• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: nobody likes it

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League. Hype gauge: Are you in or are you out?

• I'm in

• I'm out

Results are only viewable after voting.

EN250

The gameplay literally being “shoot the purple weak spot on the tank” feels so archaic. I still can’t believe Rocksteady thinks this is okay.

That really caught my attention (aside from the infinite air gliding), bullet sponge tanks with big purple weak spots, not the best kind of interaction can provide those enemies, at least in AK, as annyoing as they were, you could shoot tanks anywhere and destroy them, don't know why it's so limited in this game

Yes, pretty much.

Floaty combat is what reviewers normally use to describe bad gameplay so there's already a negative opinion formed. Visceral weighted combat is what they normally use to describe good combat like in Elden ring.

I'm starting to think people are starting to get over DC and marvel. People are starting to grow oit of it, however the new generation might actually love it.

I just a boomer that no longer knows what is cool.
omg! people in their 20's & 30's starting to outgrow comic books! oh, god, say it ain't so!...

Last edited:

simpatico

Knowing it's a GAAS looter shooter now only makes the gameplay look worse. So much sponge. I hope there's a good video essay on WTF happened during the creation of this game. A license should help your game, here it's the worst thing about it. The bright purple color pallet and I think everyone is tired of that super hero movie tone of dialog. Just watching that gameplay trailer again tonight and I feel like I'm already tired of playing the game. I wonder where the real core of the Arkham team is these days. Can't be here.

Captiosus

How? This looks nothing like most games that have released in the past couple years.
I can only assume you were in a coma since 2013 and only just woke up. It’s the only way anyone can believe this with any seriousness.

This game looks like every looter shooter GaaS that’s released since Destiny came onto the scene. Hell, one could argue it dates back to Borderlands 1 and 2. The gameplay is nigh identical to Anthem and Avengers. It’s got the same color design and quippy “humor” as Guardians of the Galaxy, Crackdown, and Agents of Mayhem.

It’s Live Service: The Game 2023 - quite literally a design by corporate committee “game” trying to capitalize on the industry trends of the last 5 years. It reminds me of when every new MMO was slated to be the ”WoW Killer”, and they all followed the same basic formula without ever understanding why WoW became as successful as it did. They just thought if they released a clone, they, too, could take a slice of the pie.

PeteBull

omg! people in their 20's & 30's starting to outgrow comic books! oh, god, say it ain't so!...
Its not about comic books or ppl not liking superhero games, if( we never know till at least some srs gameplay is shown) games like spiderman2 and wolverine get bad reviews and bomb sales wise- then maybe u could draw some kind of conclusion.

In case of this game, same like in case of other below avg games its simply that- case of a bad game- bad game doesnt get better if its licenced, it didnt help much marvel's avengers, gotham knights and it definitely wont help this game either- whatever bump in sales they got coz of licence they lost much more paying for that licence, game is 100% bombing, and hard.

Dunno if u guys remember stupid take some higher ups(i think it was from EA) made about single player games dying, then good single player games simply proven that statement wrong, including EA's SW Jedi Fallen Order thats gonna get continuation Jedi Survivor with launch date 28th april so exactly 2 months from now- EA wouldnt make 2nd game if first one didnt sell very well, yet they did- hence only reasonable conclusion- singleplayer games can sell like hotcakes as long as quality is there, same thing with superhero games, but main premise needs to be there- high quality game.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Was funny when Digital Foundry tried to review state of play like they usually do it with all nintendo directs and xbox conferences, when it came to suicide squad impressions, John was honest, other 2 guys didnt want to say much but no1 said anything positive, Richard praised dev studio, but not actual game ;D
John stating that cinematics look good/high budget- , when game's only positive is it has good cinematics u can tell how awful it is, lol i dunno even if its gonna break 70 meta, i expect even major outlets going to town with it and giving 2-3/10 scores as simply proving that they got some credibility to their viewers/gamers ;D

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

It reminds me of when every new MMO was slated to be the ”WoW Killer”, and they all followed the same basic formula without ever understanding why WoW became as successful as it did. They just thought if they released a clone, they, too, could take a slice of the pie.
Like all the straight-to-DVD battle royale games that dropped following the success of Fortnite - seemed like there was a new one every week and they were all condemned to server shutdown within a year.

skyfall

'Battlepass' and 'store' right there in the game's menu.

These games are designed to get your kids to spend money, nothing else

9CJOIYh.png

The fact that Kevin Conroy's last performance will also be in this gaas mtx games makes it feel even worse

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Knowing it's a GAAS looter shooter now only makes the gameplay look worse. So much sponge. I hope there's a good video essay on WTF happened during the creation of this game. A license should help your game, here it's the worst thing about it. The bright purple color pallet and I think everyone is tired of that super hero movie tone of dialog. Just watching that gameplay trailer again tonight and I feel like I'm already tired of playing the game. I wonder where the real core of the Arkham team is these days. Can't be here.

Not only this, but also the art direction. It looks like those cheap suited for all ages GAAS games. At least Gotham Knights has the traditional Arkham look. Suicide Squad, imo, looks far worse. The weak spot galore is just extra.

wOs

I purposely left a middle option out to measure real (un)interest
But you are forcing people who don't lean one way or the other to choose something they disagree with. I'd be curious to also see who has a wait and see approach.

Caffeine

its like everything i dont like about the current game industry wrapped in 1 package and no one bat an eye during a meeting to ask if they are actually making a good game or just another generic non game filled with monetization schemes and carrot on a stick progression. and then they have the tenacity to look happy in their dev video about grinding in the battlepass you payed for. this industry needs a reality check.

diffusionx

But you are forcing people who don't lean one way or the other to choose something they disagree with. I'd be curious to also see who has a wait and see approach.

“Wait and see” is the same as “I’m out” for a shitty looking game that is going to surely get mediocre reviews and flop. Nobody is going to buy a live game nobody else is buying even if they think it looks ok.

Last edited:

wOs

“Wait and see” is the same as “I’m out” for a shitty looking game that is going to surely get mediocre reviews and flop. Nobody is going to buy a live game nobody else is buying even if they think it looks ok.
Sorry not really following your logic. unless your point all along was to say this is going to get mediocre reviews.

diffusionx

Sorry not really following your logic. unless your point all along was to say this is going to get mediocre reviews.
These games are multiplayer focused. They need to get good reviews and blow up from the start. If not then it’s basically impossible to recover. Even if you think the game looks great you’re not going to invest time and money into a failing operation.

I mean sure maybe there is a chance the entire internet is wrong and Rocksteady is about to deliver an amazing title. But in general I’ve found people have pretty good hunches about this stuff.

This game will fail.

For gaming, it seems the best selling and rated games are SP focused games like Spiderman and Batman. Gamers dont seem to care about games with tons of characters in it. Maybe for movies, people love seeing 8 different heroes battling it out in a Marvel movie, but for gaming it seems different.

And I dont see Suicide Squad characters being a huge draw.

Kacho

Yeah no one other than neckbeards care about King Shark and Captain Boomerang. Deadshot has always been whatever.

When this was in early development Harley Quinn was at the peak of her relevance in pop culture. That was very short lived though. The last movie with her as the main star bombed hard.

I think this will actually be pretty good, I'm just disappointed that it's not a single player story driven game that doesn't require an internet connection.

Still think this could very well fail but all the comparisons with Avengers probably aren't fair. This looks a lot more fun to play then that and its Rocksteady.

I am bummed it's a gaas tho

StereoVsn

Yeah no one other than neckbeards care about King Shark and Captain Boomerang. Deadshot has always been whatever.

When this was in early development Harley Quinn was at the peak of her relevance in pop culture. That was very short lived though. The last movie with her as the main star bombed hard.
Yep, this game feels like it's 3-5 years behind the curve basically.

Captiosus

Still think this could very well fail but all the comparisons with Avengers probably aren't fair. This looks a lot more fun to play then that and its Rocksteady.
Aren’t fair?

They’re entirely fair because it’s Rocksteady.

Remember that time EA pushed their preeminent single player studio, BioWare, into chasing market trends to make a GaaS looter shooter they had no experience in making? Or that time Square-Enix pushed a predominantly single player studio, Crystal Dynamics, into making a GaaS multiplayer looter based on a currently mega-popular franchise despite the studio having no experience in the genre?

Why do you think Rocksteady is going to be any different? They’re a studio whose pedigree is stellar single player experiences being pushed by WB to make a game in a genre they have no prior skill in producing.

The Anthem and Avengers analogies are perfectly valid and a likely predictor of this game’s fate.

SkylineRKR

This game will fail 100%.

Look at Gotham Knights, it failed recently. Suicide Squad looks worse and its already being murdered on forehand, and I highly doubt this will review well as there is nothing that hasn't been done before here, and there are many games like this you can just download and play, such as Warframe. But I doubt this game will be better than Warframe, which has become a solid F2P game over the years.

SS is a superhero game with loot and stats. So you will start weak or become underleveled for some random thugs. This will never work in my book. Its just wrong. I felt the same about Avengers. Avengers should've been an SP game like Guardians turned out to be. And I'd rather see a Superman open world game than what Rocksteady is doing right now.

Ozriel

It looks so bland and generic, literally every character is just jump and float around while shooting some bland enemies,

That’s the weird thing. Gameplay for pretty much every character was jumping around, hovering in the air and emptying multiple magazines into glowing targets.

Stare-Bear

They should've canned it after the second movie (or soft reboot) came out and had the cultural impact of a wet fart.

SkylineRKR

That’s the weird thing. Gameplay for pretty much every character was jumping around, hovering in the air and emptying multiple magazines into glowing targets.
With pea shooter impact and bullet sponge enemies because of damage numbers. Its hilarious if you're underpowered and Deadshot can't headshot a random higher level goon. I hate these Destiny games.

What I also hate is that in most of those games you don't really get powerful, but you just ensure you will be on level so you can actually advance. This is fine is it comes naturally, but these games typically let you grind the same missions over and over again until you are ready.

kuncol02

What I also hate is that in most of those games you don't really get powerful, but you just ensure you will be on level so you can actually advance. This is fine is it comes naturally, but these games typically let you grind the same missions over and over again until you are ready.
That comes from jrpgs and is main reason why they are inferior to western styled ones like Baldur's Gate or Fallout.

Spaceman292

This game will fail.

For gaming, it seems the best selling and rated games are SP focused games like Spiderman and Batman. Gamers dont seem to care about games with tons of characters in it. Maybe for movies, people love seeing 8 different heroes battling it out in a Marvel movie, but for gaming it seems different.

I'd be interested if the characters had the same personalities as they do in that animated Harley Quinn show. But same as the Avengers game, all the characters are just more boring versions of characters who habe already been good in other places.

SkylineRKR

That comes from jrpgs and is main reason why they are inferior to western styled ones like Baldur's Gate or Fallout.

Not really. In the most well known JRPG like FFVII, you level up as you progress and if you don't avoid too much battling you are generally fine. You can however break the game if you grind levels and/or go out of your way to earn the best weapons and magic. But if you play normally you can also beat the game. Star Ocean Divine Force too, I think you can beat it by playing casually.

The difference is you are really getting stronger, there is no cap. You can one shot most enemies and even some bosses eventually. With the exception of some super bosses which are actually a good incentive to grind and get the best possible stuff, but they are optional.

Many games like Destiny, in order to do certain missions they ask or even require you to be on a certain level. And in order to do that you usually need to grind first. Many times these level reqs are set just so that you always need to do busywork first. These games are typically filled with poison, like a cap on how much currency you can carry, how many loot you can get per day, selling not possible, low drop rates..

Top Bottom