• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

o4hvVS2.png
Amazing

kiguel182

716L8.png

Welp it was fun folks, time to wrap it up

Well, there goes the whole organic nature of the stream.

Twitch it's a business after all and they are trying to keep the audience. I expect him to intervene more times then if things don't move along fast.

Now we are guaranteed to finish the game but it won't be as big of an accomplishment.

SuperSah

Banned
Well, there goes the whole organic nature of the stream.

Twitch it's a business after all and they are trying to keep the audience. I expect him to intervene more times then if things don't move along fast.

Now we are guaranteed to finish the game but it won't be as big of an accomplishment.

It's fake.

The time shows it was posted somehow in the future as nowhere is it 6:33pm at the time of writing, and as pointed out, the name is not capitalised.

_hekk05

Banned
Its not about random chaos. It´s about statistics. It was about how a gaussian distribution of the knowledge of 80k people maybe, or maybe not would be able to make progress in the game. If the order within the chaos was able to beat the game. Voting gives power to spammers wo would have been neglectable in a statistical evaluation. If not for the spammers you now just follow a walkthrough but just with an ancredible slow pace because you have to vote for every step. Thats a completly different meaning than the original setup. Original was statstics, it was fun. Now its just a boring walkthrough. All the new viewscome from media outlets who are running the story. If we keep the democracy it will die down soon. But like others said before - the original meaning is already compromised. Which is a shame.

Original was also twitch spamming left while trolls spammed right.

Its chaos all round, even with the governance in. Interesting thought experiment as well. The concept of governance ruined what little progress was possible in chaos mode.

okayfrog

Banned
My god, Anarchy people are some of the whiniest people I have ever heard. Democracy is amazing for when were stuck at a spot for over 20 hours like yesterday. It really is only active during that small period of time with the rest being Anarchy. So just deal with it.

Wait, what? Democracy people are the most annoying. Anarchy people are those who have been there since the beginning. They are the people who have put up with the struggle knowing that the struggle leads to incredible feats.

The Democracy people are the true whiners. They hate the fact that the game isn't easy for them and deem it impossible even though some seemingly impossible tasks have been overcome. They want the game to be their way even though it has been a certain way since the start and changing that way would go against everything this damn stream stands for.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's fake.

The time shows it was posted somehow in the future as nowhere is it 6:33pm at the time of writing, and as pointed out, the name is not capitalised.

The second bit's true but the first certainly isn't. The guy running the stream is Australian, it passed 6:33 pm there eleven hours ago.

Like how the stream has become less about pokemon and more about the stream now.

Yeah, the democracy shit ruined it.
Now, all I'm typing is anarchy in order to fight democracy.

Ends justify the means? Changing the gameplay ruins everything!
What the hell is the point of the stream if we cry like babies when we're stuck?

Trey

Its not about random chaos. It´s about statistics. It was about how a gaussian distribution of the knowledge of 80k people maybe, or maybe not would be able to make progress in the game. If the order within the chaos was able to beat the game. Voting gives power to spammers wo would have been neglectable in a statistical evaluation. If not for the spammers you now just follow a walkthrough but just with an ancredible slow pace because you have to vote for every step. Thats a completly different meaning than the original setup. Original was statstics, it was fun. Now its just a boring walkthrough. All the new viewscome from media outlets who are running the story. If we keep the democracy it will die down soon. But like others said before - the original meaning is already compromised. Which is a shame.

so it's a matter of compromise. Because the order changes all the time, and trends up the less people there are in the chat. And it would have eventually overcome the puzzle, but probably when the view count was super low so there was much less noise.

Democracy, and the need to vote it in, forces that mechanic even when there is low order/high chaos. Because it will only be voted in and stay in when most people AGREE on what to do.

Cess007

Isn't this anarchy/democracy system effectively reducing the number of people actually playing the game? If most people are voting for one or the other, then the number of people actually entering inputs is much lower than before.

Pretty much what i'm seeing. The input window is full of Anarchy/Democracy votes, and just a few actual input directions.

This was fun while it lasted I guess. There is no fun in all this meta bullshit and memes when progress isn't you know actually being made because you know in the end that's all this ever was about , a bunch of people trying to play Pokemon. I don't actually care about anarchy or democracy, personally after 24+ hrs of being in the same place is no fun, 8-12 was the nice sweet spot of hilarious low before a high came , the argument that "they would have finished it eventually in a week,days,months" doesn't work because the low is just too low there and the high doesn't become worth it . HOWEVER, this democracy stuff was implemented dumbly and has been equally trolly , really he should have just did the maze for us , get the key and then set it back to how it was , a few lifelines after 24 hrs seems fine, but this whole meta war and time and effort going towards anarchy or democracy (without any progress to be had) seems tedious. At this point it should just go back to how it was so everyone (me included) can quit arguing.

I don't see how the experiment was ever more than "Twitch Plays Pokemon" which still remains, anarchy or democracy. If you want the chaos of over 80K people playing it at once, you still have that. A lot of the early game was played by significantly lower numbers and not terribly unique if it is the chaos you are after. So much of what made this great has nothing to do with the purity of input. This has been a meme machine. I am laughing at Pokemon jokes, you don't know me so that might not register, but 5 days ago I would have been more likely to grow a tail than laugh at Pokemon memes/jokes.

lednerg

Wait, what? Democracy people are the most annoying. Anarchy people are those who have been there since the beginning. They are the people who have put up with the struggle knowing that the struggle leads to incredible feats.

The Democracy people are the true whiners. They hate the fact that the game isn't easy for them and deem it impossible even though some seemingly impossible tasks have been overcome. They want the game to be their way even though it has been a certain way since the start and changing that way would go against everything this damn stream stands for.

And the anarchists are just a bunch of lame meme-mongers. Whatever. The maze is done. Democracy did what it had to do.

DaBoss

Thanks to the voting the Lift key was obtained.
No, thanks to the streamer implementing Democracy, the Lift Key was obtained. The voting system is shit and should go.

The streamer should intervene and implement Democracy when it is NEEDED. It should not be like the way it is implemented. More people are focused on keeping it on Democracy or Anarchy instead of progressing through the game.

It has become TwitchPlaysTugOfWar, not TwitchPlaysPokemon.

Pretty much. The next ledge is just going to be democracied through like it was nothing. All of the hilarity and struggle we saw over the ledge will never happen again. It's just dull.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
wtf is happening

*waits for meme/non-answer*

So, the maze was taking sufficiently long to get to, the streamer implemented a democracy system, where the most popular input over a period of time is chosen. Users broke the system in protest by spamming start9 (which presses start 9 times in a row). In response, the streamer put in the current system, where you can vote for whether your prefer the anarchic (original) system or the new democratic one. This is obviously flawed, as it presupposes democracy is the best way to choose. Hence, all the best viewers are continuing to press start9 whenever the system goes democratic in an attempt to overthrow the bourgeois tyranny.

Original was also twitch spamming left while trolls spammed right.

Its chaos all round, even with the governance in. Interesting thought experiment as well. The concept of governance ruined what little progress was possible in chaos mode.

It was chaos, but the gaussian distribution was pushing the game. You couldn´t see what the actual number of votes was. In democracy you can which again influences your vote. Thats why we got start9 spammers. It was fun because it was unpredictable and yet the collective will pushed the game. Now we have a walkthrough.

Alexlf

Yeah, the democracy shit ruined it.
Now, all I'm typing is anarchy in order to fight democracy.

Ends justify the means? Changing the gameplay ruins everything!
What the hell is the point of the stream if we cry like babies when we're stuck?

I hope you appreciate the irony of your post.

Kimaka

Till the stream gets rid of the Anarchy/Democracy voting system, no progress will be made and is basically dead (to me).

We got close to using the elevator while in anarchy. Then Rattata happened. It will stabilize in the end once people realize that all democracy is going to do at this point is start9.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea where Red is headed, politics or not. Why is he by the Eevee spot and not heading back to Giovanni? Also I guess Drowsee got deposited too?

_hekk05

Banned
This was fun while it lasted I guess. There is no fun in all this meta bullshit and memes when progress isn't you know actually being made because you know in the end that's all this ever was about , a bunch of people trying to play Pokemon. I don't actually care about anarchy or democracy, personally after 24+ hrs of being in the same place is no fun, 8-12 was the nice sweet spot of hilarious low before a high came , the argument that "they would have finished it eventually in a week,days,months" doesn't work because the low is just too low there and the high doesn't become worth it . HOWEVER, this democracy stuff was implemented dumbly and has been equally trolly , really he should have just did the maze for us , get the key and then set it back to how it was , a few lifelines after 24 hrs seems fine, but this whole meta war and time and effort going towards anarchy or democracy (without any progress to be had) seems tedious. At this point it should just go back to how it was so everyone (me included) can quit arguing.

This raises an interesting idea. He should implement 3 lifelines. For each, he will do a puzzle for us, whether the seafoam islands, or rocket maze, or the viridian hedge, or safari zone, or victory road. 3 times is all the chat gets though, so they have to decide (vote) on it wisely.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea where Red is headed, politics or not. Why is he by the Eevee spot and not heading back to Giovanni? Also I guess Drowsee got deposited too?

I think all the actual users are too busy trying to determine a government, so the only people putting in directions are randbots.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
You guys realize the whole Democracy vs Anarchy thing is just to distract the masses/trolls so that real progress can be made, right?

Toxi

Banned
No, thanks to the streamer implementing Democracy, the Lift Key was obtained. The voting system is shit and should go.

The streamer should intervene and implement Democracy when it is NEEDED. It should not be like the way it is implemented. More people are focused on keeping it on Democracy or Anarchy instead of progressing through the game.
...That shit sucks. I still think we could have done it without democracy if everyone would stop arguing. :(

I only think Democracy should be used for one thing, and that's a horrifying ledge that has a ridiculously long dungeon in front of it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You guys realize the whole Democracy vs Anarchy thing is just to distract the masses/trolls so that real progress can be made, right?

If that were true we wouldn't be fucking around behind Celadon for no apparent reason.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I think all the actual users are too busy trying to determine a government, so the only people putting in directions are randbots.

Geeze this game feels way too much like real life! Too much chaos, so an order was established.

Top Bottom