• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official X06 Barcelona (360) Summary Thread

JB1981

The two games I wanted to see most - Too Human and Mass Effect - were nowhere in sight? The Splinter Cell exclusive does nothing for me. I'm getting sick of GTA games (hopefully the new game shows something new) and for some reason I thought Gears of War looked terribly boring and repetitive in that demo. Still, Bioshock looks marvelous and Assassins Creed looks GREAT (though, I'll probably buy it for the PS3).

Btw, the new Sonic demo is nice as hell.

Thought the press conference was awesome.

Some other comments tho.

PGR4 - I think this should come next year. Dont get me wrong, but dont need another PGR so soon. I think they should have shown more Forza 2 at the press conference and announced another type of racer. Something off road maybe.

Was really hoping for another Crimson Skies :(

Was hoping for something from ID (Wolfenstein 360 or more).

I thought the Halo Wars trailer was awesome and although it wasnt the actual Halo 3 trailer, since Bungie is working with Ensemble studios I fully expect that the next thing we see about Halo 3 will look very much like this. It may be another CG trailer for Halo 3 or gameplay, but this is the look they are shooting for. In other words awesome.

Also MS has not shown thier hands fully. They said more Halo 3 by the end of the year. I doubt that they will just release something to the internet or magazine. Expect something around Halo/Halo 2 birthday. Cool thing would be videos/preview on Gears of War disc.

clashfan

I was not able to get to see the steam of the show but it seems like the concensus is that it was a solid but not spectacular show. I was hoping to see more original IP's. Does the 360 have enough to fight off the PS3? I hope so.

LJ11

PleoMax said:
You know...splinter Cell 5 being exclusive is pretty ****ing big.

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm pretty burned out on the Splinter Cell series. Ubi is turning into the Tony Hawk franchise, good game but we don't need one every other year.

PleoMax

Banned
clashfan said:
I was not able to get to see the steam of the show but it seems like the concensus is that it was a solid but not spectacular show. I was hoping to see more original IP's. Does the 360 have enough to fight off the PS3? I hope so.

What? First the show only started now...what finished was the conference, and the conference is even better than the e3 one, actually one of the best conferences in years.

raYne

LJ11 said:
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm pretty burned out on the Splinter Cell series. Ubi is turning into the Tony Hawk franchise, good game but we don't need one every other year.
Being the first next-gen Splinter Cell makes it more important than it being "another" Splinter Cell title. Especially after seeing Assassin's Creed!

Next-gen Splinter Cell... Mmmmm..

KeithFranklin said:
PGR4 - I think this should come next year. Dont get me wrong, but dont need another PGR so soon. I think they should have shown more Forza 2 at the press conference and announced another type of racer. Something off road maybe.
You do know that it isn't coming this year right? It's nowhere near complete... Hell, it wasn't even far enough underway to be shown non-CG.

Odysseus

Banned
OK, so from following this thread, it certainly seems as if the conference itself was entertaining. Microsoft has always been good at that, and Peter Moore appears to have gotten in some nice jabs at the competition. I'll watch it whenever I have the available time to do so.

What was announced and revealed, not so much. I don't care about any of it. I'm not thrilled about Halo brand extension within the gaming space (clarification there, as I love the novels), I'm not interested in a non-FPS Halo. RTS makes it sound more like Halo Bores. Who knows how the Peter Jackson game will come along, though. I'll keep an eye on it. I'll keep an eye on both of them, really, because I like Halo. I'm just not thrilled with either announcement.

Beyond that, I'm disappointed in the lack of new games (sans Halo stuff, of course. Oh, Banjo, I guess, although a 3D platformer does nothing for me and I'm not sure a cutesy platformer will sell in this day and age, but whatever). I guess the compelling titles I'm looking for will come along somewhere down the line. Meh. I need to watch the new Gears of War footage, though.

LJ11

raYne said:
Being the first next-gen Splinter Cell makes it more important than it being "another" Splinter Cell title.

Splinter Cell Double Agent is the first next-gen title. Maybe it wasn't built from the ground up with the next-gen in mind, but it's on next-gen systems regardless. Ubi is devalueing the franchise by putting out new versions every year. I hope the next Splinter Cell doesn't come out until late '08 or early '09.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
is today the day for all the announcements or are they actually gonna do more announcement stuff over the next 2 days?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
LJ11 said:
Splinter Cell Double Agent is the first next-gen title. Maybe it wasn't built from the ground up with the next-gen in mind, but it's on next-gen systems regardless. Ubi is devalueing the franchise by putting out new versions every year. I hope the next Splinter Cell doesn't come out until late '08 or early '09.

DA is like the Pandora to (hopefully) Chaos' SC5.

Dirtbag

Odysseus said:
OK, so from following this thread, it certainly seems as if the conference itself was entertaining. Microsoft has always been good at that, and Peter Moore appears to have gotten in some nice jabs at the competition. I'll watch it whenever I have the available time to do so.

What was announced and revealed, not so much. I don't care about any of it. I'm not thrilled about Halo brand extension within the gaming space (clarification there, as I love the novels), I'm not interested in a non-FPS Halo. RTS makes it sound more like Halo Bores. Who knows how the Peter Jackson game will come along, though. I'll keep an eye on it. I'll keep an eye on both of them, really, because I like Halo. I'm just not thrilled with either announcement.

Beyond that, I'm disappointed in the lack of new games (sans Halo stuff, of course. Oh, Banjo, I guess, although a 3D platformer does nothing for me and I'm not sure a cutesy platformer will sell in this day and age, but whatever). I guess the compelling titles I'm looking for will come along somewhere down the line. Meh. I need to watch the new Gears of War footage, though.

Some of you are impossible to please. Did you already forget last week? TGS anybody?
Add all that together and you've got a monster line-up... get over your jaded selves... all of you!

Mau ®

I gotta say MS exceed my very low expectations. At least they can host an entertainning conference, unlike Sony's TGS borefest.

In terms of games announcements... meh

PGR4, do these games even sell?

Splinter Cell exclusive from now on, LOL rite? Even if its true I dunno why MS pays for them, Splinter Cell has always been associated with the Xbox brand, multiplataform or not.

Halo RTS, while I wouldn't consider that as milking I don't see the big deal and is not even coming to Vista, which is a much more viable plataform for the title.

Bioshock being exclusive surprises me though, with all the leaks about the PS3 edition coming. I may end up getting a 360 for that.

Alan Wake is the game of the show. I've said it since Day 1, AW is gonna be AMAZING. I may also get a 360 for it too.... maybe...

raYne

LJ11 said:
How can something be considered a next-gen title if it isn't built for next-gen? Being on a next-gen system has nothing to do with it...

Double Agent is not next-gen no matter how you spin it.

Odysseus

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
Some of you are impossible to please. Did you already forget last week? TGS anybody?
Add all that together and you've got a monster line-up... get over your jaded selves... all of you!

It's compounded by TGS. Sony had an awesome TGS, Microsoft's was decent. That's expected, it's Japan, and X06 was just a few days away. X06... I mean, if you're interested in those games, great! For people not so interested, it's more fizzle, you know? I mean, it's what I expected, I didn't hype this event up to myself, but I would have loved to have been wrong.

PleoMax said:
You know...splinter Cell 5 being exclusive is pretty ****ing big.

Splinter Cell has fallen into BBB class material IMO.

The sales for each and every iteration have dropped significantly, and while the online component gave it a shot in the arm, it's far too familiar fare for them to be releasing it every year.

This franchise has passed. It will still sell OK, but the original was the game that captured people's attention and has gone down since.

raYne said:
You do know that it isn't coming this year right? It's nowhere near complete... Hell, it wasn't even far enough underway to be shown non-CG.

Yes I am aware of that. Even more reason to show another type of racer.

Kangu

Banned
So Bioshock just got announced for the PS3, and now it's X360 exclusive? Nice timing by MS on that one, real stomach punch for whoever got hyped for the PS3 release.

Uncle

davepoobond said:
is today the day for all the announcements or are they actually gonna do more announcement stuff over the next 2 days?

I doubt there will be any major annoucements coming. Hopefully lots of gameplay videos and impressions.

inthezone said:
PGR4, do these games even sell?

According to the conference, they've sold 4 million of them.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Angelcurio said:
Now, repeat after me:

"From now on, i wont ever, never, ever, get hyped for any game conference"

Seemed like there was a bit to get exicted about this time around, new shit actually go announced and so on and so forth.

LJ11

raYne said:
How can something be considered a next-gen title if it isn't built for next-gen? Being on a next-gen system has nothing to do with it...

Double Agent is not next-gen no matter how you spin it.

I'm not spinning shit, they keep spitting out Splinter Cell games every year. It gets retarded after a while. Ubi, IMO, is just trying to milk their cow, and whether you like it or not they've lost credibility with me. As the poster above stated, hopefully this new entry into the series is a bigger leap (gameplay wise) than I expect it to be.

Kangu said:
So Bioshock just got announced for the PS3, and now it's X360 exclusive? Nice timing by MS on that one, real stomach punch for whoever got hyped for the PS3 release.

I had to reread that as I thought you were saying it was announced for the PS3. There have been rumors, but I don't think it was every announced for release. And, you'll find many folks are taking this to be a timed exclusive for the Spring only.

Arsenal

Odysseus said:
What was announced and revealed, not so much. I don't care about any of it.

So you don't care about Bajo, Marvel MMO, Halo RTS, Bioshock, SC5, AC, GTA4, PRG4, Doom... this on top of TGS last week where we saw a suprising amount of RPG support.

Seriously, do you like games? Are you looking for Brain Training or something?

Honestly, the biggest dissappointment for me was that they didn't show more Mass Effect - which judging from your avatar might be something you were looking for as well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
sonycowboy said:
I had to reread that as I thought you were saying it was announced for the PS3. There have been rumors, but I don't think it was every announced for release. And, you'll find many folks are taking this to be a timed exclusive for the Spring only.

Why does this sort of thing come out of seemingly EVERY Microsoft Conference?

Arsenal

Odysseus said:
It's compounded by TGS. Sony had an awesome TGS, Microsoft's was decent. That's expected, it's Japan, and X06 was just a few days away. X06... I mean, if you're interested in those games, great! For people not so interested, it's more fizzle, you know? I mean, it's what I expected, I didn't hype this event up to myself, but I would have loved to have been wrong.

Sony had a boring keynote/conference to start the event (Afrika was their highlight?). Then made up for it with solid games being shown on the floor for the next couple days. X06 has just started with this conference and now we will get to see the impresions from people on the floor. You act like X06 is over or something when it is just beginning.

----

Banned
All in one conference...

MMO
RTS
FPS
RPG
Platformer
Racing
Survival Horror
Stealth Action
2D Classics
Original 2D Games
New IPs
Old IPs
Jade Raymond

Microsoft Delivers.

Plus Peetah quotes:
"Barcelonaton"
"Wait 5 days not 5 months"
"300 cars on disc"

Odysseus

Banned
Arsenal said:
So you don't care about Bajo, Marvel MMO, Halo RTS, Bioshock, SC5, AC, GTA4, PRG4, Doom...

Of all the games there, Halo Wars is the only one I'll even keep an eye on, and as stated earlier I'm not too thrilled about that one.

Arsenal said:
Sony had a boring keynote/conference to start the event (Afrika was their highlight?). Then made up for it with solid games being shown on the floor for the next couple days. X06 has just started with this conference and now we will get to see the impresions from people on the floor. You act like X06 is over or something when it is just beginning.

Well, yes, if there are games outside of the aforementioned titles on the showfloor, then yes I may change my tune just like everyone did at TGS. But since this is Microsoft and they traditionally don't play things close to the chest, I'm going to have to say we've seen all they deem worth seeing. At this event, anyway.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Odysseus said:
Of all the games there, Halo Wars is the only one I'll even keep an eye on, and as stated earlier I'm not too thrilled about that one.

Well they got a good developer behind Halo Wars.

Also, I will get you Peter Moore for Unleashing a new somthing-ton on the world.

sonycowboy said:

Timed exclusive? Just because BioShock comes out in the Spring, it doesn't mean it's a timed exclusive.

Here is the quote from Xbox.com:

"2K Games confirmed that BioShock , a first person shooter that will revolutionize the genre and forever change the expectations of gamers, will be released exclusively on Xbox 360 and Microsoft®Windows® next spring."

I don't think Peter Moore will make the same mistake twice after he got burned after the GTA4 announcement IMO.

Odysseus

Banned
Shard said:
Well they got a good developer behind Halo Wars.

Also, I will get you Peter Moore for Unleashing a new somthing-ton on the world.

It's still an RTS. :/

I admit I've never played one, unless you want to count Pikmin. But they just don't sound fun in the slightest. More like tedious micromanagement.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
huacst21 said:
Timed exclusive? Just because BioShock comes out in the Spring, it doesn't mean it's a timed exclusive.

Here is the quote from Xbox.com:

"2K Games confirmed that BioShock , a first person shooter that will revolutionize the genre and forever change the expectations of gamers, will be released exclusively on Xbox 360 and Microsoft®Windows® next spring."

I don't think Peter Moore will make the same mistake twice after he got burned after the GTA4 announcement IMO.

Well, Microsoft did make that mistake twice, I am looking at you Footballton.

Uncle

They were pretty clear when they anounced that Kane & Lynch will be a timed exclusive. Oh well, if it's not an exclusive, we'll hear about it soon I think.

Arsenal

Odysseus said:
Well, yes, if there are games outside of the aforementioned titles on the showfloor, then yes I may change my tune just like everyone did at TGS. But since this is Microsoft and they traditionally don't play things close to the chest, I'm going to have to say we've seen all they deem worth seeing. At this event, anyway.

Its not like Sony suddenly had a bunch of suprise games waiting on the floor, they just showed what we already knew they had. The only real suprise of TGS for me was White Knight. Microsoft isn't going to have a bunch of suprise things on the floor either, but we should definitely get a more in depth look into a lot of the newer games.

Top Bottom