• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to ready to buy take two (if you believe a recent report)

Three

I mean, I don't think we are debating whether or not take two is willing to sell. Sure you could change the point of conversation to that, but I'm I don't pretend to know one way or another.

I'm also not backing him and his point, I'm clearly pointing out your retort did not make any sense in context to his statement. But again, keep on going and doubling down. I'm sure you could figure out a way to retroactively change your mistake instead of just saying, "my bad, I misread it".
You're debating the interpretation of these two lines

"Besides that, Activision Blizzard wants to be bought, Take 2 doesn't atm.
Microsoft didn't walk up to them and said we want to buy your company, sell it."

And seem to have an issue with the fact that I said, "Yes they did". You don't seem to have an issue with HeisenbergFX4 saying the same thing about The_Mike not knowing how this works either. Just me for some reason. Maybe it's you who should just accept that you read it in a completely different way and you're going off on a ridiculous argument about a "resident acquisition expert", but that would be asking too much of you.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

You're debating the interpretation of these two lines

"Besides that, Activision Blizzard wants to be bought, Take 2 doesn't atm.
Microsoft didn't walk up to them and said we want to buy your company, sell it."

And seem to have an issue with the fact that I said, "Yes they did". You don't seem to have an issue with HeisenbergFX4 saying the same thing about The_Mike not knowing how this works either. Just me for some reason. Maybe it's you who should just accept that you read it in a completely different way and you're going off on a ridiculous argument about a "resident acquisition expert", but that would be asking too much of you.
It isn't me reading it in a "different" way. I'm using context clues to infer his correct meaning.

Your condensending comment "clearly' you don't know how these things work" to him, is ridiculous considering you completely missed his point, which was laid out in black and white, in front of your face.

Cash-in-hand, Sony only has $11 Billlion which took a 41% hit YoY as of December 2022, Take2 is worth $20 Billion and gaining. There's no chance that this is true unless Sony takes out a $9 Billion Loan.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has $99 Billion Cash-in-Hand even though they took a 20% decrease in 2022. If anyone was going to buy Take2 it would be Microsoft. But I doubt that would happen. Activision was in trouble and cheap compared to previous years. Microsoft sees that and wants to scoop them up.
Microsoft won't be buying anyone the size of take two when the acti-bliz deal goes through for a long time imo.

Why would T2 want to sell?

I can give you one reason...

Their stock was worth 210 a share in 2021 and its currently worth 118.

That's quite a dip, being able to recover some of that rather than wait for the stock price to go back up probably makes sense.
No it doesn't. Stocks go up and down. It's the way of finance. You don't just sell your company because your stock dips.

Microsoft won't be buying anyone the size of take two when the acti-bliz deal goes through for a long time imo.
Agreed. This will most likely be the last one in a long while. It's time for these Devs to produce fruit.

Last edited:

Three

It isn't me reading it in a "different" way. I'm using context clues to infer his correct meaning.

Your condensending comment "clearly' you don't know how these things work" to him, is ridiculous considering you completely missed his point, which was laid out in black and white, in front of your face.
You're the one saying my "context clues" are incorrect with a condescending use of "resident acquisition expert". It's clear to me and some others at least that the idea Take 2 doesn't want to sell ATM is a context clue that he thinks Activision went out looking to sell and Take2 haven't yet, and "Microsoft didn't walk up to them and said we want to buy your company, sell it" means exactly what it means. That he thinks MS didn't approach Activison. He thinks Activison approached MS as a seller and not MS proposing the deal. You can interpret it however you like though but drop the bullshit with the condescending "resident acquisition expert" and "smartest person in the room".

Last edited:
No it doesn't. Stocks go up and down. It's the way of finance. You don't just sell your company because your stock dips.

Agreed. This will most likely be the last one in a long while. It's time for these Devs to produce fruit.

They've lost half the value of their shares. Maybe you don't know what the point of being a shareholder is or why companies generally sell, but that's not delivering on the type of return you're looking for over time, where as selling allows you to reinvest that money and hopefully get better returns sooner.

You're the one saying my "context clues" are incorrect with a condescending use of "resident acquisition expert". It's clear to me and some others at least that the idea Take 2 doesn't want to sell ATM is a context clue that he thinks Activision went out looking to sell and Take2 haven't yet, and "Microsoft didn't walk up to them and said we want to buy your company, sell it" means exactly what it means. That he thinks MS didn't approach Activison. He thinks Activison approached MS as a seller and not MS proposing the deal. You can interpret whoever you like though but drop the bullshit with the condescending "resident acquisition expert" and "smartest person in the room".

Given that there were 4-5 bidders, it would make sense that Activision sought out buyers, unless you're suggesting that Microsoft was the first bidder and then Activision sought out additional offers, which is assuming quite a bit I think.

Three

Given that there were 4-5 bidders, it would make sense that Activision sought out buyers, unless you're suggesting that Microsoft was the first bidder and then Activision sought out additional offers, which is assuming quite a bit I think.
Yep, It's all in the SEC filing. MS proposed the offer, Activision received some more offers and looked to see if there is a higher bidder. Them paying 45% above market value at an enormous $70B there naturally weren't.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I doubt Sony would be willing to spend that much money to buy them or more importantly that Take-two would sell before massively pumping up their value by gta 6, but if there was ever a time for Sony to attempt to buy them, it would be right after MS sets the precedent that even bigger deals can get approved.

With that being said this is just a bs rumor, which doesnt mean it wont happen, but whoever has started it is clearly making this all up. Nobody out of the people who could possibly know this is stupid enough to risk spreading these rumours and risk being exposed when they can abuse them for insider trading instead.

But if we stopped making threads out of wishlist "articles" we would run out of content real soon.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

You're the one saying my "context clues" are incorrect with a condescending use of "resident acquisition expert". It's clear to me and some others at least that the idea Take 2 doesn't want to sell ATM is a context clue that he thinks Activision went out looking to sell and Take2 haven't yet, and "Microsoft didn't walk up to them and said we want to buy your company, sell it" means exactly what it means. That he thinks MS didn't approach Activison. He thinks Activison approached MS as a seller and not MS proposing the deal. You can interpret whoever you like though but drop the bullshit with the condescending "resident acquisition expert" and "smartest person in the room".
The_Mike The_Mike comment does not strictly infer (whether he meant it to or not) that Activision approached MS. What his comment infered was that Activision was, at minimum, willing to entertain a purchase proposition. Btw, I read the conversation in the filling and Activision asked for a preliminary estimated proposal and MS then provided one, so it's not like MS went to them with 69 billion and asked Activision's board if they wanted to sell.

Regardless, non of this matters. I don't want to get dragged into all these hypotheticals of who did what and why. My point was your "clearly, you don't know how these things work" was at minimum condensending, at worst high level douchebaggery as you (in all honestly) don't know how these things work either.

Three

The_Mike The_Mike
Regardless, non of this matters. I don't want to get dragged into all these hypotheticals of who did what and why. My point was your "clearly, you don't know how these things work" was at minimum condensending, at worst high level douchebaggery as you (in all honestly) don't know how these things work either.
I don't want to get dragged into this debate either but your point was to participate in your own douchebaggery with your own unnecessary condescending posts. My point was that the buyer made the proposal and the buyer making a proposal for Take 2 would mean the board have to consider it on behalf of shareholders so I stand by my comment that he didn't know how this works.

MS having more capitol doesn't really have anything to do with Sony potentially buying Take 2 though.

That did sounded weird.

What I mean is that Sony probably can't afford to buy Take 2. I don't think its anything to worry about. However Microsoft can definitely afford them but the there's the issue with regulation.

In short I wouldn't worry about Microsoft or Sony buying Take 2 and making games like GTA exclusive for example.

MarkMe2525

I don't want to get dragged into this debate either but your point was to participate in your own douchebaggery with your own unnecessary condescending posts. My point was that the buyer made the proposal and the buyer making a proposal for Take 2 would mean the board have to consider it on behalf of shareholders so I stand by my comment that he didn't know how this works.
Well, there is a difference between your condensending attitude and mine. You were condescending while infering you had the expertise to establish someone's understanding of multibillion dollar acquisitions and mergers. I doubt your ability to make such distinctions.

I was being condensending while infering I had the expertise to establish if someone was being a douchebag or not. I absolutely have the ability to perform such a task being a douchebag myself.

Last edited:

Three

Well, there is a difference between your condensending attitude and mine. You were condescending while infering you had the expertise to establish someone's understanding of multimillion dollar acquisitions and mergers. I doubt your ability to make such distinctions.

I was being condensending while infering I had the expertise to establish if someone was being a douchebag or not. I absolutely have the ability to perform such a task being a douchebag myself.
And yet me questioning the expertise of The_Mike suggesting "Take 2 doesn't want to sell ATM" never crossed your mind when I'm the one doubting his knowledge of how it works? Where's the difference in being condescending to somebody who assumes they know how it works? Only you're allowed to do that with me I guess without even stating what was wrong for you to be a douchebag.

So his point was that Activision entertained a proposition? isn't that obvious? Any logical reason why Take 2 wouldn't and how does he know that? This is tiresome anyhow, maybe just stop being a douchebag too.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

And yet me questioning the expertise of The_Mike suggesting "Take 2 doesn't want to sell ATM" never crossed your mind when I'm the one doubting his knowledge of how it works? Where's the difference in being condescending to somebody who assumes they know how it works? Only you're allowed to do that with me I guess without even stating what was wrong for you to be a douchebag.

So his point was that Activision entertained a proposition? isn't that obvious? Any logical reason why Take 2 wouldn't and how does he know that? This is tiresome anyhow, maybe just stop being a douchebag too.
Dude, I don't care if he was right or not. I never stated if he was right or not. It's ok to not know. We will never know the truth, we will just know what they share with regulators, which is often a more sanitized version of the truth to ensure no backdoor wrongdoings come to light.

I poked fun at you for being an ass, not because I believe he was right or wrong.
I mean honestly, can't you go back and look at the initial exchange between you two and see how the "clearly, you don't know how this works" comment was a little unnecessary to get your point across?

This T2 acquisition will be another SE acquisition that is happening any day now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Activision was in trouble and cheap compared to previous years.
Yeah, ABK was a really one of lifetime chance essentially. Otherwise the biggest game publisher with huge revenue margins would never sell.

Loxus

I don’t think you can buy a NASDAQ-listed company without telling anyone. IANAL but I’ve never seen it happen that way.

It would be hilarious if Sony was forced as part of the FTC discovery to reveal it has planned to buy T2 already.
It could be a Playstation Showcase type of announcement if that was the cast or keeping it hidden to improve the chances of Microsoft Activision deal getting blocked.

True, Microsoft could of gotten a tip off from someone in the FTC about Sony's Take-Two deal, which Microsoft is asking for Sony's exclusive deals documents dating back to 2019 to be exact. The year where we first heard of the Sony acquiring Take-Two rumors.

Not only that, why would this guy use Take-Two out of all the Publishers if it wasn't partly true. If he was really looking to be believable, he should of gone with Square Enix. I wonder if he cares about his credibility.

Last edited:
He's right though, NVidia doesn't have enough Cash to purchase ARM.
NVidia
OZXbaOy.jpg

NVidia was planning on using Shares to help with the purchase.
NVIDIA to Acquire Arm for $40 Billion, Creating World’s Premier Computing Company for the Age of AI
  • Consideration of $40 billion to be met through a combination of NVIDIA shares and cash
To think Sony can't do the same is just puzzling to me, especially since they had $44B in cash at one point.
45PbtYR.jpg

Not that Sony would acquire Take-Two, but it amazes me that no one fact checked to see if it's possible.

This person pretty much explain how Sony would go about acquiring Take-Two if it deemed fit to maintain Playstation's dominance.

Sony will sell some shares to Tencent for them to afford Take Two acquisition? That's what you're saying?

Last edited:

RickMasters

That goes to size and scope. You said it yourself that Bungie was a different situation. T2 would also be a different situation.

It's really important to look at precedent where possible, but also important to understand where precedent no longer applies.

If you're Sony and you recognize that your larger 3rd party publisher is potentially going to be purchased AND there were several other bidders. You must recognize as well that T2 could potentially be purchased by someone as well and so could EA.

Recognizing this, it makes sense to position yourself for the future. T2 checks A LOT of boxes for Sony and we have no idea if Sony has ever helped with optimization for any T2 games, they almost certainly have as they do this with most publishers. That's not the same as co-development, but given their market relationship, I think Sony sees the value in T2 and they can certainly afford them (they can't afford to lose them).
Recongnizing it and being able to do something about it are two different things. There are larger players than sony...All with bigger bank balances. if/when T2 goes up for sale it will be a bidding war. There investors and shareholders are gonna love it though... the spoils of 'war' go the Highest bidder. None of the big three can afford to lose support from any of the big publishers but they are bing bought up anyway by the like of tencent and others. I could see amazon putting in a bid too...

RickMasters

If anything I can see Sony acquiring Square Enix, and honestly I think it's a matter of time
Im suprised they havent already. but given that they sold their stake in square years ago and still get everything square makes..in some cases exscluvily, and their is no danger of a western company aquiring them..... They dont even need to rush out to buy square. but I agree it will happen sooner or later..... No way I see them getting T2 over the high rollers though. infact I think T2 will sell for a lot more than what they are valued at, so they will be priced out of that biddng war, the moment that price start going north. Tencent, embracer, amazon, and of course MS would easily pay over the stock to get their hands on the revenue GTA makes. Its when they start bidding among themselves that we will see some head spinning numbers, and it will get silly. but as Ive said in another post..their investors and shareholders will love it! :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:

And lets not forget...That NBA licence they have for their 2K games will be a bonus for anybody that buys T2I

Three

Dude, I don't care if he was right or not. I never stated if he was right or not.

I poked fun at you for being an ass, not because I believe he was right or wrong.
I mean honestly, can't you go back and look at the initial exchange between you two and see how the "clearly, you don't know how this works" comment was a little unnecessary to get your point across?
Him pulling the idea that T2 don't want to sell atm is obviously relevant to me saying he doesn't know how it works. It wasn’t even that condescending but admittedly wasn’t pleasant either. If it caused offense then apologies to The_Mike.

What's your excuse for being a bigger ass than me though? Just tell me not to be a prick if what he said wasn't important and it was just my tone you have a problem with. It would have been a lot easier than arguing about what his sentences mean and me being "an acquisition expert" who lacks reading comprehension to understand, sarcastically being "the smartest person in the room".

Seemed like the content of what he said was important to you and you were arguing over it, not just my tone. Your own even worse condescending tone didn't help make a point about trying to be better either. It's water under the bridge though and no hard feelings towards The_Mike.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Since this thread is still going, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Sony already acquired Take-Two and maybe waiting for GTA6 to announce this.

You may ask what made me come to this conclusion?
Well in 2019, it was heavily rumored that Sony was in the talks to acquire Take-Two. This rumor even caused Sony to make a comment, which doesn't normally happen on rumors.

In 2020, Sony's cash on hand rapidly increased by $16B compared to other years. Then in 2021, dipped by $24.8B in one quarter.
45VKGev.jpg

Date wise, this doesn't line up with any known investments or acquisitions.

0SOIpoR.jpg

A huge chunk of Sony's Marketable Securities is gone. Mostly likely lliquidated into cash and spent. Only something serious would make a Company do this.

Activision's Market Cap is currently at $62.264B and Microsoft is paying $68.7B to aquire them. That's a $6.4B increase from Market Cap.

Take-Two's current Market Cap is $19.684B and Sony just so happen to had a $24.8B decline in cash on hand. That's a $5.1B increase from Take-Two's Market Cap. Coincidence?, maybe.

I've been always thinking what really made Microsoft willing to spend nearly $70b to (Microsoft words) complete with Sony. That $70b price tag to potential make COD exclusive is too much to just complete with Sony. This now makes me believe this could a COD vs GTA cooperate battle.

What cause Sony's Marketable Securities decline that much? Could it have been devalued? I don't know but until then, this is just my fun little assumption looking at things from a different perspective and not to be taken seriously.
I hear ya...but to be fair we dont know what they have spent that money on. may not be game related at all. or could just be multiple spends...they did aquire some other studios in the last 12 months, including bungie. so thet would leave them pretty short to buy something the size of T2I. but we know you cant make a an aquisition in silence or secret, so that shoots that theory down, already.

As for ABKs increase in market cap, isnt that from MS over paying for ABK? I beleive that would be the case for anybody who buys T2I, but again you cant buy a company in silence. its a purchase we would know about already. but given how profitable T2 are they probably dont need to sell so all this may just be heresay and fan flaming

I dont think MS are buying ABK so much to compete with sony as for the gain in revenue, that comes form owning ABK and just letting them run like they do at the moment, albeit with COD on GP. I would consider it a competitive move if they were making COD exclusive, which they are not... Its an expansive move for gamepass that also happens to bring them profit on other platforms much like minecraft.

all in all...I dont see T2I going up for sale as they dont need to be aquired. they are making their money hand over fist, easy. but IF they were...it will be a bidding war. At the end of the day the people that run T2 will want to sell for the most money they can get. that already puts sony out of the runnings. I just dont see a scenario where the shareholders wouldnt want to put it for bid and get more than the 20Bn they are valued at. because we all know they would get more than 20Bn for T2...just off GTA, read dead and the NBA2K franchises alone. and of course the bioshock IP.... If I was head of amazon, tencent, MS or one them I know I would pay more than the asking price, especially when I know I can more than afford and espcially if I know I can outbid my rivals on something that would benefit my company . What GTA and NBA 2K makes on MTX alone would surely make it worthwhile. There is a lot to gain there which is why I think they would fetch a lot more than even 25Bn, and I have no doubt that the shareholders over at T2 are aware of that too. no way they would sell for less than 30Bn and they dont even need to sell anyway. their business is strong and highly profitable for them. It would take a serious amount of money to make them sell. But I think twice their value would get them to budge. And I think they could get that. I think some of those names would buy the GTA and just the rockstar teams alone for 30Bn... so 40 for seems reasonable when you factor in the rest of the 2K owned IP. but GTA is no doubt the big one there. They could get a lot more than 25Bn if they went up for sale right now. And I only see three companies who could realistically afford it.

SHA

So the deal with Microsoft is successful, no comment, at least he stopped crying and started listening.

MarkMe2525

Him pulling the idea that T2 don't want to sell atm is obviously relevant to me saying he doesn't know how it works. It wasn’t even that condescending but admittedly wasn’t pleasant either. If it caused offense then apologies to The_Mike.

What's your excuse for being a bigger ass than me though? Just tell me not to be a prick if what he said wasn't important and it was just my tone you have a problem with. It would have been a lot easier than arguing about what his sentences mean and me being "an acquisition expert" who lacks reading comprehension to understand, sarcastically being "the smartest person in the room".

Seemed like the content of what he said was important to you and you were arguing over it, not just my tone. Your own even worse condescending tone didn't help make a point about trying to be better either. It's water under the bridge though and no hard feelings towards The_Mike.
Why was I being a bigger ass? Clearly, you don't know how this stuff works.

Baki

I doubt Sony would be willing to spend that much money to buy them or more importantly that Take-two would sell before massively pumping up their value by gta 6, but if there was ever a time for Sony to attempt to buy them, it would be right after MS sets the precedent that even bigger deals can get approved.

With that being said this is just a bs rumor, which doesnt mean it wont happen, but whoever has started it is clearly making this all up. Nobody out of the people who could possibly know this is stupid enough to risk spreading these rumours and risk being exposed when they can abuse them for insider trading instead.

But if we stopped making threads out of wishlist "articles" we would run out of content real soon.

Their current stock price reflects the value of an anticipated GTA 6 release. I think Take Two would be willing to sell if it looks like regulators would approve the deal and the offer is substantially higher than their current stock price. Whether Sony would be willing to buy Take Two, that's a different question. They can certainly afford Take Two, but it would be an expensive deal for Sony and they need to decide if it's a deal that they need to do. This all depends on how regulators rule on ABK. I think if ABK goes through with a 10 year COD deal, Sony will seriously consider buying Take Two.

If Sony does the deal with Take Two, here is how PlayStation finances changes:
  • Current PlayStation (FY22) Revenue: $27B
  • Current PlayStation (FY22) Profit: $1.79B
  • Current T2 Revenue (FY23): $5.2B
  • Current T2 Profit (FY23): $400M
Profit+Revenue if PlayStation acquires T2:
  • PlayStation + T2 Revenue: $32.2B (19% increase)
  • PlayStation + T2 Profit: $2.19B (22% increase)
That's a pretty good increase in revenue and profit. You also have to consider that both Sony and T2 had an expensive year due to their acquisitions (Zynga for $12.7B & Bungie for $3.7B) and so those profit numbers are depressed.

I've taken a look at T2+Zynga developer headcount and the combined entity would bring 9K new devs to Sony. I think PS Studios + Bungie is 5K employees. This would triple PS Studios headcount to 14K employees. Only 1K more than ABK.

Last edited:

Loxus

I hear ya...but to be fair we dont know what they have spent that money on. may not be game related at all. or could just be multiple spends...they did aquire some other studios in the last 12 months, including bungie. so thet would leave them pretty short to buy something the size of T2I. but we know you cant make a an aquisition in silence or secret, so that shoots that theory down, already.

As for ABKs increase in market cap, isnt that from MS over paying for ABK? I beleive that would be the case for anybody who buys T2I, but again you cant buy a company in silence. its a purchase we would know about already. but given how profitable T2 are they probably dont need to sell so all this may just be heresay and fan flaming

I dont think MS are buying ABK so much to compete with sony as for the gain in revenue, that comes form owning ABK and just letting them run like they do at the moment, albeit with COD on GP. I would consider it a competitive move if they were making COD exclusive, which they are not... Its an expansive move for gamepass that also happens to bring them profit on other platforms much like minecraft.

all in all...I dont see T2I going up for sale as they dont need to be aquired. they are making their money hand over fist, easy. but IF they were...it will be a bidding war. At the end of the day the people that run T2 will want to sell for the most money they can get. that already puts sony out of the runnings. I just dont see a scenario where the shareholders wouldnt want to put it for bid and get more than the 20Bn they are valued at. because we all know they would get more than 20Bn for T2...just off GTA, read dead and the NBA2K franchises alone. and of course the bioshock IP.... If I was head of amazon, tencent, MS or one them I know I would pay more than the asking price, especially when I know I can more than afford and espcially if I know I can outbid my rivals on something that would benefit my company . What GTA and NBA 2K makes on MTX alone would surely make it worthwhile. There is a lot to gain there which is why I think they would fetch a lot more than even 25Bn, and I have no doubt that the shareholders over at T2 are aware of that too. no way they would sell for less than 30Bn and they dont even need to sell anyway. their business is strong and highly profitable for them. It would take a serious amount of money to make them sell. But I think twice their value would get them to budge. And I think they could get that. I think some of those names would buy the GTA and just the rockstar teams alone for 30Bn... so 40 for seems reasonable when you factor in the rest of the 2K owned IP. but GTA is no doubt the big one there. They could get a lot more than 25Bn if they went up for sale right now. And I only see three companies who could realistically afford it.
It was just my speculation on if Sony would acquire them, I don't think Sony would acquire Take-Two just to counter Microsoft Activision acquisition.

I would prefer them to work on rebooting these instead.
WdNs1ZN.jpg

Anyways, if you look in 2022 around where they would have acquired Bungie, you would see where the cash on hand declined.
zICQguy.jpg

All I know is they did some kind of investment. The only investment they talked about is acquisitions, so I would assume that where that $25B went.

If Take-Two buy cost is $35, I would assume they would have loan the rest, as their Total Liabilities when up by a bit in 2021 vs other years.
y5N9DeV.jpg

As for Microsoft Activision acquisition.
8nOIRI4.jpg

I would assume they where discussing the deal before 2022, so Activision's Market Cap could of been between $51.81 - $71.75B at the time the price was set.

When you look at Take-Two's Net Income in the pass years, I can't see how they can make $25B of their future games.
GHlRTX3.jpg

Activision isn't about making revenue either. It's gonna take years to turn Activision into a profit imo.
nZi2ocN.jpg

These acquisitions are about either bringing consumers into their ecosystem or to stop them from leaving.

Sorry about all the images, they help get my point across.

Last edited:
Recongnizing it and being able to do something about it are two different things. There are larger players than sony...All with bigger bank balances. if/when T2 goes up for sale it will be a bidding war. There investors and shareholders are gonna love it though... the spoils of 'war' go the Highest bidder. None of the big three can afford to lose support from any of the big publishers but they are bing bought up anyway by the like of tencent and others. I could see amazon putting in a bid too...

This continued narrative that Sony can't afford T2 has been thoroughly debunked.

T2 is also probably more valuable to Sony than to others, so it could likely outdo others on premium.

For ex

SIE goes to the Sony board to get permission to buy for 1.35 premium with the strategy that it can integrate into playstation studio and cross promotion, i.e. integrate MLB the show into 2K sports, bring in clap hanz to handle PGA Tour, and cross promote Sony and PlayStation with NBA, MLB, WWE, also transmedia with Red Dead and GTA, as well as mobile with Zynga.

No other company can say the same to their board.

Baki

This continued narrative that Sony can't afford T2 has been thoroughly debunked.

T2 is also probably more valuable to Sony than to others, so it could likely outdo others on premium.

For ex

SIE goes to the Sony board to get permission to buy for 1.35 premium with the strategy that it can integrate into playstation studio and cross promotion, i.e. integrate MLB the show into 2K sports, bring in clap hanz to handle PGA Tour, and cross promote Sony and PlayStation with NBA, MLB, WWE, also transmedia with Red Dead and GTA, as well as mobile with Zynga.

No other company can say the same to their board.

Exactly. With MS out of the picture, no one else has an incentive to overpay for T2. T2 is already overvalued considering the current stock market environment and the extremely rich 45X P/E ratio.

RickMasters

Exactly. With MS out of the picture, no one else has an incentive to overpay for T2. T2 is already overvalued considering the current stock market environment and the extremely rich 45X P/E ratio.
Really? you dont think the idea of GTA exclusive to their own gaming system would be tempting to amazon? or tencent for sheer revenue? I Think MS would over pay to beat sony to it. I think the others would bid because its a chanfce to own GTA. Either way, I dont see them settling on their stock value if they can get more, and honestly I dont think they care who buys it. These companies love money, not each other.

is better for sony to secure third party contracts like those in the early days (a deal for 3 games).

imagine acquiring a studio/publisher that is bonded to make several games for your direct competition...Defensive move.

sony is having the right approach buying smaller/new studios and supporting them to make their games. (they have the infrastructure to do so)

Unless....what Phil Spencer said is true....but who really takes what Phill says seriously anyway.

RickMasters

It's up to Bungie, not Sony.

Sony bought Bungie, not for their games, but for their expertise in online mp games (London Studio is creating Sony's version of "Destiny" and can use their knowledge, other Sony studios are creating online only games).
I think for the sake of not setting oneself up for dissapointment we should assume bungies next game will be PS exclusive, with aPC port for cross play....they will come up with a reason, they can explain away via PR for no xbox version..something like ... "we wanted to focus on one platform for the best results".... . Im saying that as somebody who plays on xbox. I dont expect much more from bungie in the future and am currently in the process of weaning myself off destiny in favour of something else (maybe Ill get into ESO, as MS owns that). would rather not throw too much more time or money at a company that may not even be supporting my platform of choice in 5 years time. And thats ok to be honest. its all business and its just games at the end of the day, as far as im concerned.

Long term I think we are gonna see more acquisitions and more aggressive tactics from both MS and sony. And it wont be just MS and sony making these purchases.....

Top Bottom