• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible PS5 leak info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why they would need to reserve 2 Zen cores for the OS.

PS4 only reserves 1.5 Jaguar core. Zen is supposed to be a lot faster (especially with SMT)!

Fake

PS4 only reserves 1.5 Jaguar core. Zen is supposed to be a lot faster (especially with SMT)!
For a more smoth OS transition? Because I get some freeze when transition between store and home screen.
Maybe you can play games, download, install and update in the same time without interruption. Who knows...

Who knows what PS5 and Scarlett will bring, but if all these leaks about 12TF machines with tons of ram and good cpus is true, this is what a console leap should have been..... just like all video game gens except..... 2013.

Fake

I can't expect much from third party... They always give the same excuses...
In the other hand I can't wait for see the exclusive games.

Armorian

Banned
Who knows what PS5 and Scarlett will bring, but if all these leaks about 12TF machines with tons of ram and good cpus is true, this is what a console leap should have been..... just like all video game gens except..... 2013.

LG to CG:

GPU - upgrade from PS3 to PS4 was massive: 165GLOP's (RSX was weaker than that, that's 7800GTX number) to 1800GFLOP's (~x11)
RAM - 512MB to 8GB (x16)
CPU - yeah, I don't know. Cell is stronger than jaguar in some aspects

CG to NG:

GPU - 1.8TF to ~12TF (x6.7, or x2.8 from Pro)
RAM - 8GB to 16-24 (at most) so x2/x3
CPU - at least twice as powerful

Jump in power will be the smallest ever.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
LG to CG:

GPU - upgrade from PS3 to PS4 was massive: 165GLOP's (RSX was weaker than that, that's 7800GTX number) to 1800GFLOP's (~x11)
RAM - 512MB to 8GB (x16)

CG to NG:

Its baby steps here on out, both on the processor side and budgets side of game development, generally speaking. I would not be surprised if this gen is super long i.e. 10-12 years with maybe 2 sub-releases. (we're getting to the splitting hairs of split hairs at this point)

Last edited:
LG to CG:

RAM - 512MB to 8GB (x16)

CG to NG:

Difference is jumping to Xbox One/PS4 seemed to have most of the power put into resolution and slightly better textures. Most games (action/RPG/open world) were still 30 fps.

And a good chunk of the ram boost went to OS.

Going from current gen to 12TF machines with more ram/cpu power should free up more resources into other things. Xbox X is only 6tf and it can do 4k some of the times. A 12TF machine should be able to do a lot more than just making every game 4k. There should be enough power to do other improvements...... then again console devs might get lazy again, max out power to dumb shit and we'll get tons of 30 fps games again.

Armorian

Banned
Difference is jumping to Xbox One/PS4 seemed to have most of the power put into resolution and slightly better textures. Most games (action/RPG/open world) were still 30 fps.

Going from current gen to 12TF machines with more ram/cpu power should free up more resources into other things. Xbox X is only 6tf and it can do 4k some of the times. A 12TF machine should be able to do a lot more than just making every game 4k. There should be enough power to do other improvements...... then again console devs might get lazy again, max out power to dumb shit and we'll get tons of 30 fps games again.

CPU upgrade should allow every game to be 60fps with slighty better physics/AI (compared to current gen), I can understand 30fps in games really heavy on CPU side but devs should at least give 1080/60 - 4K/30 options in titles that aren't (and are more on GPU side of things), with VRR even games with unlocked FR could look good (give us options developers!). Sadly I predict 90% of titles will be 30fps with no performance options :(

Rumors suggest that CPU and RAM allocations for OS will only grow compred to PS4...

Fake

LG to CG:

RAM - 512MB to 8GB (x16)

CG to NG:

Not too smaller. You need to compare to base ps4, not the pro. Will be a nice boost in comparison with the base console.
But at what clocks? Console CPU's probably won't reach 3GHz.
Maybe. AMD APU usally have cpu boost for that reason. Its not a 'fixed' 3GHz mind you, but will depend of demand. I mean, what the clock of IBM cpu from Xbox 360?

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Not to smaller. You need to compare to base ps4, not the pro. Will be a nice boost in comparison with the base console.

It's smaller than PS3-PS4 jump wich was smaller than PS2-PS3 etc. Technology is not advancing as fast as it used to :)

Not to smaller. You need to compare to base ps4, not the pro. Will be a nice boost in comparison with the base console.

Maybe. AMD APU usally have cpu boost for that reason. Its not a 'fixed' 3GHz mind you, but will depend of demand. I mean, what the clock of IBM cpu from Xbox 360?

3.2GHz, but it was separated from GPU and first console models melted :p

Last edited:

Fake

It's smaller than PS3-PS4 jump wich was smaller than PS2-PS3 etc. Technology is not advancing as fast as it used to :)
Of course will be man :messenger_downcast_sweat:... Remember the time PS3 was released? Thing just a little. 2006...Moore's law...

3.2GHz, but it was separated from GPU and first console models melted :p
Still, "But at what clocks? Console CPU's probably won't reach 3GHz."
If you skipped some of the thread conversation (last page even), people are asking what the benefits of putting cpu separated from gpu.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
probably higher than 1.6Ghz also hyper threading comes to play. hard to say. definitely more than 2x. thats for sure.

Of course, I just didn't saw any comparison between 1.6Ghz Jag and ~3GHz Ryzen. With 2x more threads (if HT is enabled on consoles), higher clocks and MUCH better architecture I expect x3/x4 in game performance, maybe more.

Still, "But at what clocks? Console CPU's probably won't reach 3GHz."
If you skipped some of the thread conversation (last page even), people are asking what the benefits of putting cpu separated from gpu.

Yeah, I didn't read much of this thread, I was more active in some earlier ones and we still don't have any credible leaks so I assumed that discussions is going in circles as always ;)

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned

We are still basing our discussions on same known apects of NG consoles for months now - Navi, Ryzen and GDDR6 are pretty much confirmed to be in X4 and PS5. Clocks, memory amounts, OS requirements, number of TF on GPUs, DXR support and storage types are left to our imagination (some things may even not be finalized at this point).

scalman

i like that dev kit image if it real and controller looks cool to me if that true
tm2jryrrjyo21.png

then again same controller pic with screen on
D2rEuUjW0AEwlSs.jpg:large

those share and options buttons made good change for better reach in this form as now it can be hard to press that small options buttons for me sometimes with bigger fingers.

Last edited:

Fake

We are still basing our discussions on same known apects of NG consoles for months now - Navi, Ryzen and GDDR6 are pretty much confirmed to be in X4 and PS5. Clocks, memory amounts, OS requirements, number of TF on GPUs, DXR support and storage types are left to our imagination (some things may even not be finalized at this point).
Navi will be for PS5 if the leaks/rumors are true. Xbox Next... not so sure. Maybe a custom current gpu. GDDR6 vs HBM? GDDR6 is a nice beat, but from AMD? They really want to promove HBM2 tech and if AMD is really THAT close with Sony in the PS5 development, who knows if Sony want the better...
The real boost will be Ryzen vs Jaguar no doub. Ryzen2 is my guess.

scalman

why not custom Ryzen and not same as pc gets? . i wish they would made it at least some kind of special and not same as pc parts.

Fake

why not custom Ryzen and not same as pc gets? . i wish they would made it at least some kind of special and not same as pc parts.
The PC counterpart are very very energy hungry for Sony needs. Neither the notebook version. Instead, a Semi-custom low power Ryzen (Ryzen+ or Ryzen 2) for sleep mode for match with the OS.
They're in fact 'special' because you can't found the exactly the same parts for pc, just 'close' versions of cpu/gpu or apu.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
So, judging by the picture, is it fake or not?
It's not a photoshop, that's for sure. Though I don't think anyone actually assumed it was. Doesn't mean it's not fake and the image of the pad with the screen on does show signs of photoshop. Seeing as they're clearly from the same source, there's a good chance this is all fake.

rəddəM

i like that dev kit image if it real and controller looks cool to me if that true
tm2jryrrjyo21.png

those share and options buttons made good change for better reach in this form as now it can be hard to press that small options buttons for me sometimes with bigger fingers.
A low power OLED display slightly inclined towards the player would be so cool.

Ar¢tos

You have doubts?
It's obvious they will do 30fps whenever they can. Just crank up shadow res and lock at 30, much cheaper and faster than optimising every scene and aspect of a game to locked 60.

It's obvious they will do 30fps whenever they can. Just crank up shadow res and lock at 30, much cheaper and faster than optimising every scene and aspect of a game to locked 60.

Yep. Or:

Coders: We've got the game running at a locked 60fps!
Management: Oh, so you've got processing time to spare?
Coders: Yes, but ...
Management: Add more bling!
Coders: But ... why?
Management: Don't ask questions, just do it!
(a little while later)
Coders: The extra bling you demanded is in there.
Management: What's with the frame rate counter? It's going between 50fps and 60fps.
Coders: All the extra bling is bringing down the frame rate. Maybe we could just take out the bling? Gamers don't really care for it.
Management: No, it looks pretty in screenshots and videos. Cap the game at 30fps.
Coders: But ...
Management: If you question us one more time, you're fired.

Gamers: WTF is with all these 30fps locks on a 12TF machine?!!

TeamGhobad

Banned
How so?

Zen has 50% higher IPC.

Assuming that it runs at double the frequency (3.2 GHz), then the difference is 3x.

Not too shabby, but nowhere near 6.5x (don't know where you got that number from).

bulldozer is 4x faster than jaguar, zen1 is 40% faster than bulldozer. zen2 is 15% faster than zen1.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
You have doubts?

I hope for unlocked options in games that can runs above 40fps (with 30 lock as default), VRR Tv's will be much more common in 2020+ (monitors are for few years now).

Navi will be for PS5 if the leaks/rumors are true. Xbox Next... not so sure. Maybe a custom current gpu. GDDR6 vs HBM? GDDR6 is a nice beat, but from AMD? They really want to promove HBM2 tech and if AMD is really THAT close with Sony in the PS5 development, who knows if Sony want the better...
The real boost will be Ryzen vs Jaguar no doub. Ryzen2 is my guess.

HBM is expensive AF, no way it's gonna be in NG consoles and Navi is focused on using GDDR6. What they can realisticaly do to lower power consumption compared to 7nm PC parts? Only solution is to lower clocks and I don't think sonsole chips will be specialized in any way (maybe MS will add some DX12 stuff like the one in X1X).

bulldozer is 4x faster than jaguar, zen1 is 40% faster than bulldozer. zen2 is 15% faster than zen1.

With the same clock?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the whole screen in the controller thing. That thing will chew through the battery like nothing else. So, unless Sony has some low power display tech in there, prepare for a controller that needs recharging more often than the DS4. Also, a second controller will cost the earth.

Then again, if it's a OLED screen with a small resolution: 320x240 or so, perhaps it won't be so bad? Gameboy Advance resolution would be okay..?

tm2jryrrjyo21.png

Dunno but this looks legit to me. There will be loads of devkits in the wild at this point.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not a photoshop, that's for sure. Though I don't think anyone actually assumed it was. Doesn't mean it's not fake and the image of the pad with the screen on does show signs of photoshop. Seeing as they're clearly from the same source, there's a good chance this is all fake.

Also, a video showing it in action would still leave the leaker just as anonymous as they are now, but it would help reduce the “faaake” calls.

Still, with a 3D printer and some off the shelves components you can create pretty nice working trolls if you only care about making one working prototype.

Do they? Thought FX cpu's had higher ipc, was wrong then.
FX CPUs can clock much higher (up to 5 GHz!) compared to Jaguar (2.5 GHz max), which increases single-threaded performance quite a bit.

Jaguar uarch has short pipelines and is optimized for efficiency. FX is less efficient and more power hungry (FX 9590 @ 5 GHz has 220W TDP!).

Single-threaded performance = IPC * clock

Many people confuse IPC with single-threaded performance. :)

have you played some recent games on the PS4?
just a few days ago I wanted to record a cool trickshot I did in Apex Legends.
after pressing the Share button I literally had to wait for 15 seconds (which is extremely dangerous in a BR game) until I was finally able hit Square to save the clip.

meanwhile on Xbox One recording clips in the same fashion takes less than a second no matter the game.

Last edited:
FX CPUs can clock much higher (up to 5 GHz!) compared to Jaguar (2.5 GHz max), which increases single-threaded performance quite a bit.

Jaguar uarch has short pipelines and is optimized for efficiency. FX is less efficient and more power hungry (FX 9590 @ 5 GHz has 220W TDP!).

Single-threaded performance = IPC * clock

Many people confuse IPC with single-threaded performance. :)

So a FX at 1.6ghz would be as capable as base ps4 jaguar?

rəddəM

I'm not sure about the whole screen in the controller thing. That thing will chew through the battery like nothing else. So, unless Sony has some low power display tech in there, prepare for a controller that needs recharging more often than the DS4. Also, a second controller will cost the earth.

Then again, if it's a OLED screen with a small resolution: 320x240 or so, perhaps it won't be so bad? Gameboy Advance resolution would be okay..?
I don't think the screen would be too much of a problem.
How long does a battery of a recent phone with AMOLED screen lasts?
A recent phone is literally a powerful PC with all the sensors and apps working all time off a battery.

Ar¢tos

Is there any advantage for 16T over 8T on a 8C cpu for a console? (outside of VR stuff)
I'm finding that 8c/16t leak hard to believe.

Fake

Depend of the OS needs I guess. I dunno if they gonna reused the PS4 OS or a pretty close PS3 interface. Who knows... Sony being listen feedback very
carefully.

ultrazilla

Did you see the message on the card near the dev machine and then look closely at what the
controller screen says? "Follow the white .........." I can't make it out but presume the last word is "Rabbit".

Interesting.

Did you see the message on the card near the dev machine and then look closely at what the
controller screen says? "Follow the white .........." I can't make it out but presume the last word is "Rabbit".

Interesting.

I know Jason Schreier said these were fake but if they are fake then the people making these are getting really good at it.

Plus that is a nice tie in to the previous Matrix codenames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom