• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible PS5 leak info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagero

I don't think this is in any way the last console gen, but I think going forward post-PS5 it is going to be a whole different beast than what we are used to today...

I don't think they will wait until Nov 2020, my money is on Sept 9, 2020 which would put it right at the 25 year mark for the PS1 in the US market. I am really hoping it will have 12-14TF, I know the 14TF is pushing it, but hopefully it is not below 12TF...
I believe the PS6 or whatever form PlayStation takes will be a service/app.

MadAnon

Jason also just posted this:

Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall.

And, despite all the rumors about devkits being out (usually from rumormongers who are wrong more often than not), the number of people briefed on next-gen is still very limited. Even within companies like, say, DICE, there'll be a small team of engineers who now have a rough idea of specs, and everyone else will know when they need to know. Not a lot of devs are disclosed on next-gen right now.

In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)

The fact that Sony will not be at E3 is enough evidence that there'll be no PS5 in 2019.

Kagero

But the gaming audience isn't demanding "streaming" only consoles that much. We like it as an option, but how many of us actually want it as the only means to play games?
I agree, but this is out of Sony’s hand. They have to evolve. They even said themselves that mainstream streaming will take about five years, which is perfect timing for the PS6. Its already begun with google and Apple. MS is leaning hard towards streaming as well. As of right now gamers are against it because it sucks. In five years it’s going to be phenomenal.

Journey

Banned
That's so bad even for a fake...
Render of a PS2+PS4 = PS5...facepalm.

Maybe that's intentional. For their 25th anniversary and 5th PlayStation, they are merging features from all 5 into 1? The triangular symbol from 1, the Blue light from 2, the piano finish from 3 and the slant design from 4 = PS5?

Geki-D

Banned
There's no way this "forensics" a thing is it? Can people really run a picture through something to get this result? I have no clue. :(
it is. It checks for compression. Obviously you take a pic of something, the compression all over is going to be the same. You photoshop something, adding in multiple images and some might have been more compressed than others.

Notice here how all outlines look the same and the same colors appear throughout:
maxresdefault.jpg

analysis.png

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I agree, but this is out of Sony’s hand. They have to evolve. They even said themselves that mainstream streaming will take about five years, which is perfect timing for the PS6. Its already begun with google and Apple. MS is leaning hard towards streaming as well. As of right now gamers are against it because it sucks. In five years it’s going to be phenomenal.

It's completely in Sony's hands. In the same way, it's in Nintendo's hands to not compete power wise with MS and Sony. The tail doesn't get to wag the dog. And in this example, Sony is the dog and video game streaming is the tail.

demigod

Jason also just posted this:

Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall.

And, despite all the rumors about devkits being out (usually from rumormongers who are wrong more often than not), the number of people briefed on next-gen is still very limited. Even within companies like, say, DICE, there'll be a small team of engineers who now have a rough idea of specs, and everyone else will know when they need to know. Not a lot of devs are disclosed on next-gen right now.

In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)

Since when has Jason been right about any next gen? The only thing I've seen him being right about is days before something is announced. Also Zhuge said dev kits were out in dec/jan already and nobody disputed that. Also it's already been speculated that it'll be over 10Tflops, he doesn't even know the exact specs.

Ar¢tos

In the next 5 years they will nail streaming. You won’t need a console to play games. Also, DVD and CD players are cheap as heck to produce. Consoles, not so much.

Not even in 10 years fast Internet will have worldwide coverage to remove the need of local processing.
Let's not forget the latency too. How do you sell game streaming to fighting competitions like EVO in your imaginary console free next gen future? (post ps5)

Kagero

Not even in 10 years fast Internet will have worldwide coverage to remove the need of local processing.
Let's not forget the latency too. How do you sell game streaming to fighting competitions like EVO in your imaginary console free next gen future? (post ps5)
Book mark this convo and let’s come back in two years

Kagero

It's completely in Sony's hands. In the same way, it's in Nintendo's hands to not compete power wise with MS and Sony. The tail doesn't get to wag the dog. And in this example, Sony is the dog and video game streaming is the tail.
I want consoles to live forever but it ain’t happening man. Tech moves wayyyy too fast, and it’s only getting faster. This isn’t even my own thought. Sony themselves mentioned this may be their last gen, and it makes more sense to me then it doesn’t.

sendit

What bullshit? What are you calling out? lol. It's an opinion, stop crying.

The opinion card when your original post stated otherwise. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"Damn, that looks real now. For the people complaining about how small the DS controllers are, this might be your answer. They made it fat. I hope I can use my DS4. "

Come on now.....

Last edited:

demigod

The opinion card when your original post stated otherwise. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"Damn, that looks real now. For the people complaining about how small the DS controllers are, this might be your answer. They made it fat. I hope I can use my DS4. "

Come on now.....

That's an opinion, I didn't say it was a FACT. It's my opinion that they made it bigger. You are ignorant.

One thing that would be interesting is if for the PS6 it ends up being a $1000 (just throwing a high number out there) powerhouse console, incredibly fast, etc. and then for the casual gamer that doesn't want to drop that amount of money on a gaming system they could instead just signup for Playstation Now and play the same PS6 games over streaming (albiet with more latency, etc.), I could definitely see something like this happen in the future.

MadAnon

Uh, but doesn't PS4 use separate (although tightly integrated) GPU chip as well?

Here's a picture of Ryzen 5 2400G APU without its lid. PS4 also has an APU

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS81LzMvNzUwNTY3L29yaWdpbmFsL1RlYXNlci5qcGc=

As you can see the CPU and GPU are not separate chips but are one silicon chunk on the same interposer. Compare to that Kaby Lake-G picture I posted where you can see that CPU and GPU are separate chips but still on the same interposer.

Here's a real life picture for better illustration

5a1a21b1-a212-4af9-8f52-603cd57b6fac.jpg

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Here's a picture of Ryzen 5 2400G APU without its lid. PS4 also has an APU

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS81LzMvNzUwNTY3L29yaWdpbmFsL1RlYXNlci5qcGc=

As you can see the CPU and GPU are not separate chips but are one silicon chunk on the same interposer. Compare to that Kaby Lake-G picture I posted where you can see that CPU and GPU are separate chips but still on the same interposer.

Here's a real life picture for better illustration

5a1a21b1-a212-4af9-8f52-603cd57b6fac.jpg

Thanks for the picture comparisons. Why would the GPU being separate be better for the PS5?

MadAnon

Thanks for the picture comparisons. Why would the GPU being separate be better for the PS5?
My guess would be because of 7 nm process costs and yields. Bigger chips have lower yields so producing smaller chips and putting them on one interposer are more cost efficient. Ryzen threadripper CPUs are already designed like this. Instead of having one huge 32 core silicon chip, you have 4 separate 8 core chiplets on one interposer connected and working as one.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

My guess would be because of 7 nm process costs and yields. Bigger chips have lower yields so producing smaller chips and putting them on one interposer are more cost efficient. Ryzen threadripper CPUs are designed like this already. Instead of having one huge 32 core silicon chip, you have 4 separate 8 core chiplets on one interposer connected and working as one.
Won't have the GPU separate from the CPU prevent a unified memory system? Or is there a solution for that?

SonGoku

More like 12GB GDDR6 + 4GB DDR4 or 16GB GDDR6 + 8GB DDR4.
I don't think well see a split pool for games, at most it will be a separate pool for background os tasks
32 GDDR6 ain't that crazy, is the 512bit bus needed to drive that memory that's costly

Anyone know whats the top bandwith you can get from 32gb of gddr6 on a 256bit bus?

Xyphie

Given that Zen 2 is a MCM design makes a 2-die design very likely. All you need is a die with a GPU, memory controllers and a Infinity Fabric link to connect it to a off-the-shelf Zen 2 die.

Anyone know whats the top bandwith you can get from 32gb of gddr6 on a 256bit bus?

Depends on GDDR6 clock speeds, between 14-16Gb/s seems likely, doubt a console would have faster bins.

256/8 * 14-16 = 448-512GB/s

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I hope this isn't real because bye-bye battery life if true.

I think that a good OLED display at that size, resolution, and brightness (I doubt the refresh rate will be 60Hz either, but I may be wrong) should still allow the controller to have decent battery life. It looks bulky enough to store a decent battery, but not too bulky to be unwieldy.

I do not see the battery in mAh to be wildly different than what Switch has (of course it is not going to be the same :)) and Switch needs to do a whole lot more local processing of data and has a much brighter and power hungry LCD display to power... and still manages almost 3 hours playing Zelda: BotW...

SonGoku

I hope this isn't real because bye-bye battery life if true.
If Sony wasn't so cheap and put a actually good battery in there a tiny oled wouldn't be a problem
What worries me is them going the cheap route with battery again, screen or not.

At least make it user replaceable so users can upgrade.

Last edited:
You all think 16GB GDDR6 dedicated for games only is not enough?
Does even 4k ray traced PC games use this much VRAM?
I think the max games use today is around 10-11GB. Today, 2019. Let's see in 4 years. Also that isn't JUST for graphics. It's the total RAM for games. The rest of the RAM (supposing it'll have a separate DDR4 pool) is for OS features.

thelastword

Banned
I think PS5 will easily have 32GB of memory or more when all is said and done....Any PS5 specs right now is preliminary, the memory and even storage situation is going to be much better in two years.....People should remember that PS4 got a boost of double the memory config pretty late into the development cycle....

SonGoku

You all think 16GB GDDR6 dedicated for games only is not enough?
Does even 4k ray traced PC games use this much VRAM?
Dont use console games ported to PC as a indicator of how much next gen is gonna use
If next gen consoles ship with 16gb devs will make do with it, but that doesn't make it a big leap, its barely an upgrade over the X (not even 2x)

Last edited:

Meh3D

Since when has Jason been right about any next gen? The only thing I've seen him being right about is days before something is announced. Also Zhuge said dev kits were out in dec/jan already and nobody disputed that. Also it's already been speculated that it'll be over 10Tflops, he doesn't even know the exact specs.

Who is Zhuge and why would this person know any of this info?

Last edited:
Great. Still not clear on the why this person's word would be treated as a fact check for some other rumor; he is subject to rumors just like the rest of us ordinary folk. :D
He's a well known industry insider, works as an analyst and used to post here on neogaf before the apocalypse happened.

Shin

Banned
Great. Still not clear on the why this person's word would be treated as a fact check for some other rumor; he is subject to rumors just like the rest of us ordinary folk. :D
It shouldn't, he got banned here because of whatever reason and GAF's moderating them back then were the best I've encountered since 2000+.
On top of that his information is in conflict with his current "home" is calling him out for feeding them inaccurate information (basically he fed them bullshit).
He's far removed from being relevant and is located in China these days, nothing he says should be taken at face value anymore as he isn't in the position to know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom