• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible PS5 leak info

Status
Not open for further replies.

giphy.gif

When was this event announced?!

Last edited:
I knew the event was going on, but didn't think they would announce any PS5 related stuff at it, hopefully they will give some nugget of info though...

Wait, wasn't the PS4 reveal event publicly announced back in Feb 2013?

Why is everything about PS5 so secretive?

I will be floored if they reveal anything at this point, I am really expecting them to wait until TGS to announce anything, I am sure Microsoft will announce something at E3 and I feel like Sony is being very secretive on what they have coming out, I bet they want to see what everyone else is doing first, especially since the Google Stadia is now in the fold as well for this next gen.

Shin

Banned
Says it on the bracelet, PR Event, plus it's private.
So probably something for the press and maybe retail channels for the upcoming / new FY year due to new management and all that.
I really don't think we should hold our breath for solid PS5 news until next year, if PSX happens this year that'll prolly be the highlight for PS 2019.

wvnative

My friend sent me this image last night, says it was posted on reddit. But neither him nor myself can find the post anymore. I haven't seen it brought up on Gaf, or the other place. Can't find any evidence it was posted. But I want everyone's thoughts.

tm2jryrrjyo21.png

This looks like the same controller that's been floating around but the section around the playstation button looks different to me. As for the dev kit, I typically see people just photoshop other dev kits. But I don't recognize this one.

What say you, Gaf?

Airbus Jr

Litigate my emotions, daddy!
My friend sent me this image last night, says it was posted on reddit. But neither him nor myself can find the post anymore. I haven't seen it brought up on Gaf, or the other place. Can't find any evidence it was posted. But I want everyone's thoughts.

tm2jryrrjyo21.png

This looks like the same controller that's been floating around but the section around the playstation button looks different to me. As for the dev kit, I typically see people just photoshop other dev kits. But I don't recognize this one.

What say you, Gaf?

Look very similar to DS4 prototype from couple years ago. If this is true than PS5 controller wont be much different to PS4

But i really want them to improve the trigger and battery durabilty

Thats the negative part of DS4 that need to be improved

sysYJxL.jpg

Last edited:

tm2jryrrjyo21.png

What say you, Gaf?

Why do all these leaked photos have a certain graininess to them?! My spidey sense tells he it isn't legit, but who knows! If it is a prototype controller, I think it is just an improved touchscreen and not a LCD/OLED screen, but on the (what appears to be) dev kit it looks like that does have a LCD/OLED screen, so that is interesting...

Last edited:

wvnative

Why do all these leaked photos have a certain graininess to them?! My spidey sense tells he it isn't legit, but who knows!

The only reason I am even entertaining this is because we have now had 3 different photos of the controller, all at different angles, one with the screen on, and now a supposed dev kit that I don't recognize, with a 4th angle of the controller and red lights at the top. Might still be someone with too much time on their hands to troll us all. But I find this all to be... interesting anyway.

Maybe its all a 3D print out.

llien

Sony not revealing any concrete dates yet might have the same reason as why there is nothing known about Navi release date.
Manufacturing issues.

The only reason I am even entertaining this is because we have now had 3 different photos of the controller, all at different angles, one with the screen on, and now a supposed dev kit that I don't recognize, with a 4th angle of the controller and red lights at the top. Might still be someone with too much time on their hands to troll us all. But I find this all to be... interesting anyway.

Maybe its all a 3D print out.

It's almost looks CGI'ish and they are using the grain to cover that fact, just looking at the USB ports they look really fake to me. Aren't early dev kits usually pretty rough around the edges and not so refined?!

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job

tm2jryrrjyo21.png

What say you, Gaf?

hmmmm same controller again. Either someone is doing some pretty good fakes or there is something too this.

demigod

I think the announcement and release window will be shorter this time around so that MS won't be prepared to launch in the same month as PS5. Xbox One felt rush to me.

I just think if they do end up waiting until Sept 2020 to release the console, it better have 14TF+ performance, 32GB GDDR6 and 1TB NVMe for making me wait that long! :messenger_beaming:

The new consoles most likely release in holiday 2020, so it’s unlikely that there will even be any real silicon until the end of this year IMO. Any ‘dev kits’ that exist now if at all are probably just custom PC’s with roughly the correct specs, plus dev tools and stuff.

MS didn’t get real test silicon for the Scorpio until just before Christmas, ~11 months prior to release. So 6 months to go yet I reckon.

Last edited:
The only thing* I want them to do with the Dual Shock 5 is increase the battery life. Otherwise, leave it the f ck alone.

(* - okay, I'd say get rid of the touch pad and light, because I believe them to be useless, but that'd break BC, so keep them)

Dabaus

Banned

tm2jryrrjyo21.png

What say you, Gaf?

Hard to say. There are so many fake leaks anymore that It could be anything. IF dev kits have been out in the wild for awhile now like weve been hearing then eventually someone somewhere HAS to leak something. IF these were real, then why would someone just show a picture but not give us an info dump on tech and specs on some anonamous website? IDk, until we get specs along with it im in the skeptical camp. I also don't believe a damn word Jason Schrier is saying about not knowing much.

SonGoku

tm2jryrrjyo21.png

What say you, Gaf?
So tiny dev kit makes me doubt
Looks legit otherwise

sendit

That was another reason I am doubting this, it is waaaay too small, dev kits tend to be quite large and this thing is not much wider than the controller...so to me it just says fake...

Looks real to me, not saying that it is (but the possibility is there). The dev kit could be longer than it is wide.

Looks real to me, not saying that it is (but the possibility is there). The dev kit could be longer than it is wide.

True, and I may be totally wrong with my thoughts, if it am wrong then that is a really sleek looking dev kit! Still don't like the controller though (worst design since the PS3 boomerang prototype), I really hope they stick with the DS4 design and just tweak it and add features and a better battery!

LordOfChaos

Won't have the GPU separate from the CPU prevent a unified memory system? Or is there a solution for that?

The 360 had dedicated GPU/CPU chips but unified memory, the memory was channeled through the GPU memory controller and secondarily fed to the CPU. Just apart from the more modern solution of an MCM (multi chip module) like Kaby Lake G. You can actually see the arrangement, memory traces feeding the GPU on the left, which fed the CPU on the right
rBVaHFVPi_iARb_QAAITzVm0BKw407.jpg

The Wii U had unified memory and dedicated chips on an MCM.

font201711010406421107.jpg

So there's really no limitation that says that dedicated chips can't share the same unified memory pool, APUs were chosen with the 8th gen being built to a cost. Dedicated parts would have the benefit of being able to disperse more heat, instead of thermal hotspotting being the limit to either part being right beside each other.

With all else the same in terms of how much silicon and cost is spent, there's no replacement for displacement, so I hope cooling is a big consideration this gen, and dedicated chips help there.

Last edited:

Pallas

So tiny dev kit makes me doubt
Looks legit otherwise

It actually might not be tiny as shown in the picture, looks like a lot of it was cropped or didn’t make it in the picture. Also what’s that at the top? In the center, looks like something might go there.

Kagero

tm2jryrrjyo21.png

What say you, Gaf?
It’s a real photo. Mobile phones suck in low light situations like office spaces. Wether or not it’s a real ps5 controller is a different story. Someone could have spent a lot of time making a fake 3D printed controller, but it’s not a photoshop that’s for sure. If the photo wasn’t grainy I would question it more because it’s actually easier to photoshop a very clean high res image.

Fake

I dunno what people are talking about the size. Its really huge dev kit, not more huge than current gen dev kit.

I believe that's the real deal.

Edit: I just remember I posted some time ago that I read (on reddit btw) someone saying the next updated devkits (which would be in 7nm) would be released around March... what a coincidence

Edit: here's the post

Yes, it said devkits had 32GB of RAM and for the final console they were planning 8GB for the system and 16 to 24GB for games. CPU would be a Ryzen 8 core 16 thread at 2,8Ghz and 2 cores would be reserved to the system. 7nm devkits would only ship by march.

Didn't someone leak a few days ago that the devkits had 32GB also? :messenger_hushed:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom