• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Sacrificed the PlayStation 4 Camera to Beat Microsoft on Price

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
yiNen8P.gif

Kyon

Banned
In my opinion, terrible decision, if the kinect proves to be successful and popular then they fucked themselves over. They clearly wanted to bundle it, those LEDs are useless now.

i hope you know that the lights were not designed specifically for the camera.

Also kinect cant be a HIT if its in every single console. That makes no sense

Good, one less thing that developers will have to consider to work into their games. People already have concerns about how developers will use the touchpad.

What with this and the DRM thing being mysteriously changed at the last second (as well as the 8GB GDDR5), it's starting to look like Sony deliberately used misinformation to lure Microsoft into announcing a comparatively weak deal.

Afrikan

It also means that there's absolutely no hope that anything meaningful will be made with the camera. Sony might as well just get rid of it altogether.

The PS3's EYE wasn't bundled in with the PS3 and had many move games released much later in the consoles life time....yet had

126+ Games that supported it. Including big games like Killzone, MLB The Show, Infamous, etc.

If Microsoft's system had some type of Navi controller/Move controller to go with their Camera then maybe Sony would've included their Cam.

but if 3rd Parties are going to have to make Motion type games that only use body parts as motion input, then they would not be taking advantage of the Move's true potential.

camera alone, the Kinect is more accurate and can track someone in the dark....but with the Move, PlayStation's Motion games had more accurate gameplay.

so again, if no 3rd Party were going to take advantage of that early on...well sell the console cheaper...and a couple of years into it, if the PS4 has a good lead in sales, then maybe bundle it back and feature it more for 3rd Party devs to have a solid base to sell to.

edit- sorry to rush that last paragraph but gotta run to work.

Arklite

In my opinion, terrible decision, if the kinect proves to be successful and popular then they fucked themselves over. They clearly wanted to bundle it, those LEDs are useless now.

It was a good call. $499 for a less impressive camera than Kinect doesn't make it look great. $399 alone looks great.

Valnen

If they can sell it at retail for 59, then bundled it would have raised the price by $50 I imagine not $100.

But I am glad they left it out, optional is better, particularly since it gives them motivation to release compelling software for it to spur sales.

$399 sounds way better to your average consumer's ear than $450, even if the difference isn't that dramatic.

StevieP

Banned
While I don't agree with all the bs Microsoft were spouting, holy hell people fucking EVOLVE. All we know the camera could have been the absolute shit, now it's going to just be absolute shit. You people are fucking stagnant as fuck. I love the controller just as much as you but dammit new experiences aren't always a bad thing. So Damn close minded on this site sometimes. Fuck.

Exactly right. We as "hardcore gamers" often fail to think outside the box and fear change of any kind. As an example, we shouldn't be playing shooters with a controller anymore. We should be playing them with devices like evolved versions of move and wiimote on consoles. But closed minded-ness keeps us where we are. And as a result, level designs (especially on the vertical plane) and other thinfs like enemy placement will remain stagnant for yet another generation.

Foolworm

Didn't Sony refuse to divulge details because they didn't want to show their hand to the competition? That was a genius move, it gives them the perfect reason to watch and wait while fanning the flames and creating hype. This is what I mean when I say Microsoft has serious PR issues.

Mononoke

Banned
While I don't agree with all the bs Microsoft were spouting, holy hell people fucking EVOLVE. All we know the camera could have been the absolute shit, now it's going to just be absolute shit. You people are fucking stagnant as fuck. I love the controller just as much as you but dammit new experiences aren't always a bad thing. So Damn close minded on this site sometimes. Fuck.

Lol

Looking at the history of consumer goods, some things don't change, because they were the best solution to begin with. I'll take a controller any day over waving my hands via Motion control.

I'm ready to evolve, it's called Oculus Rift.

WolvenOne

Is there any hope that preorder figures for the Xbone be so low that Microsoft does a 180° on Kinect too?

Probably not.

Microsoft reportedly wants to push the Kinect for PC gaming as well, and plan on eventually releasing a PC version for that purpose. The only way way for that to be viable, is to push developers to utilize it on the X1, so that the same functionality remains in place for PC ports. Without that, even after the peripheral is made available, there would be little need for adoption. Seeing as widespread adoption would greatly benefit Microsoft, in hardware sales and licensing fees, they probably figure its worth the risk.

To give up on this possibility, sales would have to be disastrously slow, and I don't think the savings would be enough to allow them to drop the price 100usd either. The extra cost is probably related more to low yields.

Noid

Neo Member
"...it guarantees that every user will have the option to try Kinect-enabled games and experiences"

Is that even correct english? How is it an option if it is guaranteed? Isn't the definition of an option that there is choice involved? For example: Every PS4 buyer has the option to try camera gaming, but they also have the option to save 59 bucks and NOT try camera gaming. (English is my second language by the way so I might actually be wrong)

And also the "games and experiences" makes it sound sooo PR. Dat journalism.

TheJLC

It was a great decision. We shouldn't have to pay for something we don't want, and we shouldn't be forced into something we don't want to use.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's a good move for Sony for sure. MS' decision could tunr out fine too though. By requiring Kinect all devs now know everyone has one and it's plugged in. We could see some awesome things come out of it.

Eye toy was never widely used in software.
Specialty software had to be made.

Kinect re invigorated the 360 as a motion control enabled console. It is not, however, in every console. Or wasn't at least. As a result, most software doesn't use it because the install base isn't there for that. Special software had to be made to take advantage of its features. That is no longer the case with kinect. Because its in every box, developers have its features at its disposal as a known quantity. Not an unknown.

Why am I explaining all this? Everyone knows what an accessory is and why it's not necessarily a good thing to relegate something to an accessory. Just mentioning something like the n64 expansion pack should say enough.

I have no idea. I'm still wondering why accessory = death? I think Kinect turned out to be a good thing for ms. As with EyeToy, as with Wii Fit Balance Board which special software had to be made in order to take advantage of it's features.

Relegating something to an accessory has proven to be a success.

JJD

What's stopping developers of core games (not kinect games) to implement the same functionality on the PS4 versions regardless of the PS Eye adoption? I doubt it would be that difficult.

I'm pretty sure the PS4 Eye can read voice commands and simple gestures the same way Kinect does. Since most core games seems to be using variations of these 2 features I believe it would be easy to do the same thing on PS4.

Obviously I'm not talking about games made from the ground up for Kinect only input control since it is more advanced than the Eye.

But voice commands like the ones used on Ryse, and simple gesture commands on squad based or tactical shooters are probably easy to replicate on the PS Eye.

If the developer does it on the Xbone, how hard can it be to port the feature to the PS4?

maltrain

Wise decision. The camera is not an essential accessory. Those who want it will buy it anyway, sooner or later.

Exactly. I don´t need lights on my controller by now. If they show me a game that worth the camera, I'll buy it. At first, I don't need it. In fact, I almost never used the camera on PS3, only for a few Move games and that's it.

Smart move from Sony.

KAL2006

Banned
Eye toy was never widely used in software.
Specialty software had to be made.

Kinect re invigorated the 360 as a motion control enabled console. It is not, however, in every console. Or wasn't at least. As a result, most software doesn't use it because the install base isn't there for that. Special software had to be made to take advantage of its features. That is no longer the case with kinect. Because its in every box, developers have its features at its disposal as a known quantity. Not an unknown.

Why am I explaining all this? Everyone knows what an accessory is and why it's not necessarily a good thing to relegate something to an accessory. Just mentioning something like the n64 expansion pack should say enough.

This is good news. As a person who only likes fully traditional games or fully motion games. If they make a Move game, I'd rather they go all out and make something like Sports Champions or Start the Party. I hate when they tack on voice commands and motion controls in a traditional game. So in that case this is good news to me.

Ding-Ding

Good. Cant stand the thought of paying for something I couldn't stand.

Its about time all manufacturer's realised that a gimmick should be optional, not mandatory

StuBurns

Banned
Well, it could have been camera + move lollipop. Not that I think this article is necessarily true.
Even less likely. They'd never ship with two completely different controllers.

I don't believe this rumor at all. And it's not just bullshit because the maths don't add up, and the DS4 advert already said it wasn't in the box, it's bullshit because none of the games showed any indication Sony had suggested it was going to include it.

Sony would have had to justify this addition with software, games would have been made, or at least altered to show the Eye's importance.

Every move Sony has made since the day this console was announced suggested they were building it around the core gaming needs. Their marketing campaign is basically "Xbox want your grandma, we got your back guys". The inclusion of this would have been contradictory to that.

Maybe there was a $450 bundle planned, and they didn't want to complicate the release with multiple SKUs, but even that I'd find surprising.

The suspicion around the price is so strange. I think the Vita is considerably more impressive for it's price versus it's competition.

adversary

Banned
This is a good move by Sony. Originally, I was hoping both consoles would have the camera, but Microsoft haven't really shown anything to really sell the Kinect. None of their core games use it.

Somewhat related, I hope you can disable the pointless light bar on the back of DS4. Don't want to see the reflection of that shit on my TV. DS3's red LED is annoying enough.
It's incredible how a more powerful system like the PS4 has a lower price than XB1 even if you include the camera.
Kinect isn't just a camera. Nor even just two cameras. It's expensive for a reason.

border

As an example, we shouldn't be playing shooters with a controller anymore. We should be playing them with devices like evolved versions of move and wiimote on consoles. But closed minded-ness keeps us where we are. And as a result, level designs (especially on the vertical plane) and other thinfs like enemy placement will remain stagnant for yet another generation.

This makes no sense. Level design and enemy placement are not exactly light years ahead on PC games, where the input method is faster and more accurate than a Wiimote or analog controller.

Bsigg12

There is also absolutely no hope that anything meaningful will ever be made with Kinect.

There's far more hope. Having the system require the Kinect is the best thing Microsoft has done for Kinect. It allows developers to experiment with things and not have it as some dumb little things no one will ever use. They can take time to develop things that can be meaningful to the experience without shoehorning it in since every single Xbox One will have one.

Without the Eye, the light bar on the DS4 is pretty much useless. Sure there are little light singles but what good does that do? The E3 tech demos of the PSeye and the DS4 showed some really awesome features that Sony has hamstrung now by not including it.

Honestly, I was really excited for the PSeye until they decided not to include it. It'll just be an afterthought to developers now as they all aim to use PSVita controls instead of an interesting use of the Eye.

Freki

Exactly right. We as "hardcore gamers" often fail to think outside the box and fear change of any kind. As an example, we shouldn't be playing shooters with a controller anymore. We should be playing them with devices like evolved versions of move and wiimote on consoles. But closed minded-ness keeps us where we are. And as a result, level designs (especially on the vertical plane) and other thinfs like enemy placement will remain stagnant for yet another generation.

YEAH - stupid "hardcore gamers" not willing to blindly spend 100$ on something that *might* work... smh

How about Game Developers show compelling "experiences" first and if gamers like what they are shown then gamers spend 100$ for it...

Good. I literally NEVER used my PS Eye after Eye of Judgment's servers closed down, and I'm not paying $100 extra for a peripheral I will have no use for.

This pretty much condemns the peripheral to the same fate stuff like the HD-DVD player and Kinect had last gen. Not sure if it will be worth it in the long run, but so far it looks like the 'sacrifice' is paying off.

Excellent decision.

I'm obviously missing something here, but couldn't they still use the LED lights in the controller for things like blinking red on low health anyway? I can't see how that depends on the camera being present.

joeblow

Reading through various forums, there is one thing many PS and XBox gamers have agreed on: it's better to make a console's camera optional instead of mandatory.

I want the new PS Camera to succeed, but not at the cost of raising prices and forcing it on those who don't want it. Many XBox fans have expressed that they too wished that there was a Kinect-less XBone.

Top Bottom