• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WEDNESDAYTON PT 3 or: How sony fans stopped worrying and learned to love the bomba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinobi

ghst said:
A 50 page thread about in 2007 about the most expensive and supposedly powerful gaming console (/"supercomputer") in existance and the main topic of discussion is something that comes as standard in a $5 vibrator.

:lol

sprocket said:
This rumble will be awesome if the DEV rumors are correct.

thing of GT5 .. when you rev your engine the rumble scales accordingly. I do not think many of you realize how elementary the rumble in controllers are at the present.

Nah, I think most people realize it's been pretty low tech up till now, and credit to Sony for advancing it a bit.

I just find the backpeddling between positions on rumble (among other things) by Sony and their flock to be amusing.

"We have no plans to do so in the standard controller that ships with PlayStation 3. I believe that the Sixaxis controller offers game designers and developers far more opportunity for future innovation than rumble ever did. Now, rumble I think was the last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do that." - Phil Harrison, Sony, February 2007

Silliness like this has helped to contribute to PS3's current troubles. But hey, it keeps me amused.

ghst said:
A 50 page thread in 2007 about the most expensive and supposedly powerful gaming console (/"supercomputer") in existance and the main topic of discussion is something that comes as standard in a $5 vibrator.

Bitch when it isn't there, bitch when it is.

RumFore

Banned
I guess I will wait until the rumble is included in the box. Seems they have stockpiles of systems and its too late to add them in so they are waiting until stocks are depleted instead of selling rumble controllers alone while nor having it in the retail box. Cant see why else they would delay releasing a controller.

Busty

Banned
Now I realise that it's still the first day of TGS and that we've still got some way to go before everything is said and done.

But when are where are we supposed to be seeing Star Ocean 4 and Quantic Dream's untitled PS3 game?

Aren't SE having some kind of press 'get together' or conference of their own at some point?

And I'd be surprised if Sony Japan have 'shot their announcement load' as far as games are concerned already.

But do we have any idea what sort of mini events or conferences are scheduled or taking place during TGS?

Busty

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
This has to be the most boring TGS in a while for all systems.
Nothing big anywhere and no reason to think that anything is embargoed.

I'm sure we'll get the final word on the matter tomorrow from Shane on the 1upYours TGS podcast.

He was alluding to SE having some announcements to make on the Kojima podcast, I assume that these apparent announcements will have more substance than the mobile KH games.

Like I said before, if Sony Japan have announced all they are going to announce then I am stunned. Sometimes I think that Sony have so many PSN games in development just so at shows and events like these if gives them something to announce. :p

dionysus

Yaldog
OokieSpookie said:

Is it over? I am holding out for individual game announcement outside the conferences. Maybe I am just optimistic.

sprocket said:

think of GT5 .. when you rev your engine the rumble scales accordingly. I do not think many of you realize how elementary the rumble in controllers are at the present.
i had a touchsense mouse a few years ago. that thing had some crazy feedback stuff in it. it wasn't as agressive a rumble as on a joypad, but in games like black and white it made stuff feel textured, and in games like unreal tournament each gun felt really different when you fired it.

i'd love to see that range and precision in a pad's feedback motors.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I like how this is called a bomba when in fact as I write this post 7 out of the 10 top posts in the forum are Sony TGS related (and not bomba related, related to MGS, GT5P, WKS, etc). :lol

Narag

joshcryer said:
I like how this is called a bomba when in fact as I write this post 7 out of the 10 top posts in the forum are Sony TGS related (and not bomba related, related to MGS, GT5P, WKS, etc). :lol

Down to 3.5 out of 10. Bomba reaffirmed.

MaX_PL

Banned
sprocket said:

think of GT5 .. when you rev your engine the rumble scales accordingly. I do not think many of you realize how elementary the rumble in controllers are at the present.

i honestly dont think rumble has to be complex at all.

Shinraven

ps3 is f#cked this holiday season. :lol

I watched 2 peep at my job, hardcore ps2 fans, buying a 360. They waited till TGS, saw nothing, now jumped in.

For them it was call of duty 4, halo3, bioshock, HDMI premiums the list is endless.

while all they saw from sony...crappy Lair, empty promises.

I am still considering a ps3 myself, ie for blueray, but at this point. ps3 is not a priority.

I have yet to see 1 game on ps3, ok maybe drake that impresses me.

Ill pick one up when price drops again, for Mlb, wipeout. seriously wake the F#ck up sony.

Piper Az

Rumble is nice but it's not worth making a big deal out of...seriously, isn't there anything else to talk about? like home, afrika, or the psp-ps3 connectivity???

Sound doesn't have to come in 5.1 channels either. But its better.

i can play games without rumble just fine. sound, however, makes an enormous difference, i'd say.

dionysus said:
Is it over? I am holding out for individual game announcement outside the conferences. Maybe I am just optimistic.

I am too, do not get me wrong.
But with Sony having their preshow already as well as the keynote I do not know what to think.
Not even sure if there are any other events anytime soon other than the Monster Party event.

tha_con

Banned
The GAF collective can be so depressing sometimes. Some of you really should try gaming, instead of imitating industry analysts and 'lawling' at sales figures or press conferences. I can assure you, it's significantly more enjoyable.

Roxas

Shinraven said:

I watched 2 peep at my job, hardcore ps2 fans, buying a 360. They waited till TGS, saw nothing, now jumped in.

For them it was call of duty 4, halo3, bioshock, HDMI premiums the list is endless.

while all they saw from sony...crappy Lair, empty promises.

I am still considering a ps3 myself, ie for blueray, but at this point. ps3 is not a priority.

I have yet to see 1 game on ps3, ok maybe drake that impresses me.

Ill pick one up when price drops again, for Mlb, wipeout. seriously wake the F#ck up sony.

Its safe to assume that 2008 will be Sony's year.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Shinraven said:

What exactly were they waiting for? Something other than Ratchet, Drake, Killzone, LBP, etc?

I don't understand why they were hinging their bets on a Japanese trade show, unless of course you're making this up. :)

ari

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
the xbox 360 conference was fucking awesome and waaaaaay better then sony's, i don't know what you're talking about.

I don't understand why they were hinging their bets on a Japanese trade show, unless of course you're making this up. :)

Everyone was hinging their bets on a Japanese trade show. Loads of people in this thread were saying, "Wait for TGS". This was supposed to showcase the Japanese support that the 360 just doesn't have.

RubberJohnny said:
Everyone was hinging their bets on a Japanese trade show. Loads of people in this thread were saying, "Wait for TGS". This was supposed to showcase the Japanese support that the 360 just doesn't have.

So at this point, nobody has any Japanse 3rd party support! Guess it all works out!:lol

ari

Banned
RubberJohnny said:
huh, i read that as japanese developers didn't announce anything for 360, is that correct? i could look up all the megaton they announce on xbla alone.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
tha_con said:
The GAF collective can be so depressing sometimes. Some of you really should try gaming, instead of imitating industry analysts and 'lawling' at sales figures or press conferences. I can assure you, it's significantly more enjoyable.

ENJOYING GAMES? DOES NOT COMPUTE.

sprocket said:

Yes, true NEXT-GEN rumble can only be achieved with the Cell Processor and the power of the PS3.

Product Not Yet Rated.

Andokuky

Banned
What a boring ass display from Sony. bububu look, we now have rumble!!!

They need a massive price drop fast and a big chunk of games actually worth buying on PS3.

Frillen

Loudninja said:
Come on, it was not THAT bad, we know Afrkia is still coming, and the remote play, and the DualShock 3 was cool

Afrika? What's so special about that game anyway? I don't see it + we don't no shit about it.

DualShock3? I've had rumble in my controllers since the N64 days.

Remote Play? ........

Talamius said:
It's like Sony is waving the white flag and sending PS3 to die against the double barreled Wii60 onslaught.

The only white flag will be your whitey tidies around your ankles as the power of Sony bends you over and you are brought to tears of joy as you are made pure by the throbbing might thrusting into your very soul.

OokieSpookie said:
The only white flag will be your whitey tidies around your ankles as the power of Sony bends you over and you are brought to tears of joy by the throbbing might thrusting into your very soul.

Were you actively trying to make a statement as stupid as the one you quoted? Because while might not have actually succeeded, that was one admirable effort.

Pureauthor said:
Were you actively trying to make a statement as stupid as the one you quoted? Because while might not have actually succeeded, that was one admirable effort.

Yeah it seemed to lose something in the delivery didn't it...

Busty

Banned
ari said:
huh, i read that as japanese developers didn't announce anything for 360, is that correct? i could look up all the megaton they announce on xbla alone.

I was going to come up with some amusing play on words involving Sam from Quantum Leap and his phrase "Oh Boy!" when he 'leaped' into some bizarre and strange situation as a quote to the above post......

...and then I thought, fuck it.

*bites into toast*

Shinraven

most people find reason, excuses to wait to get a system.

I waited 6 months after 360 released to buy. I knew it was going to be good. As for ps3 this year is pretty much done.

Next year is when the fun begins, ie no more excuses from devs and Sony. So far, they are messing up, which is expected. this is afterall the first year of the console.

The 360 had crappy games in the beginning too. Its an uphill battle for Sony. Going up against smooth ass 60fps sec madden , sick visually looking bioshock, mass FX The list is endless. and not to mention cheaper.

They need to hit the $399 price point,,fast. or they are.... F#cked.

No I am not making anything up, we have all 3 systems, I myself own an xbox and 360.

I have 1 friend on the fence still waiting to " jump in " hes waiting for the the hdmi 360s to be common, which from what i gather, they are available. so no more excuses.

seattle6418 said:
seems strange, but i heard this week. i thoight it was dead and buried also. but them again, they make an nba game that sucks and shouldn't be made, so i still believe gretzky is for real.

anyway, this seems new:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/14861

the gameplay montage from the keynote

Maybe it went like this:

Exec: "We need more games . . . NOW!"

Mid-manager: "Well we have a half finished hockey game lying around . . . but there are alread...."

Exec: "WELL FINISH IT AND SHIP IT!"

Talamius

Sigh, pile on the junior. Ok, I'm game.

-Home delayed until some point in '08.

-Rumble controller in winter '07 for Japan, '08 for everyone else. The 5% of gamers who import (and 5% is probably way too high) are not going to make this a smash before '08.

-MGS4 is an '08 title. That means assuming a January 1 release (lol) you are at least looking at just over 3 months, completely missing the '07 holiday season.

-No price drop announced. This alone is the white flag. By doing nothing Sony is saying to the market "We are screwed, we know it, here's Uncharted and R&C and maybe GT5:p kthxbye".

If you examine all this on a worldwide level Sony has sent PS3 to die against Wii60, which between the two has multiple AAA-caliber games and lower price points all around. In Japan PS3 is sent to die against Nintendomination alone. We haven't even gotten into the MIA FF13. By the time '08 rolls around the hole it will need to dig out of will be grand canyon sized.

So what exactly was so wrong and stupid about my statement?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Talamius said:
Sigh, pile on the junior. Ok, I'm game.

-Home delayed until some point in '08.

-Rumble controller in winter '07 for Japan, '08 for everyone else. The 5% of gamers who import (and 5% is probably way too high) are not going to make this a smash before '08.

-MGS4 is an '08 title. That means assuming a January 1 release (lol) you are at least looking at just over 3 months, completely missing the '07 holiday season.

-No price drop announced. This alone is the white flag. By doing nothing Sony is saying to the market "We are screwed, we know it, here's Uncharted and R&C and maybe GT5:p kthxbye".

If you examine all this on a worldwide level Sony has sent PS3 to die against Wii60, which between the two has multiple AAA-caliber games and lower price points all around. In Japan PS3 is sent to die against Nintendomination alone. We haven't even gotten into the MIA FF13. By the time '08 rolls around the hole it will need to dig out of will be grand canyon sized.

So what exactly was so wrong and stupid about my statement?
What is so dumb is that the show has just begun. It's 4 days long you know?

MGS4 doesn't need the holiday season to sell if you're implying it'll do worse now.

besada

Banned
dallow_bg said:
What is so dumb is that the show has just begun. It's 4 days long you know?

The system just came out. Wait until Lair/Heavenly Sword/a price cut/etc, etc, ad infinitum.

People are tired of waiting for Sony to buy a clue. They blew yet another opportunity to grab some eyeballs and mindshare, and instead announced the delay of one of the only two things people care about on the platform this fall (the other being LPB...and I'm waiting for that bombshell). I think it's reasonable to see the PS3's fall chances in a somewhat dim light.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
besada said:
The system just came out. Wait until Lair/Heavenly Sword/a price cut/etc, etc, ad infinitum.

People are tired of waiting for Sony to buy a clue. They blew yet another opportunity to grab some eyeballs and mindshare, and instead announced the delay of one of the only two things people care about on the platform this fall (the other being LPB...and I'm waiting for that bombshell). I think it's reasonable to see the PS3's fall chances in a somewhat dim light.
LBP (retail version) is due for next year ya know?

So I guess you can cry just that much more.

EDIT:I take that last part back.
Meh.

Busty

Banned
besada said:

Let's wait until Monday morning before we start a post mortem on TGS shall we? Having a 'What went wrong..' discussion on the first day of the event/conference is a little premature.

Busty said:
Let's wait until Monday morning before we start a post mortem on TGS shall we? Having a 'What went wrong..' discussion on the first day of the event/conference is a little premature.

A 'what went wrong' in TGS, sure, but a 'what went wrong' in Sony's keynote, well, I think that's fair game at this point.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
FFXIII impressions!

They mention that "another game stole the show", what?

After adamantly insisting that you do not videotape or record the screening in any way or else, the Square Enix private theater showcased numerous titles from the ever-expanding Final Fantasy universe. The first trailer on display was the lead game in the Fabula Nova Crystallis series, Final Fantasy XIII. In English, a narrator explains a corruption that seems to plaguing the land. "Those tainted by the outside were exiled," he explains.

Earlier trailers highlighted Lightning, but the trailer at TGS showed off a number of new characters, environments and creatures. A gunman that seems to have specific mastery over water shoots a crystal, creating a massive water summon. Paths of ice form in the sky, as he rides along on a motorcycle. Certainly, a spectacle to behold. Then a massive African-inspired scene provides a stark contrast to the futuristic environments we've seen of the game so far. Fantastic Mammoth-like beasts walk across a river in a scene that could've been ripped out of a Afrika gone slightly astray. Debuting in this new trailer was a brand new female character that stands, staring at a frozen planet orbiting in the sky. The trailer ends with a proud proclamation "PS3 Only," to silence any doubters.

Once again, we were stunned by the visuals of the trailer, which went beyond the quality of most Hollywood productions. The new dry landscape showcased provides reassurance that the game will not remain stagnant in its visual look. However, in spite of the incredible excitement generated by the trailer, we were surprised that a different game in the Square Enix theater stole the show.

http://www.*******.com/2007/09/20/tgs07-final-fantasy-xiii-trailer-impressions/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom