• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your tattoos

meh
2i92o89.jpg

jboldiga said:
Traditional Japanese tattoos are my favorite but extremely hard to get since you basically have to know someone that has already gotten one and then have to be interviewed and approved by the master. I've been in contact with the man that did this one:

chiba_woman_tattoo_by_boost_samurai.jpg

He has a studio here in LA. Problem is traditional Japanese tattoos are done by hand and are extremely painful and take months/years to finish. They do the shit by hand with basically a mallet and a stick with needles attached. I've always wanted a tat like Crying Freeman's...

Now THAT is a tattoo.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
There are so many absolutely terrible tattoos in this thread. :lol Great job guys.

And Deathly Hollows? Really?

Except the ness. The middle one is awesome.

nesstattoo-1.jpg

gumshoe

Banned
Foob said:
came out perfectly
patpatriottattoo.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

What is even funnier is that I had no idea that it was supposed to be a patriot. I thought it was
a tattoo of Lion-O from Thundercats playing football :lol

Prepping for my first.

Couple questions:

1) Tipping? What percentage is cool?

2) Good way to find out how good a shop is rated? Chicago area here.

3) My bud is an amazing artist in general. I want to have him draw up my idea. Do you need to be a tatt artist to watch out for pitfalls or should the person I goto to have it done point out issues?

4) Typically are rates based on size, complexity, colors or all of the above?

Sheppard

krypt0nian said:
Prepping for my first.

Couple questions:

3) My bud is an amazing artist in general. I want to have him draw up my idea. Do you need to be a tatt artist to watch out for pitfalls or should the person I goto to have it done point out issues?

My best advice I can give you is that you should treat your artist like a rockstar. Honestly it will help. It is what they are looking for anyways. Most times the price is how big it would be. A massive back piece would cost a bit more then say an upper arm piece.

The thing about searching for a shop is you are really looking for an artist who is able to draw what you really want. A good place to find out this information is a Tattoo festival. They have bunch out here in Cali and I am sure they may have some in Chicago as well. Also while you are looking for an artist, try to find someone who understands you and what you are looking for. Most of my ink is done in a comic book look, so I found a artist who is really into comics and understands that look and feel of it.

You mentioned you friend is going to make your art. What will happen most times is that the artist will take the pic and make a carbon copy of it and place it on your body where you want it to go. Once this is done you should let the artist have some type of free form to it. It will make the art look better when the artist has some room to breathe on the way picture will look on your skin.

Togeo

Going back in for the final touches next Tuesday then continuing it down the arm for a half sleeve when I can get the rest of the money together.

Edit: Figure I'd just show the finished product instead.

krypt0nian said:
Prepping for my first.

Couple questions:

1. It depends on the final price. One of my tattoos ended up being much less expensive than I had originally thought and it came out looking perfect. The final price was $175, so I tipped $50.

2. In my experience, Deluxe Tattoo is the best overall. Those guys know their stuff and pretty much anyone working there will treat you right.
http://deluxetattoo.com/

Kevin Starai is the artist I went to at Deluxe, but he opened his own shop last year, A+ Plus tattoo. I don't know about the other guys at his shop, but I think Kevin is ridiculously talented and a cool guy, so I would give him my highest recommendation.
http://www.myspace.com/aplusplustattoo

Butterfat Studios is an idependent studio run by my friend Esther, and she was recently named the best artist in the city by Chicago magazine, but she is so busy she doesn't really take new clients and when she does you have to wait like 9 months for a session. It might be worth e-mailing her though, she rules.

http://butterfatstudios.com/home.html

Chicago Tattooing and Piercing Co is OK too, although I don't know much about any of their current artists work.

http://chicagotattoo.com/home.html

3. Any of the artists I recommended above will be able to adapt your artwork to a tattoo, but make suggestions about what will work and what won't work, and provide you with sketches before any work is done. Kevin Starai adapted my tattoo into one image from separate comic panels and did a fantastic job. If you go to someone good, they'll know whats up and steer you in the right direction.

Togeo

All healed up and nice. I'm really wanting to expand it through the shoulder into a half sleeve but I figure I'll wait on that.

091609232-1-1.jpg

jboldiga said:
Traditional Japanese tattoos are my favorite but extremely hard to get since you basically have to know someone that has already gotten one and then have to be interviewed and approved by the master. I've been in contact with the man that did this one:

He has a studio here in LA. Problem is traditional Japanese tattoos are done by hand and are extremely painful and take months/years to finish. They do the shit by hand with basically a mallet and a stick with needles attached. I've always wanted a tat like Crying Freeman's...

thats nice...

Tuvoc

here's some of my work. I've had a lot more done since then, but no recent pics yet. I've since added a giant dragon encompassing almost all of my upperarm, and it come down and around into my forearm. its not finished yet tho. I still have a lot of shading and color to still get through

tigertat.jpg

heres a video to go with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUrIN-64Dcw

poweld

mtxzbl.jpg

ferdinand.jpg

I could kiss the artist that gave me this back in '04. At some point I may want to get the mound/flower bed done...

Snaku

Banned
jboldiga said:

I've wanted irezumi done for a long time. It's the only way I'd consider getting a tattoo; I love its unique look.

Frester

For a while I was thinking of getting a full sleeve based on The Little Prince! Figured I'd repost my newest work since it seemed to have gotten lost in the pick-up thread, and since this one got bumped.

SwastikaFreakshop032.jpg

SwastikaFreakshop034.jpg

SwastikaFreakshop037.jpg

SwastikaFreakshop038.jpg

SwastikaFreakshop040.jpg

Tinabina

wow thats pretty awesome, whered you come up with the idea for that? i like the top part the best.

i was thinking of getting the little prince sleeve also but i chickened out and just did the back

Frester

tinabina said:
wow thats pretty awesome, whered you come up with the idea for that? i like the top part the best.

i was thinking of getting the little prince sleeve also but i chickened out and just did the back

Thanks :D The artist that did it specializes in geometric blackwork, dotwork, freehanding, etc. So when I showed up (he lives and works in southern Germany, went there specifically for him after my semester at Oxford was over) I just had a few ideas. My girlfriend ended up getting tattooed first, so when we came back the next day he had already drawn up a few sketches for my leg.

Koshiba

Bumping the thread.. think I'm finally going to get my first tattoo here soon. Planning on a Lotus Flower, probably on my left shoulder. Which I also remembered is the same as a manga character Nana.. Still trying to decide on what to go on exactly. Or I guess I can be nerdy and just copy Nana's tattoo. :lol

Loam

You know I have to ask, don't you guys have a fear of the inevitable wrinkles or color distorting on these things down the line?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Koshiba said:
Bumping the thread.. think I'm finally going to get my first tattoo here soon. Planning on a Lotus Flower, probably on my left shoulder. Which I also remembered is the same as a manga character Nana.. Still trying to decide on what to go on exactly. Or I guess I can be nerdy and just copy Nana's tattoo. :lol
get the best tattoo artist you can find!

Koshiba

DeathNote said:
get the best tattoo artist you can find!

I might have to just go with the guy my mom's BF sees. Because my mom's BF is the one that offered to pay for it. I guess I can go in there and have him draw it out first before I decide to let him ink it on me.

soultron

Banned
6376_142011251390_502876390_3688515_1781937_n.jpg

Got this tattooed on my elbow not too long ago. Calligraphy brush swept in a circle. I need to get it touched up already though -- my artist didn't do a great job on the outline and I allowed myself to get sunburnt while it was healing!

Red

I don't have any currently. Been wanting to get this done on my left arm:
2520995415_3263300bea.jpg

And the birds from this one done on my right shoulder:
xnwaix.jpg

Crunched said:
I don't have any currently. Been wanting to get this done on my left arm:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2313/2520995415_3263300bea.jpg[/MG]

And the birds from this one done on my right shoulder:
[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/xnwaix.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
Wow. Both of those are fantastic.

Top Bottom