• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: nobody likes it

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League. Hype gauge: Are you in or are you out?

• I'm in

• I'm out

Results are only viewable after voting.

Barakov

rgVWzJY.png

Mostly tho, haven't seen any argument on the gameplay outside of bad faith and ignorant ones. I don't want to get people excited because the whole feelings overriding reality is all over the internet right now, I'm more down for an actual discourse
This UI can't die fast enough.

PeteBull

A lot of people here are forgetting that Gotham Knights looked a lot worse than this before launch and still sold very well.

This game will be more polished and is being made by a studio with a much better track record, and up until now hasn't had the negative buzz around it that Gotham Knights had since its reveal.

This game is going to sell like hotcakes. Whether or not it'll be any good is another question but I have some faith in Rocksteady. Looks like some dumb fun to me.

Calling it now though, this will score better and sell better than Gotham Knights (and Avengers for that matter).
Gotham Knights looked similary bad, gameplay wise it was somewhat comparable to Arkham series games tho(obviously much worse but similar style, kinda), here gameplay is totally different, and only thing that comes to mind for me is anthem+fortnite, gameplay wise.
U will see how bad its gonna look once we get even more gameplay, man, we still are only at the tip of the iceberg of that artrocity.

Both Gotham Knights and Avengers are terrible games, that bombed hard, both sales and scores wise, if rocksteady's game is in that range, both metacritic and sales wise, it means studio evaporated talent so hard that from one of A- tiers(last game- Arkham Knight) it got downgraded to not even B-tier(coz thats for low to mid 80s games), but to C-tier dev, aka below 80s metacritic score games that bomb, just like gotham knights and marvels avengers =/

diffusionx

PC Gamer sucks ass but they wrote a good article on why this sort of thing is so stupid for superhero games, it just doesn't make sense for a superhero to scrounge for parts and equipment like a hobo. It's asinine.

One other thing I haven't seen mentioned too often was how one-note the combat felt, it was literally all "target the purple weak spots that are conspicuously on every single enemy". What are they thinking?

Legit looks so generic, holy shit. So much time wasted after the Arkham series on this, dead and server shut down in less than 2 years, gaas game.

You have all those heroes in there you would love to play in a single player game, but no, you get to play basically samey characters shooting guns at orbs.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

The IGN poll has similar ratios with more votes. It's rough in general for SS.
Care to share?
Better ditch a few more years and release a good game that sells well than release a game assured to fail.
The assets are done, so it won't take 7 years to make changes to the gameplay.

I won’t be surprised if they delay the game another year and rework some stuff after this feedback.
Halo Infinite style.
I don't know, there isn't much you can do right now. Changing core mechanics isn't a quick deal. The game has already been delayed once or twice? That means internally it probably got delayed like 4 or 5 times.
They got to a point of no return now.
Gamers on forums don't like it.

The broader market is going to feast on this come release day.
I quoted the post that said there's a similar poll in IGN, also YouTube like/dislike ratio, and gaming sites doing the rounds on the game.
I'd say it's a bit more than just forums.

However I agree the broader market might have more of a chance and always has the last word.
This UI can't die fast enough.
Care to elaborate about UI? UI has been quite a hot topic lately but most gamers don't discern between UI and UX.
So what's wrong about the UI?
it's called sunk cost fallacy. If this game launches and bombs they will lose so much they will wish they had canceled it. See: Avengers.
Nah, they can at least salvage some sales and some whales (granted, if this game does badly, that is, but there's still chances that it might do good after all).

This last thing, you've got to take care of echo chamber view.

How much has been Son's of the Forest spoken on gaming circles lastly? Even now that it already released, the OT here doesn't go further than 1 page, yet the game sold 2 million copies in its first 24hs.

Last edited:
its biggest offense is how ugly it is in gameplay. I hate the look of it

The cutscenes and animations aren’t bad though

Last edited:

hyperbertha

It looks horrendous. Significantly worse than Gotham Knights in almost every metric.

Every bad choice and poor execution has been made. Gunplay looks and sounds like a paintball match. Absolute no weight to the recoil, and the enemies barely react to shots. Non-heavies are shrugging off minigun fire like it's nothing, and when they eventually go down, it looks like they have canned death animations. I didn't see q single instance of ragdoll physics.

The animation work is abysmal. Individual character movements are not high quality and barely in-character, but the animation blending and kinematics are where things really break down. Every movement looks like it's being performed on ice and without gravity. These characters are slide-dashing over more distance than Megaman.

Why is Harley Quinn, a normal human, basically standing in air with no locomotive signs of gravity or vertigo? Why is she getting insane airtime from her swings to zip over 2 city blocks, and landing from a story high without so much as a stumble? How is she doing all that with a minigun on her back? King Shark is double-air dashing with no force to accelerate, but why is Deadshot double jumping with a visual effect at his feet, and not with a quick burst of his jetpack?

The graphics look worse than Rocksteady's output from 2015. Mediocre textures, terrible particle effects and awful sound design on top of it.

And writing wise, it just looks utterly stupid.
"Flash is here and he's got Luther."
"One damn thing at a time!" Because Amanda Waller apparently can't address or consider more than a single variable at once, even though that's what her entire character is based around.

"Senseless violence, I love it!" Really, Boomerang? King Shark kicking the shit out of alien invaders who have very specific plans yo hollow out the entire planet is senseless violence?

"I love our escapades." Case closed on the dialogue.

The cutscenes are not well made. At the end, Harley fully opens both doors of the cargo box, waits until Lex comes to the threshold, stares at him without a word for a solid 2 seconds, and then hits him with dialogue, to which he has a delayed, stilted response. Flash, who has already let the Suicide Squad live despite being able to kill or debilitate them all in the blink of an eye, furthers the contrivances by spinning around in a big circle for 6 seconds before Wonder Woman makes her poorly shot and choreographed entrance, with her slightly androgynous design, constantly pouting/scowling facial expression and truly AWFUL and uncharacteristic voice acting.

The Suicide Squad is an almost universally unappealing concept, and the scenario that they've come up with here is inherently flawed. "We thought it would be interesting to show this world from the perspective of the villains." No you didn't. Otherwise, you would've made us play as Brainiac. Or better yet, not have the Suicide Squad be the heroes of the day.

The design makes no sense for these characters. "Harley Quinn is the most acrobatic", apparently for no other reason than her poorly animated cartwheels. Because there is no functional difference to any of these character's mobility. The loot is ridiculous. None of these characters are gunslingers other than Deadshot. Why is there a stock GCPD weapons in Metropolis? Why is King Shark wearing a Superman suit? What the hell were you thinking with this project, and how do you think it looks making the same promises as Avengers did not a month after they announce that game's effective end?

An absolute embarrassment for Rocksteady, and a waste of Eight. Years.
From the perspective of villains: what's the point when the heroes are mind controlled to be evil? They had an opportunity to pursue genuine moral quagmires with their writing but instead took the easiest root, plot device.

mdkirby

Assuming it’s free on PlayStation plus at some point not long after release, then it could be fun to pay on a few evenings with friends. If they are expecting £70 for this tho, then lmfao, helllls no.

Sygma

I honestly have no idea why dc thinks people like Suicide Squad. Its like they look at them in the mirror and see Guardians of The Galaxy or something
The animated movies and the comics always have been ranging from good to very good, thats why

Starcheif

I picked up Gotham Knights at a deep discount and have been enjoying that for the most part. This also looks like another game I will pass on but may pick up on a deep discount later if the story is alright.

Certinty

Genuinely shocked this even got green-lit to begin. Just damn, i’m sure it will be fun with friends but talk about looking generic as hell. 8 years for this too since Arkham Knight…

A lot of people here are forgetting that Gotham Knights looked a lot worse than this before launch and still sold very well...
um, exactly how well? because you usually don't see 50% off sales only a month after release on games that sell really well...

SF Kosmo

The Trigglypuff
On the fence. I was in originally but the gunplay looks really bad and it's feeling more and more like a looter shooter to me, which is not my favorite. I guess it's gonna depend on what else is out and good at the time.

zokie

my friend is buying it for the late Mr Kevin Conroy but i really hope the WB will not market it as its his final performance

I myself bought all the rocksteady studio batman games except VR cos i got motion sickness

will get SSKTJL just for Mr Kevin Conroy but not at day 1 launch price

Gojiira

I was out when the first trailer showed a garbage man faced Harley Quinn to be quite honest… It might be a shallow reason but its just the tip of the iceberg.

CEO: Hey VP of finance, how much money we got?

VP of Finance: I'll check, but why do you ask?

CEO: Superhero movies make a ton of money, so I think we should buy a license and make a superhero game. Looks like easy money

VP of Finance: Will we make profit off it? There's a ton of comic book games out there, and some dont even do well both critically and financially

CEO: Who cares. How much do we have?

VP of Finance: Not a lot. Our balance sheet shows were down to our last $50,000

CEO: Ok, that might be enough. Let me get hold of Marvel. I want to see how much Dazzler costs

aries_71

I like it, though the recent Harley Quin overexposition is starting to be tiresome. What’s the deal with her?

I like it, though the recent Harley Quin overexposition is starting to be tiresome. What’s the deal with her?
I think the character started in Batman the Animated Series. But I might be wrong. I thought she was really annoying in the cartoon, but I think people love her because she wears skin tight outfits, acts dopey, and adds comedic bits to Batman media. So instead of Joker always being the one to provide the jokes, there's a female tandem who does it too.

Both Gotham Knights and Avengers are terrible games, that bombed hard, both sales and scores wise, if rocksteady's game is in that range, both metacritic and sales wise, it means studio evaporated talent so hard that from one of A- tiers(last game- Arkham Knight) it got downgraded to not even B-tier(coz thats for low to mid 80s games), but to C-tier dev, aka below 80s metacritic score games that bomb, just like gotham knights and marvels avengers =/
I always find it amazing when licensed games do poorly.

The game studio is gifted right off the bat with content to use. The characters, art, super powers and general storyline are all there to use as a starting point. It's not like the studio leads have to sit together and come up with all the content from scratch.

Pimpbaa

I think the character started in Batman the Animated Series. But I might be wrong. I thought she was really annoying in the cartoon, but I think people love her because she wears skin tight outfits, acts dopey, and adds comedic bits to Batman media. So instead of Joker always being the one to provide the jokes, there's a female tandem who does it too.

Some of us just really like hot crazy bitches.

Don't really understand the push to make the suicide squad a thing. Bunch of c-tier characters(aside from the annoying HQ) and the movies have been pretty meh. I'll keep an open mind, though. Haven't seen enough gameplay to say it's total shit on arrival. That said, it currently looks like shit and I doubt much will change between now and then. There's already a lot of bangers coming out during that time, so it would have to be amazing.

Don't really understand the push to make the suicide squad a thing. Bunch of c-tier characters(aside from the annoying HQ) and the movies have been pretty meh. I'll keep an open mind, though. Haven't seen enough gameplay to say it's total shit on arrival. That said, it currently looks like shit and I doubt much will change between now and then. There's already a lot of bangers coming out during that time, so it would have to be amazing.
Marvel, GotG, Suicide Squad, Xmen etc…

All big party games, MP, coop etc…. As close to Fortnite as you can get. Make a superhero game a loner experience like an old Batman game and the revenue potential drops like a rock.

ProtoByte

From the perspective of villains: what's the point when the heroes are mind controlled to be evil? They had an opportunity to pursue genuine moral quagmires with their writing but instead took the easiest root, plot device.
They want to able to go spout fluff in the corporate meetings and marketing campaign about how different the perspective is, but they don't want to put the effort into deft scriptwriting that actually puts the player in the shoes of an actual villain without alienating them. The thing is that having a greater evil isn't an automatically bad idea; but there's literally no opportunity for the Suicide Squad to actually even be lesser villains, because they're doing everything under the duress of an anti-hero/anti-villain in Amanda Waller, not for their own desires or to indulge their bad traits beyond not getting their heads remotely blown off.

Even that scene where Boomerang starts monologuing before trying to kill a helpless Flash can't be taken seriously, and not just because it's undercut by almost slapstick comedy. Other than your knowledge about other interpretations of and what the game tells you about Barry Allen, all you have for reference is him acting evil under mind control. Any disgust I feel is directed at the writers for this awful scenario, not Boomerang.

PeteBull

Its higher ups/suits/non gamers, those fuckers probably never beat single game in their life, and just look at potential revenue stream/numbers in their excel, they look at arkham series single player games and see 1 copy sold, some at higher price(launch or even better some digital deluxe edition w/e).

They think us players are some dumb lifestock that can be convinced by smart marketing to grativate towards shit product and spend money on it multiple times(ofc buying game, preferably at high price launch/special versions), then battle pass, all kinds of mtx, then dlc etc, and all of that with very lil effort from publisher/dev studio, like always in those cases game gonna get some big/ambitious roadmap, and in a year when its only on skeleton crew all that roadmap gonna be canceled, we went tru this shit many times already.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Looks nice. Probably not the best work of them, but I don't think they deserve those slaps... At least for now

SkylineRKR

Look, this looter shooter, or GAAS shit or whatever needs to go. Since superhero games chase this trend, they're falling off a cliff. Avengers was shit. Gotham Knights was shit. Suicide Squad will be shit. Guardians was good, because it was a solid single player game.

After these shitty games you will be clamoring for even Arkham Origins (which is my fave in the franchise btw, but many disliked it).

Top Bottom