• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official X06 Barcelona (360) Summary Thread

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Either GTA is on a downhill slide in popularity and is completely played out next gen
It might be, but we'll see. :p

How many people do you know that actually play through everything each GTA game has to offer, though? I mean, really. San Andreas was beyond large and I wouldn't have bothered with additional content had it been released as I never did see EVERYTHING the original had to offer anyways. It was just too damn huge. Unless they hold back on the retail release of GTA4, I doubt those extra missions will make a big difference. I also doubt they'll be anything more than missions based in the same locales the game is already going to be set in. If they brought new cities exclusively to 360, that would be a larger deal.

And what if VT online is truly fantastic? In terms of potential online play signicantly increases the odds of making a great game than a resolution that 1% of 1% of people can take advantage of.
I'm just not into online gaming these days, that's all. :p I'm in the minority, I know.

Mojovonio

Banned
chespace said:
Yeah, thanks, a couple of items in the keynote today took me by surprise (the whole Peter Jackson/Wingnut game announcement). Halo Wars is a well known internal secret and has been for a while, I'm glad and surprised it didn't get out. The other exclusives... pretty good news for any Xbox 360 gamer.

The real surprise here, judging from the reactions on GAF, is that nobody seems to really care about the GTA IV online episodic exclusives. I mean, this is a TRUE exclusive in every sense of the word from gaming's BIGGEST franchise. Either GTA is on a downhill slide in popularity and is completely played out next gen, or it's just GAF and, as always, has little to do with reality. :)

Still, I'm not trying to tease here, as I have no idea what's in store, but I do know this: The Rolling Thunder campaign is not finished. It is going to continue for the remainder of the year... so there's probably stuff in the works. <shrug>

I personally don't really care about GTA4 until I see it.

LevelNth

Banned
Well, I didn't get to actually watch the conference, but based on the announcements on Pg.1, this was definitely the best one we've seen this year in terms of new info being unveiled. That said, I'm kinda disappointed in the announcements, mainly because they're all very Xbox-centric. Nothing really sticks out as a legitimate or focused effort to expand the appeal of the platform, and since I'm not all that interested in a good deal of Xbox content, it's kind of disappointing for me personally.

Banjo is a nice announcement, but it's still coming from Rare (I know a lot of you guys like them, but I really don't; I don't mean to hate either, just IMO). And while I'm not the biggest Halo fan, I can see the excitement in the two new titles, but it just doesn't do much for me, especially since one is an RTS, on a console at that. The SC and Bioshock exclusive announcments were surprising, as I was kind of looking forward to Bioshock. I'm not sure if I was looking forward to it enough to actually get a 360 to play it, but it's another maybe to add the list.

Regardless, I'm glad MS had some stuff ready to go to counter Sony's TGS showing; it shows their dedication to the platform. I just hope they really start to branch out and diversify the portfolio of the system, and snag some more stuff that will directly appeal to me.

Pope Benedict XVI said:
I think a lot of people have doubts about what this exclusivity means. Will the PS3 have alternative exclusive content of its own, for example. If so then it doesn't make good ammo for the system warz, therefore GAF is not interested.

bingo

aaaaa0

chespace said:
Still, I'm not trying to tease here, as I have no idea what's in store, but I do know this: The Rolling Thunder campaign is not finished. It is going to continue for the remainder of the year... so there's probably stuff in the works. <shrug>

Oh yeah baby. NOVEMBER-TON CONFIRMED. :lol

chespace said:
The real surprise here, judging from the reactions on GAF, is that nobody seems to really care about the GTA IV online episodic exclusives. I mean, this is a TRUE exclusive in every sense of the word from gaming's BIGGEST franchise. Either GTA is on a downhill slide in popularity and is completely played out next gen, or it's just GAF and, as always, has little to do with reality. :)

I would say that people are generally excited about GTA IV still, but the episodic content isn't all that exciting until we know what it entails. Plus, "exclusive" is such an easy word to toss around. If RockStar makes two different GTA downloads, one is for 360 and the other is for PS3, aren't they both "exclusive" to their respective consoles? To me that's not exciting. It's kind of expected. On the other hand, if the 360 gets downloadable content/chapters, and the PS3 gets none, it's a bullet point to trumpet. But with GTA IV more than a year away yet, and the DLC months after that, it's pretty hard to get excited about it. Especially considering we haven't seen anything from the game yet.

Arsenal

chespace said:

Most people think there will be similar (if different) content also available for downlaod on the PS3. We also don't know how much this content costs or if it will be 400 point horse armor or what. Not enough details really. Plus, as you hinted, GTA is too mainstream to be cool at this point on GAF. Of course, most of us will buy it, but most of us won't admit to enjoying it :)

chespace said:

Still waiting on you and Sony to just lay all your cards out on the table. Guess it doesn't work like that though :)

Owzers

I love how Microsoft is delivering game focused press conferences because as a GAMER that's what I want to see. Closing with a big game is also very important and another thing MS is delivering with, Halo 3 at E3 2006 and now Halo Wars. Microsoft needs to work on not showing so much "needless" CG though. For example: Halo Wars CG = awesome. PGR 4 CG = boring. All the complaining about _____ not being shown at the conference needs to stop, MS can't show EVERYTHING in an hour because there are so many high profile games coming and that's a good thing. The whole " it's just timed exclusive" is really annoying as well. Who cares if a game comes out on another system later? That's just good for 3rd parties and gamers who can't afford more than one system. The initial excitement for a game is at first release, not a year down the road too and it will bring attention to whatever console it first comes out to with marketing dollars and a 360 logo at the end of commercials.

LevelNth said:
Well, I didn't get to actually watch the conference, but based on the announcements on Pg.1, this was definitely the best one we've seen this year in terms of new info being unveiled. That said, I'm kinda disappointed in the announcements, mainly because they're all very Xbox-centric. Nothing really sticks out as a legitimate or focused effort to expand the appeal of the platform, and since I'm not all that interested in a good deal of Xbox content, it's kind of disappointing for me personally.

Banjo is a nice announcement, but it's still coming from Rare (I know a lot of you guys like them, but I really don't; I don't mean to hate either, just IMO). And while I'm not the biggest Halo fan, I can see the excitement in the two new titles, but it just doesn't do much for me, especially since one is an RTS, on a console at that. The SC and Bioshock exclusive announcments were surprising, as I was kind of looking forward to Bioshock. I'm not sure if I was looking forward to it enough to actually get a 360 to play it, but it's another maybe to add the list.

Regardless, I'm glad MS had some stuff ready to go to counter Sony's TGS showing; it shows their dedication to the platform. I just hope they really start to branch out and diversify the portfolio of the system, and snag some more stuff that will directly appeal to me.

Name some examples of what you're looking for.

threeball

Banned
Hmm... this conference underwhelmed me. I guess its just because it was more of the same.. show a bunch of games, that will have HD graphics, more features, more flair, more style, more to it, but the same kind of game that it represents. Example: Forza 2. It will have HD graphics, more cars, tracks, more detail, style, flair, but it will still be a racer and play just like it did on the Xbox. It seems that they were trying to wow the fans with quantitiy. But we didn't see anything new, anything that inspires us all to imagine...

Maybe I was just spoiled by the Wii conference because they showed us completely new things that we have never really seen before, but at the same time held some of it back so we can imagine and come up with our own conclusions. Example: Wii Channel, Wii Connect 24, Wii Remote... I don't know. Microsoft said "Here it is, you all should know what it is, and this is what we are offering" while Nintendo showed their stash but at the same time didn't explain it and left that up to us. I think Nintendo's strategy of holding some info back and letting the fans imagine and guess what everything will be like is better since it helps build anticipation.

On the other hand, Microsoft has already released their console so they really can't do any of that. But I was basically looking for something new. But in all reality we just got a bunch of sequels and info on games we already knew about. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but its all kind of underwhelming and gives a "been there, done that" feel to the conference.

threeball

Banned
LevelNth said:

That is exactly what I was trying to say on my post, it seems that they are trying to continue to build and capitalize on the strengths of the Xbox rather than branching out and trying new paths.

dark10x

Maybe I was just spoiled by the Wii conference because they showed us completely new things that we have never really seen before
I knew you were going to go there and I'm going to have to call you on it...

Consider what was sacrificed, I'd say there isn't NEARLY enough in the way of NEW and UNIQUE ideas set for release on Wii. The vast majority of the software seemed to bring more of the same...with waggle stickied on.

chespace said:

Well, we've known this awhile, but you're right, it hasn't really gotten much analysis.

Assuming Sony doesn't manage to get some other piece of GTA exclusive themselves or truly take advantage of the hardware (Blu-Ray, graphics)), then I'd expect this to give the 360 an unsurmountable advantage for this game.

If they look the same and play the same, but the 360 version will keep giving and giving, I'd buy that one without a doubt.

jjasper

The reason I personally don't care about the GTA4 stuff is along the lines of what has been said earlier. I don't know many people that actually play the game all the way through and try to do everything (my brother is the exception) most people I know just put the cheat codes in and blow everything to hell, which they don't need the anything extra to do that.

I personally have owned 3, VC, and SA and never come anywhere close to doing all of the missions.

Edit: I like Nintendo and all but what the hell did they show off at their PR event that was "unique"?

dark10x said:
I knew you were going to go there and I'm going to have to call you on it...

Consider what was sacrificed, I'd say there isn't NEARLY enough in the way of NEW and UNIQUE ideas set for release on Wii. The vast majority of the software seemed to bring more of the same...with waggle stickied on.

Putting Far Cry on a Nintendo system is "New" and "Unique".

Vrolokus said:
Way to miss the point.

should i have said "people buy consoles for 'multiplatform' games?" instead?

people buy consoles for their exclusives. whichever console's exclusives appeal to a person, he/she will buy it -- whether it's the PS3, 360, Wii, or any combination of the 3.

maybe it's just me, but i buy consoles for their exclusives, and then decide multiplatform releases on a game by game basis, not the other way around.

Tieno

I really liked the conference, they announced (albeit with CG) a buch of stuff that I can't wait for.

Halo Wars
Banjo
PGR4
Peter Jackson-Halo interactieve movie-game
Other PJ project
Marvel MMO

I can't believe that they're not hyping Mass Effect more...This deserves to be in the press conference. Really excited about Gears, it looked really smooth as far as I could tell from the stream. What they showed was a bit short though. Can't wait for more HD footage from the showfloor and other stuff from there!

rastex

Banned
threeball said:
That is exactly what I was trying to say on my post, it seems that they are trying to continue to build and capitalize on the strengths of the Xbox rather than branching out and trying new paths.

uh... right. I totally agree with this, games like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Trusty Bell, Culdecept Saga were just saturating the original Xbox.

Ostrich%20head%20in%20sand.jpg

Manic D

Either GTA is on a downhill slide in popularity and is completely played out next gen, or (snip)
Saint's Row is a factor. I'm enjoying that right now, and am looking forward to that sequel as much as GTA, to be honest.

Funny how people all of a sudden think GTA isn't a big deal once it becomes an Xbox 360 title ;)

The game will be huge. Rockstar is very smart; I'm sure they could have shown something today, but it wouldn't have looked refined. They're waiting to blow people's minds.

LevelNth

Banned
Oh and another thing I wanted to mention. MS really needs to lower their ass raping exhange rate for the 360 in Canada, or they're going to look like idiots this Fall.

20GB X360 w/ HD-DVD drive = $719.98

20GB PS3 w/ Blu-Ray + HDMI = $549.99
60GB PS3 w/ Blu-Ray + HDMI = $659.99

=/

dark10x

PhoenixDark said:
Funny how people all of a sudden think GTA isn't a big deal once it becomes an Xbox 360 title ;)

The game will be huge. Rockstar is very smart; I'm sure they could have shown something today, but it wouldn't have looked refined. They're waiting to blow people's minds.
I think it will change once they show the game. It's hard to get excited above something you've never seen. Will they truly aim high on this one? We'll see...

Kolgar

Solid, if not spectacular, conference.

Bioshock exclusive? Great, had my eye on that before buying a 360.

Banjo? Not for me, but it may help to expand the console's appeal.

PGR4, fully expected.

Was looking for MS to drop a MEGA exclusivity bomb - but this was a good showing anyway.

Lots of great games coming to this platform.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
PhoenixDark said:

Nah, I've never been a GTA fan from the get-go.

It's been mentioned by someone else already, but you can tell this was an amazing conference when all the announcements were known beforehand and I was still glued to the stream.

R&R

I just dont get what is wrong with some people here...its like no matter what Microsoft does its never enough. They just had an amazing conference with announcements/trailers/footage from amazing games...and its still meh to some. And it had GAMES...did I mention games...those things we play you know? Oh sorry I forgot - this is GAF...specsheets FTW.

chespace said:
Yeah, thanks, a couple of items in the keynote today took me by surprise (the whole Peter Jackson/Wingnut game announcement). Halo Wars is a well known internal secret and has been for a while, I'm glad and surprised it didn't get out. The other exclusives... pretty good news for any Xbox 360 gamer.

one things is gta is a long game, and by the time you are finished, you dont really want more, my experience at least...another is for me personally, Im waiting on the fence withthe game, I mean they need new things, because the core gameplay is getting old...I could probably find out some infor on the game if I wanted though

peaze

Kuroyume

Banned
Kolgar said:
Solid, if not spectacular, conference.

Bioshock exclusive? Great, had my eye on that before buying a 360.

Banjo? Not for me, but it may help to expand the console's appeal.

PGR4, fully expected.

Was looking for MS to drop a MEGA exclusivity bomb - but this was a good showing anyway.

Lots of great games coming to this platform.

SPLINTER CELL?

HELLO?

Mrbob

Some of the announcements were pretty good, but what is with all the CGI trailers? Probably my biggest disappointment there. What happened to MS mantra of showing real footage? It seems like Sony and MS have flipped positions, where Sony is showing actual games now and MS is showing CGI trailers.

Also, the emphasis on Windows/360 for MS is making this somewhat of a bitch for me. They are basically fragmenting their own base in a way, as I'm struggling now to decide if I go the windows route or 360 route for upcoming games.

Oh and the GTA4 annoucment isn't making waves because people would rather play Crackdown instead. ;)

snatches

sonycowboy said:
Best show I've seen as well since Sony's E3 2005. ;)

Of course, Sony's was a flat out lie, but at the time we were all floored. Plus seeing Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, FFXIII, Killzone, I-8, F1, etc, etc was unbelievabe.

This one is awesome for different reasons. I still don't see the graphics of any game other than GOW approaching the best we've seen from the PS3, but the depth, quality, and laser focus on the games is incredible. They just really seem to get it from a gamer standpoint, whereas Sony seems to have lost it somewhat.

I want to see games, actual gameplay, and maybe a few related HW/services announcements. This press conference was simple, direct, and all about the games. And expanding the Halo universe and sewing up some loose exclusives just shows a very, very aggresive Microsoft.

The 360 just put their stake in the ground finally, IMO. They've shown exclusives that you've got to have and an attitude that they're going to go toe-to-toe with Sony.

They've still got a problem in Japan, with the absolute top franchises, and with the overall graphics comparisons, but they've come a long way from TGS.

BRAVO MICROSOFT. MY HAT IS OFF AND MY WALLET WILL BE OPENED.

BTW, did they announce any bundles? (Which sucks for me, but is good for the platform)

Nice post. That about sums it up. And as far as bungles go, it looks like I might have done it again. The GRAW bundle shipping to me next week might indeed be a Canada exclusive, like the PGR bundle currently available.

It's so odd that MS has bundles in all major territories but the U.S., they must have something planned that they haven't talked about as of yet.

PleoMax

Banned
Thats what i call a press conference. Have you seen the images from Alan Awake? Holy shit, and Assassins creed OMG!!!!

And GOW still one of the best looking games if not the best around.

jjasper said:
Thanks I am sure it is old news but I somehow missed it.

you're welcome. :)

PhoenixDark said:

i've never cared for any GTA at all (i think i'm in a very small minority), but i've believed all along that next-gen GTA will be as big a jump as from GTA/GTA2 to GTA3, if not bigger. i fully expect Rockstar to blow away next-gen and hope people enjoy the game, no matter which console they choose to play it on.

R&R said:
I just dont get what is wrong with some people here...its like no matter what Microsoft does its never enough. They just had an amazing conference with announcements/trailers/footage from amazing games...and its still meh to some. And it had GAMES...did I mention games...those things we play you know? Oh sorry I forgot - this is GAF...specsheets FTW.

I haven't gone through everything, but what exactly was so amazing about it? The fact that they're starting to farm out the Halo franchise? I'm serious here, nothing they announced screams "Megaton" to me the way some of you Xbox fans are acting.

Razoric

Banned
Also, to Che:
It has nothing to do with GTA losing it's appeal and everything to do with lack of GTA4 information. Right now there is barely any hype for the game because it's over a year away and we havent seen jack on it yet. This DLC exclusive news will become more and more important as hype ramps up for the game.

Right now I don't give a shit about the exclusive content for 360 because I don't even know what the game will have / be like, so I can't possibly fathom what having "episodic content" even means in regards to this game. Extra missions? More parts of the city? etc

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dark10x said:
I'm just not into online gaming these days, that's all. :p I'm in the minority, I know.
On GAF, maybe, but amongst all console gamers, it looks like you're still squarely in the majority.

Top Bottom