• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to ready to buy take two (if you believe a recent report)

aries_71

I hope it happens. Really. It would be the only way to guarantee Take2 titles on other platforms, forced as a regulatory concession. Otherwise, Sony will just buy the exclusivity and frakk the rest.

Considering the lack of close relationship with take two, outside of marketing deals, I think it would be more likely for them to buy a Japanese company that they have worked closely with, like Capcom.
At same time, they probably feel no rush to buy in Japan because they know anything there is basically off limits to MS, so they might want to invest in the west.
What EU/US independent studio or small publisher has Sony worked with in the past? (can't be Sumo Digital, because Sumo belongs to Tencent).

It's always interesting when people create their own fan fiction. Sony and T2 don't have a close relationship? Since when? What are you defining as a close relationship?

Ar¢tos

It's always interesting when people create their own fan fiction. Sony and T2 don't have a close relationship? Since when? What are you defining as a close relationship?
Co-development of games, like they have done with every studio they have bought, except Bungie, but Bungie acquisition contract is different, they are basically independent compared to the other Sony studios.

Ar¢tos

For destiny 2 but I’d wager their next game won’t be on Xbox. They will have “independently “ decided to put on PlayStation only.
It's up to Bungie, not Sony.
Bungie confirmed that it will be run as "an independent subsidiary" of SIE and will remain a multiplatform studio with the option to "self-publish and reach players where they choose to play."

Sony bought Bungie, not for their games, but for their expertise in online mp games (London Studio is creating Sony's version of "Destiny" and can use their knowledge, other Sony studios are creating online only games).

Co-development of games, like they have done with every studio they have bought, except Bungie, but Bungie acquisition contract is different, they are basically independent compared to the other Sony studios.

That goes to size and scope. You said it yourself that Bungie was a different situation. T2 would also be a different situation.

It's really important to look at precedent where possible, but also important to understand where precedent no longer applies.

If you're Sony and you recognize that your larger 3rd party publisher is potentially going to be purchased AND there were several other bidders. You must recognize as well that T2 could potentially be purchased by someone as well and so could EA.

Recognizing this, it makes sense to position yourself for the future. T2 checks A LOT of boxes for Sony and we have no idea if Sony has ever helped with optimization for any T2 games, they almost certainly have as they do this with most publishers. That's not the same as co-development, but given their market relationship, I think Sony sees the value in T2 and they can certainly afford them (they can't afford to lose them).

Another reason for their games not to be exclusive, since Sony doesn't have MS deep pockets. They need to sell Bungie games on every platform possible to start earning the money back, they can't afford a "Bethesda" move.

Bungie being independent of PlayStation Studios was largely to a) pacify regulators, b) get buy-in from the Bungie board and employees rather than because they needed them to be multiplatform due to costs.

By that argument, Naughty Dog should make Xbox games, the same with Spider-Man.

JackMcGunns

The narrative will change quickly and I'll be grabbing popcorn just to read the mental gymnastics on how this would be different to the ABK acquisition lol.

Ar¢tos

Bungie being independent of PlayStation Studios was largely to a) pacify regulators, b) get buy-in from the Bungie board and employees rather than because they needed them to be multiplatform due to costs.

By that argument, Naughty Dog should make Xbox games, the same with Spider-Man.
ND was MUCH smaller when it was bought and that investment has been paid off already. For Spider-Man... ask Marvel. AFAIK Sony Pictures has exclusive rights for Spider-Man movies, but SIE has no rights over Spider-Man games, so ask marvel for details of the per game licensing deal.

That goes to size and scope. You said it yourself that Bungie was a different situation. T2 would also be a different situation.

It's really important to look at precedent where possible, but also important to understand where precedent no longer applies.

If you're Sony and you recognize that your larger 3rd party publisher is potentially going to be purchased AND there were several other bidders. You must recognize as well that T2 could potentially be purchased by someone as well and so could EA.

Recognizing this, it makes sense to position yourself for the future. T2 checks A LOT of boxes for Sony and we have no idea if Sony has ever helped with optimization for any T2 games, they almost certainly have as they do this with most publishers. That's not the same as co-development, but given their market relationship, I think Sony sees the value in T2 and they can certainly afford them (they can't afford to lose them).
No regulator would approve MS buying Take Two after they acquire Activision.

oh. they can afford it. is just that they overpaid for an overrated studio .

ND was MUCH smaller when it was bought and that investment has been paid off already. For Spider-Man... ask Marvel. AFAIK Sony Pictures has exclusive rights for Spider-Man movies, but SIE has no rights over Spider-Man games, so ask marvel for details of the per game licensing deal.

No regulator would approve MS buying Take Two after they acquire Activision.

Doesn't matter how much they cost when they were bought. It's a much bigger studio now and it has high operating costs. Why keep them exclusive to PS5 and PC?

Spider-Man is also a very expensive IP and Sony isn't getting 100% of the revenue from the game. Does it not make sense to make it multiplatform given the cost to develop and the smaller margin?

Never said Microsoft could buy T2 after Activision, I said there are other buyers out there that could.

Ar¢tos

Doesn't matter how much they cost when they were bought. It's a much bigger studio now and it has high operating costs. Why keep them exclusive to PS5 and PC?

Spider-Man is also a very expensive IP and Sony isn't getting 100% of the revenue from the game. Does it not make sense to make it multiplatform given the cost to develop and the smaller margin?

Never said Microsoft could buy T2 after Activision, I said there are other buyers out there that could.
That would be fine, since all the other potential buyers aren't platform holders, so the games would still be released on all possible platforms.

PlayStation has 70% of the market share.

That would be fine, since all the other potential buyers aren't platform holders, so the games would still be released on all possible platforms.

Says you.

They aren't platform holders YET.

Amazon actually is a platform holder, just not a console platform holder.

Apple could have been a bidder and they could come out with their own console with T2 games as exclusives. What's stopping them? You buy T2 and maybe a couple other studios and all of a sudden you're in business.

MarkMe2525

Just look at the SEC filing. That's more credible than your "resident acquisition expert" The_Mike saying the opposite here.
Jeez man, you completely missed his point. If you read the sentence immediately preceding the one you responded to, and used context clues, then you surely would have realized that he was stating that MS did not force Activision to sell. You got so excited to correct someone and be condescending, that you completely missed the forrest through the trees.

His point, as he clearly laid out, was that Take Two has to be willing to sell. Your retort to The_Mike The_Mike , was completely off the mark and unnecessary.

Cash-in-hand, Sony only has $11 Billlion which took a 41% hit YoY as of December 2022, Take2 is worth $20 Billion and gaining. There's no chance that this is true unless Sony takes out a $9 Billion Loan.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has $99 Billion Cash-in-Hand even though they took a 20% decrease in 2022. If anyone was going to buy Take2 it would be Microsoft. But I doubt that would happen. Activision was in trouble and cheap compared to previous years. Microsoft sees that and wants to scoop them up.

Last edited:
If sony really needed a publisher or big studio, then square enix or, and I know people will hate this, from software is best options. Sony have always been close with both square enix and from software. Who would really be shocked if either happened? Especially if Microsoft get a favourable result with their attempted acquisition of Activision.

Last edited:
Would you kindly share a link with a platform breakdown, if available?
Sure, it's the same page where Microsoft reports all of their numbers, such as the number of GP subscribers, consoles, and software they sell.

pgeGeuQ.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sure, it's the same page where Microsoft reports all of their numbers, such as the number of GP subscribers, consoles, and software they sell.

pgeGeuQ.jpg

Nice strawman.

Please post a source if you're gonna make bogus claims again, thanks. (y)

Ar¢tos

Says you.

They aren't platform holders YET.

Amazon actually is a platform holder, just not a console platform holder.

Apple could have been a bidder and they could come out with their own console with T2 games as exclusives. What's stopping them? You buy T2 and maybe a couple other studios and all of a sudden you're in business.
That's not realistic to think.
It's a very competitive market, and takes years and tons of money In R&D to create a console to rival Playstation/Xbox. There are also limited manufacturers of chips and a newcomer would struggle with getting the amounts required and with pricing, making their console even more expensive. Also developers would prioritize their games for the brands already known since those have guaranteed sales.

That's not realistic to think.
It's a very competitive market, and takes years and tons of money In R&D to create a console to rival Playstation/Xbox. There are also limited manufacturers of chips and a newcomer would struggle with getting the amounts required and with pricing, making their console even more expensive. Also developers would prioritize their games for the brands already known since those have guaranteed sales.

That might have been the case back in the day, but right now Apple is ideally suited to come out with their own console. They create their own silicon.

The Apple TV 4K is basically already a console.

All they need to do is buy a few developers, focus on 1st party while making deals with as many 3rd parties as they can, who will be entirely willing to do so to drive down the costs of PS and Xbox royalties.

Three

Jeez man, you completely missed his point. If you read the sentence immediately preceding the one you responded to, and used context clues, then you surely would have realized that he was stating that MS did not force Activision to sell. You got so excited to correct someone and be condescending, that you completely missed the forrest through the trees.

His point, as he clearly laid out, was that Take Two has to be willing to sell. Your retort to The_Mike The_Mike , was completely off the mark and unnecessary.
You're the one who's missing the woods for the trees. He said Activison wants to be bought Take 2 doesn't. Then said "Microsoft didn't walk up to them and said we want to buy your company, sell it."

They did that. He seems to think that Activision went out looking for a buyer when the SEC filing shows MS called and offered to buy them. If somebody wants to buy Take 2 the board would have to consider it and have a shareholder vote. He doesn't have a clue whether Take2 doesn't want to sell but it's obvious why that "resident acquisition expert" spreading bullshit you don't have a problem with.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
is not bogus. is just common sense. more people play Destiny on the market leader console 80/20, 70/30, 96/4 as simple as that.

More and 'vast majority' are not the same things, more is also popular games like Elden Ring which has 9~% different in sales between the platforms in reported regions like UK. Vast Majority is basically any game sale in Japan on the platforms, but I doubt Destiny's total lifetime sales were much higher than 1% in Japan.

Why would T2 want to sell?

I can give you one reason...

Their stock was worth 210 a share in 2021 and its currently worth 118.

That's quite a dip, being able to recover some of that rather than wait for the stock price to go back up probably makes sense.

MarkMe2525

You're the one who's missing the woods for the trees. He said Activison wants to be bought Take 2 doesn't. Then said "Microsoft didn't walk up to them and said we want to buy your company, sell it."

They did that. He seems to think that Activision went out looking for a buyer when the SEC filing shows MS called and offered to buy them. If somebody wants to buy Take 2 the board would have to consider it and have a shareholder vote. He doesn't have a clue whether Take2 doesn't want to sell but it's obvious why that "resident acquisition expert" spreading bullshit you don't have a problem with.
I know exactly what it said, use your reading comprehension skills. I'll spell it out for you.

When The_Mike The_Mike made the statement "we want to buy your company, sell it". It was implying a situation were the deal was forced by MS. The_Mike The_Mike was stating that this was not how it happened. Which he is correct. How do I know this? I use context clues from the sentence that literally precedes it.

Again, you did not comprehend what he was saying and your retort to his statement missed the point and was unnecessary. But please keep going, you are obviously the smartest person in the room.

MarkMe2525

Why would T2 want to sell?

I can give you one reason...

Their stock was worth 210 a share in 2021 and its currently worth 118.

That's quite a dip, being able to recover some of that rather than wait for the stock price to go back up probably makes sense.
??? What are you going on about? I never made the claim one way or the other, I was pointing out to T Three that he misinterpreted the other guys point, and then clarified said point.

The Alien

Calling bullshit. Even if real, they'd never be the only/highest bidder.

Also, be interesting what regulators qoukd say for the definitive market leader now controlling some of history's best selling franchise.

Three

I know exactly what it said, use your reading comprehension skills. I'll spell it out for you.

When The_Mike The_Mike made the statement "we want to buy your company, sell it". It was implying a situation were the deal was forced by MS. The_Mike The_Mike was stating that this was not how it happened. Which he is correct. How do I know this? I use context clues from the sentence that literally precedes it.

Again, you did not comprehend what he was saying and your retort to his statement missed the point and was unnecessary. But please keep going, you are obviously the smartest person in the room.
If you like interpreting things that aren't there then great. You forgot the part where he said Take 2 "doesn't want to sell" implying he thinks that Activison went after a buyer. He doesn't have a clue whether Take 2 doesn’t want to sell. If somebody "walked up to them" with an offer 45% above market value the board of the publicly traded company would have to consider just like Activision did when MS "walked up to them and said we want to buy your company".

He thinks Activison went out looking for a buyer and Take 2 hasn't. If you want to read that as MS forcing something then more power to you.

Last edited:

Foilz

Why would take two want to be owned by Sony? take two isn't a dev studio/publisher liker others. They will sit on 1 game for 5+ yrs of development time release it then hibernate for another 5 yrs.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

If you like interpreting things that aren't there then great. You forgot the part where he said Take 2 "doesn't want to sell" implying he thinks that Activison went after a buyer. He doesn't have a clue whether Take 2 doesn’t want to sell. If somebody "walked up to them" with an offer 45% above market value the board of the publicly traded company would have to consider just like Activision did when MS "walked up to them and said we want to buy your company".

He thinks Activison went out looking for a buyer and Take 2 hasn't. If you want to read that as MS forcing something then more power to you.
I mean, I don't think we are debating whether or not take two is willing to sell. Sure you could change the point of conversation to that, but I'm I don't pretend to know one way or another.

I'm also not backing him and his point, I'm clearly pointing out your retort did not make any sense in context to his statement. But again, keep on going and doubling down. I'm sure you could figure out a way to retroactively change your mistake instead of just saying, "my bad, I misread it".

Top Bottom