• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Sacrificed the PlayStation 4 Camera to Beat Microsoft on Price

Somnid

It can definitely impact the ability to sell breakout software using the device. It would have to come from Sony first to spawn adoption and I really don't think they have it in them. Honestly just providing a box and a highly standard controller is more risky in this market than ever.

You could make the argument that the camera isn't a neccesity and that's fine, but having it packed in each box like kinect makes it infiinitiely more likely it will be used in more games, and used better. Not having Move camera included basicly dooms the move as a viable platform.

Hip Hop

Yes and?

I bought a Playstation eye for the movie controller a few years ago and neither of them get any use now.

You're acting as if it would be the same case for the PS4 if it would have been included with a camera. Maybe if the camera would have not been fragmented with the PS3/PS4, developers could have created something a little more meaningful that putting it away for a few years would not be the case.

I actually want software support for the new kinect so in glad to have it bundled. I think in the long run its a good move. It's a differentiating factor. I understand many have no interest so I guess they are screwed.

jaypah

You can buy it for $59.99 instead of an extra $100 packed in.

I meant that I wanted it standard in the hopes that more devs would make stuff for it as I really had a lot of fun with Move (and Kinect). But as I said it was good for Sony and for those folks who didn't want it.

Acosta

4AzcEnu.jpg

"You have chosen wisely"

That IGN feature tone it´s hilarious: "lingering reminder of Sony's failure to support the tech.", oh the tears.

The tech is there. IF they have the proper software they can ask their consumers to put the extra effort of buying a camera, and it will be better because that tech is in place, that's how it should be: optional and based of having something really appealing.

Forcing whatever gimmick your engineers and/or marketers feels hot about is the WRONG way of doing it, especially if it suppose a significant price increase.

While I don't agree with all the bs Microsoft were spouting, holy hell people fucking EVOLVE. All we know the camera could have been the absolute shit, now it's going to just be absolute shit. You people are fucking stagnant as fuck. I love the controller just as much as you but dammit new experiences aren't always a bad thing. So Damn close minded on this site sometimes. Fuck.

Kyon

Banned
Yep. All of the work Sony put into making PS4 camera & light tracking (controller) features will probably go to waste. Games made for it would already be at a disadvantage since for many, the cost of the game would be the price of the game + the price of the PS4 camera. Cuts into people who are willing to try out games made for the device.

The cheaper price of the system definitely helps though -- especially for the group that will be buying the console early that more than likely don't care much about motion controls.

Yep. I'm pretty sure that true (as I said before in my point about early console buyers).

that was just to confirm the user no? Im sure with how experienced they are with move that light didnt require much work at all. Also 2-3 gimmicks being lost is worth it

Orayn

Assuming they make a healthy profit on the camera at $60, I doubt it would have added a full $100 to the PS4's MSRP.

Still, this was a very good move against Microsoft and THREE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS is a very attractive price point indeed.

Yasir

You're acting as if it would be the same case for the PS4 if it would have been included with a camera. Maybe if the camera would have not been fragmented with the PS3/PS4, developers could have created something a little more meaningful that putting it away for a few years would not be the case.

Glad move died, and hope kinect dies too. Then back to basics, and good old fun with better specs and better prices, and less shovelware and forced motion controls.

Interfectum

This is all true and good work by ign here to get behind all of it.

When you relegate something as an accessory, you relegate it to death. Uselessness. So while us hardcore gamers win, because we don't care, all practical uses of a built in camera are dead along with this. Everyone wins on price obviously, but Sony's already taking a bath on hardware. They could've easily increased that bath by 30 or 40 bucks to get their camera off the ground.

Keep in mind that I'm not looking at this from a gamers perspective when I say all that. Just a mass market perspective. They Are still priced out of the mass market and will be for a long time. They basically "move"'d this.

Kinect is going to be just as useless considering no other platforms have a standard camera. Most multiplatform games will use kinect for simple throwaway gestures and voice control which could also be used for the PS Eye.

So yeah, not much lost.

That's only part of it. We knew the PS4 wouldn't include a camera long before E3...

IGN is using some common knowledge, slapping an "inside source" and making an article out of it with no facts to back it up... Doesn't deserve the hits.

kitch9

Banned
Why wouldn't I want a camera pointing at me that I can't be sure is off all the time?

The wafting around the living room fad is dead, literally no one could give a single fuck about it.

Good, I'll buy it when the software is there, not buy it and 'hope' for software to be there.

On another note, I kind of wish they would have bundled it, but needing the Move controllers for it to function would have even increased the cost more (and no, using a DS4 doesn't count).

Sports Champions was one of the best motion controlled games of the entire generation.

RoKKeR

What a disgustingly biased article for Kinect. Like there are any good, core titles that use the damn camera.

We tried motion control last gen, it didn't workz and it won't work this gen even with MS forcing it down our throats.

Kyon

Banned
While I don't agree with all the bs Microsoft were spouting, holy hell people fucking EVOLVE. All we know the camera could have been the absolute shit, now it's going to just be absolute shit. You people are fucking stagnant as fuck. I love the controller just as much as you but dammit new experiences aren't always a bad thing. So Damn close minded on this site sometimes. Fuck.

Why are you FUMING over a damn gimmick/fad that didnt work in the long haul for either 3?

DBT85

I have no problems with this. Give me sports champions online multilayer Table tennis and disk golf, and I'll buy the eye.

Mrbob

Good. I don't want to be saddled with a camera. Gimmick.

They still would have won on price. PS4 w/ camera price would have been $449. Now they win even bigger by not forcing something onto everyone which they may not want.

Kolgar

Good. Bundle the console with the camera later in a separate sku once compelling software is out. No sense forcing it on buyers now.

andycapps

I actually plan on buying the camera and hope that devs support the color tracking separate players like Sony had touted originally. I hope that is supported at the OS level or is a title requirement, but obviously that the camera is optional.

But Sony making the camera optional was definitely the right decision because not everyone will want it.

Good decision.

What's more is that the Kinect "features" of third party games could easily be ported to PS4 as optional extras that work if a camera is attached. That would give people the option to play that way if they wanted to.

I'm not even buying an xb1 right away and I can tell you kinect will most definitely have better games then move because it's being packed in.

StevieP

Banned
So EyeToy and Kinect, right?

Eye toy was never widely used in software.
Specialty software had to be made.

Kinect re invigorated the 360 as a motion control enabled console. It is not, however, in every console. Or wasn't at least. As a result, most software doesn't use it because the install base isn't there for that. Special software had to be made to take advantage of its features. That is no longer the case with kinect. Because its in every box, developers have its features at its disposal as a known quantity. Not an unknown.

Why am I explaining all this? Everyone knows what an accessory is and why it's not necessarily a good thing to relegate something to an accessory. Just mentioning something like the n64 expansion pack should say enough.

hal9001

Banned

I think people have the right to have the option to choose at least what and how they play there games and should not be forced into it.

border

You could make the argument that the camera isn't a neccesity and that's fine, but having it packed in each box like kinect makes it infiinitiely more likely it will be used in more games, and used better.

Really? Because Kinect is bundled with the Xbox One, and it hasn't exactly seen a massive outpouring of developer/game support.

In a multiplatform world, not many people want to make games built around motion/voice controls.

solarus

In my opinion, terrible decision, if the kinect proves to be successful and popular then they fucked themselves over. They clearly wanted to bundle it, those LEDs are useless now.

sublimit

Banned
"Sacrifice" is not the appropriate word and i doubt they did it just "to beat Microsoft on price".
It was more like common sense to let the consumer decide whether he/she needed an extra peripheral and of course to keep the entry price point low.

Personally i don't so i'm thankful for their decision.

Bullshit, the camera is only $60 with a profit margin, so it obviously wasn't going to add $100.

We also knew it wasn't being included because the DS4 ad said so.

All good points.

Raist

Banned
Overall I'm not sure not making it bunbled with the hardware would have such an impact on support. If people are interested in it, they'll buy it. If it's bundled with it, people who don't give a shit about the function wouldn't buy games based on the camera to begin with.

Besides their priority seems to be remote play, and that would definitely clash with a more or less mandatory camera stuff.

What are the latest known figures for the PSeye and Move? Maybe they consider these sales satisfying enough to not have to bundle it.

Bullshit, the camera is only $60 with a profit margin, so it obviously wasn't going to add $100.

We also knew it wasn't being included because the DS4 ad said so.

Well, it could have been camera + move lollipop. Not that I think this article is necessarily true.

jond76

Banned
You can buy it for $59.99 instead of an extra $100 packed in.

With the promise of zero support for it.

I feel bad for the developers of the new eye who thought their work would be promoted. Instead, it was essentially sent out back to die.

Like it or not, the Kinect being packed in is a great way to support the technology. You can choose not to buy the One.

I knew something had to be quietly nixed to keep the price low. Sony did the same thing with the Vita. Good thing that this time they cut an optional peripheral as opposed to something that's required to play games. Definitely relieves some reservations I had with the PS4.

Top Bottom