• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

GhaleonEB

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm supposing this event happening tomorrow is being done to combat the negative response that this delay will incur.
It sure looks like Amir0x's 'shit sandwich' theory is right on.

*new game
*new game
*amazing trailer
*PS3 delay
*new game
*new game
*amazing trailer

Diablos

This sucks, if true.

However, I'm going to be optimistic and wait until I hear more official sources set the record straight.

I find it surprising that they have not finalized plans with Blu-Ray copyprotection; it's been in development for quite some time, has it not?

They really cannot afford to miss this holiday season. MS should have their production problems cleared up by then, will definitely have more interesting games on the shelves, and not to mention, may even consider a pricedrop to seriously take advantage of the possible lack of a new Sony console for another holiday season.

Hopefully, this is just some bogus rumor that will be put to rest when Wednesdayton arrives.

<nu>faust

i don't buy this "it's only because of blu-ray" poopenzeldroppencrap, i mean the lack of having hdmi/aac standarts might be a factor, it might even be the most important factor that lead to a delay..... but it can't be the only one. can it?

PhoenixDark said:
So, the PS3 could indeed walk right into Halo 3. Snaps.

We shall see. I FULLY expected the Revolution to be the last console released, but now...wow.

While this is horrible news for Sony, but the idea that Halo can dent it when it finally launches is HILARIOUS.

Not only that, many franchises on PS sell BETTER than Halo.

Lince

Banned
polished PS3 launch games FTW?

oh well, I already own X360 so I'll spend the money in a better CPU for my PC (maybe AMD FX)... it's going to take ages 'till PS3 lands in Europe.

Phoenix

I would still be greatly surprised if the PS3 doesn't ship "in time for Christmas" in 2006. If it doesn't that would be a disaster.... a career ending disaster for many people. I'll place a bet on a launch in US and Japan for Christmas 06.

Kobun Heat said:
HAY GUYZ I MADE A POLITICAL CARTOON

icarus5yg.jpg

top that, junkwaffle

Icarus OWNZORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
<nu>faust said:
i don't buy this "it's only because of blu-ray" poopenzeldroppencrap, i mean the lack of having hdmi/aac standarts might be a factor, it might even be the most important facor that lead to a delay..... but it can't be the only one. can it?
Of course not, they're just using it as an incredibly convenient excuse that the shareholders and the Sony overlords will buy.

I dunno, before I commit myself to this bit of news I guess we should wait from an official statement from Sony but lately I don't even think the higherups know what's going on with that system.

Not going to happen. Blu Ray becoming the defacto digital media is just as important to Sony as the PS3 doing well. Probably even more important. Fanatics may want to believe Blu Ray was included in the PS3 spec to improve games, but it's really there so Sony can sneak it into your living room.

I don't think they were including blu-ray to help game capacity. Of course it is there mostly solely to push the format. However, I disagree that blu-ray's success is as important as PS3 crushing all competition.

GhaleonEB

My Arms Your Hearse said:
While this is horrible news for Sony, but the idea that Halo can dent it when it finally launches is HILARIOUS.

Not only that, many franchises on PS sell BETTER than Halo.
I think Halo 3 will less dent the PS3 than it will boost and sustain demand for the 360, which will help keep the platform competetive whatever Sony puts out. It's more of an equalizing factor.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
human5892 said:
I don't think many people believed that we'd be seriously talking about a U.S. delay all the way until 2007. It was always obvious that it'd never make Spring here, but missing the holidays? I dunno, I think that's cause for some shock considering the implications.

Ok, yea, I can buy that.

... well, at least it doesn't make Iwata a liar ... saying they couldn't afford to launch after Sony ... heh.

So, what are we thinking now? March?

Tiktaalik

This is actually great news, since by then I'll be out of university, and I'll have a job and I'll actually be able to buy one :)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
It sure looks like Amir0x's 'shit sandwich' theory is right on.

*new game
*new game
*amazing trailer
*PS3 delay
*new game
*new game
*amazing trailer

Wasn't familiar with his "shit sandwich" theory personally.

This event certainly does make sense now though. They really need to combat the negative feedback that this will inevitably create. Look look! Don't buy a 360! We will be there eventually with all this gaming sweetness! Say no to Xbox 360!! It's like doing drugs!

hadareud

The Translator
I guess this means that the event tomorrow will be full of good news and new games announcements.

I knew it, as soon as you see an "insider" putting a :) at the end of a sentence it means that either doom is near or no news are coming at all.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GAF is slowing like it was E3..

I actually don't remember it being like this last E3!

edit - Wow! There's ~1500 people online now!

PhatSaqs

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Wasn't familiar with his "shit sandwich" theory personally.

This even certainly does make sense now though. They really need to combat the negative feedback that this will inevitably create. Look look! Don't buy a 360! We will be there eventually with all this gaming sweetness! Say no to Xbox 360!! It's like doing drugs!
:lol

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The only PS3 news I'm eager to hear about is the console and controller design, and if what we've been shown is in fact the final design. I really hope it isn't.

Helznicht

I think the real reason is cashflow.

91 Million?

Launching a console and taking the hit on selling below cost is very draining on Sony, Just look and how profits were affected when they last launched a console.

3rdman

<nu>faust said:
i don't buy this "it's only because of blu-ray" poopenzeldroppencrap, i mean the lack of having hdmi/aac standarts might be a factor, it might even be the most important facor that lead to a delay..... but it can't be the only one. can it?

Agreed...I don't think many people are buying the whole blu-ray story. Wasn't someone here saying that they've heard issues regarding the actual hardware? At this point, I think it might be safe to say that they are having problems with a little bit of everything if it meant that much of a delay. Heat, size, yields, costs...who knows.

Novemeber is not a shock though...only the truly lame or blind was betting on a spring launch. However if they miss out on a second holiday in the US, that would an extreme bit of concern for the company. But, like many have already said, this was seen coming months ago...for me, it became obvious that there were serious issues when Kutaragi was demoted.

Mashing

And here I was thinking the slowness was my works' crappy ass net connection.

Anway, look on the bright side of all of this. The conference tomorrow should have some great news. Gotta be something to soften the blow of this delay. Gotta keep the hype high.

teiresias

3rdman said:
Agreed...I don't think many people are buying the whole blu-ray story. Wasn't someone here saying that they've heard issues regarding the actual hardware? At this point, I think it might be safe to say that they are having problems with a little bit of everything if it meant that much of a delay. Heat, size, yields, costs...who knows.

I don't know if I'd buy the hardware line. We've already got sources from IBM talking about how suprisingly good the yields on CELL are, and we haven't heard rumblings of RSX trouble as far as I'm aware. There's not much else in the box that could be causing major problems like that.

Monorojo said:
This is great news people.

PS2 is far from dead, if Sony rushed out the PS3 like MS did with X360 they would simply be wasting all of the potential PS2 still has. We get more time to enjoy the greatest console ever made, which still has an unbelievable lineup of upcoming games (unlike GCN or Xbox)

Also, for Sony, it means that they will make it just in time for the Holiday season! Huge sales right off the back.

I mean, i can't really understand how any gamers can take this as bad news. Everyone wins.

Monorojo
SONY DAMAGE CONTROL SPECIAL OFFICER
(Today, 01:15 PM)
Reply | Quote

Kolgar

Assuming the article is correct...

Is it arrogance that makes Sony think they can give X360 a two-holiday-season headstart in NA and Europe?

WTF

Last time a game company pulled this kind of shenanigans (Nintendo with N64), I bought a PlayStation.

Yep, this is a megaton, all right.

GhaleonEB

Mashing said:
And here I was thinking the slowness was my works' crappy ass net connection.

Anway, look on the bright side of all of this. The conference tomorrow should have some great news. Gotta be something to soften the blow of this delay. Gotta keep the hype high.
look at it this way - the meeting is actually tonight (early evening on the west coast) - not long now

jedimike

I smell some double penetration here (and it doesn't smell good)... MS to have a price drop and a Halo 3 release before PS3 hits the US.

Also, publishers aren't going to wait. I know there were quite a few PS3/360 simultaneous release titles planned for this year. With PS3 out of the picture... MS automatically gets timed exclusives for free.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Well...I guess this is why there are game mockups and shitty games out there...and not much else. "It's just Blu-Ray." Riiiiiiiiiight.

I think the only good news is that I don't need to add another system to buy games for this year.

The bad news? All those games that are going to be on the PS2 past it's shelf life :(

Animal

WTF is the matter with all you.
We've been expecting this for months and making a new thread about it ever friggin day.
Even for me, who had some hope of an on time launch even given the considerable evidence against so. And only now you all are acting like the sky is falling.

Expected move Sony, but none the less the right one. Take you time to get your shit straight before you give us the PS3.

...but not too long because then id have to bomb your offices. :)

xexex

Banned
for those that have not seen it

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15354

Japanese newspaper reports PlayStation 3 delayed to November

Rob Fahey 19:01 14/03/2006

Six month delay caused by unresolved technical issues with Blu-Ray

One of Japan's leading newspapers, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun, is reporting in its Wednesday morning edition that the PlayStation 3 console has been delayed to November due to unresolved issues with the Blu-Ray technology.

According to the paper, the problem lies with the copy protection system used by Blu-Ray, details of which have not yet been finalised - which will now cause a delay of some six months to Sony's PS3 plans.

Sony has always maintained that the PS3 will launch in spring of this year, but most industry commentators and third-party publishers are currently anticipating US and Japanese launches late in 2006, followed by a European launch in early 2007.

If the Japanese launch doesn't occur until November, that could put any hope of a US launch in 2006 in jeopardy - which would give rival Microsoft a second Christmas on the market before the arrival of PS3 in the US as well as in Europe, as well as giving Nintendo a head-start with the Revolution console.

The newspaper report comes just hours before Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi is due to address a conference audience of media, analysts and third party publishers in Tokyo, where he is expected to announce details of the firm's plans for the next-generation PS3 system.

However, it's not clear whether Nihon Keizai Shimbun is reporting on leaked details from this conference, or whether the report is based on information from other sources. Speculation that technical problems with Blu-Ray could delay the roll-out of PS3 has been rife for well over a month, and has not been quelled by the announcement that Blu-Ray movie players will ship in North America in mid-May.

Sony's conference is planned for 3pm in Tokyo on Wednesday - around 6am GMT - and is also expected to feature a

first look at some of the launch line-up for the console.

remember in 1999 and 2000, Kutaragi said that PS3 will arrive BY 2006. so, I don't concider this a real delay, UNLESS AND UNTIL PS3 SLIPS INTO 2007

Mrbob

HD DVD is going to be hit with the same delay?

I guess MS did gamble the right way by sticking with DVD. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to get their system out until Nov 2006 either.

The good news is this probably means a lower entry point price on hardware since Sony is going to be late. Maybe we can get a $299 blu ray player/system....? I can hope, right?!

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
First of all, I couldn't miss out in being a part of this sure-to-be monumental thread.

Secondly, I totally saw this coming. I expected Sept '06 in Japan, late Nov '06 in NA and then April in Europe, though. It looks like it'll be Nov '06 in Japan, Feb/March in NA and Summer in Europe now. ouch. I wonder what this means for game companies that were targetting their games for a PS3/360 multiplatform release for this holiday season. Will they delay or go ahead and release the 360 version and a PS3 version/port 6-8 months later?

You've got lost of important games like Madden, the sports titles, Winning Eleven, RE5, Tom Clancy games, the Medal of Honor games, the next Spider-man, and... the next GTA. Whatever advantage Microsoft lost with it's shortages, it'll more than make up for by having free reign over the next-gen market for the next 6-12 months, basically. Would a 12+ million unit lead over the PS3 be enough for the 360 to sustain a lead in worldwide marketshare of the generation? Interesting...

jedimike

teiresias said:
I don't know if I'd buy the hardware line. We've already got sources from IBM talking about how suprisingly good the yields on CELL are, and we haven't heard rumblings of RSX trouble as far as I'm aware. There's not much else in the box that could be causing major problems like that.

Maybe it's software problems. The more complicated these machines become (dashboards, streaming media, downloads, etc.) the harder it is to develop a safe, secure, stable environment.

The 360 is still very buggy...

Diablos

I really don't like this news at all... please be a false rumor.

Here is one thing to consider: Before everyone hits the panic button, this is coming from one source, a source that has got some things wrong in the past IIRC. With this rumor clearly set to run rampant up until 10PM - 1AM tonight (depending on where you live here in the US) when Wednesdayton arrives, I think Ken will want to clear the air a bit. Just a bit. It would be stupid for him not to, so let's hope he does the right thing.

bishoptl said:

i thought that was the whole problem?? the architecture of the ps3 presented problems for most developeres. as in the 360 was more user friendly to program for meaning theyd get the most from the 360 faster than they would from the ps3, but in the long run ps3 was more powerful and would exhibit better looking games.....

at least i know thats what the doom 3 guy said

FiRez

Diablos said:
I really don't like this news at all... please be a false rumor.

Here is one thing to consider: Before everyone hits the panic button, this is coming from one source, a source that has got some things wrong in the past IIRC. With this rumor clearly set to run rampant up until Wednesdayton early tomorrow morning for us EST people, I think Ken will want to clear the air a bit. Just a bit. It would be stupid for him not to, so let's hope he does the right thing.

jennyahh.jpg

HUAHUA

Reilly

Reilly said:
I don't think the PS3 is coming out this year in NA. What they'll do is drop the price of the PS2 for Christmas. The PS3 will sell out no matter what time of the year it is.

I love being right

Top Bottom