• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
speculawyer said:
It will probably say "Welcome Prius driving vegans."

Or: "Welcome and do not f@&! this up for America, again."

Stumpokapow said:
fuck vegas

www.intrade.com

likelihood of choices for democratic vp (will not add to 100%; the likelihoods are all independent of each other)
joe biden 57%
hillary clinton 15%
evan bayh 14%
chet edwards 13%
wes clark 13%
tim kaine 12%
kathleen sebelius 10%
brain schweitzer 8%
harry reid 8%

republican choices:
mitt romney 47%
tim pawlenty 25%
tom ridge 13%
meg whitman 10%
rob portman 9%
joe lieberman 9%
charlie crist 8%
eric cantor 8%
rudy giuliani 6%

Disagree with those odds? Put your money with your mouth is or don't bother replying.

Eh, I meant on the election in general. People are so testy in here.

I just flipped on the TV and turned to CNN to see Wolf saying: "And we're expecting an announcement any minute now. You knew Biden, who do you think will be the pick?"

To which the response is: "I have no idea."

:lol

Have they been running with "It's about to happen and we have no clue" all day or what?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
SnakeswithLasers said:
Eh, I meant on the election in general. People are so testy in here.
Vegas is not a good source. I used to suck dick for PoliGAF.
Rehab Patient said:
I seen him do it!
Now that's an addiction, man. You ever suck some dick for Vegas? No? I didn't think so...

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I just flipped on the TV and turned to CNN to see Wolf saying: "And we're expecting an announcement any minute now. You knew Biden, who do you think will be the pick?"

Have they been running with "It's about to happen and we have no clue" all day or what?
Yes they have.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Do you think they will wait until the nightly news has begun in most places so that they can come in and interrupt it with "breaking news about Obama's VP"?

Dax01 said:
Yes they have.
I know this is old, but cable news is a blight on our society. Every once in a while I have the re-realization how fucking inane all the major news outlets have become. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I almost never receive texts, but it seems that tonight everyone I know has just happened to decide to text me random shit.

FUCK, I can't take it anymore.

woeds

GrotesqueBeauty said:

That's the best thing.........they have no clue. They're just as much in the dark as we are :lol But while we can sit here and press F5, they have to be on-air and kill time :D

sangreal

:lol what is the point of the cameras they have set up outside of the short-list houses? They keep them on the screen as if something spectacular will happen when the announcement is made

sangreal said:
:lol what is the point of the cameras they have set up outside of the short-list houses? They keep them on the screen as if something spectacular will happen when the announcement is made
So I can stalk them without going to jail.

laserbeam

Banned
sangreal said:

Im telling ya. Biden is gonna moon the camera eventually in furtstration then CNN,MSNBC,FOXNEWS etc will spend hours trying to decipher its "hidden meaning"

GhaleonEB

sangreal said:
When it's announced, guy will burst from the house wearing a form-fitting veep suit with a cape, giant "VP" logo on the chest with an explosion of confetti and balloons falling from the sky.

Watching the CNN live feed right now, the host just said "we can pontificate all day" about the veep options. Can they ever. :lol

Calcaneus

sangreal said:
I'm counting on an appearance being made by ninjas.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
GhaleonEB said:
Billboard in Minnesota:

tdsbillboard1.jpg

:lol :lol

Thomper

GhaleonEB said:
Billboard in Minnesota:

tdsbillboard1.jpg

As usual, Daily Show will be shows from the Democratic and Republican Conventions the next two weeks. Colbert stays at home, but he'll have some interesting guests: next week will be Bob Barr on Tuesday, and Huckabee on Wednesday. Plus, they'll have Ron Paul the week after. Sounds good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Xisiqomelir said:
Whoa, I can bet on how stuff turns out? Totally starting an account once I pull some cash off Stars.

You can bet on ANYTHING with intrade. Got a hunch there'll be a 9.0 magnitude earthquake in the next few months? Someone disagrees, so bet on it! Expect scientists to detect the Higgs-Boson particle in the next 15 months? Money-making opportunity! Think Al Gore is going to be the next US president? Take the long odds!

Xisiqomelir

Arrggghh, I can't deposit!

FUCK UIGEA AND FUCK BILL FRIST!

I want to put $20 on our girl Kate :(

Stumpokapow said:
You can bet on ANYTHING with intrade. Got a hunch there'll be a 9.0 magnitude earthquake in the next few months? Someone disagrees, so bet on it! Expect scientists to detect the Higgs-Boson particle in the next 15 months? Money-making opportunity! Think Al Gore is going to be the next US president? Take the long odds!

God that's the sweetest thing ever. So much better than just dishing crow out to people.

GhaleonEB

The spokesman for the American Issues Project, the independent group whose ad is the most negative of the cycle and links Obama to terrorism, says the group just filed a report naming its sole donor.

The donor, spokesman Christian Pinkston said, is Dallas billionaire Harold Simmons, who made his first fortune in chain pharmacies and is now listed as the 73rd richest person in the world, with a net worth estimated by Forbes at $2.1 billion.

Simmons, a major Republican donor, gave maximum $2,300 contributions to Senator John McCain last year, as well as to former Governor Mitt Romney and to former Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

He's listed as a bundler for the McCain campaign on McCain's website, which says he's raised between $50,000 and $100,000 for the Republican candidate.

He's also contributed to Rep. Chet Edwards, the Texas Democrat who has been mentioned as a possible Obama running mate.

Simmons was reportedly a major donor to the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth in 2004.

He's also a backer of a controversial plan to store nuclear waste in West Texas, which his waste management company would administer.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensm...donor_is_antiObama_groups_backer.html?showall
thefro said:
http://www.kmbc.com/politics/17267009/detail.html#-

Obama/Bayh bumper stickers getting printed, supposedly.
Nooooooooooooooooooooo

RubxQub

GhaleonEB said:
Nooooooooooooooooooooo
Those things are fuck ugly and don't use the official branding. Not a single bumper sticker from the Obama camp has been without the "O" logo.

Lower thy defenses, this is a false idol.

Frank the Great said:
I almost never receive texts, but it seems that tonight everyone I know has just happened to decide to text me random shit.

FUCK, I can't take it anymore.
yep same here... a shitload of false alarms >:|

Tamanon

Banned
I don't buy it, bumper stickers are easy and quick to press, no reason to even bother making them until after the announcement.

RubxQub

As I said, no "O" logo, no official bumper sticker.

Look through his selection. That sticker doesn't match anything that's been done in the past in any way.

adg1034

Ami, the RNC is being held in St. Paul, not Minneapolis. tnw, Flynn, Lambtron, Mr. Jones, or any other of our awesome Twin Cities-GAF crew would agree that there is a major difference between the two.

We don't want to overly confuse the gaming side...

RubxQub

soul creator said:
from the article:

maybe a confirmation that we'll actually know tonight and not in the morning?
This is some random local news site. They don't know SHIT about FUCK!

adg1034

To be fair to this bumper sticker story, the first time we knew that Kerry had picked Edwards back in 2004 was when someone got footage of cardboard signs being printed/boxed/loaded (I can't remember which) right before the announcement was about to take place. In terms of plausibility, I do think this potential leak still stands.

RubxQub

adg1034 said:
To be fair to this bumper sticker story, the first time we knew that Kerry had picked Edwards back in 2004 was when someone got footage of cardboard signs being printed/boxed/loaded (I can't remember which) right before the announcement was about to take place. In terms of plausibility, I do think this potential leak still stands.
These stickers are not Obama's style. Trust me.

If Obama rolls out with those wack-ass stickers, I'm voting republican.

Edit: CNN digging up the video that I linked earlier...so behind CNN...so behind.

TDG

Banned
Hmph, I went afk for awhile, I come back to find no VP selection, but a beautiful new thread.

Geez, if we use this for the whole election it's going to end up over 100k posts. Yikes.

By the way, who told you guys the veep pick wouldn't be announced earlier today. ME.

Crisis

Banned
It's kind of harsh that they're making that sticker but there's almost no way it's legitimate. They would have that "O" logo somewhere on it. They can't not put it on Obama signs/products.

Tamanon

Banned
One thing though, what's the ultimate way to make sure your Veep pick doesn't slip out....I'd say by picking someone that the media isn't even talking about.

reilo

Tamanon said:
One thing though, what's the ultimate way to make sure your Veep pick doesn't slip out....I'd say by picking someone that the media isn't even talking about.

Quit baiting me!

thekad

Banned
Holy shit, the cables news networks have been talking about nothing for hours on end. :lol

They might as well have aired commercials all day.

P.S. If they were printing bumper stickers, they would do so for all of the "short list" candidates to throw off the scent, so to speak.

Tamanon said:
Yep. I'll say again that I wouldn't be surprised if Obama picked someone nobody was expecting.

reilo

thekad said:
Holy shit, the cables news networks have been talking about nothing for hours on end. :lol

They might as well have aired commercials all day.

"And in latest developments, Barack Obama still has us by the balls and we are still waiting on his Veep pick announcement."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom