIN'S FAULT MCCAIN LOST.

March to Irrelevancy! :D

JaMarco

artredis1980 said:
Obama won despite!

1. Him being only a Junior Senator
2. Him being a Junior Senator for only 2 years
3. Him being Black
4. His first name rhyming with Osama
5. His middle name the same as Iraq's leader
6. His Muslim father
7. Rev Wright
8. Rev Fladger
9. Louis Farakhan
10. Rezko
11. Ayers
12. more than 20% of Americans think he is a Muslim
13. More than 20% of Americans think he is a terrorist
14. Hillary
15. Him being a senator and not a governer, first time thats happened in decades
16. Bittergate
17. Biden Gaffe's
he really did jump HUGE hurdles

jmdajr said:
well damn... its like that last scene from braveheart.
where the princess admits to the king that wallace knocked her up.
Not to be badmouthing the dead, but he was a pretty "hardcore" right winger.

And I mean something far meaner by "hardcore".

Honestly, I really don't understand all the hullabaloo over electing Obama. Sure, he's black...well, half anyway but I've always just looked at him as a man and not a black man.

TiVo

TiVo said:
Where did you get tickets? R U sure it aint a scam site? I called Barack's official number and a volunteer told me to go to here http://inaugural.senate.gov/index.cfm

And I see no info on tickets being sold yet.

Also called
202-224-6352

And she said those sites might be fake cause tickets will be handed out by congressional folks, you gotta contact them to get on a list.

Trying to help here don't let this info get buried

Jamesfrom818 said:
Honestly, I really don't understand all the hullabaloo over electing Obama. Sure, he's black...well, half anyway but I've always just looked at him as a man and not a black man.
Wait, he's black?

Zyzyxxz

So when does this topic close? Its been a longtime in the coming but we'd better lock this before we get some nasty debates over nothing.

Zoe

Macam said:
From what I remember of last night, aside from the incessant yelling and celebrating in the streets outside the Driskill, I seem to recall trying to make a new shot called the Eight Year Eraser. It didn't taste very good, but that seems appropriate.

Haha, you were there too? We eventually had to practically drag one of our friends from the crowd after an hour on the street so we could go home.

dacuk

Phoenix Fang said:
zx6yi8.jpg
:lol

Opiate

Fragamemnon said:
Most of what I am hearing offhand is that Republicans are blaming the actors of movement conservatism ( Bush, old corrupt Republican congress ) and the effects of movement conservatism ( financial shitheap, record deficits ), but not actually taking any real look at said conservatism at all as being possibly flawed.

Expect more crazy policy ideas from the looney farm in the next couple of years.

This is what I'm waiting to see. Typically the "politics are a pendulum, it will swing the other way" sort of talk holds great water, but that pendulum assumes that a party will rethink its positions when the pendulum swings far away from it. They figure out what wasn't working, reinvent themselves, and prime up for a come back.

This time -- at least so far -- it seems like the base of the Republican party refuses to accept that their actual policy positions are at fault here. It's impossible to believe that the Republican party itself will die off (it won't), but at this exact moment, it seems like the core constituency of the party would rather stay the course and go down with guns blazing then admit fault or error.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Zyzyxxz said:
So when does this topic close? Its been a longtime in the coming but we'd better lock this before we get some nasty debates over nothing.
There are still elections left unsettled!

PhatSaqs

Banned
JamesfromMars said:
He's black but I bet you're not.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Fragamemnon said:
I went crazy last night when Ohio was called. It was at that point I knew it was over, and I was both happy and in disbelief that, yes, something good can actually come from Ohio.

Yeah, when Ohio was called for him, that was when I finally let go of all my inner apprehension and big smile broke out across my face. It's still there today.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
master15 said:
Newsweek has put up part 2 of their fasinating look into the behind the scenes of the campaigns. Part 2 is all about Mccain's sloppy start, there's some fasinating insight here. Must read folks;

http://www.newsweek.com/id/167639/page/1

Oh, Old McCain:

"McCain was never comfortable playing the front runner. His comment when he first walked through headquarters was "It's awfully big." McCain was ill suited to be the establishment's man. He was suspect to the true believers on the right, the Rush Limbaugh "dittoheads" who regarded him as a RINO (Republican in Name Only). While the Republican right wanted to build a wall and keep out all the immigrants, McCain was trying to forge a compromise—with Ted Kennedy, no less. The party stalwarts had reason to be doubtful about McCain, who could be salty in his private denunciations. To a couple of his closest advisers he grumbled, "What the f––– would I want to lead this party for?"

"He would eventually come to embrace the younger Bush at the 2000 Republican convention, awkwardly hugging a rather startled-looking Bush around the midsection, as high as McCain's war-damaged arms could go. Privately, he told one of his closest aides that he strongly disliked Bush (the word the aide used was "detests")."

PhatSaqs said:
He's black but I bet you're not.

Pretty much. I'm Hispanic and I feel like Obama broke the glass ceiling for those of darker colors. When I have kids, I'll be able to say them and honestly mean it that they too can be President. A week ago, I wouldn't have been able to say that. It is such an amazing feeling.

artredis1980 said:
Obama won despite!

1. Him being only a Junior Senator
2. Him being a Junior Senator for only 2 years
3. Him being Black
4. His first name rhyming with Osama
5. His middle name the same as Iraq's leader
6. His Muslim father
7. Rev Wright
8. Rev Fladger
9. Louis Farakhan
10. Rezko
11. Ayers
12. more than 20% of Americans think he is a Muslim
13. More than 20% of Americans think he is a terrorist
14. Hillary
15. Him being a senator and not a governer, first time thats happened in decades
16. Bittergate
17. Biden Gaffe's

To be fair, 12 and 13 are the same people. There are very few people that think he is one and not the other.

The speedy news cycle was a big factor. Obama was in the lead and the insane news cycle didn't give McCain time to get anything to stick to him. It also didn't help that McCain's accusations were almost entirely baseless.

Jamesfrom818 said:
The average American under 30 has grown up during the absolutely ridiculous shit Clinton went through at his end of term and then the insanity of Bush. It's not about being black, although that's nice, it's about the triumph of the intelligentsia and defeat of fear-mongering assholes. I don't know if you are American or not, but for the last decade plus the politics of this country truly have seemed hopeless for your average twenty something college grad. That's why Obama's campaign was so strong, why his internet force so successful. It sounds trite, but people were fucking desperate for change.

besada

Banned
Seth C said:
Hey, can Bill Clinton take a cabinet position?

He could if he were offered one, but he won't be.

It's more likely hillary will get an offer (which I also don't think will happen).

devilhawk

Fragamemnon said:

Why can't we blame neocons again? What is wrong with true moderate conservatism? Bush was not proof of anything other than neocons sucks.

Hitokage said:
Limbaugh's blaming it all on the effort to court moderates, nevermind that Sarah Palin and McCain's pandering to the right destroyed it. NO, IT OBVIOUSLY CANNOT BE PALIN'S FAULT MCCAIN LOST.

March to Irrelevancy! :D
Yeah . . . this is some of the best stuff of the election . . . instead of rationally figuring out why they lost, they are just ignoring reality and sticking with faith-based politics. Never mind the polls that conclusively showed that Palin was millstone around McCain's neck . . . they'll just go farther right! Right into the wilderness of unelectability.

Hmm. So Dick Luger turned down a role in his cabinet? I hope Obama brings in at least two Republicans in his administration. Would be nice to see the GOP stop crying.

I think any attempt to put Obama's policies directly on the Liberal/Conservative scale completely misses the f'n point. His positions weren't strictly idealistic, they were based on pragmatism and what works.

If we did have to force Obama's round peg into the square hole, sure he'd be a progressive, and the progressive beliefs he holds he put forth without apology. By that standard he's somewhat farther left than we are used to. On a worldwide scale, he'd be pretty centrist.

I guess when people say "Hey This is a center right country" they don't take into account that obama has calibrated that by taking things that work from both parties. Saying he NEEDS to move to the right is foolish, progressive ideas won in this election. Obama needs to govern exactly as he's promised, openly, and by surrounding himself with smart people who disagree.

Seth C

besada said:
He could if he were offered one, but he won't be.

It's more likely hillary will get an offer (which I also don't think will happen).

Yeah, I know neither will happen. I don't like Hillary, so I'm happy about that. I think I just find Bill to be entertaining. MSNBC should offer him a job, like an old football player would get on ESPN. :)

Tamanon said:
I'm pretty sure he can't, not that he ever would want to. Succession would make it an issue.

That was actually what I was curious about. However he could easily be skipped over in succession, as several people in line right now are not eligible to be President anyway (not natural born citizens I believe).

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
obijkenobi said:
Pretty much. I'm Hispanic and I feel like Obama broke the glass ceiling for those of darker colors. When I have kids, I'll be able to say them and honestly mean it that they too can be President. A week ago, I wouldn't have been able to say that. It is such an amazing feeling.

:D :D :D :D Word. Gonna show my kids his speech tonight when I get home.

Hootie

So what will Obama's big message be in the '12 election? This one was ALL about change in Washington, but by then he will be the big man. :lol

Macam

Banned
Fragamemnon said:

Good. That'll give us time to start consolidating the gains of the current coalition.

Zoe said:
Haha, you were there too? We eventually had to practically drag one of our friends from the crowd after an hour on the street so we could go home.

Briefly. I watched most of it at home with my girlfriend before going out. I just wanted to make sure I could hear Obama's speech and follow some of the down ticket races before I started doing brain and liver damage.

And whenever Incognito gets back, we're going to have assemble the Austin area Poli-GAF crew just once.

devilhawk said:
Why can't we blame neocons again? What is wrong with true moderate conservatism? Bush was not proof of anything other than neocons sucks.

Bush's economic team was full of raging supply-siders and free market fundies, too. I'd say that America probably rejected that particular extreme more than it did neoconservatism last night.

Halperin's still a tool, but this line made me chuckle,

McCain: "Lost his bearings as often as he failed to drive a message, and presided over a campaign so disorganized and faction-filled, it might as well have been the effort of a Democrat."

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Man, it seems like everyone around me today has an extra spring in their step. They're smiling just a bit more. Everyone just looks livelier. I feel it.. like a huge burden off my shoulders. Its a magical feeling, one that I hope does not dissipate soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom