• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

Its implementation is pretty amazing. Anarchy will always be defacto method. Trolls will always go for democracy into start9

Unless a majority of users want democracy to finish a fiendish puzzle, democracy will just be start9 and anarchy will take over in a heartbeat.

For democracy to be truly in use, twitch would have to agree to use it.

Wait. I thought Anarchy people were Start9-ing in protest. If trolls are doing it as well it's not good for anybody.

edit: I had an idea, that was not like the demo system, that when it got tough, TWO consecutive inputs would count for one input. Increase it to three and four if it needed it. I think it would really work, what do you guys think?

vocab

Well this is dumb. The only fix that was needed was a start filter, and now we have shit. This is how saltybet died too.

People in here yesterday were suggesting than if the crowds died down then it would be easier to get through game corner. Basically, less trashy and troll inputs and more organized action. So how is that any different than the democracy mechanic?

Timeaisis

That's what you're doing, democracy or not.

Not at all. Democracy is just like a regular playthrough. The majority knows what to do, and it's done. With the original system, anything goes. And every input counts. There are blunders, fuck-ups, missteps all along the way but it's that much more exciting when something good does happen because somehow the people co-ordinated. Because it's tens of thousands of voices all commanding Red simultaneously. Democracy is just making the same slow decisions one regular person would make in a regular play-through. I've seen that. I've played that game before. I haven't played this one, though.

Trey

Nonsense. Maybe it would have taken a week. So what. That´s what this experiment was about. Of course you can play through the game if you plan every move. There are let´s plays for that.

we're planning moves now. The point of this all is mass progress and coordination.

There's RNGs if you want to see random chaos.

Cirruss

Great. Democracy is just going to be villainized now, so even if they remove it today and implement it when we're stuck for a long time again, everyone will just START9 throughout Victory Road.

Great.

No it won't, it will work when the stream requires it. A few people tried to start9 during the maze but they were in the minority as most people wanted to progress through to the end of the maze.

The reason start9 won here is because there was no reason to switch to democracy since there wasn't a major obstacle blocking anarchy from progressing that would unite all the players.

ErichWK

I dunno if this has been posted. Thread moves really fast.

Eb6KwLm.jpg

_hekk05

Banned
Wait. I thought Anarchy people were Start9-ing in protest. If trolls are doing it as well it's not good for anybody.

Its a little of both, but most anarchists will switch to voting anarchy instead of playing the game, outnumbering the democracy players who are trying and the trolls start9ing.

It would be cool if you set your political choice and it stayed as long as you were in chat. So I could be marked with anarchy and as long as I was in chat, it counted as a vote in that direction. So each viewer can only influence it 1 point at any given time. As soon as I want to go democracy, I type that in chat and I switch alliances.

Limit

Not at all. We can plead with them to vote as we wish, remonstrate with them for not voting as we wish, and do any manner of things except coerce them to vote as we wish. Anarchy implies lack of hierarchy, not lack of communication or emotion.

There is barely any pleading and whatever remonstration there is filled with language of us vs. them. There is no us. There is no them. Each individual is making choice to go one way or another for his/her respective reasons. I only see stereotyping of people who are voting for democracy as that they want no fun. You don't get to decide what fun is for someone else, let alone a whole collection of people who voted the same way.

Seiru

Banned
So we're never going back to total anarchy? Well, it was fun while it lasted, I guess.

It's sad that he doesn't even like the memes his stream has been giving birth to.

are you people honestly taking that fake image seriously

please be kidding

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So we're never going back to total anarchy? Well, it was fun while it lasted, I guess.

It's sad that he doesn't even like the memes his stream has been giving birth to.

again, what makes you think that's real?

Ugh. Twitch is so dumb.

Every channel I ever view is just spamming horrible inside jokes I never get. It was an interesting idea while it lasted...

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Isn't this anarchy/democracy system effectively reducing the number of people actually playing the game? If most people are voting for one or the other, then the number of people actually entering inputs is much lower than before.

Man, this whole thing is like a microcosm of society. Now everyone is so focused on getting "their way" it is impeding forward progress. I think this new voting system is interesting. It's like a new ledge.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
There is barely any pleading and whatever remonstration there is filled with language of us vs. them. There is no us. There is no them. Each individual is making choice to go one way or another for his/her respective reasons. I only see stereotyping of people who are voting for democracy as that they want no fun. You don't get to decide what fun is for someone else, let alone a whole collection of people who voted the same way.

Right now the system just isn't working. As soon as democracy wins, all the democrats stop typing 'democracy' and start trying to play, so it inevitably swings back to anarchy. Vice versa for when anarchy wins. People who want a different system have such different objectives to those with the system they want, that all that happens is chat oscillates between anarchy and democracy rapidly, with no actual progress being achieved. The only way to escape this is to subvert the system.

#start9

_hekk05

Banned
Ugh. Twitch is so dumb.

Every channel I ever view is just spamming horrible inside jokes I never get. It was an interesting idea while it lasted...

You just need to go deeper.

Seriously if you don't make the effort to understand the inner workings of a group, why are you even joining them?

My god, Anarchy people are some of the whiniest people I have ever heard. Democracy is amazing for when were stuck at a spot for over 20 hours like yesterday. It really is only active during that small period of time with the rest being Anarchy. So just deal with it.

Trey

Isn't this anarchy/democracy system effectively reducing the number of people actually playing the game? If most people are voting for one or the other, then the number of people actually entering inputs is much lower than before.

Therefore a new meta is made. If you're not voting for the overarching system, your individual button presses have more power as there are less people pressing buttons too. Less noise.

Government, in this case, is most powerful right before it falls.

backlot

My god, Anarchy people are some of the whiniest people I have ever heard. Democracy is amazing for when were stuck at a spot for over 20 hours like yesterday. It really is only active during that small period of time with the rest being Anarchy. So just deal with it.

It's the act of voting for either side that ruins it. It would be better if the streamer just manually switched democracy on and off.

_hekk05

Banned

It does kill all attempts to play the game and the trolls win. The trolls spam buttons, leaving legit players to vote on governance. Anarchy = start, democracy = start9

The 24 hours of maze had me forgetting how hilarious normal anarchy "progress" is. I think the PC demands a sacrifice, the stream should head there.

we're planning moves now. The point of this all is mass progress and coordination.

There's RNGs if you want to see random chaos.

Its not about random chaos. It´s about statistics. It was about how a gaussian distribution of the knowledge of 80k people maybe, or maybe not would be able to make progress in the game. If the order within the chaos was able to beat the game. Voting gives power to spammers wo would have been neglectable in a statistical evaluation. If not for the spammers you now just follow a walkthrough but just with an ancredible slow pace because you have to vote for every step. Thats a completly different meaning than the original setup. Original was statstics, it was fun. Now its just a boring walkthrough. All the new viewscome from media outlets who are running the story. If we keep the democracy it will die down soon. But like others said before - the original meaning is already compromised. Which is a shame.

I doubt it. If that system wasn't in place, the votes would revert back into start inputs vs b inputs.

Top Bottom