• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hootie said:
So what will Obama's big message be in the '12 election? This one was ALL about change in Washington, but by then he will be the big man. :lol
148kq3s.jpg

Fragamemnon said:
Bush's economic team was full of raging supply-siders and free market fundies, too. I'd say that America probably rejected that particular extreme more than it did neoconservatism last night.

Why did Americans reject Clintonomics when Gore was running? Did Gore's personality turned off a lot of voters? It puzzles me that we had such a great economy and then Bush gets elected.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hootie said:
So what will Obama's big message be in the '12 election? This one was ALL about change in Washington, but by then he will be the big man. :lol

He'll have to run on his record. Let's hope its a good one like Clinton's was in 96

3rdman

TiVo said:
Where did you get tickets? R U sure it aint a scam site? I called Barack's official number and a volunteer told me to go to here http://inaugural.senate.gov/index.cfm

And I see no info on tickets being sold yet.

Also called
202-224-6352

And she said those sites might be fake cause tickets will be handed out by congressional folks, you gotta contact them to get on a list.
I'm sorry what I meant to say was I'll be in Washington for the Inauguration but I don't have tickets to the inauguration...you can get them from your local congressman or senator. Start email and writing them and hope you get a pass, but there won't be many.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Why did Americans reject Clintonomics when Gore was running? Did Gore's personality turned off a lot of voters? It puzzles me that we had such a great economy and then Bush gets elected.
America didn't reject Clinton, Gore did. That was such a fucking stupid election...

StoOgE

Jason's Ultimatum said:

he did win the popular vote, so even without getting into the whole Florida thing, American's on the whole didnt reject Clinton.

Seth C

Tamanon said:
Nah, otherwise ex-Presidents would be eligible to be Veep.

To be fair, there are people in line for succession that would have to be skipped right now. Also, there seems to be debate as to whether a two-term President could run for VP (the law says a VP must meet all eligibility requirements to be President, but the only law that would disqualify him is that a President cannot be "elected" a third time -- which a VP would not be, he would be elected VP and would assume the Presidency).

snacknuts

we all knew her
I need to stop watching these reaction videos at work. I get a little choked up every time, and when watching several back to back, I get perilously close to crying like a fat girl on prom night.

Tamanon

Banned
Seth C said:
To be fair, there are people in line for succession that would have to be skipped right now. Also, there seems to be debate as to whether a two-term President could run for VP (the law says a VP must meet all eligibility requirements to be President, but the only law that would disqualify him is that a President cannot be "elected" a third time -- which a VP would not be, he would be elected VP and would assume the Presidency).

Either way, it's a moot point anyways, no President would ever go back to work in a cabinet position, especially someone raking in massive amounts of cash like Bill.:lol

Shirokun

Pimpwerx said:
Kerry as Sec. State? Ugh. Wouldn't Richardson be better in that role? Hell, I'd even take Clinton in that role. PEACE.

I have no opinion of Kerry in such a role, but Richardson has proven himself worthy. I hope he gets it.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Slurpy said:
Man, it seems like everyone around me today has an extra spring in their step. They're smiling just a bit more. Everyone just looks livelier. I feel it.. like a huge burden off my shoulders. Its a magical feeling, one that I hope does not dissipate soon.

Holy Shit. Slurpy is....happy. Wow. Truly this is history we are witnessing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . this is some of the best stuff of the election . . . instead of rationally figuring out why they lost, they are just ignoring reality and sticking with faith-based politics. Never mind the polls that conclusively showed that Palin was millstone around McCain's neck . . . they'll just go farther right! Right into the wilderness of unelectability.
Oh yeah, he also went on how, according to him, Republicans keep saying conservatism needs to be reinvented but Democrats never say liberalism needs to be reinvented. He gave an off-hand mention of both of Obama's books being autobiographical.

Obviously from those two points he never actually read them.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Bowser said:
538 reporting the GA Senate race is going to a runoff.
538 is late to the party on that.

Speaking of 538, I love the sight but I can't really see a point to it anymore. Its mission is accomplished and really has no more point to itself.

draven

obijkenobi said:
Pretty much. I'm Hispanic and I feel like Obama broke the glass ceiling for those of darker colors. When I have kids, I'll be able to say them and honestly mean it that they too can be President. A week ago, I wouldn't have been able to say that. It is such an amazing feeling.

I feel the exact same way. Even though it seems that the majority of South Florida Hispanics voted against Obama, after his win I truly believe that my 4-month old dark-skinned baby daughter has all the chance in the world to become President when she grows up. And that makes me immensely happy and proud.

Ah, you guys are right. I should've known about the popular vote. Just too much hopium and being tired from last night makes my ability for rational thinking below normal.

Pimpwerx

ViperVisor said:
Half the time on cable news the black folks are GOP hacks. Funny, I thought they didn't want affirmative action.
They don't, but it's better to have a black face spewing Obama hate than a white one. PEACE.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
zesty said:
I need to stop watching these reaction videos at work. I get a little choked up every time, and when watching several back to back, I get perilously close to crying like a fat girl on prom night.
I actually started crying on my way to vote yesterday.

Going from my house in PA to where I voted in NJ (just moved, so not registered in PA yet), I had to drive right through the inner city of Philadelphia. As I was driving around I had the "Signs of Hope and Change" youtube video playing through my speakers.

Seeing the tough streets around me and the people walking around, realizing the weight of what I was about to pull the lever for, I started losing it. The realization that all of this campaigning and work was about to payoff for our country hit me all in one shot.

That was my big moment of the election. The results just confirmed what I had already known: that this man was going to be our president.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
draven said:
I feel the exact same way. Even though it seems that the majority of South Florida Hispanics voted against Obama, after his win I truly believe that my 4-month old dark-skinned baby daughter has all the chance in the world to become President when she grows up. And that makes me immensely happy and proud.

Goddamn I love reading this stuff! :D :D

StoOgE

grandjedi6 said:

Speaking of 538, I love the sight but I can't really see a point to it anymore. Its mission is accomplished and really has no more point to itself.

2010, but really he didnt do so great with the Senate projections.

He'll be back in 2012.

grandjedi6 said:

Maybe he'll have some kind of job at MSNBC with Countdown? Or wait until 2010 elections.

StoOgE

Shirokun said:
It's the only way Martin even has a chance.

It's going to come down 100% to GOTV efforts. I think we'll get it as a result, the Dems have money in the bank to spend and surrogates ready to go.

If we can somehow get Franken+Martin+Merkel somehow (unlikely) we will be in very good position in 2010 to pick up 60.

Shirokun

I'm a little behind on things today, so what's up with the Oregon senate race? Whats holding up the rest of the vote being reported?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tamanon said:
I'm pretty sure he can't, not that he ever would want to. Succession would make it an issue.
There is nothing legally stopping Bill from being appointed to a cabinet position. Succession doesn't matter since they just skip over them if they aren't eligible. For example, the current Secretary of Commerce and Secretary of Labor are skipped in the line of succcession since they aren't natural born citizens.

grandjedi6 said:

They need to change thier name, 2012 will have more than 538 EVs for sure.

Rahmbo is a mean dude. He'll fit in, and, to be fair, being Speaker of the House is way less interesting in this environment than WH Chief of Staff is. :)

I saw on Halperin's site that RFK Jr. might be the EPA chief. That would send the conservatives into a real tizzy.

That job is tough as rocks though, and he has young kids :/
Due to the stressful and demanding nature of the job, the average term-of-service for a White House Chief of Staff is a little under two and a half years. John R. Steelman, under Harry S. Truman, was the last Chief of Staff to serve for an entire presidential administration. Steelman also holds the record for longest-serving Chief of Staff (6 years). Andrew Card and Sherman Adams tie for second-longest (5 years each).

Some have suggested that a powerful Chief of Staff with a "hands-off" president (who decides not to become involved in the minutiæ of government), can become a de facto prime minister. Such prime ministers exist in some governmental systems, such as France's and Russia's: The prime minister runs the government (operations-wise), while the president remains somewhat aloof from the political process, but personally handling policy matters. Under Ronald Reagan, Donald Regan was seen by many as a prime minister-style Chief of Staff following James Baker. Howard Baker, who succeeded Regan, was critical of this system and what is sometimes known as the "Imperial Presidency."

By contrast, Andrew Card, President George W. Bush's first Chief of Staff, was not regarded as being as powerful. Some have speculated that this was due to Card being "overshadowed" by the influence of Karl Rove, the Senior Adviser and Deputy Chief of Staff who was "the architect" of Bush's political rise. Similarly, President Bill Clinton's Chiefs of Staff were not particularly powerful.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Can someone explain to me precisely what the Chief of Staff does?

It appears that they are just an general adviser to the president.

At the end of the day... America doesn't always have to fuck up.

Last night hit me more then I thought it would. Tears of joy, disbelief, and then the realization that while our sordid past, the sins of slavery, will never be gone, we've hit a new milestone in our history. Our President Elect is a biracial man with the name Barack Hussein Obama!

The importance of November 4th will never be forgotten. Not by those that lived through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom