• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WEDNESDAYTON PT 3 or: How sony fans stopped worrying and learned to love the bomba

Status
Not open for further replies.
gofreak said:
..until you turn around and look at the show itself. With the games on the showfloor, PS3 should have a very good showing at least. There's some reason to be disappointed with the keynote (e.g. home delay, sixaxis timing), but otherwise expectations for the keynote were ridiculous. Back to the show, though, and if PS3 fans have it bad, I'm not sure what'd be the case for fans of other home systems. But I don't think they do :p

edit - Particle, do you have a link to the DS3 comment? I'd like to read something that indicates SOMETHING about what tech it's using.
well we know that it isn't just using the DS2 tech because that interfered with the sixaxis motion control. even if the rumble doesn't feel any different (which i doubt) it's new technology in there.

I believe Hirai works secretly for Microsoft. Else I don't understand this 'great' strategy they've got with the PS3... Somehow everytime they open their mouths they push undecided buyers towards the Xbox 360.

Right now it sums up like this:

mgs4+a bunch of promises and delayed games (PS3) vs. everything else (X360)

I would like to buy a new gen console later this year, and even though I *really* want to buy a PS3 (for it'd probably be the system I'd like the most long-term) the X360 is kicking its ass with some really good games. I mean you can't even compare the amount of good games available for one and the other, and they just keep on delaying the big PS3 titles. If they don't drop the console's price before xmas (especially in EU territories where they keep ripping off users) I don't know wtf they're thinking about. I predict doom and misery for Sony.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
plagiarize said:
well we know that it isn't just using the DS2 tech because that interfered with the sixaxis motion control. even if the rumble doesn't feel any different (which i doubt) it's new technology in there.
If you honestly believe that I have this bridge I'm not using and am looking for a buyer...

Sho Nuff

Banned
hey guys whats going on

i was at the show and i was looking for the megaton but I couldnt find it :((( i thought der bomba droppen during Kaz's keynote when the newspaper guy came out for scripted Q&A time but no go

adelante

plagiarize said:
-____-

SantaC

Sho Nuff said:
hey guys whats going on

i was at the show and i was looking for the megaton but I couldnt find it :((( i thought der bomba droppen during Kaz's keynote when the newspaper guy came out for scripted Q&A time but no go

bombaton is the new megaton.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Here's a tip for people who, like me, are reading this whole topic late; read the odd-numbered pages instead of them all. It works for a thread with so many people crying out "AFRIKA!!!", "DUALSHOCK 3!!" and "FFVII REMAKE?? NOOOOOOOOOO!" and fluffing up the page count.

You all suck for making a big thing out of a new rumble controller. Pah!

Raist

Banned
ParticleReality said:
In other words if you get shot on the left, it will rumble on the left side first. If you get shot in the head, it will rumble at the top of the controller. Totally next-gen stuff.

By the way, its not a good idea to release a new model when the old one is still heavily in stock.

Well, that was just a question. I was basing it on this thread's post, and IGN's impression of rumble in Burnout (feels like DS2 lulz)
So it looks like it's improved after all, that's cool.

Personnally, I've never been fond of rumble, was annoying me except in very few games (such as MGS) but I know some people love rumble. So this + home etc would be bad news.

I just hope they'll make the Home beta a little bit more open, because if we have to wait until next year to try it... blargh.

Why the hell did they delay it btw ? It certainly didn't look like there were problems with it :/

plagiarize said:

ummm...

Chrono

Banned
- terrible keynote.

- terrible TGS.

Seriously what the hell. There's MGS4, WKS gameplay vids, and what? new games? yakuza 3 and... aqua? Not even a new trailer for FFXIII - a game we haven't seen anything new for it since it was revealed in E3 2006!!

WTF JAPAN.

Chrono said:
- terrible keynote.

- terrible TGS.

Seriously what the hell. There's MGS4, WKS gameplay vids, and what? new games? yakuza 3 and... aqua? Not even a new trailer for FFXIII - a game we haven't seen anything new for it since it was revealed in E3 2006!!

WTF JAPAN.
I know, it's crazy. There's no worthwhile news at all today, and I was expecting an onslaught on new games announced. So far it's barely a trickle and a lot of them are on Japanese cell phones! Not to mention that a lot of the good media we're getting are for western developed games.

Metalmurphy said:
Why doubt it? Sony has always been bigger in Europe.

Highly doubtful. Europe would have to be outselling the other territories by roughly 3 to 1 to have that level of sales in half the amount of time.

Hammer24

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

From the few numbers we have we know, that it isn´t selling the necessary numbers to achive this in UK and Germany. And judging from the PAL software charts, the other european countries are no different. Estimating the european numbers to be even the same as NA (around 1.7 mill) is very generous.

Metalmurphy said:
They announced a million in June so it's not out of the question but most of that was front loaded at the launch and all signs pointed to a fairly significant slowdown in sales since then.

Launch = 600k
Post Launch - June = 400k
June - September = 1.1 million? Seems unlikely.

Jive Turkey said:
If you honestly believe that I have this bridge I'm not using and am looking for a buyer...
if it didn't, why did immersion claim that their new technologies were designed in part to be immune to such problems?

it wasn't just sony talking about the the problem, you had immersion saying 'we've already fixed that'... rather than 'that's a load of nonsense'.

the rumble in the wiimote doesn't use the same tech as the DS2, nor does it use the implementation they had in N64 and Cube pads.

when they claimed that was why there wasn't rumble in their pads, it was obviously nonsense because other people had found solutions to that problem, but there is evidence to support the notion that DS2 style rumble did indeed cause problems, and no evidence that i know of that contradicts it.

we'll find out soon if it is using the exact same implementation as the DS2... but i have no reason to believe that both sony and immersion were lying, and that Nintendo developed a new implementation of rumble just for shits and giggles.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/immersion/...-motion-sensing-a-strategic-choice-205056.php

kaz wasn't denying it was possible last october... just that more work would need to be done to make it work.

we all know that they didn't persue it because of the lawsuit, but it wasn't lies imho to say the dual shock 2 style rumble wouldn't work with motion control, it was spin trying to distract people from the real reasons they weren't doing it.

so i stand by my belief that it has to be something different to the DS2 technology.

ichigo kurosaki said:
the X360 is kicking its ass with some really good games. I mean you can't even compare the amount of good games available for one and the other, and they just keep on delaying the big PS3 titles. If they don't drop the console's price before xmas (especially in EU territories where they keep ripping off users) I don't know wtf they're thinking about. I predict doom and misery for Sony.
As for a European price drop, it's likely, but it is up to David Reeves. I was predicting a Euro price-cut in October or something, since that would be 7 months after launch at least.

I'm not surprised about no Japanese price cut, because they are still getting the console way cheaper than elsewhere.

As for Dual Shock 3 coming stateside/Europe later, just be glad it's not taking as long as it did during the PS1 era to come to other territories.

I expected the delay for home. The public beta has never come, and there has been next to no updates about it (with new images and such).

Talamius

Raist said:
Quickly read the thread (too huge) but from what I understand :

- home delayed till mid 2008

- shockaxis = sixaxis + old PS2 rumble AND not released until mid 2008

- no new games announced

- no price drop ?

Is that it ?

wtf srsly :|

It's like Sony is waving the white flag and sending PS3 to die against the double barreled Wii60 onslaught.

Shinobi

Aggelos said:
SCE has sold more than 5 million PS3

hirai10.jpg

Remember the days when Sony would include the competing consoles in these PowerPoint sales presentations? Guess that's harder to do when the competition is smacking you upside the head.

Can't say that anything about the TGS presentation was surprising. People who expected some sort of miracle to shepard the PS3 through the Christmas medow (and no, Dualolz Shock 3 does not count) were simply delusional...it's been evident for a while now that '07 is more or less a write off. '08 will be a very strong year for PS3, but anyone who thinks Nintendo and MS will be sleeping at the wheel over the next 15 months will be deluding themselves once again. That's not even getting into the fact that the price disparity will NEVER go away...and that's likely to be PS3's biggest obstacle for the rest of it's days.

Wollan

Has there been any reports on Dress? Home application that was supposed to be on the floor if I understood it correctly.

Talamius said:
It's like Sony is waving the white flag and sending PS3 to die against the double barreled Wii60 onslaught.

I dont mean to sound rude, but why is it always the junior members who post some of the dumbest crap on this forum.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's fucking rumble. It doesn't do anything worthwhile.

It's a useless feature that, for some reason, everyone feels they need to have

GaimeGuy said:

It was useful enough to use it's exclusion as a reason why the system sucks, right? If it was so important to have back then when it wasn't there, why isn't it so important now that it is?

Metalmurphy said:
The others already pointed out perfectly good reasons to doubt it. Also Sony breaking 2 mill so shortly after breaking 1 mill wouldn't warrant a press release? Especially if you are thirsting for good news?

_leech_ said:
It was useful enough to use it's exclusion as a reason why the system sucks, right? If it was so important to have back then when it wasn't there, why isn't it so important now that it is?

The way it went then was, 360/Wii fans - PS3 doesn't have Rumble. PS3 fans - Who needs Rumble. Well atleast thats how it went on other forums, don't know about here.

I am still amazed at the Rumble delay in coming to NA though. I would have launched in first in NA/Europe than Japan.

_leech_ said:
It was more like: "We don't need rumble, it's so last gen." And now it's: "Megaton! Rumble!!!"

It was a stupid move to leave it out in the first place. And delaying the shockaxis to spring next year isn't smart as well. I won't be buying a starter pack this christmas with 2 sixaxis' - I rather wait 'till spring.

sprocket said:
Wait whats with the title? What exactly bombed?
Maybe it's referring to the huge expectations, which took a hit ("bombed")? Beats me.

GaimeGuy said:

Rumble is nice to have.

It's not going to change anything here or there, but at least it's some sort of a value add.

It's just funny to hear people cry tears of joy and hug about rumble when 6 months ago they were complaining that it was a "last gen feature".

GaimeGuy said:

I kinda agree, it's very rare for a game to implement rumble in a fun way for me.

sprocket

Banned
This rumble will be awesome if the DEV rumors are correct.

think of GT5 .. when you rev your engine the rumble scales accordingly. I do not think many of you realize how elementary the rumble in controllers are at the present.

See, this is why you don't bother with the hype. You go to sleep and check everything out the next day.

On the off-chance that something big gets announced, you learnt it 8 hours later than everyone else. Big loss.

And when, as is far more common, nothing happens, you get an entertaining thread to dig through.

I had fun.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
A 50 page thread in 2007 about the most expensive and supposedly powerful gaming console (/"supercomputer") in existance and the main topic of discussion is something that comes as standard in a $5 vibrator.

Leezard

ghst said:
A 50 page thread about in 2007 about the most expensive and supposedly powerful gaming console (/"supercomputer") in existance and the main topic of discussion is something that comes as standard in a $5 vibrator.

Oh, I see. I haven't missed anything, then.

Evlar

Banned
GaimeGuy said:

It does something worthwhile (provides tactile feedback), it's not a useless feature (improves immersion, offers more subtle ways to communicate with the player such as driving onto the shoulder in racing games, and is necessary to complete parts of certain games). I don't feel I NEED it but I certainly want it.

You're wrong on everything here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom