• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official X06 Barcelona (360) Summary Thread

Chiggs

Doomgaze-MWFR said:
This console is seriously lacking of great beat them all such as devil may cry or god of war. And where the **** is RE5 ? Is he not supposed to be release in march 2007 ?

I think RE5 won't be shown for awhile.

Vrolokus said:
I'm laughing at these SDF dudes minimizing the conference due to "multiplatform" games. The way I see it, multiplatform titles only help the 360, and only hurt the PS3.

$60 Assassin's Creed + $300 to $400 360 > $60 Assassin's Creed + $500 to $600 PS3.

people only buy consoles for a single game?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Awesome conference that totally delivered. I can't wait to see the footage from the floor too. This has been a fantastic week and a half for next gen gaming.

:lol at the people who said it was underwhelming. What exactly were you expecting apart from maybe Halo 3 footage?

Kuroyume

Banned
Amir0x said:
● SPLINTER CELL 5 (the one after Double Agent) is 360 exclusive

WOW

MEGATON

Hopefully not having to handle 3-4 different ports anymore will allow them to make the most killer looking game. SC 4 looks really damn good, but I expected it to take the graphics crown when it was first shown.

rastex

Banned
sonycowboy said:
But, they likely wont' be the same games. Almost all multiplatform games seem to be looking better on the PS3. Not enough to make you buy the system, but if you have both, I would think the Xbox fans would do what they did the last time and buy the best version.

Ugh, this is completely unknown at this point. If you're going to point to RR7 and FN3 as examples, then you're being dishonest. It's not until we see games released simultaneously on both platforms that we'll be able to judge "TEH BEST VERSION!" which won't happen until I guess RB6:Vegas? The sports games MIGHT be comparable because the difference in dev time is only a few months rather than 12, though I'm sure if you see it swing in the 360's favour there'll be loud cries of "Launch ports!" Also, is the best version all about graphics? It's silly to deny that seamless online play, Achievements, etc don't add to the experience.

And anyway, if the PS3 doesn't show a "tangible" difference being released a year later, and costing at least $100 more, then Sony has made a collosal mistake, or MS hired a bunch of hardware designer ninjas.

Mojovonio

Banned
sonycowboy said:
But, they likely wont' be the same games. Almost all multiplatform games seem to be looking better on the PS3. Not enough to make you buy the system, but if you have both, I would think the Xbox fans would do what they did the last time and buy the best version.

All in all, 3rd party games won't be the differentiators or cause someone to buy one system for another. It's going to be about the exclusives and Microsoft sewing up Bioshock, expanding the Halo universe, a new PGR, a new Banjo, and the rest of thier first party lineup are defintitely causing some noise.

What multiplatform games have you played on both systems?

36WiiS3 said:
MS is'nt stupid they know Sony held back some shit till oct and they are doing the same.

Other than a price drop, I don't think Microsoft is holding anything back except not showing games that aren't ready to be shown. At this point, their strongest hand is on the table, IMO.

What will be interesting is that Sony has obviously held back info from TGS. There are dev teams working on games that we know nothing about or have been quiet for awhile and theier games are pretty far along. We also don't know much about the overall retail packages, the online component, or some of their likely 3rd party exclusives (beyond MGS4, FFXIII, DMC4, & VF5)

36WiiS3

SnakeXs said:
Holy crap at some of the stuff in this thread. God GAF never fails.

Anywho, decent show. I agree too much CG (and too many co-PC exclusives, GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR CONSOLE MS, NOW THAT YOU NEED TO PROVE IT), but it was a great conference, some great titles, some nice announcements, and no real low points. I don't know what else people want. God expctations people have are sometimes so unreal, people need to get a grip on reality sometimes.

Anyways, hopefully lots of in game footage rolls out soon. I wanna see new videos of some of this stuff.

And mother****ing :lol @ the Gears comments.

The Gears comments kill me to, there's going to be alot of jaws dropping when people start seeing it in HD Just ask Blim.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Coin Return said:
WTF is up with the comments saying "Talk about milking Halo for all its worth!". Its 1 new RTS game! You wanna see milking, look at Mario, or Street Fighter.
I'm excited for Halo Wars, Ensemble is a studio that you know will do the game absolute justice. Hell they even brought down a few high ups from Bungie to make sure the game is developed smoothly. It'll be a DAMN good game that much is assured however it does seem clear that Microsoft is milking Halo as much as they can which isn't bad or good, just smart business.

rastex said:
And anyway, if the PS3 doesn't show a "tangible" difference being released a year later, and costing at least $100 more, then Sony has made a collosal mistake, or MS hired a bunch of hardware designer ninjas.

Didn't everybody buy their 360 thinking that the PS3 would have stronger hardware? I definitely did. I'd never buy a system based on some thought that it would have the most horsepower of the generation.

skybaby

847_0005.jpg

GRAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSS!

rastex said:
Ugh, this is completely unknown at this point. If you're going to point to RR7 and FN3 as examples, then you're being dishonest. It's not until we see games released simultaneously on both platforms that we'll be able to judge "TEH BEST VERSION!" which won't happen until I guess RB6:Vegas? The sports games MIGHT be comparable because the difference in dev time is only a few months rather than 12, though I'm sure if you see it swing in the 360's favour there'll be loud cries of "Launch ports!" Also, is the best version all about graphics? It's silly to deny that seamless online play, Achievements, etc don't add to the experience.

Actually, it's not.

Almost every single multiplatform title we've heard about is having something exclusive or new for the PS3 version. Light sources, upgraded graphics, exclusive content, 1080p, and so forth. The concern for PS3 multiplatform is what's going on with online now that TH & VT have been taken offline, by all reports. However, other titles are going to be online for launch.

TheDuce22

Banned
sonycowboy said:

And there will be multiplatform games that look better on 360. The Darkness for instance (if starbreeze is to be believed). :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ghost said:
Sony tried to sell that stuff as in game, using a load of loopholes and bullshit, thats what caused the backlash, also that was the unvieling of the ****ing console. We already know what 360 can do, the line up was more important than how its presented, as long as its presented honestly. And the lineup looks bloody good on paper (or CG).
That's exactly right. What Sony tried to do at E3 2005 completely backfired on them and I think they've learned their lesson somewhat. While it may have seemed like the thing to do at the time, it really had very negative results that they are still recovering from. They set our expectations WAY too high and failed to match it.

The CG at X06 won't do any harm, however, and I'm not suggesting that. It IS disappointing, however. Felz was basically attempting to suggest that, in Sony's case, everyone was perfectly OK with their usage of CG yet took issue with the fact that Microsoft was using it as well. That could not be further from the truth. He has an agenda with Sony, but you don't take up an agenda with false information. Ignorance gets you nowhere.

God! Put your bitching aside for a cotton-picking second and lets all hold hands to remember the fact that Peter Moore uttered the word "Barcelona-ton".

36WiiS3

sonycowboy said:
Other than a price drop, I don't think Microsoft is holding anything back except not showing games that aren't ready to be shown. At this point, their strongest hand is on the table, IMO.

What will be interesting is that Sony has obviously held back info from TGS. There are dev teams working on games that we know nothing about or have been quiet for awhile and theier games are pretty far along. We also don't know much about the overall retail packages, the online component, or some of their likely 3rd party exclusives (beyond MGS4, FFXIII, DMC4, & VF5)

Well MS has already sold me, obviously I've had a 360 since launch. I almost wish I was on the other side because the 360 would be cheaper to pick up to add to a PS3, but as it stands I have to wait till the PS3 hits $500.00 canadian (with a game I want) before I jump In.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Zer0 said:
not..when sony shows CGI OH MY GOD ****ING LIARS

when ms shows CGI OH MY GOD AWESOME!!

When Sony was showing CGI, they were passing it off as gameplay. That's what pissed people off. Microsoft has almost shot themselves in the foot showing in game work that is far too early to be released to the public. Even so, these conference videos were not shown as in game footage, we've seen what the 360 can do, and the playable demos looked very good. Big differences there that you shouldn't overlook.

rastex

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
1) I'm a 360 owner and want the system to be successful.
2) I'm in business as a career and follow the industry from that perspective.
3) I'm a backseat quarterback and think not doing a bundle is a bad idea.

Well that's your analysis/opinion, and one that I don't agree with, which I why I said we'll know for sure in 4 months whether it was the right move or not :p

And remember, price drops cost money, so you can use that money in different ways to spur up sales. Maybe a price drop won't be as effective as dramatically increasing their marketing budget? Or securing more exclusives? Or finding out how to lower the price of Live Gold? That's why I think it's silly to peg success on ONE thing: price drop. It's such a crude tactic.

Vrolokus

Banned
FECordeau said:
people only buy consoles for a single game?

Way to miss the point.

Despite what sonycowboy says, there is no evidence or reason to believe multiplatform titles will look better - or even different - on the PS3. So at the end of the day you have 3rd party games - the majority of software on the market - that can be had on a cheaper console, even though they look and play the same.

So a multiplatform release - whether it's Assassin's Creed or whatever else - isn't a point for both the 360 and PS3. The 360 benefits from multiplatform titles due to its price advantage.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
sonycowboy said:

Hmmm. :)

You're certainly very confident -- and that's great.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm REALLY tired of the CG videos though, that shit needs to stop or at least companies need to stop being devious by attempting to pass it off as gameplay (or option C: GIFS!). At least Microsoft doesn't have to prove how powerful their system is through CG deception due to them having a physical product out in the market, so it's a little easier to swallow.

Uncle

Wolves Evolve said:
God! Put your bitching aside for a cotton-picking second and lets all hold hands to remember the fact that Peter Moore uttered the word "Barcelona-ton".

I'm eagerly awaiting for a .gif.

rastex

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Actually, it's not.

Almost every single multiplatform title we've heard about is having something exclusive or new for the PS3 version. Light sources, upgraded graphics, exclusive content, 1080p, and so forth. The concern for PS3 multiplatform is what's going on with online now that TH & VT have been taken offline, by all reports. However, other titles are going to be online for launch.
I've been following gaming news pretty closely so I'm not familiar with any game that's getting a simultaneous release that has improvements on it. Extra light sources in COD3, whatever the hell that means, we'll see what it actually looks like when the game is released. And you'd trade 1080p in VT for online play? ANYBODY that does that... would just amaze me. I mean considering online play, it actually looks like (at this point) the 360 is getting the better versions :p

pr0cs

Zer0 said:
not..when sony shows CGI OH MY GOD ****ING LIARS

when ms shows CGI OH MY GOD AWESOME!!

Well the difference is that Microsoft never came off saying "well the game will look exactly like this" whereas Sony ended up saying "that is the game exactly as it will appear on your PS3".

Microsoft did show some in-game sequences, did show some CGI stuff to announce new games.. All in all it was a great start to X06 if you're a fan.

bigfurb

jjasper said:
People need to stop comparing this to Sony's confrence at TGS. They are 2 completely different things. Not saying Sony has great press confrences or anything but the TGS thing was not a press confrence.
Repeated so that the mentally challenged can read it agan slowly and let it marinate for a bit. KK's keynote address was not a "sony pressconference". It's not at all comparable to the pressconference MS just held. It's not comparable to the pressconference MS held at TGS. Do you know why? Because it was a keynote address, not a full on, media blowout "wow the crowd" pressconference. It was always meant to be basically a speech on Kutaragi's rather esoteric vision on the future of the PS3 platform. Those that were expecting anything more than that were either ignorant of this fact, or simply too stupid to understand the difference

rastex said:
I've been following gaming news pretty closely so I'm not familiar with any game that's getting a simultaneous release that has improvements on it. Extra light sources in COD3, whatever the hell that means, we'll see what it actually looks like when the game is released. And you'd trade 1080p in VT for online play? ANYBODY that does that... would just amaze me. I mean considering online play, it actually looks like (at this point) the 360 is getting the better versions :p

What do you expect from a dude with the name "sonycowboy".

chespace said:
Hmmm. :)

You're certainly very confident -- and that's great.

I'm certainly not saying that Microsoft is done, but I do believe that they've put out what they could and aren't "holding anything back". Both guys have games in development that we've not seen, but Microsoft's pipeline seems to have MUCH more visibility throughout 2007 than Sony's. And given the lack of news from Japanese developers into 2007 and from many of Sony's first party teams, I am thinking Sony has more in the tank.

But, feel free to add something to the conversation in terms of future development. We'd love to hear it! :D

- PS. Have you read my earlier posts? I'm absolutely floored by how incredible the press conference was. You guys have seriously got your shit together. If I was grading purely on the messages both sides are putting out there and the quality of that message, Microsoft would have already won long ago.

Mifune

Mehmber
bigfurb said:
Repeated so that the mentally challenged can read it agan slowly and let it marinate for a bit. KK's keynote address was not a "sony pressconference". It's not at all comparable to the pressconference MS just held. It's not comparable to the pressconference MS held at TGS. Do you know why? Because it was a keynote address, not a full on, media blowout "wow the crowd" pressconference. It was always meant to be basically a speech on Kutaragi's rather esoteric vision on the future of the PS3 platform. Those that were expecting anything more than that were either ignorant of this fact, or simply too stupid to understand the difference

So then Sony didn't have a press conference, which is worse.

Why does this always have to be brought up? Ken was there, the press was there, they showed some games. Who cares what it's called? It's still essentially a press conference. It sucked, but then the games spoke for themselves. Let's move on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
And you'd trade 1080p in VT for online play? ANYBODY that does that... would just amaze me.
I guess I'm amazing, then. :p

Nothing to do with this MS vs Sony stuff, but I completely wasted a subscription of Live Gold this year as I rarely played anything online. I just don't care for online gaming unless the game is TRULY fantastic. I enjoyed Halo 2 online, but the only 360 game I actually spent any time online with was Burnout Revenge...and that was only for a few days. Online play just doesn't matter to me.

If I play multiplayer, I MUCH prefer to do so with friends. It's difficult to get together for such things, I know, but it's worth it when the time comes.

What do you expect from a dude with the name "sonycowboy".
As as junior member, you wouldn't be expected to know, but sonycowboy actually has a very well rounded and fair opinion. The name means little.

dark10x said:

Nothing to do with this MS vs Sony stuff, but I completely wasted a subscription of Live Gold this year as I rarely played anything online. I just don't care for online gaming unless the game is TRULY fantastic. I enjoyed Halo 2 online, but the only 360 game I actually spent any time online with was Burnout Revenge...and that was only for a few days. Online play just doesn't matter to me.

If I play multiplayer, I MUCH prefer to do so with friends. It's difficult to get together for such things, I know, but it's worth it when the time comes.

As as junior member, you wouldn't be expected to know, but sonycowboy actually has a very well rounded and fair opinion. The name means little.

I guess I should have put /sarcasm at the end of that. I wasn't taking a jab at the dude I know who he is from ign and I read a lot of his posts, and think he's a great poster. I was just being sarcastic.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I think that there is a good 90% probability that you will be banned for this.

Once again it was sarcasm, a dude named "sonycowboy" defending a sony console, just sarcasm nothing more.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
sonycowboy said:
I'm certainly not saying that Microsoft is done, but I do believe that they've put out what they could and aren't "holding anything back". Both guys have games in development that we've not seen, but Microsoft's pipeline seems to have MUCH more visibility throughout 2007 than Sony's. And given the lack of news from Japanese developers into 2007 and from many of Sony's first party teams, I am thinking Sony has more in the tank.

But, feel free to add something to the conversation in terms of future development. We'd love to hear it! :D

- PS. Have you read my earlier posts? I'm absolutely floored by how incredible the press conference was. You guys have seriously got your shit together. If I was grading purely on the messages both sides are putting out there and the quality of that message, Microsoft would have already won long ago.

Yeah, thanks, a couple of items in the keynote today took me by surprise (the whole Peter Jackson/Wingnut game announcement). Halo Wars is a well known internal secret and has been for a while, I'm glad and surprised it didn't get out. The other exclusives... pretty good news for any Xbox 360 gamer.

The real surprise here, judging from the reactions on GAF, is that nobody seems to really care about the GTA IV online episodic exclusives. I mean, this is a TRUE exclusive in every sense of the word from gaming's BIGGEST franchise. Either GTA is on a downhill slide in popularity and is completely played out next gen, or it's just GAF and, as always, has little to do with reality. :)

Still, I'm not trying to tease here, as I have no idea what's in store, but I do know this: The Rolling Thunder campaign is not finished. It is going to continue for the remainder of the year... so there's probably stuff in the works. <shrug>

rastex

Banned
dark10x said:

And what if VT online is truly fantastic? In terms of potential online play signicantly increases the odds of making a great game than a resolution that 1% of 1% of people can take advantage of.

ya, sonycowboy is good people, he's just suffering a wee bit from cognitive dissonance :p

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
chespace said:
The real surprise here, judging from the reactions on GAF, is that nobody seems to really care about the GTA IV online episodic exclusives. I mean, this is a TRUE exclusive in every sense of the word from gaming's BIGGEST franchise. Either GTA is on a downhill slide in popularity and is completely played out next gen, or it's just GAF and, as always, has little to do with reality. :)
I certainly care, announcements like that are the deciding factor of where I'll be purchasing my multiplatform titles. Unless Rockstar works a deal with Sony for exclusive content on the PS3 (which seems likely, its Rockstar) then the 360 version for me. Two more light sources be damned.

pr0cs

chespace said:

the problem with GTAIV is that it's just so far away it would be difficult for anyone to get excited in either camp (Sony or MS). We haven't seen any screenshots, concept art, CGI or anything of that nature so couple that with a late 2007 release and exclusives just lose any WOW power.

I may have missed it, did you mention that Forza 2 is playable on the show floor ?

chespace said:

I think a lot of people have doubts about what this exclusivity means. Will the PS3 have alternative exclusive content of its own, for example. If so then it doesn't make good ammo for the system warz, therefore GAF is not interested.

Top Bottom