• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
reilo said:
Jindal on CNN flat-out lying about Obama's tax positions and of course that moron Blitzer doesn't want to call him out on it.

And Jindal has the fucking galls to say that the "nation doesn't deserve an election on gaffes and other things American people don't care about."

Do these guys ever look in the mirror?

Fixed.

Jindal needs to exorcise his own lying demons.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
That was fucking weird.

reilo and I say the same thing in different words, now max and spec respond to us in the same way, only in different words.

Fucking PoliGAF hivemind. HIVEMIND!

RubxQub

WINDOWS ERROR ON JOE BIDEN'S HOUSE?!

IS HE OK?!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
:lol at CNN's live-watch of the potential VP's homes.

reilo

Former Clinton strategist just mentioned the two "Hillary-lands." The PUMAs and the Peace-Keepers.

Dax01 said:
And who should I vote for, Barr or Nader?
babar.jpg

siamesedreamer said:
The Iraq War debate is over - we won. Your boy was wrong.

I could see where you would be coming from if you said "The Surge debate is over" even if I wouldn't entirely agree.

But you yourself admitted the Iraq War, as a whole, was a mistake, and that's been Obama's argument all along.

So, I don't get what you are saying, unless you are willing to modify at least part of your statement.

reilo

BigJonsson said:
My phone needs to vibrate already!!

This is getting way to tense

Uhm, keep your fetishes out of this thread, thanks!

RubxQub

BigJonsson said:
My phone needs to vibrate already!!

This is getting way to tense
I've got my Blackberry tied to my raging-mega-huge boner. My text message vibrate is the only thing that will allow it to subside back into the depths of my boxers.

edit:

reilo said:
Uhm, keep your fetishes out of this thread, thanks!

Oh shi-

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SnakeswithLasers said:
What are the vegas odds on this thing? It's kind of sad that it's so close.

fuck vegas

www.intrade.com

likelihood of choices for democratic vp (will not add to 100%; the likelihoods are all independent of each other)
joe biden 57%
hillary clinton 15%
evan bayh 14%
chet edwards 13%
wes clark 13%
tim kaine 12%
kathleen sebelius 10%
brain schweitzer 8%
harry reid 8%

republican choices:
mitt romney 47%
tim pawlenty 25%
tom ridge 13%
meg whitman 10%
rob portman 9%
joe lieberman 9%
charlie crist 8%
eric cantor 8%
rudy giuliani 6%

Disagree with those odds? Put your money with your mouth is or don't bother replying.

Mandark said:
siamesedreamer: You're going to have to do better than that.

siamesedreamer said:
That's up to the next president whoever it happens to be. Obviously, Saddam is no longer a threat and he doesn't have $125 oil supporting his regime. Idealy, it involves forward operating bases in a stable, somewhat democratic Iraq. The pieces of the puzzle are in place. We just have to continue our support.

Saddam was no longer a threat before the surge.

The rest seems to be a cryptic comment toward the right to have another war. Is that what we "won" . . . we spend billions to keep our option on another war open?

BTW, have you been keeping up with the news? All your base are belong to Maliki.

David Brooks makes the case for Biden: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/22/opinion/22brooks.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Barack Obama has decided upon a vice-presidential running mate. And while I don’t know who it is as I write, for the good of the country, I hope he picked Joe Biden.

Times columnists David Brooks and Gail Collins discuss the 2008 presidential race.
All Conversations »

Biden’s weaknesses are on the surface. He has said a number of idiotic things over the years and, in the days following his selection, those snippets would be aired again and again.

But that won’t hurt all that much because voters are smart enough to forgive the genuine flaws of genuine people. And over the long haul, Biden provides what Obama needs:

Working-Class Roots. Biden is a lunch-bucket Democrat. His father was rich when he was young — played polo, cavorted on yachts, drove luxury cars. But through a series of bad personal and business decisions, he was broke by the time Joe Jr. came along. They lived with their in-laws in Scranton, Pa., then moved to a dingy working-class area in Wilmington, Del. At one point, the elder Biden cleaned boilers during the week and sold pennants and knickknacks at a farmer’s market on the weekends.

His son was raised with a fierce working-class pride — no one is better than anyone else. Once, when Joe Sr. was working for a car dealership, the owner threw a Christmas party for the staff. Just as the dancing was to begin, the owner scattered silver dollars on the floor and watched from above as the mechanics and salesmen scrambled about for them. Joe Sr. quit that job on the spot.

Even today, after serving for decades in the world’s most pompous workplace, Senator Biden retains an ostentatiously unpretentious manner. He campaigns with an army of Bidens who seem to emerge by the dozens from the old neighborhood in Scranton. He has disdain for privilege and for limousine liberals — the mark of an honest, working-class Democrat.

Democrats in general, and Obama in particular, have trouble connecting with working-class voters, especially Catholic ones. Biden would be the bridge.

Honesty. Biden’s most notorious feature is his mouth. But in his youth, he had a stutter. As a freshman in high school he was exempted from public speaking because of his disability, and was ridiculed by teachers and peers. His nickname was Dash, because of his inability to finish a sentence.

He developed an odd smile as a way to relax his facial muscles (it still shows up while he’s speaking today) and he’s spent his adulthood making up for any comments that may have gone unmade during his youth.

Today, Biden’s conversational style is tiresome to some, but it has one outstanding feature. He is direct. No matter who you are, he tells you exactly what he thinks, before he tells it to you a second, third and fourth time.

Presidents need someone who will be relentlessly direct. Obama, who attracts worshippers, not just staff members, needs that more than most.

Loyalty. Just after Biden was elected to the senate in 1972, his wife, Neilia, and daughter Naomi were killed in a car crash. His career has also been marked by lesser crises. His first presidential run ended in a plagiarism scandal. He nearly died of a brain aneurism.

New administrations are dominated by the young and the arrogant, and benefit from the presence of those who have been through the worst and who have a tinge of perspective. Moreover, there are moments when a president has to go into the cabinet room and announce a decision that nearly everyone else on his team disagrees with. In those moments, he needs a vice president who will provide absolute support. That sort of loyalty comes easiest to people who have been down themselves, and who had to rely on others in their own moments of need.

Experience. When Obama talks about postpartisanship, he talks about a grass-roots movement that will arise and sweep away the old ways of Washington. When John McCain talks about it, he describes a meeting of wise old heads who get together to craft compromises. Obama’s vision is more romantic, but McCain’s is more realistic.

When Biden was a young senator, he was mentored by Hubert Humphrey, Mike Mansfield and the like. He was schooled in senatorial procedure in the days when the Senate was less gridlocked. If Obama hopes to pass energy and health care legislation, he’s going to need someone with that kind of legislative knowledge who can bring the battered old senators together, as in days of yore.

There are other veep choices. Tim Kaine seems like a solid man, but selecting him would be disastrous. It would underline all the anxieties voters have about youth and inexperience. Evan Bayh has impeccably centrist credentials, but the country is not in the mood for dispassionate caution.

Biden’s the one. The only question is whether Obama was wise and self-aware enough to know that.

reilo

"The pentagon insists, that there is no timetable, only a goal for troop withdrawal by 2011..."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You have to be shitting me.

hokahey

I'm going to be shocked if Obama doesn't announce within the hour in time to make the evening news cycle. Perhaps right at 6PM ET as they're going on the air for maximum impact. Seems odd to wait until later in the evening or until Saturday when people aren't paying as much attention to the news.

someone made a funny comment on dailykos about how hilarious it would be if Gore and Lieberman were actually the VP's and had to debate each other, lol

RubxQub

What the fuck is CNN hoping to do with these house sittings?

Like the candidate is going to walk out of their house and wave to the cameras or some shit? :lol

RubxQub said:
What the fuck is CNN hoping to do with these house sittings?

Like the candidate is going to walk out of their house and wave to the cameras or some shit? :lol
Tee hee hee. I can stalk Joe Biden's house from my computer...

laserbeam

Banned
Now we just need Biden to moon CNN from his window and the day would be complete. The Pundits would jump all over his mooning trying to decipher some secret meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom