• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to ready to buy take two (if you believe a recent report)

//DEVIL//

So explain to me how was Nvidia going to buy Arm? With Monoply money because Nvidia ain't got 40-50 billion sitting in a bank.
Some proper dumb responses. I wonder how Disney bought Fox?

Nvidia is worth more than 550 Billion $... Sony isn't worth 110B.

I am not going to go into the argument between you and the other dude. but Sony isn't buying shit that costs close to quarter of how much its worth as a whole company.

Also. They better buy Square Enix / Capcom over Take Tards.

12Dannu123

People who believe that Sony can somehow acquire Take Two and make GTA exclusive is deluding themselves. The EU, CMA and FTC defined the high-performance market between 2 parties, Sony and Microsoft. Since Sony is the market leader in all regions mentioned, especially in the EU. A deal like this like will be dead in the water.

CLW

I heard it was Take 2 AND EA Lets see how ms does with ZERO sports titles

TRUST ME BRO!

Loxus

Nvidia is worth more than 550 Billion $... Sony isn't worth 110B.

I am not going to go into the argument between you and the other dude. but Sony isn't buying shit that costs close to quarter of how much its worth as a whole company.

Also. They better buy Square Enix / Capcom over Take Tards.
He's right though, NVidia doesn't have enough Cash to purchase ARM.
NVidia
OZXbaOy.jpg

NVidia was planning on using Shares to help with the purchase.
NVIDIA to Acquire Arm for $40 Billion, Creating World’s Premier Computing Company for the Age of AI
  • Consideration of $40 billion to be met through a combination of NVIDIA shares and cash
To think Sony can't do the same is just puzzling to me, especially since they had $44B in cash at one point.
45PbtYR.jpg

Not that Sony would acquire Take-Two, but it amazes me that no one fact checked to see if it's possible.

This person pretty much explain how Sony would go about acquiring Take-Two if it deemed fit to maintain Playstation's dominance.

Last edited:
Obviously not a credible rumor or source, but I've always thought T2 made the most sense for Sony. particularly but not limited to as a response to Microsoft buying ABK.

One it gives you leverage to maintain COD availability on PlayStation and real parity.

Second, PlayStation Studios could help take GTA and Red Dead to the next level when it comes to gameplay and PlayStation Productions could take it to the next level when it comes to transmedia.

Now you look into sports and cross-marketing with the NBA, MLB, PGA Tour, and you look at the availability of FIFA and cornering that market for the future. Maybe partner PGA Tour with Clap Hanz, which could only be an improvement given the poor marks on the game. Eventually, get back into Hockey, football, and Cricket. Maybe even roll Polyphony Digital into 2K Sports and bring back Nascar, F1, and WRC.
We haven't even discussed zynga for mobile and the ability to launch GTA6 and RDR3 on PC exclusively via a PS launcher giving them an opening into the PC market.

I think it would absolutely b
NVidia
OZXbaOy.jpg

NVIDIA to Acquire Arm for $40 Billion, Creating World’s Premier Computing Company for the Age of AI
  • Consideration of $40 billion to be met through a combination of NVIDIA shares and cash
To think Sony can't do the same is just puzzling to me, especially since they had $44B in cash at one point.
45PbtYR.jpg

Not that Sony would acquire Take-Two, but it amazes me that no one fact checked to see if it's possible.

This person pretty much explain how Sony would go about acquiring Take-Two if it deemed fit to maintain Playstation's dominance.

Or the only possible way is buy to create a merger put half down to stop it being yours and own 50% of take two pretty much the same with EA own 50%

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Are you on crack? Who mentioned MS couldn't afford Take 2? C'mon post it here?
Do you really think MS are going to be allowed to buy Take 2 after buying ABK? They are already struggling hard to get the deal done and you think just because MS have got cash they will waltz in and buy Take 2?
Sony can put a deal together to buy Take 2 easily.
I was talking outside the ABK acquisition, as a rhetoric point like you about take 2.

Whar makes you believe, that Sony are allowed to get take 2?
They are already leading, and getting take 2 would give them additional market leadership, making even more monopoly.

I mean, Sony could probably get away with it because they are Sony, but the same rules should apply to Sony as for Microsoft.

Kerotan

This would be HUGE. And hilarious if MS still has to have COD multiplatform to buy Activision but Sony can make GTA exclusive 😂.
If Sony bought T2 or Rockstar it would be to use GTA as leverage to ensure cod stays on PlayStation. Destiny is likely also bought as leverage.

Ar¢tos

Considering the lack of close relationship with take two, outside of marketing deals, I think it would be more likely for them to buy a Japanese company that they have worked closely with, like Capcom.
At same time, they probably feel no rush to buy in Japan because they know anything there is basically off limits to MS, so they might want to invest in the west.
What EU/US independent studio or small publisher has Sony worked with in the past? (can't be Sumo Digital, because Sumo belongs to Tencent).

//DEVIL//

NVidia
OZXbaOy.jpg

45PbtYR.jpg

- I didn't say he is wrong. I just said sony is not doing it lol
- that last Reddit post is not really a valid point as it's talking about controlling stake and not buying the whole company like Sony did with Bungie for example

It's funny to me because, even if this is an unsubstantiated rumor, it ties in to what I said in the ABK thread wherein folks wanted to put "Triggered" or "LoL" emojis.

Firstly it doesn't trigger me, I just simply said that if the powers that be allow a buyout that massive(including Bethesda which already happened), it'd start a bidding war for publishers.

Take Two is a big ticket, which is why I'm unsure Sony would be able to get it but nobody knows. However, there are other publishers in some financial turmoil at the moment that would be ripe for either one of them to go after next in Ubisoft and Square.

It's funny to me because, even if this is an unsubstantiated rumor, it ties in to what I said in the ABK thread wherein folks wanted to put "Triggered" or "LoL" emojis.

Firstly it doesn't trigger me, I just simply said that if the powers that be allow a buyout that massive(including Bethesda which already happened), it'd start a bidding war for publishers.

Take Two is a big ticket, which is why I'm unsure Sony would be able to get it but nobody knows. However, there are other publishers in some financial turmoil at the moment that would be ripe for either one of them to go after next in Ubisoft and Square.
Once theres a way there's a will I suppose 🤷 be unfair if they won't allow Sony to have take two but yet they allow Microsoft to have zenimax aswell as abk

Once theres a way there's a will I suppose 🤷 be unfair if they won't allow Sony to have take two but yet they allow Microsoft to have zenimax aswell as abk

That what I'm saying. I just think the whole buying of publishers and all their respective IPs sets a bad precedent for gaming as a whole.

If a big company can snatch up an entire(significant including CoD) group and the powers like the CMA/FTC just let it go through as-is(or at all) it kind of signifies they are just there for show.

Perception is reality and that's the perception they'll send to both Microsoft and Sony that in the end, itll be a little song and dance, but wont matter. It doesn't bode well for gamers in the long term.

Duchess

Well, sort of makes sense.

Back in the day, Sony bought Psygnosis.
Psygnosis used to publish a lot of games by DMA Design
DMA Design were bought by Rockstar Games, becoming Rockstar North
Rockstar Games is a subsidiary of Take Two

So, Sony is just bringing the family back together :)

(new Lemmings game, please!)

John Wick

NVidia
OZXbaOy.jpg

45PbtYR.jpg

Most people on here haven't got a clue. Most companies will take out a loan as they pay no tax on debt. They think you have to have the cash equivalent sat in a bank to do a purchase.

Flutta

My tears. Exclusive to gamepass. Forever.
Microsoft earns around 70 billion a year, Sony around 10.

Tell me again why Microsoft couldn't afford it?

Sony doesn't have 10 bill a year to buy. There's workers salary, production cost etc. on their hardware as consoles, TV etc.

Cutting that from both Microsoft and Sony, then Microsoft still has alot more money than sony.

Microsoft have already earned the money back for what they want to pay for Activision Blizzard.

How can Sony afford Take 2 just because Microsoft want to buy Activision Blizzard?

It's like saying the rich guy just bought a lamborghini, then he can't afford a ferrari which means I can just buy it.
Doesnt make sense.

Besides that, Activision Blizzard wants to be bought, Take 2 doesn't atm.
Microsoft didn't walk up to them and said we want to buy your company, sell it.

Hmmm…

When reading between the lines your post says it’s ok for MS to acquire ABK and not OK for Sony to acquire T2.

Morgan Freeman Laughing GIF

Last edited:

John Wick

I was talking outside the ABK acquisition, as a rhetoric point like you about take 2.

Whar makes you believe, that Sony are allowed to get take 2?
They are already leading, and getting take 2 would give them additional market leadership, making even more monopoly.

I mean, Sony could probably get away with it because they are Sony, but the same rules should apply to Sony as for Microsoft.
If MS buy ABK then the FTC etc don't have a leg to stand on to block Sony from buying Take 2.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hmmm…

When reading between the lines your post says it’s ok for MS to acquire ABK and not OK for Sony to acquire T2.

Morgan Freeman Laughing GIF
Maybe don't read between the lines and see ghosts?

I think both companies should be eligible to buy them if they wanted to.

RickMasters

Did I miss the part in the article that isn't speculation?
Who the fuck is this dude?

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:...everybody has a freind on the inside that knows something.... Honestly....just sounds like wishful fanboy circle jerking. besides.. can sony afford Take 2, if they were up for sale?...

can they outbid, MS, amazon, tencent, embracer or google who would all love to buy T2? I know sony are worth 106Bn but that does not equate to having 20Bn on hand, and if T2 went on sale their shareholders are going to want the highest price...especially of the back of MS over paying (the stock price) for ABK. ....

T2 dont need to sell them selll themselves but if they did I would imagine the shareholders will sell to the highest bidder and I doubt that would be sony.... and im guessing what applies to COD will apply to their three biggest franchises. GTA, read dead and NBA2k....they would still be multiplatfom, especially as GTA is the only other game as big as COD in the console space. so whoever buys them has to ensure those games stay multiformat as they always have done.

I dont see any CMA or the like telling another party they cant outbid sony should T2 ever go up for sale so I dont see a scenario where sony beats any of the bigger players to T2. I think they would be worth a lot more than the 20Bn they are currently valued at if their were for sale and abidding war of epic proportions would surely erupt....I doubt to the tune of 70Bn, But I could see them selling for twice what they are valued at especially if MS or tencent ever got a whiff of the idea that they were up for sale.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Maybe its possible if take two self-destruct like blizzard or something . No one that stupid buying a company at its height .

If gta 6 flops then maybe...

Last edited:

Loxus

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:...everybody has a freind on the inside that knows something.... Honestly....just sounds like wishful fanboy circle jerking. besides.. can sony afford Take 2, if they were up for sale?...

can they outbid, MS, amazon, tencent, embracer or google who would all love to buy T2? I know sony are worth 106Bn but that does not equate to having 20Bn on hand, and if T2 went on sale their shareholders are going to want the highest price...especially of the back of MS over paying (the stock price) for ABK. ....

T2 dont need to sell them selll themselves but if they did I would imagine the shareholders will sell to the highest bidder and I doubt that would be sony.... and im guessing what applies to COD will apply to their three biggest franchises. GTA, read dead and NBA2k....they would still be multiplatfom, especially as GTA is the only other game as big as COD in the console space. so whoever buys them has to ensure those games stay multiformat as they always have done.

I dont see any CMA or the like telling another party they cant outbid sony should T2 ever go up for sale so I dont see a scenario where sony beats any of the bigger players to T2. I think they would be worth a lot more than the 20Bn they are currently valued at if their were for sale and abidding war of epic proportions would surely erupt....I doubt to the tune of 70Bn, But I could see them selling for twice what they are valued at especially if MS or tencent ever got a whiff of the idea that they were up for sale.
Since this thread is still going, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Sony already acquired Take-Two and maybe waiting for GTA6 to announce this.

You may ask what made me come to this conclusion?
Well in 2019, it was heavily rumored that Sony was in the talks to acquire Take-Two. This rumor even caused Sony to make a comment, which doesn't normally happen on rumors.

In 2020, Sony's cash on hand rapidly increased by $16B compared to other years. Then in 2021, dipped by $24.8B in one quarter.
45VKGev.jpg

Date wise, this doesn't line up with any known investments or acquisitions.

0SOIpoR.jpg

A huge chunk of Sony's Marketable Securities is gone. Mostly likely lliquidated into cash and spent. Only something serious would make a Company do this.

Activision's Market Cap is currently at $62.264B and Microsoft is paying $68.7B to aquire them. That's a $6.4B increase from Market Cap.

Take-Two's current Market Cap is $19.684B and Sony just so happen to had a $24.8B decline in cash on hand. That's a $5.1B increase from Take-Two's Market Cap. Coincidence?, maybe.

I've been always thinking what really made Microsoft willing to spend nearly $70b to (Microsoft words) complete with Sony. That $70b price tag to potential make COD exclusive is too much to just complete with Sony. This now makes me believe this could a COD vs GTA cooperate battle.

What cause Sony's Marketable Securities decline that much? Could it have been devalued? I don't know but until then, this is just my fun little assumption looking at things from a different perspective and not to be taken seriously.

Chukhopops

Since this thread is still going, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Sony already acquired Take-Two and maybe waiting for GTA6 to announce this.

You may ask what made me come to this conclusion?
Well in 2019, it was heavily rumored that Sony was in the talks to acquire Take-Two. This rumor even caused Sony to make a comment, which doesn't normally happen on rumors.

In 2020, Sony's cash on hand rapidly increased by $16B compared to other years. Then in 2021, dipped by $24.8B in one quarter.
45VKGev.jpg

Date wise, this doesn't line up with any known investments or acquisitions.

0SOIpoR.jpg

A huge chunk of Sony's Marketable Securities is gone. Mostly likely lliquidated into cash and spent. Only something serious would make a Company do this.

Activision's Market Cap is currently at $62.264B and Microsoft is paying $68.7B to aquire them. That's a $6.4B increase from Market Cap.

Take-Two's current Market Cap is $19.684B and Sony just so happen to had a $24.8B decline in cash on hand. That's a $5.1B increase from Take-Two's Market Cap. Coincidence?, maybe.

I've been always thinking what really made Microsoft willing to spend nearly $70b to (Microsoft words) complete with Sony. That $70b price tag to potential make COD exclusive is too much to just complete with Sony. This now makes me believe this could a COD vs GTA cooperate battle.

What cause Sony's Marketable Securities decline that much? Could it have been devalued? I don't know but until then, this is just my fun little assumption looking at things from a different perspective and not to be taken seriously.
I don’t think you can buy a NASDAQ-listed company without telling anyone. IANAL but I’ve never seen it happen that way.

It would be hilarious if Sony was forced as part of the FTC discovery to reveal it has planned to buy T2 already.

I don’t think you can buy a NASDAQ-listed company without telling anyone. IANAL but I’ve never seen it happen that way.

It would be hilarious if Sony was forced as part of the FTC discovery to reveal it has planned to buy T2 already.

I don't think that would change anything to be honest. Even if Sony went through the process regulators would still look at it. And GTA would probably be a no go in their eyes.

I don't think that would change anything to be honest. Even if Sony went through the process regulators would still look at it. And GTA would probably be a no go in their eyes.
But can Sony retaliate by saying u let Microsoft have call of duty? Unless there's a line and they say they have to do similar to what Microsoft is doing and put it in consoles. Sony could literally pull the plug in GTA like Microsoft can pull the plug in call of duty and besides there already made big games exclusive to there own console like starfield and elder scrolls why Sony has to make GTA multiplat but doesn't stop them if they made like bully exclusive to playstation

But can Sony retaliate by saying u let Microsoft have call of duty? Unless there's a line and they say they have to do similar to what Microsoft is doing and put it in consoles. Sony could literally pull the plug in GTA like Microsoft can pull the plug in call of duty and besides there already made big games exclusive to there own console like starfield and elder scrolls why Sony has to make GTA multiplat but doesn't stop them if they made like bully exclusive to playstation

The CMA wants COD divested. I cam imagine if Sony bought Take 2 they would have to divest GTA as well. I don't see tur CMA giving Sony any favors especially since they are the market leader.

But the truth is Microsoft has far more capital than Sony so we probably never have to worry about Sony buying Take 2.

Top Bottom