• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible PS5 leak info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tqaulity

More like 12GB GDDR6 + 4GB DDR4 or 16GB GDDR6 + 8GB DDR4.
Guys let me remind everyone with some food for thought regarding the RAM discussion. For nearly EVERY generation up til now, we have seen a 16x increase in the total system RAM from one generation to the next. Looking particularly at Sony consoles, let's review:

PS1 (1995) total RAM = 2MB
PS2 (2000) total RAM = 32MB
PS3 (2007) total RAM = 512MB
PS4 (2013 total RAM = 8GB

Again, EVERY generation saw a 16x increase in RAM. Now, with that said we know that the cost/RAM ratio has gone up quite a bit in recent years and thus total RAM is not growing nearly as fast as it used to (for the same price). So, we know that 8GB x 16 = 128GB is absolutely not feasible. Let's just get that out of the way.

However, with all of that said, people talking about 12GB and even 16GB have to realize how small of an increase that is from the prior console that came out 7 years before (assuming 2020 PS5 launch). Seriously 12GB? That is the same by the way of the Xbox One X which by that time will be 3 years old. Even 16GB total system RAM is only 2x from the base PS4. Surely, Sony will push for more RAM than that on a next generation console. And I also can tell you that developers will be pissed with only 16GB of total RAM next gen.

Cost is always a consideration but i can say that the target is definitely at least 24GB total minus ~4GB for the OS. That will leave ~20GB for game devs to use. This figure has a few benefits:
  • From a marketing standpoint, it is 2x the Xbox One X which means they can advertise it as having double the memory of any console out there
  • Currently, PS4 devs have only ~5GB of the 8GB of system RAM to use for games. This will actually give them a 4x boost in RAM which is probably as good as it can get for the time being.
  • This figure is a solid 3x over the original 8GB of the PS4 which again from a marketing standpoint is still a FAR CRY from the typical 16x but is at least a big enough jump to justify a "next generation" experience
Of course I can't say for sure that Sony will actually get the full 24GB in there given cost, time, and silicon considerations but it definitely was the target at some point. From Microsoft's standpoint, the next Xbox will have to have at least 2x the RAM over the Xbox One X again to market it as a bonafide next gen console. I'd bet for sure that at least one of either Microsoft's or Sony's next gen console (if not both) will have greater than 16GB total RAM. You can book it :messenger_winking:

Dontero

Banned
If it's a devkit it should be ok I think.

He doesn't sound like he talks about devkit but final version. He even talks about price like anyone from Sony would tell any dev that lol.

Also another non-starter. Discrete GPU.

Reason why SoC is a thing is because it drives down price of hardware A LOT as everything is on one chip instead of multiple chips. This also means reduced size.

Did you know that threadrippers use, and next gen Ryzen will use MCM design? So what's surprising about AMD working on such CPU+GPU solution?
Didn't the leak speak of a discrete GPU?

Playstation 5 hardware will be complete manufactured at 7 nm FinFet Process and not at 10,12 or 14 nm. It is not a classic APU/SOC design like what you have seen in previous consoles, it has a discrete GPU, a MCM with chiplets connected via interposer and I/O bridge. AMD has worked many years on this new architecture and Sony give some input for custom features for their new console.

That's kind of what I'm referring to, those bits of info don't make too much sense.

MadAnon

Didn't the leak speak of a discrete GPU?

Well, that basically means a discrete GPU - separated from CPU, unlike APU where both are on the same chip. Like this Kaby Lake-G...

600px_kaby_lake_g_with_amd_radeon_package_1.png

Last edited:

leo-j

give it BC with ps1/ps2/ps4 discs and up-scaling abilities for ps4 games, like the boost mode in PS4 PRO, and I will def get it for $499.

Also I def want it to be way more powerful than the current ps4 pro.

demigod

Damn, that looks real now. For the people complaining about how small the DS controllers are, this might be your answer. They made it fat. I hope I can use my DS4.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I don't know what to make of these, maybe new PS5 controller maybe?? Any Thoughts??

Didn't see that second shot from the leak yesterday. Makes is seem slightly more believable as some sort of prototype.

That being said I really don't see the point of having a screen on a controller. If anything it makes the experience less seamless as you have to avert your your eyes away from the primary screen.

I don't know what to make of these, maybe new PS5 controller maybe?? Any Thoughts??

I personally think this thing just screams fake, the D-pad in itself looks horrendous and it is waaaay too bulky...almost reminds be of the original Xbox controller when it first came out, I hated that controller with a passion! If this is somehow real, I hope that it is a severe prototype and nothing like the final design...they seriously could just take the DS4, add improved haptic, bigger battery and a touchscreen OLED and I would be happy!

Jaxx_377

I personally think this thing just screams fake, the D-pad in itself looks horrendous and it is waaaay too bulky...almost reminds be of the original Xbox controller when it first came out, I hated that controller with a passion! If this is somehow real, I hope that it is a severe prototype and nothing like the final design...they seriously could just take the DS4, add improved haptic, bigger battery and a touchscreen OLED and I would be happy!

If this is real or a dev prototype then maybe the bulk is due to a larger battery and improved haptic feedback. I think it would be really hard to have those improvements without some increase in size.

If its fake those guys are getting better at producing fakes.

It very well could be a prototype, I remember the DS4 looks pretty rough around the edges when it leaked, but this one just looked like a really bad 3rd party PS4 controller, the screen on the bottom pic almost looks photoshopped though. If it does end up having a screen on the controller, be prepared for super expensive controllers this next gen!

If this is real or a dev prototype then maybe the bulk is due to a larger battery and improved haptic feedback. I think it would be really hard to have those improvements without some increase in size.

I can agree with that, but one of the best haptic feedbacks that I have felt has been in the Nintendo Joy-Con controllers and those things are tiny!

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Litigate my emotions, daddy!

Remember the "fake" DS4 prototype couple years ago

look rough but pretty close and similar design with the current DS4 controller

Last edited:

sendit

Damn, that looks real now. For the people complaining about how small the DS controllers are, this might be your answer. They made it fat. I hope I can use my DS4.

What is your thought process on coming to conclusion (fake or not) for an image released with no dimensional specs?

Dabaus

Banned
Switching to team real with this one. Almost every rumor about ps5 has indicated a screen on the controller. Although I think this is a prototype and not the final design.

Lets assume that this is real, what are the actual applications?

- For games it could display maps, notifications, in game text or emails, check points etc.
-For OS features you could call up your friends list, PS Store, setting, etc without pausing the game.
-Remote Play your games with your controller possibly? Like the controller itself is mini PSP/Vita for games in a wifi connected area?

Last edited:

dolabla

If that's the real deal, it better have much longer battery life than that god awful PS4 battery. Seriously, I hope they do not cheap out on the battery again.

Shin

Banned
YO!!! What's on the screen? That looks kinda dope actually. Is it the XMB?
Messaging, attachment icon, smiley icon

it's fake.
That's a given because the dev-kit hasn't passed FCC yet so it can't be imported into the US.
The last dev-kit (PS4) was made by SKZ Kisarazu Japan, no surprising as R&D is done by Sony in Tokyo, it's only natural that they use a local company to manufacture them since they don't need to build millions.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
For what its worth Jason Schrier of kotaku is saying its fake over at NPCera. With that said he is full blown corporate shill so idk if hes just running interference or what. Im still on team real.

Remember the "fake" DS4 prototype couple years ago

look rough but pretty close and similar design with the current DS4 controller

I remember the leaked DS4 before the PS4 released, and this may very well be a prototype, I am just saying if it is I hope the final controller is much more refined than this thing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
For what its worth Jason Schrier of kotaku is saying its fake over at NPCera. With that said he is full blown corporate shill so idk if hes just running interference or what. Im still on team real.

Jason at least does real "actual" reporting. So we'll see.

Jason also just posted this:

Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall.

And, despite all the rumors about devkits being out (usually from rumormongers who are wrong more often than not), the number of people briefed on next-gen is still very limited. Even within companies like, say, DICE, there'll be a small team of engineers who now have a rough idea of specs, and everyone else will know when they need to know. Not a lot of devs are disclosed on next-gen right now.

In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)

Shin

Banned
both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week.
Was just about to post it, Sony is predictable like that IMO, it will be a Febuary-March reveal with November 2020 launch IMO.
Also thank fucking god it will be higher than 10.7 or at least aiming for it, I really hope for 12.
It will be a repeat of 2013, dev-kit leaks will come around Q1 of 2020 so until then I don't expect anything solid.

Last edited:
Probably the last console gen. They are going big guys. Believe.

I don't think this is in any way the last console gen, but I think going forward post-PS5 it is going to be a whole different beast than what we are used to today...

Was just about to post it, Sony is predictable like that IMO, it will be a Febuary-March reveal with November 2020 launch IMO.
Also thank fucking god it will be higher than 10.7, I really hope for 12.
It will be a repeat of 2013, dev-kit leaks will come around Q1 of 2020 so until then I don't expect anything solid.

I don't think they will wait until Nov 2020, my money is on Sept 9, 2020 which would put it right at the 25 year mark for the PS1 in the US market. I am really hoping it will have 12-14TF, I know the 14TF is pushing it, but hopefully it is not below 12TF...

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)

How is this a "thing to know for sure"? What is it based on?

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
How is this a "thing to know for sure"? What is it based on?
I'm inclined to believe the rat as he gets scoops before others, his information network of contacts runs deeper.
The chosen few that have a basic idea of what to expect informed him - that's my take on it at least and it's a bone that makes me happy.

Geki-D

Banned

I'm no expert but running this through FotoForensics looks, to me, like there's way more compression on the screen than the rest of the image, implying it's a shoop:
analysis.png

Ar¢tos

I don't think this is in any way the last console gen, but I think going forward post-PS5 it is going to be a whole different beast than what we are used to today...

I don't think they will wait until Nov 2020, my money is on Sept 9, 2020 which would put it right at the 25 year mark for the PS1 in the US market. I am really hoping it will have 12-14TF, I know the 14TF is pushing it, but hopefully it is not below 12TF...
With the increase in Diminishing returns, there won't be much difference from 12 to 14TFs anyway.

With the increase in Diminishing returns, there won't be much difference from 12 to 14TFs anyway.

Yes and no, if games start using ray tracing in this next gen then every bit of extra TF performance is going to count, especially since they will hopefully be pushing native 4K on every game as well!

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I think that's a fake, but a screen on the controller might be interesting for handling things like messages and party invites. Maybe even for things like having the trophy list and things like that as well. I guess the kinds of things we currently have to pull away from the game to see might find a good home right in the front of the controller.

That said, I still don't think I want it because I don't want $99 controllers to be a thing.

mckmas8808

I'm no expert but running this through FotoForensics looks, to me, like there's way more compression on the screen than the rest of the image, implying it's a shoop:
analysis.png

There's no way this "forensics" a thing is it? Can people really run a picture through something to get this result? I have no clue. :(

Kagero

It 100% isn't the last "console" generation though. Companies are still selling CDs and DVDs for god's sake.
In the next 5 years they will nail streaming. You won’t need a console to play games. Also, DVD and CD players are cheap as heck to produce. Consoles, not so much.

mckmas8808

In the next 5 years they will nail streaming. You won’t need a console to play games. Also, DVD and CD players are cheap as heck to produce. Consoles, not so much.

But the gaming audience isn't demanding "streaming" only consoles that much. We like it as an option, but how many of us actually want it as the only means to play games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom