• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Suicide Squad being delayed to Q4 2023

hyperbertha

Thats your point of view, I don't see anything unique and most of the long awaited sequels I'm not interested in outside of alan wake

Outside of that I've actually played SS beta and it was dope, but I guess its a good move to put it out of the way of SF 6 and Zelda. That being said, its certainly a disaster after pushing it with a state of play
and looter shooter gaas no 2199 is unique? With the most generic third person shooting imaginable?

spartan30gr

fire lit af GIF by TV 2 ZULU

Rocksteady creators right now

RafterXL

Imagine thinking you can fix this games problems in 6 months. Just release it in May, it is what it is and unless they completely strip out the gunplay and go to faithful character interpretations it's not going to change the reception. Also, good luck removing the AI partner system in single player in that time as well.

phant0m

Nothing they can do at this point is going to fix the issues people have with this game.
Not true. While I don’t think they will fix it, Ghost Recon Breakpoint had a lot of the same issues/complaints when it launched (gear loot, gear scores, awful UI etc).

They ripped all that shit out and it’s actually a really good tactical military shooter now.

Again, will they? Probably not. But it’s not impossible.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
If they want their studio to survive this, they better delay it a year with a huge redesign involved. What we saw looked like the alpha version of a cancelled game from 2014.

Roni

Not true. While I don’t think they will fix it, Ghost Recon Breakpoint had a lot of the same issues/complaints when it launched (gear loot, gear scores, awful UI etc).

They ripped all that shit out and it’s actually a really good tactical military shooter now.

Again, will they? Probably not. But it’s not impossible.
I actually didn't buy the game recently because I came across tons of comments on that. Interesting they turned it around... Might pick it up when it goes on sale next time.

Mossybrew

Justified. They need more time to figure out how to add more GAAS, Microtransactions, and look into the possibility of NFT. It will be great.
One of the suits had a great last minute idea - make this the first game to have both a battle pass and loot boxes. Will be worth the delay!

Sygma

and looter shooter gaas no 2199 is unique? With the most generic third person shooting imaginable?

Difference between you and me : I actually played it, and yes there's pretty much nothing like it outside of Sunset Overdrive to a small extent

Last edited:

Holammer

They should just release it, show some stiff upper lip and accept failure. It should sell enough to recoup most of the cost or even a humble profit.
Moving the game to a later date for "mainly for polish" reasons sounds like bunk, they want to spend some money on a marketing campaign to shift the narrative. Get more influencers onboard. If they can sell Raid Shadow Legends, they can sell this.

Maybe even negative marketing, where they paint criticism as a social justice issue.
'Oh noes, the hacker known as 4chan is bullying our voice actors!'

simpatico

I wonder at what stage of development it became a looter shooter? I wonder if there was ever a complete "regular game' to revert back to.

radewagon

This game is dead on arrival...
Yep. It's such a profound misreading of what people look for in licensed games. The Arkham games were successful because they let you be Batman. Insomniac's Spiderman let you be Spiderman. Jaws Unleashed let you be Jaws. These games live and die by how well they satisfy the roleplay fantasy of nerds the world over. Nothing about this game seems to care about delivering an experience that is representative of the IP.

sachos

Man i feel bad for the devs, there is not much they can change other than polishing the game. Make it work offline for single player, thats a good start. Other than the forced online shit i think people are coming a little too hard on the game, but i understand how disappointing it looks to fans coming from the Arkham trilogy having focused so much on GaaS inspired design.

Arsic

They had a decent release window to surprise people if the game is good. Now with it releasing later between bigger releases or during holidays ? Yikes .

Sent to die.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Even if Suicide Squad is simply a "competent" third person shooter, it wins by default because Gotham Knights isnt even a competent game let alone a good game.
Gotham Knights actively tries to make itself unfun, Suicide Squad might have uninspired sub-bosses (shoot the purple shit) but atleast the core combat should be good, the gameplay loop is something someone could have fun with even if its not what they wanted from a Rocksteady game....it would still be a better game than a game that isnt a good game to begin with.

SenjutsuSage

Halo TV Series Promoter - Live from: Reach
Tough audience. I liked what I saw a lot. It genuinely does look fun. What it would come down to for me is the story execution and presentation and visual and gameplay customizations. It appears like it will be loaded and provide lots of fun in that respect.

FeralEcho

Imagine if they had done Batman Beyond Arkham? Breh…instant 10 million sales…
To me it's like a no brainer,going with Suicide Squad of all things clearly feels like a decision made by WB not Rocksteady and not only is that moronic when you had 3 major Batman successes but they had the blueprint already so we'd have gotten our second game by now already not wait 8 years for this turd. They literally wasted an entire decade almost....that's staggering and pathetic,no wonder the founders bailed out.

ZoukGalaxy

Imagine if they had done Batman Beyond Arkham? Breh…instant 10 million sales…
I think any Batman from RockSteady would have been truely heaven (well, except if it's GAAS, online only and multiplayer/coop).
I mean look at Arkham Knight, it looks incredible until this day and gameplay is still on top, It such a pleasure to fly upon the city. Damn, I love this game so much (Batmobile included).

RockSteady is such an incredible dev and I feel sad to see them "wasted" on this project. It looks like an Avengers bis.

Last edited:

RayHell

This whole situation is a corporate mess.

WB pushing Suicide Squad franchise that few care about.
Rocksteady developing a very generic GaaS creating deception for their fans.
Sony doing one of the worst State of Play trying to shove hype down people throat with an overly long preview about a game nobody wanted.

They were so busy trying to satisfy each others interest that they forgot about what gamers really want.

Bragr

They should just release it, show some stiff upper lip and accept failure. It should sell enough to recoup most of the cost or even a humble profit.
I am thinking the same. I don't know what they hope to accomplish here, the negative buzz is already so strong that it would take a miracle to remove it, and adding to the cost like they are doing now is a big risk.

Marvel's Avengers is a landmark title, in the sense that it destroyed so much goodwill towards superhero games, especially co-op ones, that they need to do something different to convince people there is something here to get excited about.

Nickolaidas

they should consider canceling it, shutting down Rocksteady, burning down their office, salting the earth, and then performing an exorcism on the area so no evil of this sort could arise there again
Except this isn't Rocksteady's fault. It's WB's for forcing them to turn a GotG game into a fortnite game.

sinnergy

This whole situation is a corporate mess.

WB pushing Suicide Squad franchise that few care about.
Rocksteady developing a very generic GaaS creating deception for their fans.
Sony doing one of the worst State of Play trying to shove hype down people throat with an overly long preview about a game nobody wanted.

They were so busy trying to satisfy each others interest that they forgot about what gamers really want.
I work in a corporate mess , managers are idiots .. they talk a lot , make decisions about stuff they don’t know and worse they don’t produce products 🤣 so how would they know what is needed…. The world in a nutshell. But all companies recruit managers .. because , they think they need those people .

Last edited:

Bragr

Except this isn't Rocksteady's fault. It's WB's for forcing them to turn a GotG game into a fortnite game.
I think a lot of blame lies here, there is a reason why Rocksteady has not produced much since 2015, I can't imagine that the studio wanted to produce some sort of GaaS game. There must have been a lot of internal mess going on.

PeteBull

Can they make it single player only and story driven in in 6 months 🤣 like Batman Asylum?
And while we are at it, they gotta fix that awful fortnite alike gameplay where all characters, even ones who shouldnt have guns, just jump/fly around and shooting everywhere :p

Azurro

Just the concept of this game is so goddamn stupid. If anyone with real superpowers went crazy, much less the freaking Justice League, the suicide squad last about a minute, even if you give them guns and "traversal mods". That the suits went and thought that pitting a CRAAZEEY girl with a bat, a dude with a boomerang, a guy that...shoots very well and a strong shark vs the Justice League would be a good idea should never take any creative decisions, ever. The concept is so stupid it is offensive.

FunkMiller

Imagine being a dev on this, who's had to slave away on this fucking turd for years of their lives, knowing it was a fucking turd, but having to do what they were told, because of their greedy corporate higher ups. Must be absolutely soul destroying to know how much of your time and ability you've wasted. Especially if you've previously worked on an Arkham game.

Neff

There's no way Rocksteady and WB currently are NOT in complete disarray after that overwhelmingly negative reception two weeks ago.

Can't imagine it being fun over there at the moment.

Rocksteady had to expect a bit of resistance, it's not their genre and it's not their audience.

WB's executives, bean counters, and marketers are probably wondering what the hell they did wrong.

If an Elden Scrolls or a Hogwarts Legacy doesn't sell enough copies to make games like those worth it to publishers, then all is lost.

Hogwarts is already in the process of making an absolute fortune.

You're looking at the 3 to 5 success stories and ignoring the dozens that have collapsed.

In fairness, when it does work, it's basically free money. Lots of it, for a long time. So it's not surprising why so many publishers throw millions at developing them.

You're right though, the ratio of successes vs failures isn't great, and a failed GaaS at this level isn't cheap to write off.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Thats your point of view, I don't see anything unique and most of the long awaited sequels I'm not interested in outside of alan wake

Outside of that I've actually played SS beta and it was dope, but I guess its a good move to put it out of the way of SF 6 and Zelda. That being said, its certainly a disaster after pushing it with a state of play
Suicide squad looks like the least unique thing ever

Cyborg

Do we even care at this point? This game has so many negative vibes surrounding it I would just delay it into 2024 and change the name.

Top Bottom