• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: nobody likes it

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League. Hype gauge: Are you in or are you out?

• I'm in

• I'm out

Results are only viewable after voting.

jm89

So how is the reception for this game outside of Gaf?
Fay0EqZXkAIFOn8.jpg

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
DC are kinda delusional and the same with the people who work with them.
No1 cares about these characters or half of the DC cast. Yeah the same was the case for Marvel but they spent years introducing there characters slowly And they are more interesting.

No1 wants to play as Sharkman or Harley Quin ffs or watch movies about them. Use good DC characters and stop trying to be Marvel
This is it.

Batman? Everyone loves it.

Superman? People like this.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman? People are ok with this.

Shazam? Black Adam? Green Lantern? Most people have no idea who they are. You may as well just make new characters with an interesting story, in fact you'd be better off doing that. I don't really understand why they can't make new IP rather than having to use stuff nobody seems to have cared about or even heard of for decades.

I might have it wrong and all the marvel characters were similarly broadly unknown, before marvel started pumping out movies every 30 seconds, but I don't think that is the case.

What's crazy is that in terms of games, we haven't had a Batman game* since 2015, and that's the one character that is definitely 100% something people want. Yet within a year we'll get 2 games that are adjacent to Batman, Gotham Knights and now this.

Why not just make a good Batman game that people want? Because it doesn't expand the universe? So make something that does expand the universe but nobody wants?

*Ignoring Telltale/rerelease/vr

hyperbertha

I just noticed during the well lit sections (daytime) it legit looks like an early ps4 title. And the physics of the characters while they are airborne, its like they forgot to animate leg movement or something. It just feels so off. And what's with the cinematography and camera angles in the cutscenes? It just feels so amateur, like a homemade cutscene mod or something you'd see for Skyrim.

Flutta

My tears. Exclusive to gamepass. Forever.
Looks nice. Probably not the best work of them, but I don't think they deserve those slaps... At least for now

They deserve every slap they can get for making this abomination. If it were up to me a would ban every studio for even trying to feed this poison to the public.

LIFE TIME BAN!!!

Gojiira

When are these devs going to make attractive looking females again? This is so annoying.
Tbf its not just this dev, Aloy is fugly, Lara has been getting worse etc. It makes it even worse when promotional and concept art has them actually hot looking. Aloy is perfect example of this.

you'd be better off doing that. I don't really understand whShazam? Black Adam? Green Lantern? Most people have no idea who they are. You may as well just make new characters with an interesting story, in fact you'd be better off doing that. I don't really understand why they can't make new IP rather than having to use stuff nobody seems to have cared about or even heard of for decades...
this! so much this! why in the hell even bother developing games based on properties/characters that most people either don't know or care about? in what way is doing so 'smart'?...

NewYork214

Feel like people are hating on this way too quick. I'll give it a shot if some of my friends are down. I haven't seen enough to hate it yet

It being a 3rd person shooter was jarring but fuck it. Maybe it's fun to play.

sachos

I voted "Out" not because of the gameplay they showed but because of the forced online single player bullshit. If its end up being bad then easy skip, if it ends up being actually good i may end up buying it in the future during a big discount mostly treating it like a really cheap rental since i don't have faith in those servers staying online for too long. But honestly being smart i shouldnt really support this shit practices.

Every time I see an action game with health bars and bullet sponge enemies I run away like the Devil runs from the cross. It's sad that the studio which brought us the Arkham games made this generic crap.

It looks terrible to me but yeah I guess if you were a fan of Crackdown, it seems to be going for that combined with a looter shooter.
The environments look bad, bunch of purple"corruption" or whatever. Shoot the big purple weak spot, dodge lasers, upgrade guns and armor etc.
I feel like I already know the gameplay loop and I'm already bored with it.

Yoda

Game looks like it needs more time in the oven... Is this really what they've been working on for half a decade?

I was a big Arkham fan. They had my support all the way to Arkham Knight. This side stuff isn’t for me. I wasn’t a fan of the Suicide Squad to begin with. It’s not as entertaining as Batman was. They sucked the life out of Batman, so we got a game where he’s dead from another studio and a game with a bunch of obscure heroes. It’s a sucky situation and the excitement for me isn’t there.

It’s weird how they decide to make games based off these characters. There’s a ton of ideas out there and we get this odd wedge out of the brand. It’s like being stuck with the Avengers for ten years.

ProtoByte

Another point: Why is it that all of these group superhero games severely underutilize the characters? With Marvel, it makes slightly more sense because they're licensing out to 3rd parties; the more characters you want to use, rhe more expensive the licensing.

There's no excuse for this or Gotham Knights though, because they're all developed under WB. Where the hell is Green Arrow? Blue Beetle? Huntress or Black Canary? Fucking Elongated Man be more feasible for the lames in the Suicide Squad to fight as opposed to Superman and John Stewart Green Lantern.

Kadve

Just watched this trailer for the first time and what the hell is wrong with this?? I'm getting strong CRACKDOWN vibes with 4 player coop!!! Looks awesome!!!
For me its the idea. I don't like playing as a villain as that tends to be their entire character. And the modern suicide squad in particular have a reputation of being insufferable.

Also the entire premise of the game screams lazy. The Suicide Squad being sent in to kill brainiac who has brainwashed the justice league, ok? At least Gotham Knights presented us with some mystery regarding what had happened to Batman. I can pretty much figure out this entire plot from the premise alone which gives me no actual motivation to care about these C and B listers.

Last edited:
If it came out and people were obsessed with it because of how fun it is and it somehow changes to formula for GaaS and it's not invasive maybe... but that's not gonna happen. Lets be real.

wOs

Wish there was a we will see option. Definitely not hyped for it, but if the gameplay comes together it could be fun.

Ar¢tos

I don't get whats so bad about it. Do gamers only want soulsborne and TLOU nowadays?
*sigh*
Yes, all we want is soulborne and TLOU.

The complaints on this thread have nothing to do with the shallow approach to story, constant character chatter, old and tired gameplay, full price game with battle pass (and possibly mtx) and so many other little things.

*sigh*
Yes, all we want is soulborne and TLOU.

The complaints on this thread have nothing to do with the shallow approach to story, constant character chatter, old and tired gameplay, full price game with battle pass (and possibly mtx) and so many other little things.
>shallow approach to story

It's not a story focused game, it's a game focused game. Mario games have a shallow story, so what? Not every game needs to have deep storytelling.

>constant character chatter

That's just the comedic tone of the game. Doesn't make it bad.

>old and tired gameplay

How? This looks nothing like most games that have released in the past couple years.

>(and possibly mtx)

Non issue. Don't buy them then.

Last edited:

The Stig

Hard out.

And this is coming from someone who played the absolute HECK out of all 4 batman games (yes i know rocksteady didnt do origins(

Shubh_C63

I have been REALLY looking forward to this game and I gotta admit I would still play it only and ONLY for the story. I want to see what approach they will take on boss fights.

So deep discounts and sales probably. Otherwise, huge disappointment from Rocksteady. Won't even put 10% of the time I had put in Arkham City or in Knight.

I hope we get a leaker telling us just what the hell happened to Rocksteady since Arkham Knight was finished. There were rumours of Superman and Justice League, and talk of Warner forcing the gaas model on them during development of Suicide Squad. It must be a fascinating tale.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It has nothing to do with dev or gameplay for me, really. I just don't really enjoy The Superhero genre, be it DC or Marvel. Spidey and Batman are the exceptions, and even then, it mostly extends to see 1-3 movies in a Trilogy, I obsess over way too many things as is, if I fell into the trap of comic books and related media and merchandise, it would be like Robin Williams popping out of Jumanji

Kataploom

Damn boy, everyone loved the trailer it seems 🤣😅 imagine being the dev and going to check the YouTube trailer and everyone is shiting on it. You get immediately emotionally broken.
I honestly feel bad for devs, actually, but too many flops on this industry recently for those pursuing the GaaS dream and the many single player success should tell them boards to stfo and attend their actual audience... It's like they're trying so hard to go after mobile native users but on consoles, then they should do mobile games, console games may like some GaaS but the sheer volume of these will prefer their single player stuff, see A Plague Tale, Doom reboots, Sony first party games, Jedi Fallen Order, most Nintendo games, etc. Those are the experiences most of us are expecting to have on console, it's not surprising to see people being so reactionary to GaaS models on consoles, it's they're too tired already..

Techies

I don't get whats so bad about it. Do gamers only want soulsborne and TLOU nowadays?
Yes, pretty much.

Floaty combat is what reviewers normally use to describe bad gameplay so there's already a negative opinion formed. Visceral weighted combat is what they normally use to describe good combat like in Elden ring.

I'm starting to think people are starting to get over DC and marvel. People are starting to grow oit of it, however the new generation might actually love it.

I just a boomer that no longer knows what is cool.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

I'm assuming you're still very young or your tastes are dreadful. In any case, congrats on being a minority!

8PHVcwk.png
Lol not young and my tastes are superb. Again this reminds me of Crackdown which I loved. The free movement and traversal looks fun. People's expectations are way off. It's the Suicide Squad. They don't have cool powers or anything for us to play with so they resort to guns and technology. This looks more fun than Avengers and Gaurdians of the Galaxy to me. Story atleast has my interest. It's not often you get to kill the heroes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom