• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Suicide Squad being delayed to Q4 2023

NickFire

Why are they assuming it will be received better later in the year?
I can think of one thing that might be possible in 7-8 months and would pretty much guarantee some extra sales. Not everyone will like the idea, but making Harley Quinn smoking hot would sell extra copies. It would also generate the kind of controversy that sounds bad to suits, but gets raved about on the streets.

jaysius

Just throw it in the trash.

Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN
God damnit, thats the gif I was going to post.

Here's the next preview:

jurassic park deal with it GIF

sainraja

The negativity surrounding this game isn't exclusive to GAF. It's everywhere. Rocksteady swung and missed hard on this one. A delay won't change that. It is what it is.
Sure, but no one has played the game yet. The game being GaaS shouldn't be an automatic dismissal. I would have preferred something more akin to the original Arkham games, but if they can deliver that in a "living" world, I am willing to give it a shot. It will be competing with Destiny for time for me but if it is good in the way they designed it, I don't need to judge it right now.

Thief1987

Why can't these dumb execs understand why we hate this game?

Because these corporate execs don't know what they are doing. They are the same people telling us that single player games are dead. They said that about 6-8 years ago. They are clueless.
I think this game could have been pretty succesfull if released 3-4 years ago. This is a prime example of why trend chasing is very risky or even outright stupid strategy with modern enormous dev cycles.

Last edited:

intbal

Saints Row killed Volition, a developer that was much older than Rocksteady.

Will this game be the end of the Batman studio?

diffusionx

Sure, but no one has played the game yet. The game being GaaS shouldn't be an automatic dismissal. I would have preferred something more akin to the original Arkham games, but if they can deliver that in a "living" world, I am willing to give it a shot. It will be competing with Destiny for time for me but if it is good in the way they designed it, I don't need to judge it right now.
it sounds like you enjoy gaas shit, which is fine, but it should be clear most people do not, especially in a capeshit game (where it is a really bad fit). A lot of people will dismiss this out of hand because we have been subject to gaas abominations for a long time now and based on what we saw, this is no different.

It's not just the gaas shit though, the characters look horrible and samey, the stupid purple targets on everything, it just looks awful. I don't see why they should get the benefit of the doubt especially in a year when lots more compelling stuff is coming.

Last edited:

Kacho

We don't need to play it to make a judgement call. People overwhelmingly rejected what Rocksteady showed us and that's on them. No one is obligated to shell out $70 to give it a shot.

Baki

Upon second read, the delay is to avoid a crowded release slate with Zelda, FF and Diablo.

it sounds like you enjoy gaas shit, which is fine, but it should be clear most people do not, especially in a capeshit game (where it is a really bad fit). A lot of people will dismiss this out of hand because we have been subject to gaas abominations for a long time now and based on what we saw, this is no different.

It's not just the gaas shit though, the characters look horrible and samey, the stupid purple targets on everything, it just looks awful.
GAAS is the biggest gaming segment.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

And I stupidly thought that after Diablo Immoral reveal devs worldwide would start paying attention to want gamers really want...

The Skull

OK, I still say people are being quick to judge. The game isn't out yet.
People can just see what the game for what it is. It has multiple currencies, a battle pass and store. It's a GAAS game that's designed to squeeze every penny it can from anyone who buys it. The gameplay itself looks very poor, which mainly consists of shooting generic purple looking enemies. I think everyone would be happy to be proven wrong based on Rocksteady's stellar handling of previous Batman games but unfortunately this doesn't look like it will be anything but a bomb.

dottme

I'm betting they don't want to release anywhere near Zelda and FF16. That showcase completely buried this game.
That’s my feeling. They realize they don’t have a big game, so they might hope for better sales if there’s no competition.

BoxFresh123

I want it to be good. Whet they did with the Batman series is fantastic but the more I've seen of this the less interested I've been.

But as Jason said in one of his tweets, this delay isn't going to massively change what has been shown.

SJRB

There's no way Rocksteady and WB currently are NOT in complete disarray after that overwhelmingly negative reception two weeks ago.

Can't imagine it being fun over there at the moment.

Braag

Just release it so we can get it over with. It looks like trash and will die couple years later anyway. Maybe then Rocksteady can make something the players want instead of something the executives at WB want.

FBeeEye

If publishers feel they can only make money by making these types of games, then consolidation is inevitable. If an Elden Scrolls or a Hogwarts Legacy doesn't sell enough copies to make games like those worth it to publishers, then all is lost.

No one wants these games. These people watched Marvel's Avengers belly flop and so they double down on a failed formula.

RoadHazard

Not like they're gonna have time to change what people didn't like about it (which is pretty much the entire premise and core of the game) in that amount of time.

Spaceman292

Man this was literally the only game I actually cared about this year, just stop giving a fuck about people on the internet and release it
Really? Out of all the other good shit that will and already has come out this year?

Last edited:
GAAS is the biggest gaming segment.
You're making the same mistake these fuckhead executives are. You're looking at the 3 to 5 success stories and ignoring the dozens that have collapsed. If you want a shot at being in the top 5, you have to spend a dangerous amount of time and money in development and if it's a bust, you may not just have a failed game on your hands, you might also have a bankrupt studio. The cost of video game development is getting dangerous.

Last edited:

Not like they're gonna have time to change what people didn't like about it (which is pretty much the entire premise and core of the game) in that amount of time.

maybe, in addition to the purple ones, they will add red, blue, and green orbs to shoot at 😲

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Of course it's being delayed for "polish" which is hysterical, because that's not what people were upset about. At all. The gameplay and "mechanics" are the issue, not the "jank", lol.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So it's going to be Gotham Knights all over again. Develop the game as a live service in a time where they're thriving, release a trailer for a game with a long outdated model, see all the negative feedback, try to strip the GAAS crap out before release.

What a mess.

SJRB

We flicked the switch!

Justice League: Kill the Suicide Squad

Play as Superman
Play as Wonder Woman
Play as Flash

Would instantly make the game more appealing.

I don't think a couple of months is going to be enough considering they've been working on this fucking thing for SEVEN YEARS and this is all they have to show for it.

This game is doomed and Rocksteady's pristine track record is ruined.

no-one-stays-good-dc-comics.gif

Umbasaborne

You're making the same mistake these fuckhead executives are. You're looking at the 3 to 5 success stories and ignoring the dozens that have collapsed. If you want a shot at being in the top 5, you have to spend a dangerous amount of time and money in development and if it's a bust, you may not just have a failed game on your hands, you might also have a bankrupt studio. The cost of video game development is getting dangerous.
Yep; this is what i mean when i say the business of triple a games has gone to absolute shit

Baki

I agree. GAAS is winner takes all and is a really expensive investment from the studio. Bungie is 2x the size of Naughty Dog to support 1 game. :messenger_tears_of_joy: MiHoYo has 2K devs and that's mainly for 1 game and another 1 in development.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think this game could have been pretty succesfull if released 3-4 years ago. This is a prime example of why trend chasing is very risky or even outright stupid strategy with a modern enormous dev cycles.

I 1000% agree with this!

Top Bottom