• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
McCainVsObama.jpg

THE BATTLEGROUND

We've arrived. From here until November, it's a tough battle that has a lot of emotional investment from both sides. So with this fresh start, I want to give everybody some ground rules because we had a rough rides at time.

Rules

1. BE RESPECTFUL. I know that neoGAF, being a Internet Den where its users smoke hopium frequently, there is a largely disproportionate amount of Obama supporters than any other group. This does not mean you can be vindictive, condescending or insulting to people who are Republicans and support McCain. McCain supporters are not "inherently stupid", they're not "ignoring the facts." They've simply decided they appreciate his values more than your candidate. Act like an adult and utilize respect when dealing with the opposing factions at neoGAF. Yes, even to Libertarians.

2. No Sexism, Racism... and OTHER. Ok, I know you guys are going to point out that McCain is old, and it sure is historic that Obama is the first viable African American candidate for president. But, highlighting the previous point, let's be adults. If the only argument you have is "that BITCH" or "fuck him and his supporters", then please refrain.

3. No Baiting or Whining. This is another frequent tactic of those who don't actually want to face a group head on. If you're on the losing end of the debate, don't try to blame neoGAF for being too biased. If you feel you can participate in these threads, grow a pair and be prepared for people to actually deconstruct your points. They're not picking on you. If you jump in and jump out, in an attempt to derail legitimate discussion, you will be banned.

Other than that, have fun. Let's start this general election READY TO GO.

BUT LET'S NOT FORGET THE PATH BEHIND US...

THEWITCHISDEAD.jpg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Beautiful pictures to start the thread :lol

PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA returns to Virginia! Visits Bristol and Bristow today.

r2372294721.jpg

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) steps out of his car to board his plane in Blountville, Tennessee June 5, 2008 after a campaign stop in Bristol, Virginia. REUTERS/Jason Reed

capt.a16c4b33cd8a4778a291d85665dd794f.obama_2008_tnab106.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., puts on his suit jacket as he prepares to board his campaign charter plane in Mountville, Tenn. Thursday, June 5, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.9ead8cc8143b460694b9e4059326e07b.obama_2008_tnab105.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., jogs up the stairs as he boards his campaign plane in Mountville, Tenn., Thursday, June 5, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.234f8dc82ebd42e3883429baefa88ac2.obama_2008_xifab103.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., speaks to the media while in flight Thursday, June 5, 2008. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.c3d4ffd0033744519d96fe763272d8cf.obama_2008_virginia_vaab117.jpg

Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., left, stands with Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., during a campaign event at the Nissan Pavilion in Bristow, Va. Thursday, June 5, 2008. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.28c157f4efec48de99658e9cb84951a2.obama_2008_virginia_vapm111.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., speaks during a rally at Nissan Pavilion, Thursday, June 5, 2008 in Bristow, Va.
(AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

capt.c917884075fc4edbb01d0faaa63f753f.obama_2008_virginia_vapm112.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., waves as he steps away from the podium after speaking at a rally at Nissan Pavilion, Thursday, June 5, 2008 in Bristow, Va. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

capt.5a5346aa6bf9421d8d2b922dff0abec7.obama_2008_virginia_vapm105.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., is welcomed to a rally at Nissan Pavilion, Thursday, June 5, 2008 in Bristow, Va.

capt.9a7c8fe215994e0f861bf76c30e33256.obama_2008_virginia_vapm104.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., is welcomed to a rally at Nissan Pavilion, Thursday, June 5, 2008 in Bristow, Va.

capt.ca73d6c1f3154ed2b61cbd7ebfd25745.obama_2008_virginia_vadp105.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., campaigns at a town hall-style meeting at Virginia High School in Bristol, Va., Thursday, June 5, 2008.
(AP Photo/Don Peterson)

capt.37858fc2d0ec42d8968f74acde1cdc41.obama_2008_vaab102.jpg

Former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner, left, shakes hands with democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., at a town hall-style meeting at Virginia High School in Bristol, Va. Thursday, June 5, 2008. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

r2191873372.jpg

Presumptive US Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) holds up a baby as he takes part in a town hall-style meeting in Bristol, Virginia, June 5, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed

capt.4953335371cc4fbbb4480aa563827927.obama_2008_vaab122.jpg

Joi Phillips from Manassas, Va., cries as Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., speaks at the Nissan Pavilion in Bristow, Va. Thursday, June 5, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.acf5d982615e44cb964cda64eed78c03.obama_2008_virginia_vapm102.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., center, is joined on stage by Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, left, and Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., right, at a rally at Nissan Pavilion, Thursday, June 5, 2008 in Bristow, Va. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Oh come on, you can find a good picture of McCain to put at the top...

Man, he really does look like Col. Tigh :lol :lol

Tigh_Season_3.jpg

ronito

In the veepstakes I'll take Richardson or Sibelius for Obama (hoping for Richardson, but Sibelius is the more likely)

For Mccain I'm betting Huckabee. He's just dumb enough to do it.

Fireblend

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
capt.234f8dc82ebd42e3883429baefa88ac2.obama_2008_xifab103.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., speaks to the media while in flight Thursday, June 5, 2008. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Hollywood's gonna have a hard time finding an actor good enough to play president while this guy's on charge. :D

Amir0x

Banned
DrForester said:
Oh come on, you can find a good picture of McCain to put at the top...

Man, he really does look like Col. Tigh :lol :lol

I chose it for its black background and for its position to Obama's hand. I wanted a cheek pinch :D

Had no idea that Jim Webb was such an amazing counter to McCain's military experience.

Webb graduated from the Naval Academy in l968, receiving the Superintendent's Commendation for outstanding leadership contributions while a midshipman, and subsequently chose a commission in the Marine Corps.

Senator Jim Webb First in his class of 243 at the Marine Corps Officers' Basic School in Quantico, Virginia, Webb served with the Fifth Marine Regiment in Vietnam, where as a rifle platoon and company commander in the infamous An Hoa Basin west of Danang he was awarded the Navy Cross, the Silver Star Medal, two Bronze Star Medals, and two Purple Hearts. He later served as a platoon commander and as an instructor in tactics and weapons at Marine Corps Officer Candidates School, and then as a member of the Secretary of the Navy's immediate staff, before leaving the Marine Corps in 1972.

Sebellius also sounds like an amazing choice. Strong republican roots and has incredible amounts of experience and has an amazing bi-partisan record.

She fits Obama's message perfectly. I also hope he isn't afraid to pick her, because she looks like such a fantastic choice. She has 2 republican relatives one who was or is currently the Governor for Ohio? I might've forgotten.

Webb sounds like a fantastic choice to be in Obama's administration if you ask me and in some capacity, if not VP, Sebellius needs to be in it as well.

My mind is most definitely made up. Handicap McCain from the get go in his attacks. Put Sebellius on that ticket and it isn't even just because she's a woman. She sounds way too fantastic to pass up. No holding back or taking Hilary's position as #1 women into consideration here. Put Sebellius on that ticket.

I don't think I ever saw hate for Libertarians before looking at poligaf threads. I always thought people just ignored us (or pointed and laughed) with the rest of the independent parties.

prodystopian said:
I don't think I ever saw hate for Libertarians before looking at poligaf threads. I always thought people just ignored us (or pointed and laughed) with the rest of the independent parties.
Same. Although Colbert is hilarious when he jokes about them.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Man this thread is gonna be massive, probably even bigger that the smash brawl thread and i am only at page 68 of the last thread :(

I can't believe that Hillary supporters can't see the irony of blaming Obama for sexism and then having the nerve to threaten him not to pick another woman for his VP candidate.

Sebelius seems like one of the better choices, yet Hillary supporters don't want him to pick her simply because she is a woman.

Fucking hypocrites.

Cheebs

So I was watching Obama's first rally as the nominee and was struck that he still stuck more or less to that stump speech he has been using since Iowa basically. Is there any demand out there for him to write a new stump speech from scratch? I'd love to see it. Cause first time I saw that initial stump speech of his on tv back in Jan-Febish I was in awe...it is getting tired now.

I look at the white women in Obama's crowds and I really do think this lack of White Woman support is way too overblown.

He wont have too much trouble with them at all I think.

The message still resonates cheebs. You don't just change it for the sake of changing it. It's the message that has worked so incredibly for him and as he goes on he can add to that. I say he stay the course and make adjustments where necessary.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
OBAMALICIOUS!

So very happy this thread even exists.. so sexism and racism is out, but ageism is in right? Cuz I dont want grampa falling asleep while the phone rings at 3 AM.

Holy shit the McCain picture looks damn scary.

Anyway, I think I'll vote Obama if he picks Clinton or Edwards as running mate. Anyone else on the same boat?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Cheebs said:
So I was watching Obama's first rally as the nominee and was struck that he still stuck more or less to that stump speech he has been using since Iowa basically. Is there any demand out there for him to write a new stump speech from scratch? I'd love to see it. Cause first time I saw that initial stump speech of his on tv back in Jan-Febish I was in awe...it is getting tired now.

He changes it up, and will change it up with more emphasis on anti-McCain stuff, but it will remain largely the same.

Amir0x

Banned
StoOgE said:
OBAMALICIOUS!

So very happy this thread even exists.. so sexism and racism is out, but ageism is in right? Cuz I dont want grampa falling asleep while the phone rings at 3 AM.

to be fair, "ageism" is a far more nebulous thing to pin down because making fun of age doesn't really imply any sort of dislike of old people, just the general knowledge that we all grow old and die and some old people are crustier than others.

iapetus said:
So it was very respectful, and not baiting at all.

Precisely!

Amir0x

Banned
lopaz said:
Just a question... why did you delete the smiley from the quote? Random act of OCD, or something more sinister?

oh, iapetus post.

Yeah I don't quote smileys. Annoying to repeat smileys from someone else's post.

thekad

Banned
Ugh, Joan Walsh on CNN accusing Matthews of sexism again.

"He asked whether she can obey Obama OMG!"

When you cry sexism at every turn, it sort of Al Sharpton's your central argument.

lopaz

Banned
Amir0x said:
oh, iapetus post.

Yeah I don't quote smileys. Annoying to repeat smileys from someone else's post.

Okay :D

if you quoted this post, and removed the smiley, it'd be hilarious!

mj1108

polyh3dron said:
I can't believe that Hillary supporters can't see the irony of blaming Obama for sexism and then having the nerve to threaten him not to pick another woman for his VP candidate.

Sebelius seems like one of the better choices, yet Hillary supporters don't want him to pick her simply because she is a woman.

Fucking hypocrites.

Sexism = Hillaryism to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom