• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

FreeMufasa

catfish said:
not it will tone you, but it won't make you have large muscles, more slim fit.

Thanks. That sounds cool.

I'm a little confused with what i've read. Is this all the stuff I need?

- P90x DVDs
- Resistance bands
- Chin up Bar

FreeMufasa said:
Thanks. That sounds cool.

I'm a little confused with what i've read. Is this all the stuff I need?

- P90x DVDs
- Resistance bands
- Chin up Bar
I would recommend a yoga mat, or any sort of padding for the exercise area (especially if you have hardwood floors).

You can get larger muscles with p90x if you do it correctly. Heavy and slow reps, whilst maintaining constant tension is the way to go.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
So I've just started my second week of the supplemental "lean" schedule and it's my first time doing P90X altogether. Now that I know what to expect, is it fine to toss in some more HIIT a few times a week? Prior to starting this, I was doing HIIT 4-5 times a week but I stopped since I don't know how challenging P90X is. I plan on running/biking my HIIT circuits only on days with core/resistance training. Is this cool? I just don't feel like the cardio workouts do it for me. Except for yoga, which kicked my fucking ass.

Ive been using Endurox's R4 recovery drink and have been thinking about switching it up. Has anyone tried using fat-free chocolate milk as a post workout drink? Im wondering if I'll miss the glutamine in the R4 drink if I decide to use milk instead.

L0st Id3ntity said:
Mine too, but Insanity only.

I workout often, though rarely this intense. My little belly was sucked in on the next day of my first session, very encouraging lol.

Thank god tomorrow is recovery day.
So now I'm in my 4th week, I lost only 3 kilograms, but they are very visible, I guess it's because I gained muscles as well, my abs and legs feel much stronger.

Haha I remember how I struggled with warm up in the beginning, now I do it all and in perfect form no problems. Feels good man. Though I still have to take an additional break or two during the routines.

I don't know how they expect you to do another workout a day after plyo. Two days after my last plyo workout and I could barely walk. Hell, I'm on day three and my legs are still a little beat up. I'm not new to this routine either, I'm in the second phase so I've done this a number of times. Sucks that it knocked me out of the normal schedule but at least I know I did a great job during that last workout.

Anyway, I'm off to do back and biceps. Haven't done this one yet and I remember people saying it was rough.

How well would this work for a, ughh.... embarrassingly skinny guy like me? Im about 5'11 and 145 pounds. I have...I guess a small belly, super skinny arms and ok legs.

I can do 20 push ups max and 60 sit ups at a time. Dont laugh :(

Im hoping this thing will help with toning, adding some real muscle and get some decent abs.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
LightOfTruth said:
How well would this work for a, ughh.... embarrassingly skinny guy like me? Im about 5'11 and 145 pounds. I have...I guess a small belly, super skinny arms and ok legs.

I can do 20 push ups max and 60 sit ups at a time. Dont laugh :(

Im hoping this thing will help with toning, adding some real muscle and get some decent abs.
I am/was on the same boat, I tried P90X a while back, only got through the first 3 weeks and stopped since I felt like I wasn't doing it right, my purpose was to gain muscle weight but I couldnt improve my appetite to just keep stuffing food down my throat. Planning on starting again in 3 weeks while in the mean time I built a hunger to eat more.

Marius_ said:
I am/was on the same boat, I tried P90X a while back, only got through the first 3 weeks and stopped since I felt like I wasn't doing it right, my purpose was to gain muscle weight but I couldnt improve my appetite to just keep stuffing food down my throat. Planning on starting again in 3 weeks while in the mean time I built a hunger to eat more.

Ok I feel better knowing that Im not alone haha. Although yeah I forgot Ill have to change my eating habits too, which is gonna be annoying. I think Ill just try P90x, see what happens in the first few weeks like you did and then see what happens from there. Itll be about three weeks as well before I start as I have some pre-med stuff to deal with.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Man, after 2 weeks I am noticing a significant difference in my physique. I am using the P90 Master Series and so far doing Sculpt 1-2 for two days, then Cardio for one day, Sculpt for 2 days then a rest day. On each day I work out I do the Ab Ripper 100. Rince and repeat.

I have

2x 10kg dumbbells
1x Pull Up Bar (Not needed yet for exercise I am doing)
1x Yoga mat

I also take

1x Multi vitamin per day
4x 400ml water mixed with Creatine spread over the day
2x bowls of Weetbix with chocolate milk (one in the morning and one after a workout)
5 pieces of fruit and two small yogurts between bowls of Weetbix.
Dinner consists of rice, veges and white meat (either fish, skinless chicken or trim pork) six nights a week and one night I have a sirloin with a handful of spicy wedges which are oven baked.

In the last month I have lost 10kgs and now weight a nice 88 kilos which is ideal for my 6'2" height.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
MrOogieBoogie said:
Can anyone list all the exercises that require dumbbells?
I believe you need them every other day

For the 1st 3 weeks
Chest and Back
Plyometrics
Shoulders and Arms
Yoga
Legs and Back
KenpoX

MrOogieBoogie said:
Can anyone list all the exercises that require dumbbells?

Alternating Shoulder Press
In & Out Bicep Curls
Two-Arm Tricep Kickback
Deep Swimmer's Press
Full Supination Concentration Curls
Upright Row
Flip-Grip Twist Tricep Kickbacks
Two-Angle Shoulder Flys
Crouching Cohen Curls
Lying-Down Tricep Extensions
In & Out Straight-Arm Shoulder Flys
Congdon Curls
Lawnmowers
Heavy Pants
Back Flys
Calf Raise Squats
Dead Lift Squat
Toe-Roll Iso Lunge
Calf Raises
Scarecrows
Overhead Tricep Extensions
Y-Press
Pour Flys
Weighted Circles
Throw the Bomb
Slo-Mo Throws
Front-to-Back Tricep Extensions
Fly-Row Presses
Dumbbell Cross-Body Blows
Twenty-Ones
One-Arm Cross-Body Curls
Elbows-Out Lawnmowers
Standing Bicep Curls
Open Arm Curls
Static Arm Curls
Congdon Locomotives
One-Arm Corkscrew Curls
Seated Bent-Over Back Flys
Curl Up/Hammer Downs
Hammer Curls
In/Out Hammer Curls
Strip-Set Curls

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
ArachosiA 78 said:
Alternating Shoulder Press
In & Out Bicep Curls
Two-Arm Tricep Kickback
Deep Swimmer's Press
Full Supination Concentration Curls
Upright Row
Flip-Grip Twist Tricep Kickbacks
Two-Angle Shoulder Flys
Crouching Cohen Curls
Lying-Down Tricep Extensions
In & Out Straight-Arm Shoulder Flys
Congdon Curls
Lawnmowers
Heavy Pants
Back Flys
Calf Raise Squats
Dead Lift Squat
Toe-Roll Iso Lunge
Calf Raises
Scarecrows
Overhead Tricep Extensions
Y-Press
Pour Flys
Weighted Circles
Throw the Bomb
Slo-Mo Throws
Front-to-Back Tricep Extensions
Fly-Row Presses
Dumbbell Cross-Body Blows
Twenty-Ones
One-Arm Cross-Body Curls
Elbows-Out Lawnmowers
Standing Bicep Curls
Open Arm Curls
Static Arm Curls
Congdon Locomotives
One-Arm Corkscrew Curls
Seated Bent-Over Back Flys
Curl Up/Hammer Downs
Hammer Curls
In/Out Hammer Curls
Strip-Set Curls

Wow, goddamn.

Alright, I'm in very good shape (bike between 40 and 70 miles per week, run a few miles on weekends, and do tons of pull-ups and push-ups every day), so I feel like I could handle the program. I just don't have the equipment. Before I process my order, is this all I need?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PUIT0S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EJMS6K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VCDXNS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The only one I'm not completely sure about are the dumbbells. I can do about three sets of ten reps of curls with 20 lb dumbbells in each hand, and about 40 lbs in each hand during military press. 40 lb for one-arm dumbbell rows as well. This is why I feel that 40 lb set won't last me very long (as it's 20 in each hand). Any cheap plates anywhere that fit well with that bar? I don't want resistance bands, but I also can't afford those super expensive Bowflex sets where you change the weights with a dial.

Thrifty-GAF, aid me in my quest for cheap dumbbells!

I3rand0

Tkawsome said:
I don't know how they expect you to do another workout a day after plyo. Two days after my last plyo workout and I could barely walk. Hell, I'm on day three and my legs are still a little beat up. I'm not new to this routine either, I'm in the second phase so I've done this a number of times. Sucks that it knocked me out of the normal schedule but at least I know I did a great job during that last workout.

Anyway, I'm off to do back and biceps. Haven't done this one yet and I remember people saying it was rough.

Back and Biceps is my favorite workout in the program. Regarding Plyo, what day are you doing it on? During my first round, I was doing it on Tuesdays after working 8 hours and struggling plus having some of the same soreness you're encountering. Now for my second round of P90X, I switched it to Sundays where I'm making sure I'm getting enough sleep the night before plus not having to work that day and it's making a big difference.

I've got one month left to go and seriously combined part 2 of Insanity and P90X.

Schedule?

P90X in the early morning, Insanity after dinner in the evenings (I eat around 5:30pm and do Insanity around 8pm at night).

So the simple schedule is, get up, P90X, work, dinner, Insanity, sleep.

Definitely looking forward to the next step in P90X2.

Have any GAF-ers combined these two programs like this?

Warrior_Keoni said:
I've got one month left to go and seriously combined part 2 of Insanity and P90X.

Schedule?

P90X in the early morning, Insanity after dinner in the evenings (I eat around 5:30pm and do Insanity around 8pm at night).

I'm going through it now and it's killer. I'm currently on week 4, meaning it's recovery week for P90X but a regular work week for Insanity. Next week kicks off P90X Phase 2 and is recovery for Insanity.

I was considering changing up the schedule to combine the recovery weeks somehow, but I figured the more I think about it, the more likely it is I'm going to slip up in my discipline, so I decided just to go through it mindlessly.

What are you doing for month 3? Repeating Insanity part 2? Also, are you doing the MAX replacement workouts in Insanity?

Battersea Power Station said:
I'm going through it now and it's killer. I'm currently on week 4, meaning it's recovery week for P90X but a regular work week for Insanity. Next week kicks off P90X Phase 2 and is recovery for Insanity.

I was considering changing up the schedule to combine the recovery weeks somehow, but I figured the more I think about it, the more likely it is I'm going to slip up in my discipline, so I decided just to go through it mindlessly.

What are you doing for month 3? Repeating Insanity part 2? Also, are you doing the MAX replacement workouts in Insanity?

Nope, I'm in month 3 of P90X as of next week, and the 2nd month of Insanity also begins. This week is a recovery week for me, but I'll be doing a mixture of the two again during the fall months.

And yes, I plan to switch up the insanity workouts with MAX interval training for the next round in the fall.

Rad-

Marius_ said:

I'd buy some protein supplements. Milk + that 2-3 times per day goes down like nothing and gives a nice ~75-100 g of protein.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
MrOogieBoogie said:
Wow, goddamn.

Alright, I'm in very good shape (bike between 40 and 70 miles per week, run a few miles on weekends, and do tons of pull-ups and push-ups every day), so I feel like I could handle the program. I just don't have the equipment. Before I process my order, is this all I need?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PUIT0S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EJMS6K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VCDXNS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The only one I'm not completely sure about are the dumbbells. I can do about three sets of ten reps of curls with 20 lb dumbbells in each hand, and about 40 lbs in each hand during military press. 40 lb for one-arm dumbbell rows as well. This is why I feel that 40 lb set won't last me very long (as it's 20 in each hand). Any cheap plates anywhere that fit well with that bar? I don't want resistance bands, but I also can't afford those super expensive Bowflex sets where you change the weights with a dial.

Thrifty-GAF, aid me in my quest for cheap dumbbells!

GAF, you're cold-blooded. :(

MrOogieBoogie said:
GAF, you're cold-blooded. :(
I bought quite a few York iron dumbbells and spinlock bars but you don't seem to be able to buy them in the states.

However you will need a variety of different weights for different muscle groups so it is worth investing in more bars and weights.

I3rand0 said:
Back and Biceps is my favorite workout in the program. Regarding Plyo, what day are you doing it on? During my first round, I was doing it on Tuesdays after working 8 hours and struggling plus having some of the same soreness you're encountering. Now for my second round of P90X, I switched it to Sundays where I'm making sure I'm getting enough sleep the night before plus not having to work that day and it's making a big difference.

I mainly follow the schedule in order, only difference is every now and then I'll pop in Kempo or take a day or two between sessions. I run frequently, but never really worked out my legs, so that could be why I'm getting beat up over the routine. I love it, I know I'm doing a great job when it gets like this, it just means I'll need to take a small break before I move onto the next step.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Warrior_Keoni said:

Schedule?

The changes that P90X2 is harder than doing P90X and Insanity at the same time is somewhere around 0.

FreeMufasa

bionic77 said:
+ dumbbells
+ water bottle
+ towel

I was wondering, are dumbells + chin up bar neccessary? I don't want to lift weights and after and I don't think my door can support a chin up bar. Are there any alternatives?

Septimius

FreeMufasa said:
I was wondering, are dumbells + chin up bar neccessary? I don't want to lift weights and after and I don't think my door can support a chin up bar. Are there any alternatives?

What?

....What??

I don't know if you consider it "not lifting weights", but resistance bands can replace all dumbell exercises, and all pull-up exercises. One of the four people doing the workout on the video uses the bands for everything.

..but, seriously - what?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, I'm thinking of starting p90x this September but should I if p90x2 is just around the corner?

Septimius

Dr Eggman said:
Shit, I'm thinking of starting p90x this September but should I if p90x2 is just around the corner?

Unless you're in insane shape, P90X will kick your butt and back. It is more than enough to keep any 'normal fit' guy exhausted for 90 days, and if you have a longer term goal - to get INSANELY fit over 180 days, P90X->P90X2 would be the obvious choice, over P90X2 x2, because you'd get bored with doing the same thing twice, and so would your body. (ie, not enough muscle confusion)

EDIT: Besides, if you do P90X2, then want something more when you're done, P90X might not cut it. But remember, this is already a program that's extreme. P90 would be the lowest starting point. So you're probably about to experience some of the hardest shit you've ever done, even if you start with "only" P90X

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Septimius said:
Unless you're in insane shape, P90X will kick your butt and back. It is more than enough to keep any 'normal fit' guy exhausted for 90 days, and if you have a longer term goal - to get INSANELY fit over 180 days, P90X->P90X2 would be the obvious choice, over P90X2 x2, because you'd get bored with doing the same thing twice, and so would your body. (ie, not enough muscle confusion)
Yeah that makes sense. I'm not fit but I'm willing to take the challenge of p90x so I'll start with that and then move on to the sequel if it actually all works out.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I'm interested in trying this, but for two issues:

1) I work a four on, four off shift work schedule. How flexible is the program? I hear a lot of people saying it's five or six days a week, which I don't think would be a huge deal as long as the sessions aren't like two hours.

2) My apartment doesn't have a suitable door for a pull up bar. Will this be a major issue?

The resistance days are 1h 15m, cardio days are 1h and the yoga day is 1h 30m, so nothing too crazy.

As for the lack of suitable door frame, you can always use a resistance band with a door attachment. It won't be as good as a pull up bar but it'll still make you work if you have the right band.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
DOO13ER said:
I'm interested in trying this, but for two issues:

1) I work a four on, four off shift work schedule. How flexible is the program? I hear a lot of people saying it's five or six days a week, which I don't think would be a huge deal as long as the sessions aren't like two hours.

2) My apartment doesn't have a suitable door for a pull up bar. Will this be a major issue?
If you have an hour of free time at your house, you have enough time to do P90x.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
runlikehell said:
The resistance days are 1h 15m, cardio days are 1h and the yoga day is 1h 30m, so nothing too crazy.

As for the lack of suitable door frame, you can always use a resistance band with a door attachment. It won't be as good as a pull up bar but it'll still make you work if you have the right band.

Thanks. It sucks because my old apartment had perfect doors for a pull up bar but at this place there's hardly any clearance above the frame for it to hang off of.

I'll give it a shot. I need a better mix of resistance and cardio.

Noirulus

Hey guys, I finally bought the P90x equipment. I'm wondering which of the program is best for losing weight? (AKA the easiest P90x program)

I started messing around with P90x about two years ago (already had a gym membership and just wanted to see what it was all about).

Gotta say, the ab workout is one of the best I've come across, and while I obviously don't do the P90x routine, I will ocassionally fire up the ab ripper workout video at home. Damn those Fifer Scissors sometimes! lol

Septimius

Noirulus said:
Hey guys, I finally bought the P90x equipment. I'm wondering which of the program is best for losing weight? (AKA the easiest P90x program)

The classic. Or, I mean, if you think weight is weight, then you can do loads of unhealthy things to your body and lose tons of weight. But losing fat? Lifting weights is one of the best ways to lose fat. Combine that with the cardio training in P90X, or my favourite, HIIT, and you'll be on the healthiest way to lose fat, increase strength and improve your overall health you can be. Remember that it's not healthy to lose more than 2-3 lbs a week. Lean is really meant for the long distance sport kind of guy, that doesn't want to increase muscle mass, because it'll be detrimental to his performance.

The double is for the insanely trained crowd. If you stress your body too much by not eating enough and/or exercising too much, your body will start counter-acting the fat-loss by having a steady stream of cortisol, which will be a huge hit for the motivation. Eat enough, work out, but not too much (especially don't do too much cardio - HIIT is optimal for fat-loss while avoiding excess cortisol and other negative effects from hitting the catabolic state you do when you run for a long time), and get a life-style you can stay with, and that's the way you'll stay forever healthy, and not be fit for two months, then bounce right back to the couch and the candy.

neoemonk

I couldn't pass the fitness test, but decided I would try it anyway. After the first day I couldn't even sit down or stand up without incredible pain. I'm amazed that people are combining this with another workout in the same day.

Septimius

neoemonk said:
I couldn't pass the fitness test, but decided I would try it anyway. After the first day I couldn't even sit down or stand up without incredible pain. I'm amazed that people are combining this with another workout in the same day.

Yeah, there's no shame in starting without passing. Remember to not push through if you're in actual pain from the earlier days' workouts. If you're sore and can work out, do it - if you're in pain, let it be. Stretch well over the next days, and get ready to get used to this :D

(the pain will go away)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Day 1, complete. I'm shooting for 24 days in a row (just in time for PAX), maybe skipping sundays.

Wish me luck. Chest and back kicked my ass so hard I could barely do ab ripper. Fuck this is going to be a long month.

Septimius

Dacvak said:
Day 1, complete. I'm shooting for 24 days in a row (just in time for PAX), maybe skipping sundays.

Wish me luck. Chest and back kicked my ass so hard I could barely do ab ripper. Fuck this is going to be a long month.

You need one day of rest. Also, what's PAX?

Noirulus

Septimius said:
The classic. Or, I mean, if you think weight is weight, then you can do loads of unhealthy things to your body and lose tons of weight. But losing fat? Lifting weights is one of the best ways to lose fat. Combine that with the cardio training in P90X, or my favourite, HIIT, and you'll be on the healthiest way to lose fat, increase strength and improve your overall health you can be. Remember that it's not healthy to lose more than 2-3 lbs a week. Lean is really meant for the long distance sport kind of guy, that doesn't want to increase muscle mass, because it'll be detrimental to his performance.

The double is for the insanely trained crowd. If you stress your body too much by not eating enough and/or exercising too much, your body will start counter-acting the fat-loss by having a steady stream of cortisol, which will be a huge hit for the motivation. Eat enough, work out, but not too much (especially don't do too much cardio - HIIT is optimal for fat-loss while avoiding excess cortisol and other negative effects from hitting the catabolic state you do when you run for a long time), and get a life-style you can stay with, and that's the way you'll stay forever healthy, and not be fit for two months, then bounce right back to the couch and the candy.

Thank you very very much for all the advice, I appreciate it very much! I'm just really hoping my body is strong enough to do the program at all. I plan on eating healthy, and a sufficient amount (I already have my diet plan ready, just need a good exercise one!)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Day 2. Made it through 75% of plyo, then just stopped. I'm still super wiped from day 1. Plus, I think I'm eating like shit. No breakfast, basically just a bit of meat for lunch... My current diet does not give me enough energy for this, at all.

Anyone have any recommendations for someone comboing slow-carb with P90X?

I3rand0

So I'm starting a GMAT Prep class on Monday. My current workout schedule starts Saturday and runs to Thursday. Should I...

a) Keep starting my weeks on Saturday and use Monday as my rest day for the week? (So I would do Chest, Shoulders, Tris on Saturday, Plyo on Sunday, rest Monday, and pick it back up on Tuesday). This is the option I am leaning towards.

or

b) Start my next week workout on Tuesday and readjust my schedule so every new week starts Tuesday and use the next Monday as my rest day.

Basically I'm not sure if moving my rest day to the middle of my workout week will affect anything.

FOOTE

FreeMufasa said:
Resistance bands can replace both I suppose. However, there is a lot of lifting and a lot of pull ups, the bands are always shown as an "alternate way of doing it" Also the chin up bars you buy on the internet don't pull the weight of your body straight down, most(if not ALL) is pulled back towards you, so your door should be able to hold.

Random thought not directed at anyone in particular. Your DVDs came with a nutrition guide, use it.

Top Bottom