• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds Next Gen Port/Remaster announced, titled “The Spacer’s Choice Edition”

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I thought this run okay on my aging PC after I reduced a few settings here and there but I see people seem to think it runs like shit?

I'm gonna try the original version to compare myself but really it was fine save for some Bethesda-game-esque hitching as stuff loaded in (I'm on HDD). If the original is better then it should be flawless for me.

So yeah, it only cost me £2 with some steam credit. It looks nice but it doesn’t perform well at all. Running it on a high end rig and it doesn’t consistently hit 60fps on very high settings at 1440p. I didn’t even bother with Ultra since it would only be worse.

This is by no means a reasonable method to achieve a higher framerate in this game, but I found that lowering 3D resolution to around 70% and dropping the visual effect setting to high pushed my framerate up to around 100fps. I don’t really notice much of a difference personally so I think I’ll just play it that way until there are proper fixes.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Probably the most forgettable game I ever put time into. I recall not being able to remember any of it, like a week after moving onto a new game.

I guess that memory stands out because the game was getting praised upon release. I think we were in a major drought of new releases or something at the time.

kuncol02

Another broken port/remaster by Virtous? They are marked as co-developer of PC version of remaster on steam and made totally broken Switch version earlier. Are they credited anywhere on consoles?

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Probably the most forgettable game I ever put time into. I recall not being able to remember any of it, like a week after moving onto a new game.

I guess that memory stands out because the game was getting praised upon release. I think we were in a major drought of new releases or something at the time.
I remember it was a toss up between this and something else when it was released…sadly I chose this…:-(

STARSBarry

Grounded is one of my favourite games of all time and Pentiment was a pinnacle of storytelling in a videogame. Both PoE games were pretty good. I don't know what you are talking about.

Grounded is my favorite survival game since Subnautica, it just oozes polish and character.

Thanks for the shout out on pentiment I completely missed that release.

Filben

Wow, just reading the reviews on Steam and performance seem to be abysmal. Many people with a fucking 4080 or even 4090 struggle to get good performance, not even acceptable performance.

This is a 13900K, with memory at 8000MT/s and an RTX4090. It still can't do much more than 30 fps at 4K.

Yeah it’s not good. I’m going to keep the upgrade because it cost me less than £5 and I’m hopeful that it’ll be fixed. I left a bad review though after playing it for 20 minutes because I think it’s the only way of getting through to these companies.

STARSBarry

Yeah it’s not good. I’m going to keep the upgrade because it cost me less than £5 and I’m hopeful that it’ll be fixed. I left a bad review though after playing it for 20 minutes because I think it’s the only way of getting through to these companies.

Sorry to say that refunding is how you get through, they got their money if the port is shit or not no longer matters to them.

winjer

A bad review is like a slap in the hand. A refund is when it really starts to hurt them.

*sigh*

All I can say after buying the PC "upgrade" (laughs out loud) last night and trying the game on my i5-13600KF / 32 GB / 10 GB RTX 3080 / Windows 11 Pro 22H2 PC which previously ran the game at around 80-120 fps (averaging around 100 fps) at maxed out (Ultra) 1440p settings is that this game is a mess and nothing more than a lazy cash-grab. This new "improved" (starts crying from laughing so hard) now runs at 48 fps during the opening section on the same settings as before, only now the game has a horrible jerky feel to it and some instances where the framerate just tanks into the teens while turning (#StutterStruggle?). If I enable Dynamic Resolution Scaling then the game runs above 60 fps but still feels horrible to play due to micro-stuttering. This is a disaster but it should come as no surprise to any one playing DX12 Unreal Engine 4 games on PC.

As if this isn't bad enough, the PS5 and Xbox Series X versions are also extremely poor and cannot achieve a locked 60 fps in their Performance modes which kind of defeats the whole point of re-releasing this game in the first place. The PC didn't really need a remaster of a 4 year-old game anyway and the "improvements" (any are debatable at this point) could easily have been patched in to the original game... for free. The only good thing about this whole sad affair is that the original has not been replaced by this (in my opinion) inferior version and can still be played. I would suggest everyone on PC request a fund and just stick with the original game until the developers fix this mess, if they ever do.

Last edited:

it was praised because it was an obsidian game, which meant that it was impossible that it was awful...

LOL holy cow, Obsidian is apologizing on behalf of Virtuos for the crappy port:

I am sorry that you all have been experiencing performance issues with The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition. I understand how frustrating this can be, and I assure you the team at Private Division is working on getting a patch out as soon as possible. When we have more information about that patch we'll be sure to let folks know.

If you run into any other issues while playing the game, please feel free to submit a support ticket to Private Division. They are the dedicated support for The Outer Worlds, and we're doing our best to funnel all of the information to them, so they can find solutions as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your patience and understanding!

via reddit

Top Bottom