• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at 80 hours with only 2 dungeons finished and I'm holding on from staring the third one because I'm sad thinking I'm already half finished with the game. I've never felt this way about any lengthy single player game before.

Just beat the game with all shrines and I feel like I'm the only one that didn't really enjoy it.

There were a few cool shrines but feel like most sucked. Enemy variety sucked too. Final boss was ok but the end battle was super boring...

I just miss my awesome dungeons :(

There's weapons specially designed to kill Guardians, there's also a skill you can use--
a critical block to reflect the beam
--at any time to deal big damage but at your point messing it up would mean instant death.
Early in the game your best chance at killing a gaurdian is much more simple...

Get near the Guardian, and destroy one of it's legs.l (either glide in or hide after it sees you and it will come to you) Then quickly move from leg to leg. Each time will stun it and take off a lot of health.

After that the Guardian should have 1/3 health. Simple climb it and beat it down. If it targets you a regular arrow in the eye will stun it and when it's not a moving target it's incredibly easy to hit.

And use guardian weapons if you have one.

If you do this thhe guardian won't have a chance to fire even once.

Rodin

What horse do you get when you fight Ganon? The best one out of the ones you registered?
Epona.
So I beat Ganon last night. It was a lot more epic than some people make it out to be. Fantastic final boss design. However
stocks of food helps too much and makes it easy.
I wish the ending cinematic was longer like in previous Zelda games.

Yeah it really, really was. And sure it could've been a bit more "dynamic", but honestly it was so majestic and epic (DAT MUSIC) that i really don't care. I also agree about the ending cinematic, it was fantastic but i would've loved even only 5 minutes more. Did all the memories so i'm referring to the "extended" finale.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
anyone got this thing?

2daeafa4b87ee0e6ad9c38bf2b344164.jpg

eff74e377dfdde1f344d82f71e3b817a.jpg

64080edd54c8d08ccb4a37af9cee12bf.jpg

979497f3fddcbd31106b389dcade57d8.jpg

i WANT this

NimbusD

that's a legit point of view

personally, I think they did the right thing, they wanted to refresh the franchise, and the dungeons were the most antiquated part of it. in my opinion the dungeons were the first thing that needed to go.

the divine beasts fit the BOTW concept perfectly. the only thing I found disappointing was that they looked and felt too similiar.

I'm just gonna spoiler my dungeon thoughts, I don't think there's spoilers but just to be safe.

Yeah the dungeons were antiquated in their mechanics, but it doesn't mean just get rid of them. They still have them but they're broken up into shrines and beasts. Those are fine but they're just tiny tastes of what we really want which is places that are guantlets of tests of wit and combat skill. What we have are a bunch of disparate ideas spread across the land k. Small bites.

I dunno I love this game, but to say it was a good idea to demolish dungeons imo is wrong. Especially for this game. Imagine if each of those maze shrines were actually.just big castles that you happened upon while traveling, or bombing a random wall on a mountain led to a giant labyrinth cavern. That's the direction they should go, make this stuff more integrated is how you make it less dated, the shrines and beasts didn't accomplish that.

I dunno if anyone else has found this but I figured out an excellent system for farming the dragon shards.

Step 1: Go to
Shodah Sah
Shrine near Floria Falls, start a campfire to wait until night, then exit the cave and climb up to the right of the waterfall and wait just a minute or so for
Farosh
to appear. Shoot him for whatever part you need.

Step 2: Warp to
Dow Na'eh
Shrine near Lanayru Promenade, exit and climb up a bit (or climb the waterfall) and start heading towards Mt. Lanayru, you should see
Naydra
shortly along the way.

Step 3: Warp to
Shae Loya
Shrine near Tabantha Great Bridge, and wait until
Dinraal
appears in the canyon.

Repeat as needed.

EDIT: sometimes
Farosh
doesn't show up this way, might be due to rain.

PillarEN

anyone got this thing?

i WANT this

2 kawaii 4 me

By the way. I didn't use the horses too much. Not that I tried to kill any of them either but it seemed hard to do so. Anytime we would get to a cliff or some steep shift the horses would just stop and not walk to their deaths. What's the trick? Run at a 100 MPH and hope for the worst? Lol.

Mediking

Got to the Rito village. Very beautiful theme and I do like the village. Gerudo village is still my favorite though. I haven't been to Goron City yet. Zora place was nice....

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it's okay if I bump my question from before.

For people who have beaten the game:

What changes from a gameplay perspective once you beat Ganon? Is the full game still accessible? Does it just load a save outside of Hyrule Castle as if nothing has happened? Does it act as if you actually did beat the game but leave the world open? Do you unlock any new options?

I'm trying to decide when I should stop wandering and face Ganon. Only looking to know what changes gameplay-wise.

Hattori

Banned
did my first beast last night after 90 hours... I love it because I know I don't need anything to solve but at the same time I got frustrated a little bit because I don't have an excuse for failure. I loved every eureka moment I had solving the whole thing, just satisfying.

kunonabi

Just beat the game with all shrines and I feel like I'm the only one that didn't really enjoy it.

There were a few cool shrines but feel like most sucked. Enemy variety sucked too. Final boss was ok but the end battle was super boring...

Nah, I'm with you.

the fact that they are not a zelda dungeon at all

almost had no enemies, no keys, small AF, boss doesn't have a special tactic to kill, no boss room key, no mini-boss room
Edit: forgot the variety of the areas, in previous Zelda games, Dungeons were varied between, jungle, lava, ice...Etc, now it is just inside a machine

why did they do this to the dungeons ?? it was the best thing in Zelda series, they did everything right in BOTW except the dungeons

For me the weapon durability/revolving door idea is far worse than the Divine Beasts. I actually really enjoyed the way they were a giant puzzle.

Woooowww just warped to Goron City, sold a bunch of ore, made my way to the Bridge of Eldin, triggered a cutscene, and died. At no point did the game save for any of that and I loaded back to a shrine across the map. Not cool.

Apt101

Haha. I came upon a heavily infested goblikin camp. Assassinated a few guys sleeping in a cave, carried all of the explosive barrels within to a little clearing - seven barrels in all. Placed two bombs next to them.

Ran over to the camp proper and whistled to get everyone's attention. They spring to action, some running to get weapons (that I forgot to steal first), eventually like 10 guys chasing me. A lionel joins in on the fun (where the hell did you come from?! I thought). Blew them all sky high. Only the lionel was left, who I quickly dispatched with a shock arrow and big leaping blow from an ancient battle axe.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Pineconn

Woooowww just warped to Goron City, sold a bunch of ore, made my way to the Bridge of Eldin, triggered a cutscene, and died. At no point did the game save for any of that and I loaded back to a shrine across the map. Not cool.

Conveniently, the game lets you save manually!

maxcriden

So I found the lost woods, and I know what's in there...

Is there a character who gives you better help with that area or are you just supposed to figure it out yourself? I made it to the first check point in there but then I kept on getting lost in the fog over and over and gave up.

watch for
the direction the wind blows on the embers of your torch

(this SPOILER tells you how to get through to the center of the forest):
You can light a torch and follow the direction in which the embers are blowing from your torch in the wind. That will guide you through the woods to the center part.

If the tip in the spoiler tags above doesn't work for you, you could also try what we did since we didn't figure out the above tip when playing.

We would walk towards a tree, usually one with a face seemed safe, and if we walked in the direction where the forest would suck us up we'd run back a bit where we came from and avoiding being eaten by the forest. Each time we found a safe tree we'd use a star stamp as breadcrumbs to mark the path and this got us there.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Dungeons were previously my favorite part of Zeldas. However, what I realized recently is that what I liked about dungeons was discovering a new imaginative location with nooks and crannies to explore and seemingly inaccessible locations that I'd figure out how to reach. In Breath of the Wild, the overworld is providing that. For example, stumbling upon a location like
Lanayru Promenade
early in the game blew my mind. The same can be said for
Akkala Citadel and the seven heroines in the desert
. These locations in the world satisfied my need for imaginative architecture and structures in a way that made sense. (I think a lot of dungeon layouts make zero sense in the context of the world of Zelda games, though the interiors of the Divine Beasts don't really make sense either.) For puzzles, Shrines, Divine Beasts, and side quests are satisfying me. And for feeling more powerful/capable, there are various systems in the game (armor, orbs, upgrades) that provide those growth opportunities.

I'm probably about 2/3 of the way through my playtime with BotW, but one thing I do miss is that there aren't more intricate, large, interior environments.
Yiga Hideout
was kind of the start of what I'm looking for, and I imagine
Hyrule Castle
will provide something as well. I think
Forgotten Temple
was a missed opportunity, but I also see why they wouldn't have designed it how I would hope.

When you beat Ganon a star appears in you savefile but it left you outside of Ganon chamber before you fight him

No changes. The game doesn't exist in a post Ganon world. You spawn just outside the final boss.

Nothing

It just loads the game from the save point before the battle.

Your map screen now has an overall completion percentage on it.

All of these responses and posts helped. Thanks!

Im about 65% thru but you definitely arent alone. ALBW was an infinitely better approach to a nonlinear Zelda game imo. I'm enjoying it, but it's a very disappointing game at the same time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Gerudo
Beast down, only one left :)

off to
Death Mountain
then I guess!

Speely

Banned
Do Savage Lynel Swords decay slower when using them against Lynels or are they just very durable in and of themselves? Was fighting the Lynel near the
Eldin Great Skeleton
and I broke a couple swords on him before switching to the Lynel Sword, and then it lasted the whole fight, through a bunch of flurry rushes and stuff.

Do Savage Lynel Swords decay slower when using them against Lynels or are they just very durable in and of themselves? Was fighting the Lynel near the
Eldin Great Skeleton
and I broke a couple swords on him before switching to the Lynel Sword, and then it lasted the whole fight, through a bunch of flurry rushes and stuff.

Lynel swords are just naturally very durable. Most of their weapons are.

Is armor rating the only thing that matters, or can iron armor better defend against certain kinds of attacks?

Certain armors gives very clear elemental benefits.
Like making it you can't be frozen or can't catch fire. Another set keeps you from being electrocuted and makes you immune to lightning strikes.
Other armor gives you greater defense against a certain kind of enemy.
Ancient Armor gives you greater defense against Guardians.

It will tell you these things on the equip screen when it is applicable. Generally, what matters most is the defense rating.

Vena

Is armor rating the only thing that matters, or can iron armor better defend against certain kinds of attacks?

The number is all that matters for damage mitigation. But certain armors have bonus defenses against types like Ice, Electric, and Fire by making you "proof" to their effects.

So last night I decided to stop wandering around and start tackling the story

Beat the
zora
dungeon , going in I had fears about their approach. Granted I would much rather we got 4 traditional dungeons but I walked away content with it but less so with the boss

Also beat that Lynel attached to that section, used a ton of shock arrows, and all of my good food, and then like 100 hylian rice items

Apt101

Certain armors gives very clear elemental benefits.
Like making it you can't be frozen or can't catch fire. Another set keeps you from being electrocuted and makes you immune to lightning strikes.
Other armor gives you greater defense against a certain kind of enemy.
Ancient Armor gives you greater defense against Guardians.

It will tell you these things on the equip screen when it is applicable. Generally, what matters most is the defense rating.

The number is all that matters for damage mitigation. But certain armors have bonus defenses against types like Ice, Electric, and Fire by making you "proof" to their effects.

Ah, thanks. I'm still trying to figure out if any sets I own have bonuses. I've upgraded my Hylian armor twice and nothing looks apparent in the info screen.

Ah, thanks. I'm still trying to figure out if any sets I own have bonuses. I've upgraded my Hylian armor twice and nothing looks apparent in the info screen.

The Hylian set doesn't give any sort of passive bonus. It's just a neutral set that's easy to upgrade. You'll notice passive benefits right next to Link on the equip screen when they exist. Almost everything except the Hylian set has one.

The Climbing Set, for example, lets you climb faster and you've surely noticed the bonus on the equip screen. That's where it will appear.

Dremorak

Banned
The Hylian set doesn't give any sort of passive bonus. It's just a neutral set that's easy to upgrade. You'll notice passive benefits right next to Link on the equip screen when they exist. Almost everything except the Hylian set has one.

The Climbing Set, for example, lets you climb faster and you've surely noticed the bonus on the equip screen. That's where it will appear.

I think they are mainly referring to the extra bonus that some sets have when upgraded twice. I would say that most sets do have one, hylian set doesn't, its a just a basic easy to upgrade all the way set

I think they are mainly referring to the extra bonus that some sets have when upgraded twice. I would say that most sets do have one, hylian set doesn't, its a just a basic easy to upgrade all the way set

That's what I'm talking about as well. I'm just using the Climbing Set to indicate where they can expect to see unique defensive bonuses (if their set has one).

atr0cious

I seriously love the desert theme. It's oddly soothing.
Can we talk about how amazing the desert is? I know people talk about visual fidelity, but does any other game have that kind of cloud shadow technique going on?
The way the clouds make the sand look like grass was really impressive,
just everything about the desert is impressive. Best part is the excuse to wear the voe outfit.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I seriously love the desert theme. It's oddly soothing.

I miss the iconic Gerudo theme, but moving away from it allowed them to do some really neat stuff. I felt like that they should have done it with Zora's domain too.

Rito is amazing because you can never have too much Dragon Roost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom