• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WEDNESDAYTON PT 3 or: How sony fans stopped worrying and learned to love the bomba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duderz

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Someone do a summary, please. I can taste the tears.

Sony shows trailers to old games, announces that HOME is delayed, and that games will have features starting next month that we can't take advantage of until spring.

And we still have good old Tabris holding the fort that a remake will change gaming as we know it.

All in all, the worst conference Sony has had since, well fancy that, their big PS3 blunder.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Looks like most of my predictions were right. (Though I knew I should have added a prediction about Dress)

Still, no indication that DS3 features 'next-gen' rumble? Has anyone asked why that's the case? Unless there are some fundamental technical issues that weren't apparent before, that doesn't make much sense. Launch timing is hardly ideal either. Also disappointing that Heavy Rain was a no-show. TGS would be a strange place to debut it, but after saying they would..

Eh uh....wow, its not like I expected much from this...but after reading all pages, man, this is like cutting things rather than announcing things.

DS3 is coming....in months!...Home is coming...later than expected...

What the hell Sony...its not like I expected FFVII Remake but pretty much underwhelming news all around.

Another TGS without Ape Escape 4 :<

Yixian

Banned
Hmm, let me get this straight, Home, which has been beta'd for ages and looks done, has been delayed until mid next year, this new controller which I was holding out for because mine broke, is basically the same as the old one with a motor inside it, and yet is delayed until mid next year...

And nothing else happened.

Alright... well... it's getting a bit much now I'm afraid. I never use my PS3, I only bought it because I was in HK where it's super cheap. Maybe if I sell now I can still make a profit. The thing is useless if Sony aren't gonna put any fucking effort into making the shit they promise come out in reasonable time frames.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
speculawyer said:
WTF are you doing? You are going to alienate two developers working hard to make games for your platform by crowding an already small market.

Going by past efforts by 2k and EA, they aren't working nearly hard enough for the platform. MLB: The Show says hi btw :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Yixian said:
Hmm, let me get this straight, Home, which has been beta'd for ages and looks done, has been delayed until mid next year, this new controller which I was holding out for because mine broke, is basically the same as the old one with a motor inside it, and yet is delayed until mid next year...

And nothing else happened.

Alright... well... it's getting a bit much now I'm afraid. I never use my PS3, I only bought it because I was in HK where it's super cheap. Maybe if I sell now I can still make a profit. The thing is useless if Sony aren't gonna put any fucking effort into making the shit they promise come out in reasonable time frames.

Play Uncharted and Ratchet this winter.
Indifferent2.gif

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Yixian said:
I will probably give it until the end of Nov, and try those two. tbh, if even one of them bombs, it will be the last straw.

You are going to be holding on to your PS3 then, both games will be great :D

Belfast said:
You know, I'm kind of wondering where the megatons are in general. Not just Sony. There haven't been any really big announcements from anybody. Very few "new" titles, mostly just playable versions or new media for old ones.

Securing publishing rights for Ninja Gaiden 2 seems to be the thing people were expecting least so far from anyone.

Brofist

Belfast said:
You know, I'm kind of wondering where the megatons are in general. Not just Sony. There haven't been any really big announcements from anybody. Very few "new" titles, mostly just playable versions or new media for old ones.

They seem to be coming less and less at the trade shows. Announcements seem to come more randomly and dispersed now than they used to.

Yixian

Banned
mentalfloss said:

Let's say I got £250 for it, that's a comfortable weekend in Paris. 48 hours more fun than I've had with my PS3 :p

Ok that's unfair, I don't want to troll, Warhawk was fun, but I'm not much of a gamer anyway. I'll give it to Nov, but this TGS majigger bombed big style.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So here's how Dress fits into Home:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/821/821379p1.html

Rather than a game, this is actually a product designed for the PlayStation Home service. Dress is a premium avatar service that features the support of major fashion brands to deliver fashion shows, contests and fashion shops. It will be released in 2008.

I suppose that's the first confirmation of extra-gaming brand involvement in Home. An interesting way to do it too.

tehbear

BenjaminBirdie said:
Securing publishing rights for Ninja Gaiden 2 seems to be the thing people were expecting least so far from anyone.

Boring that NG2's publishing rights is the biggest ton -_-. I think though we expect too many tons, too often. I suspect Tonnal acceleration will begin only after we settle into this gen. But without something big every few days, can it sustain this culture that consumes tons at this alarming pace?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Thank god I missed the keynote. What a boring pile that would've been to sit through.

Thanks again guys (you know who you are) for telling me to skip it!

Busty

Banned
The keynote was a little dull but I never really expected a megaton out of that (certainly not a price drop), I still think that we've got plenty of time for new game announcements.

IIRC, last year White Knight Story (chronicles...whatever) was announced without any sort of ceremony. It literally just appeared one day during TGS without warning.

The one thing I am prepared to write off at the moment however is, Square Enix. And I'm not talking about all that FF VII chatter. They seem to almost be showing a level of contempt for their fans. Releasing old pics (most of which are from a CGI trailer) and then having a closed theatre announcing mobile games is a total joke.I have a feeling that it could be next year's TGS before we actually see any footage of FF XIII.

But in saying that, I think that next week's Famitsu might have some new stuff in it perhaps not even announced at the show itself.

Either way, a slow start, but the show isn't finished yet.

Raist

Banned
Quickly read the thread (too huge) but from what I understand :

- home delayed till mid 2008

- shockaxis = sixaxis + old PS2 rumble AND not released until mid 2008

- no new games announced

- no price drop ?

Is that it ?

wtf srsly :|

SantaC

Raist said:
Quickly read the thread (too huge) but from what I understand :

- home delayed till mid 2008

- shockaxis = sixaxis + old PS2 rumble AND not released until mid 2008

- no new games announced

- no price drop ?

Is that it ?

wtf srsly :|

NPD am cry

Raist said:
old PS2 rumble AND not released until mid 2008

According to the devs we've talked to: tons of control over the strength. It doesn't feel like a gyro spinning in the controller... it just vibrates. and it's very localized to either side of the controller. When explosions happen in the environment behind and to the left of you, for example, you get a little thud on the left side of the controller. It definitely feels like an improvement over DS2.

In other words if you get shot on the left, it will rumble on the left side first. If you get shot in the head, it will rumble at the top of the controller. Totally next-gen stuff.

By the way, its not a good idea to release a new model when the old one is still heavily in stock.

RubberJohnny said:
Also GT5: P isn't coming to Japan until Decemeber 13th. We're unlikely to see it here this year unless it worldwide launches.

If by worldwide launch you mean everywhere but PAL then yes.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
k79 said:
Sometimes, rooting for Sony is like having a 200 pound cross on your back.

..until you turn around and look at the show itself. With the games on the showfloor, PS3 should have a very good showing at least. There's some reason to be disappointed with the keynote (e.g. home delay, sixaxis timing), but otherwise expectations for the keynote were ridiculous. Back to the show, though, and if PS3 fans have it bad, I'm not sure what'd be the case for fans of other home systems. But I don't think they do :p

edit - Particle, do you have a link to the DS3 comment? I'd like to read something that indicates SOMETHING about what tech it's using.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
RubberJohnny said:
Also GT5: P isn't coming to Japan until Decemeber 13th. We're unlikely to see it here this year unless it worldwide launches.
I dunno. GTHD in NA didn't come that long after the GTHD release in japan IIRC. Maybe it's just a gut feeling, but I wouldn't expect a huge delay in localization.

ParticleReality said:
In other words if you get shot on the left, it will rumble on the left side first. If you get shot in the head, it will rumble at the top of the controller. Totally next-gen stuff.

By the way, its not a good idea to release a new model when the old one is still heavily in stock.

It's so strange to see Sony make all these incredible advancements in stuff like online and rumble and storage and all that stuff and still take so startlingly few steps to put the console in a position where those advancements can really bear fruit. It's like spending 10 years of your life making this amazing movie and then showing it on the back of your garage and not telling anyone, figuring people will just show up because it's totally the raddest.

Delaying this stuff to '08 is like writing off '07 completely and I'm not sure they realize the kind of damage that is could do to any kind of momentum. I don't think anyone expected them to announce an incredible new surprise game that was going to save the system, but I think everyone wanted them to at least come out and say "Fuck it, man. We're still in this to win this. Stand the fuck back." But delaying two things that would have, while not moved consoles in droves at least given the console a stronger sense of its advantages, doesn't say that at all. It's just another example of making its current users wait for things that they're excited about and giving potential users another reason to wait.

LaneDS

Man, waking up to this "news" is like waking up on Christmas morning, running downstairs and finding all your pets on fire or something.

Blarg. Sony can't catch a break.

k79

Banned
gofreak said:
..until you turn around and look at the show itself. With the games on the showfloor, PS3 should have a very good showing at least. There's some reason to be disappointed with the keynote (e.g. home delay, sixaxis timing), but otherwise expectations for the keynote were ridiculous. Back to the show, though, and if PS3 fans have it bad, I'm not sure what'd be the case for fans of other home systems. But I don't think they do :p

That's why i said sometimes ;) This keynote was one of them.

Jive Turkey said:
Now you know what it was like being a Sega or Nintendo fan.

I was a Nintendo fan back in the day (NES, SNES).That all stopped with the N64 tho.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't think anyone expected them to announce an incredible new surprise game that was going to save the system
According to Jpn Gaffers, Famitsu claimed exactly that. :p

Anyway I want to see pricing on this new controller, because slow release outside Japan could mean anything from production shortages to clearance strategies to being financially incapable to ship it with systems to god knows what.

lupinko

SCEE already said they had plans on bringing GT5P this year to the Euro nations, it's only SCEA that hasn't said anything.

Oh well, better get them PSN Tickets ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom