• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to ready to buy take two (if you believe a recent report)

Topher

He's fantasy booking acquisitions and talking like WW3 is about to start.

When the deal goes through for MS - Sony don't need to respond with something like T2, let alone everything this guy is saying long-term.

Yeah, I agree with you. I was going to put something sarcastic but never finished my thought.

If you believe a recent "report"​

I Dont Believe You GIF by Judge Judy

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why couldn't Sony afford Take 2? MS if they eventually buy ABK have no chance of purchasing Take 2. So Sony could step in and buy them. I don't see Take 2 selling to Tencent.
Microsoft earns around 70 billion a year, Sony around 10.

Tell me again why Microsoft couldn't afford it?

Sony doesn't have 10 bill a year to buy. There's workers salary, production cost etc. on their hardware as consoles, TV etc.

Cutting that from both Microsoft and Sony, then Microsoft still has alot more money than sony.

Microsoft have already earned the money back for what they want to pay for Activision Blizzard.

How can Sony afford Take 2 just because Microsoft want to buy Activision Blizzard?

It's like saying the rich guy just bought a lamborghini, then he can't afford a ferrari which means I can just buy it.
Doesnt make sense.

Besides that, Activision Blizzard wants to be bought, Take 2 doesn't atm.
Microsoft didn't walk up to them and said we want to buy your company, sell it.

Last edited:

Loxus

1. Listing total assets for Microsoft doesn't show you they had over 200 billion in the back collecting interest.
2. You're forgetting sony are involved with many businesses. They aren't going to spend all their cash on hand to make a purchase. That would be epic levels of mismanagement. They had allocated X billions previously to make playstation related investments, but it was a much smaller amount of the total money they had available.\

overall the idea that sony would want to make a purchase that large is both silly, and unlikely. It wouldn't be approved by governing bodies just based on their current market position
Like I said, it's just speculation.

I checked other Companies and none of them lose $30b+ worth of Assets in one go.

Not to mention, Sony has no prior history of Assets declining that much in the pass 9 years. I mean, what the hell could Sony possibly be investing in that's worth that much? Unless it's an error.

Would Zelnick & co even do that with GTA 6 in the works and potential for major profits? You have to ask yourself would those cut throat money men really want to share profits with Sony?

The geezer spreading this info must be smoking skittles or something right?

Topher

Sony doesn't have 10 bill a year to buy.

About that....

Not that it matters since this is a bullshit rumor

Always amused that people think Sony is this poor company that cannot afford anything.

Sony generates about $10 billion income each year.
You're conflating buying vs being able to afford.

If Sony ever seriously tried to buy TakeTwo they'd be over leveraged even at market price. So it's doubtful they'd be able to pay any sort of premium to make it worth it.

I guarantee that Tencent or some big money Private Equity vulture would come swooping in and take all that sweet sweet IP for themselves via a hostile takeover.

Last edited:

skit_data

You might be onto something there, there was a leak recently in the Activision acquisition thread about “three sources” (just happens to be three for both) saying the European Commission won’t request MS divest COD. Might be a play on it.
This guy has been doing this for quite a while, I’ve seen tweets from him for at least half a year or so. At least I think he’s doing it ironically, or I rather I really hope he does because otherwise he’s doing it for attention which is quite sad.

Surprised this thread is still going, you only need a few minutes of looking through hos tweets to figure out he’s pretty much just throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks. Completely baseless.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's possible Sony could do this, but it would put them in a horrible position cash wise, it would basically wipe out thier 21 billion in cash. Not likely to happen.
sony is worth 100 billion. not saying it's a drop in the bucket like 69 billion is for MS but 21 billion doesn't even remove half of their market cap. the profit they'd make from GTA6 being exclusive to PS would get them that money back in less than 2 years

Last edited:
This guy has been doing this for quite a while, I’ve seen tweets from him for at least half a year or so. At least I think he’s doing it ironically, or I rather I really hope he does because otherwise he’s doing it for attention which is quite sad.

Surprised this thread is still going, you only need a few minutes of looking through hos tweets to figure out he’s pretty much just throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks. Completely baseless.

He's right, on this count at least. With Microsoft clearing EU regulators it's hard to see the FTC or the UK doing anything different. EU regulators are currently forcing Apple to change their entire roadmap and business models. They don't mess around.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

He's right, on this count at least. With Microsoft clearing EU regulators it's hard to see the FTC or the UK doing anything different. EU regulators are currently forcing Apple to change their entire roadmap and business models. They don't mess around.
That's the European Union regulator.

The UK regulator, the CMA, is the problem.

They seem dead set on blocking the merger.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Take Two would cost north of $25 billion.

That's far more than Sony is ever going to pay for a company.
Agreed.

It doesn't fit their style of acquisitions. Bungie was outside the norm, but, it fit in with their need for experienced GaaS machines. They normally target smaller as in developers they've had a long history, strengthening their WWS in key areas.

Not "brute force" buying.

Why doesn't Sony just buy Microsoft? On a serious note this copium is getting out of hand. No way is this deal realistic or believable.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
sony is worth 100 billion. not saying it's a drop in the bucket like 69 billion is for MS but 21 billion doesn't even remove half of their market cap. the profit they'd make from GTA6 being exclusive to PS would get them that money back in less than 2 years

This would use thier entire cash reserve, the 100 million isn't liquid captial.......

Thirty7ven

Sony make cringe trainers.
The only companies Sony should seriously consider are Capcom, SE, From Software and Ubisoft.

Throughout the next decade MS will corner the market for Sony, by taking away some big IP from PlayStation ecosystem and if they don’t go out there and start securing their ecosystem I fully expect thing to start getting difficult for them.

Last edited:
Even though I think Take Two would be a good get for Sony, I feel that money can be better spent on Capcom and From Software. The ultimate dream would be Sony acquiring Game Science. As the Black Myth: Wukong game really has a PlayStation feel to it.

But none of these are likely to happen. Capcom is strategically the best deal for Sony and the only option that is even remotely likely to happen imo.

Yet the most likely scenario is that Sony keeps building partnerships with smaller studios and after having proven themselves, Sony shuffles its own people around from their own first party studios in the effort of trying to create new studios.

This way the studios can stay creative, are maluable enough to adopt PlayStation's way of working as well as keeping their own employees from their own first party studios happy by providing them the chance to take on new roles and challenges with new projects and ideas. And all this happens with the fraction of the money and risk needed to buy Take Two. It also gives Sony strategic office placements around the globe and teaches original Sony employees new ways of thinking and creating. Basically combining the best skills of these smaller companies with Sony's own skillset. Which in turn will make the overall company more innovative and provides the company an open mindset for creating more efficient pipelines while broadening their network.

The only companies Sony should seriously consider are Capcom, SE, and Ubisoft.
About Ubisoft... that's such a messy company that there's not even a point in doing so. There's a reason even them want to sell at this point.
I hope Sony never considers that.

Capcom and SE? For sure. And if the Activision acquisition happens i'm sure we'll see something like that happening.

Jim has recently said they are interested in acquiring IPs...and that's something they never said before a few months ago. Everything they have acquired so far (besides Bungie) are companies that barely have any IPs. They have acquired mostly talent and studios that already worked for them, so for them sayign they are looking into acquiring IPs, their closest partners are always going to be the first choices. Square and Capcom are options.

About the OP. When are people ever going to learn that we never hear about theses acquisitions before happening? Activision came out of nowhere, same for Bungie and Bethesda. Same for Insomniac, etc...

T4keD0wN

So, now that we have a good confirmation that they wont buy Take-Two Interactive, who do you think Sony is likely to aquire next? (besides Square Enix, that has been discussed to death)

About Ubisoft... that's such a messy company that there's not even a point in doing so. There's a reason even them want to sell at this point.
I hope Sony never considers that.

Capcom and SE? For sure. And if the Activision acquisition happens i'm sure we'll see something like that happening.

Jim has recently said they are interested in acquiring IPs...and that's something they never said before a few months ago. Everything they have acquired so far (besides Bungie) are companies that barely have any IPs. They have acquired mostly talent and studios that already worked for them, so for them sayign they are looking into acquiring IPs, their closest partners are always going to be the first choices. Square and Capcom are options.

About the OP. When are people ever going to learn that we never hear about theses acquisitions before happening? Activision came out of nowhere, same for Bungie and Bethesda. Same for Insomniac, etc...

Square would be considerd, but it is such a bloated company...Though their IPs could be useful in feeding the Sony animes machine. I still maintain that Capcom would be better from a pure video games angle; The caveat being that the latter be interested in a buyer in the first place! The better strategy, imo, is for Sony to target Capcom provided that the aforementioned condition is met, and limit themselves to strategically investing in both the main FF team, and the FF MMO developers within Square. Although, in all fairness, an even better approach would consist of some heavy lobbying to prevent MS from picking up a major japanese publisher! The acquisitions that would make sense to me are as follows:
1. CD Project Red
2. A couple of newly formed WRPG studios.
3. Rocksteady
4. Remedy
5. Deviation Games
6. Arrowhead
7. Probably Monsters
8. Unseen Studios

Last edited:
They don't, they aren't going to get get billions in loans to make an acquisition of this size. use some business logic. If you don't have the money you don't make this purchase.

There would likely be buyers that would pay more anyway.

The fact this rumor is starting at this period in time where the CMA & EU are making their decisions make it suspect to start. Imo if Sony were trying, or even talking about a deal ( with a company they actually despise internally -- that's a different story...) this would come up in the data for the acquisition of Activision. It would strengthen Microsoft position, and put Sony under high scrutiny for business practices. Sony are far more likely to foreclose on availability of a multi-plat title after a purchase (Also, no I don't believe them when they say bungie can do what they like. I have no reason to believe that based on past track record and history of supporting multiple games. ).

I'm already seeing this picked up by so called "gaming media" websites and repeated like it has validity. Same website claims microsoft will sell off the xbox division if the activision deal doesn't go through. Talk about stupid....
When have Sony bought a multiplat IP and made it exclusive?

Microsoft, however, have and are.

The big litmus test was Bungie they’ve made very public gestures about them being independent and multiplat.

As per your comment about Sony and Take 2, I know people who work at both companies in the U.K. and they’ve never had a bad word to say about each other. On the contrary, working relations between the two are strong. Their CEOs are aligned in many, many ways.

SSfox

Not a big fan of this
5gqcbpU.jpg

But if MS end up buying Acti guess Sony will have to follow this "publisher buying" trend
a9I6gVD.jpg

Does Sony actually buy huge publishers? I definitely have my doubts about Sony buying Take Two for the obvious reasons. Guess we’ll see.

Nubulax

Sony can't afford 20 billion for Take2 & 20 billion is low price for Take2.
Rumor's will be rumor's.
I dont know why they couldnt.... using Take 2 as an example... they bought Xanga for for almost 13 billion dollars.....and take 2 market cap today is just south of 20 Billion....that was a massive purchase by them from my understanding although i could be wrong. i dont think they would/will though nor is take 2 prob looking to be sold. The ONLY... ONLY... reason ABK was even for sale, is because of horrendous mismanagement and horrible PR and the board bailed out to get their huge paydays from MS, it wasnt because they were in dire straights financially.

Last edited:

Eddie-Griffin

Cancer the womens baby so we can pregnant the panda, we are looking for igloos tonight Are you sexy?
The source of the rumour is dogshit. HOWEVER, I do think Sony is considering Take Two, IF, the ABK deal closes. As to why Sony would want this deal:
  • Become the top 3 mobile publisher when they merge mobile efforts with Zynga
  • Secure an IP that is as big as COD
  • T2 live-service and PC expertise
  • T2 has lots of IPs that would fit well with PlayStation Productions
Sony would have to pay $27B to get this deal done. Unlike MS, they would pay for T2 in a combination of stock, cash and debt.

Regulators would make Sony keep GTA multi-platform. T2 posted losses for the recent quarter because of a wide range of reasons, including a very expensive Zynga acquisition. In 2021 they were profitable and posted $900M in profit.

Take-Two has been in the news for money mismanagement constantly, including in 2021. It's not about what they take in, it's how the company is run.

John Wick

Microsoft earns around 70 billion a year, Sony around 10.

Tell me again why Microsoft couldn't afford it?

Sony doesn't have 10 bill a year to buy. There's workers salary, production cost etc. on their hardware as consoles, TV etc.

Cutting that from both Microsoft and Sony, then Microsoft still has alot more money than sony.

Microsoft have already earned the money back for what they want to pay for Activision Blizzard.

How can Sony afford Take 2 just because Microsoft want to buy Activision Blizzard?

It's like saying the rich guy just bought a lamborghini, then he can't afford a ferrari which means I can just buy it.
Doesnt make sense.

Besides that, Activision Blizzard wants to be bought, Take 2 doesn't atm.
Microsoft didn't walk up to them and said we want to buy your company, sell it.
Are you on crack? Who mentioned MS couldn't afford Take 2? C'mon post it here?
Do you really think MS are going to be allowed to buy Take 2 after buying ABK? They are already struggling hard to get the deal done and you think just because MS have got cash they will waltz in and buy Take 2?
Sony can put a deal together to buy Take 2 easily.

Top Bottom