• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds Next Gen Port/Remaster announced, titled “The Spacer’s Choice Edition”

Captiosus

I can get the upgrade for $9.99 and it says that it works with the Game Pass version that I have installed.

KuUxAFf.png

I can find upgrades on the MS Store for games I don't own that are listed as buyable despite not owning the game. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1&2 Next Gen upgrade, for example. The store listing doesn't mean much.

That is... inexcusably poor. Especially for a paid upgrade to a 3 year old game. Basically paying for some higher end textures and oversaturated lighting. Big OOF.

Last edited:

Vasto

I can find upgrades on the MS Store for games I don't own that are listed as buyable despite not owning the game. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1&2 Next Gen upgrade, for example. The store listing doesn't mean much.

Tony Hawk is not on Game Pass.

Comandr

My biggest complaint with this, aside from actually charging for this, is just the awful new colors. Why is the saturation dialed up to a hundred?

fermcr

Played the game on release and it was quite fun. Looking forward for the sequel.

... but DAMN! The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition is infested with negative reviews on Steam.

Last edited:

GHG

PC version is ass and the console versions don't perform all too well either apparently.

I was tempted to get the original version and upgrade since keys are now cheaper from 3rd party stores, but not anymore.

Vasto

You do not have to own the base game.

1. It is a Xbox 1st Party game so it will always be on Game Pass.
2. Just purchase The Outer Worlds Expansion Pass for $20. This will automatically give you The Spacers Choice Edition.
3. Buy The Outer Worlds Spacers Choice Edition Upgrade for $9.99
4. Download The Outer Worlds Spacers Choice Edition

That is a total of $30 spent and now you have the full game with all the dlcs and the new upgrade for $30.

Think About It GIF by Identity

GHG

You do not have to own the base game.

1. It is a Xbox 1st Party game so it will always be on Game Pass.
2. Just purchase The Outer Worlds Expansion Pass for $20. This will automatically give you The Spacers Choice Edition.
3. Buy The Outer Worlds Spacers Choice Edition Upgrade for $9.99
4. Download The Outer Worlds Spacers Choice Edition

That is a total of $30 spent and now you have the full game with all the dlcs and the new upgrade for $30.

Spending $30 on DLC for a game that you don't own. Genius.

The worst part is that the romance plot seems so out of place in this game. Like they started with this overwhelmingly cynical & satirical story, then the Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion team added Parvati’s quest to meet their propaganda quota.

Why else would they even put this ridiculous quest in the game:
- Parvati gets a crush on some female engineer
- she confides in you that she’s a lesbian but she’s also asexual and she’s worried that her crush won’t be okay with that
- you encourage her to ask her crush out on a date anyway and explain her feelings
- she goes ahead with it and everything works out perfectly fine with no conflict
Totally forgot about the asexual part. Playing devil’s advocate: maybe what they were going for was a situation so ridiculous it was supposed to be funny in a cute way or something? Whatever the case I think I did every quest and side quest in the game and couldn’t remember any of them if I had a gun to my head. The priest guy was pretty funny though and I think they did a decent job characterizing Nyoka’s personality; I think they were the two characters I brought with me most of the time.

What crackhead at Microsoft/Obsidian decided to charge $60 for what is essentially a mildly made-over GOTY Edition?

I'll buy this when it's on sale for $30, aka what the original price should've been.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Totally forgot about the asexual part. Playing devil’s advocate: maybe what they were going for was a situation so ridiculous it was supposed to be funny in a cute way or something? Whatever the case I think I did every quest and side quest in the game and couldn’t remember any of them if I had a gun to my head. The priest guy was pretty funny though and I think they did a decent job characterizing Nyoka’s personality; I think they were the two characters I brought with me most of the time.
I don’t know man. It seemed like the game was trying so, so hard to make you like her. Maybe some purple-hair thought it would be clever to subvert our expectations. Make some super-likeable cutesy lesbian female character for the gamers to simp for, then give her a romance subplot that involves her talking about how much she doesn’t want sex and culminates in a totally boring platonic evening out with her love interest.

Vasto

This isn't the flex you think it is.

Permanent ownership for the whole thing can be had for less:

But good luck and I hope enjoy perpetual monthly payments in order to access your DLC.

I do not buy games on STEAM or use sites that sell keys. Also dont care about ownership.

WTF pays a montly sub for Game Pass? Is that what you do? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Season 5 Lol GIF by Real Husbands of Hollywood

GHG

I do not buy games on STEAM or use sites that sell keys. Also dont care about ownership.

WTF pays a montly sub for Game Pass? Is that what you do? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Season 5 Lol GIF by Real Husbands of Hollywood

So your subscription is free huh?

You can twist yourself in knots all you want but the fact is the game plus all the DLC + the upgrade can be had for cheaper than what you're paying for the DLC alone while not owning the game. Your choice of platform/storefront is really not my problem.

And for what it's worth, the screenshots I provided for prices are from official stores and the keys are generated by the publisher, so that means they get a direct cut of the money:

https://gg.deals/pack/the-outer-worlds-non-mandatory-corporate-sponsored-bundle/

https://gg.deals/dlc/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-upgrade/

Like I said, good luck.

b0uncyfr0

I think spacers choice has a vram issue. Might explain the super shitty performance. It easily eats up 20gb memory on my 6600xt which only has 8gb vram.

Vasto

So your subscription is free huh?

You can twist yourself in knots all you want but the fact is the game plus all the DLC + the upgrade can be had for cheaper than what you're paying for the DLC alone while not owning the game. Your choice of platform/storefront is really not my problem.

And for what it's worth, the screenshots I provided for prices are from official stores and the keys are generated by the publisher, so that means they get a direct cut of the money:

https://gg.deals/pack/the-outer-worlds-non-mandatory-corporate-sponsored-bundle/

https://gg.deals/dlc/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-upgrade/

Like I said, good luck.

I never said that what I did what the cheapest way to get that game and I dont care what those sites say I am not using them.

You still have not answered my question though. You pay montly for Game Pass? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

GHG

I never said that what I did what the cheapest way to get that game and I dont care what those sites say I am not using them.

You still have not answered my question though. You pay montly for Game Pass? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So now you suddenly don't care about saving money? That's a shame, it looked like you thought you had it all figured out here:

I can get the upgrade for $9.99 and it says that it works with the Game Pass version that I have installed.

KuUxAFf.png

That went from $10 to $30 real fast. Unfortunate.

And no I'm not paying for gamepass at all. I'd rather just pay for and own the games I actually want to play rather than pay exorbitant amounts of money on DLC for games I only have access to via a subscription.

But that's just me.

Last edited:

Vasto

So now you suddenly don't care about saving money? That's a shame, it looked like you thought you had it all figured out here:

That went from $10 to $30 real fast. Unfortunate.

And no I'm not paying for gamepass at all. I'd rather just pay for and own the games I actually want to play rather than pay exorbitant amounts of money for DLC for games I only have access to via a subscription.

But that's just me.

I do not talk to people that dont have Game Pass.

No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN

Kamina

Golden Boy
I missed the fact that it doest work on the Gamepass version on Xbox, probably needs the DLC too or something, so i refunded it because that’s bullshit.

Captiosus

I missed the fact that it doest work on the Gamepass version on Xbox, probably needs the DLC too or something, so i refunded it because that’s bullshit.
It definitely needs the DLC, and Private Division said it wasn't supposed to work with the Game Pass version but apparently it is at the moment. People with the expansion pass for the Game Pass version of the game are, for some reason, currently able to upgrade to the Spacer's Choice edition despite not owning the base game. The best I can figure is that it's because the backend can't differentiate between a disk copy and the game pass copy.

That said, the absolutely atrocious performance of the game on all platforms is enough for me to stick to the base version running in backward compatibility mode on XSX. It won't be a shiny and glowy with a bunch of new neon signs but it'll run much better.

We happy few was published by Gearbox
Correct. I was replying to someone who said that TOW would always be on Gamepass because it was made by an Xbox first party studios. However, TOW wasn't published by MS but by Private Division, just like We Happy Few was published by GB. So, just because the game was made by an Xbox first party, if it's published by someone else there is no guarantees that it will always be on Gap, just like we saw with We happy Few.

Reactions: GHG

StereoVsn

Played the game on release and it was quite fun. Looking forward for the sequel.

... but DAMN! The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition is infested with negative reviews on Steam.

Well, that's a dumpster fire. New PC releases keep going great!

kuncol02

What crackhead at Microsoft/Obsidian decided to charge $60 for what is essentially a mildly made-over GOTY Edition?

I'll buy this when it's on sale for $30, aka what the original price should've been.
It's not MS published game for god's sake. Remaster is not even made by
No always. We Happy Few is an xbox first party game, yet it was taken off Gamepass.
Neither is first party game. OW was published by Take2 and We Happy Few by Gearbox.

let's be real here when's the last time obsidian made a great game?
New Vegas right, ever since then it's just been low quality bullshit
Grounded was and still is a hit. It had over 15 million players earlier this year.
Outer Worlds got a meta of 85, which is a high grade.
Pentament got a meta of 88, which is a very good reviewed game.

Just because you might not like their type of games, or don't like that they are owned by the console you don't like, doesn't mean they haven't produced good games.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
It definitely needs the DLC, and Private Division said it wasn't supposed to work with the Game Pass version but apparently it is at the moment. People with the expansion pass for the Game Pass version of the game are, for some reason, currently able to upgrade to the Spacer's Choice edition despite not owning the base game. The best I can figure is that it's because the backend can't differentiate between a disk copy and the game pass copy.

That said, the absolutely atrocious performance of the game on all platforms is enough for me to stick to the base version running in backward compatibility mode on XSX. It won't be a shiny and glowy with a bunch of new neon signs but it'll run much better.
It definitely didnt work on my Gamepass version without DLC, so yeah.
I’ve also read that buying the DLC might resolve the issue. But that would be 30 bucks total for something that may or may not actually to work, as the upgrade states it doesnt work with the Gamepass version.
Bullshit really, especially considering the in-game performance.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Any word on how the PS5 version fairs yet? Would be kinda hilarious if Microsofts own studio botched the Xbox version but not the PS5 version 🤣

No VGtech or anything, but based on what's available, looks like it's a poor performing port all round. Lots of drops to low 40's just in the first few minutes after gaining control.

Video courtesy of Gamersyde, which is generally a great source for high quality capture.

Top Bottom