• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

Noirulus

So guys, I tried day 1 of classic. I was fucked half way through. I couldn't do any damn pushups and I realized that there's no place in my house for a damn pull up bar or the resistance band pull ups, but I may be able to make a way. So the problem is pushups.. I can't seem to do more than 2 or 3... what the heck do I do? :( The program was Chest and back.

Noirulus said:
So guys, I tried day 1 of classic. I was fucked half way through. I couldn't do any damn pushups and I realized that there's no place in my house for a damn pull up bar or the resistance band pull ups, but I may be able to make a way. So the problem is pushups.. I can't seem to do more than 2 or 3... what the heck do I do? :( The program was Chest and back.
I'm not talking as somebody who's in amazing shape or anything. But I remember only 6 months back really struggling to reach 10 pushups. I was told, (by somebody on here I think) to just do them throughout the day, everyday and rest at the weekend. So I did 10 sets spread out through the day of as many as I could. Once I found I was doing the current amount of reps easy, I added 1 or 2 on. In a few weeks you'll really notice yourself coming along.

I3rand0

I3rand0 said:
So I'm starting a GMAT Prep class on Monday. My current workout schedule starts Saturday and runs to Thursday. Should I...

a) Keep starting my weeks on Saturday and use Monday as my rest day for the week? (So I would do Chest, Shoulders, Tris on Saturday, Plyo on Sunday, rest Monday, and pick it back up on Tuesday). This is the option I am leaning towards.

or

b) Start my next week workout on Tuesday and readjust my schedule so every new week starts Tuesday and use the next Monday as my rest day.

Basically I'm not sure if moving my rest day to the middle of my workout week will affect anything.

Bumping my question for a new page in case anyone can offer any insight.

Noirulus

Kylehimself said:
I'm not talking as somebody who's in amazing shape or anything. But I remember only 6 months back really struggling to reach 10 pushups. I was told, (by somebody on here I think) to just do them throughout the day, everyday and rest at the weekend. So I did 10 sets spread out through the day of as many as I could. Once I found I was doing the current amount of reps easy, I added 1 or 2 on. In a few weeks you'll really notice yourself coming along.

Hmm, yeah. I think if I just keep at the program i'll get better...

I did Ab ripper X today and holy shit I am not sure how i'm supposed to do both this AND chest and back in 1 day (day 1 of the schedule, but i tried chest&back yesterday and ab ripper today) I couldn't keep up with it, I couldn't do 70% of the exercises properly and it still kicked my ass.

I suppose it'll get better if I just continue at my pace working on it as hard as I can. I've heard that Plyo is the toughest program.. let's see how i'm gonna be tommorow :p

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Day 4. I haven't missed a day, but I'm just too exhausted to get through the entire workout. I wimped out about 30 minutes into Yoga X and just ended up doing a few sets of kettlebell swings to get my heartrate sky-high for the day.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Dacvak said:
Day 4. I haven't missed a day, but I'm just too exhausted to get through the entire workout. I wimped out about 30 minutes into Yoga X and just ended up doing a few sets of kettlebell swings to get my heartrate sky-high for the day.

I'm on week 3 of the lean schedule and so I just did Yoga X for the 3rd time. Couldn't really get passed 30-40 minutes for the first two and came close to quitting today, but once you stick it out for about 40-45 minutes, you stop doing vinyasas and it changes up.

I3rand0

Yoga is all about that first 45 minutes. Once you get past the moving asanas, the difficulty really goes downhill from there.

Nelo Ice

Banned
surprised ppl cant finish yoga its actually one of my favorites workouts and after like the first month or so ive just powered through it and its also insanely relaxing

FOOTE

Nelo Ice said:
surprised ppl cant finish yoga its actually one of my favorites workouts and after like the first month or so ive just powered through it and its also insanely relaxing
The first 45 minutes of yogax is extremely intense. It never surprises me to hear someone cannot finish it.

Just remember everyone, if you can get passes the first 45 minutes you will most likely be able to finish the DVD.

Noirulus said:

I take it you didn't do the Fit Test before getting started with the program. They state in there that you should be able to do a minimum of 15 pushups.

I would suggest starting out plain old P90. Then work your way up to P90X. That's exactly what they tell you to do in the P90X fitness guide, too. Try not to feel discouraged. Everyone has different fitness levels. P90X is really designed for people that are already relatively fit.

I3rand0

Any recommendations for a different workout I can substitute for Kenpo? I was thinking of trying one from Insanity or P90X+, but wasn't sure what was a good one to choose.

Dacvak said:

I wouldn't worry about trying to get through all the workouts when your just starting. my first week was so brutal I could barely move my arms without agonizing pain. now after 10weeks i never get DOMS anymore. I also added a 40min run 3days a week and a 30min weight lifting 3days a week in phase2.

next week keep going with the yoga, the first 45min is the hardest but after that it's fairly relaxing. you will be surprised how fast you progress and how much better your technique improves.

ArachosiA 78 said:
I take it you didn't do the Fit Test before getting started with the program. They state in there that you should be able to do a minimum of 15 pushups.

I would suggest starting out plain old P90. Then work your way up to P90X. That's exactly what they tell you to do in the P90X fitness guide, too. Try not to feel discouraged. Everyone has different fitness levels. P90X is really designed for people that are already relatively fit.

I think he should be alright with trying to get through the program without investing in a different one. by phase 3 he should be able to do the fit test. like Tony says you can "modify, modify, modify"

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Anybody done both this and Insanity and have a recommendations as to which is better? I'm 6'3" about 195-200 pounds and looking to drop 15-20 pounds.

You'll drop weight in both. Keep in mind Insanity has no free weight or resistance exercises. It's virtually all cardio. And intense cardio at that. There are pushups in almost every workout though, but not too many.

If you're really out of shape cardio-wise, start with P90X. IMO you'll get a more balanced workout there anyway. Insanity is much more focused on legs/cardio, so if that's what you're looking for by all means start there, but it most certainly is more difficult.

They're very different programs with different goals.

Atrus

Noirulus said:

I've been here before when I was in Junior High.
Try this as an easy step to improve your pushups: http://hundredpushups.com/

If you keep up with it, push-ups are going to be a breeze in no time. Just remember the 2 seconds up and 2 seconds down to get more out of each push-up and try to squeeze your chest together at the top. Form is better than numbers.

After you can do dozens (and you will if you stick to a regimen), you can then try out all the different styles. It's actually one of the most entertaining forms of exercise because there are many variations you can switch to once you've mastered the basic one and you can crank them out in the many places in life where you're forced to do nothing else but wait (like the microwave).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
After a 3-day break, I'm back in. Did about 50% of legs & back and a FULL Ab Ripper X. Feelin' good, despite my doughy physique. =P

results so far...in the second month of the second round
XBo0W.png

aWvSI.png

went down from 165lbs to 155

Einbroch

Banned
Okay, well, been doing Lean for about 2 weeks. It was going pretty good, but I wanted more strength training.

Lost about 7 pounds in two weeks, but I'm noticing loose skin (was 330 two years ago, now down to 250) so I'm thinking strength training is a good idea. Going for the regular routine.

Yay/Nay?

Septimius

Regular is great for fat loss. Remember there's a difference between weight loss and fat loss. Remember that 2.5lbs is max you want to lose per week, so 7 is too much. The lose skin will figure itself out in time, but general good health and strength training is a great way to go. Lean is likely to take away muscle along with fat. That's the short version of it, anyway :)

Just shout if you want an elaboration!

Einbroch

Banned
So is it a good idea to replace cardio days with some outdoor activities? I like to bike and swim when it's warm enough, and I like to go on jogs with my dogs. I just find Kenpo X and Plyo X boring. I won't replace Yoga, I know it's important.

Septimius

Einbroch said:
So is it a good idea to replace cardio days with some outdoor activities? I like to bike and swim when it's warm enough, and I like to go on jogs with my dogs. I just find Kenpo X and Plyo X boring. I won't replace Yoga, I know it's important.

I'm still a huge advocate for HIIT, especially when it comes to fat loss. Do 1 minute of "OH MY GOD, I'M GONNA DIE", then 1:30 of resting (walk/slow jog, based on your fitness). Do that 12 times. The benefit of that is that you don't reach the catabolic state, wherein you also lose muscle, and you keep cortisol levels low. Why is that important? Because too much cortisol over too long of a period will prevent you from losing weight.

Outside of the benefits mentioned above, you'll also put less strain on your knees. And it takes 25 minutes! The beauty of that way of training is that you get crazy gains in cardiovascular strenght, but also increased fatloss, through what's known as "EPOC", or Excess Post-training Oxygen Consumption. That means that when you're on your couch feel good about yourself after that workout (which you've earned all right to be - it's a bitch to do), your body will use more oxygen to recover from the intensity. 3 times a week of that will give you better gains than doing 5 hours of jogging a week, in terms of O2Max, and you're likely to really boost your weightloss. I'd guess you could easily reach 2-2.5 lbs a week, which is really the max advisable.

NYR

Einbroch said:
I replace plyo with biking - 15 to 20 kilometers.

I have a busted knee, which really gets destroyed doing plyo. I actually wreaked it from plyo x when I did p90x the second time, torn meniscus.

Watch those knees, boys, you'll miss them when they are gone, TRUST ME.

Septimius

NYR said:
I replace plyo with biking - 15 to 20 kilometers.

I have a busted knee, which really gets destroyed doing plyo. I actually wreaked it from plyo x when I did p90x the second time, torn meniscus.

Watch those knees, boys, you'll miss them when they are gone, TRUST ME.

This is why I do my cardio in an elliptical. Running in stairs (the up part) is great for recovering meniscus problems. I had a paper route back when my first knee with a failed meniscus gave in. Best thing I ever did. I have not ever since been bothered by that knee. My other knee started complaining some years later. I have not had a paper route since then, and even though my general fitness these days means it doesn't bother me, I still get a swollen knee after hiking in the woods.

Septimius said:
This is why I do my cardio in an elliptical. Running in stairs (the up part) is great for recovering meniscus problems. I had a paper route back when my first knee with a failed meniscus gave in. Best thing I ever did. I have not ever since been bothered by that knee. My other knee started complaining some years later. I have not had a paper route since then, and even though my general fitness these days means it doesn't bother me, I still get a swollen knee after hiking in the woods.

I do HIIT on an elliptical as well, it works great for sudden changes in speed. I am curious though, do you find your gains on an elliptical reflect onto other types of running (treadmill or outdoors)? I'm curious because I can run 5+ miles on an elliptical and my best mile time was 4:50. Meanwhile, I'm getting my ass kicked at two miles on a treadmill and my best time is 7:10. Are ellipticals just easier? Because that difference really stands out to me.

Bildocube said:
How does GAF feel about Shakeology? Its very pricey.. Rip off or good supplement?
I think Beachbody make a lot of money from selling your their supplements. You could probably find other alternatives for a cheaper price.

Septimius

Tkawsome said:
I do HIIT on an elliptical as well, it works great for sudden changes in speed. I am curious though, do you find your gains on an elliptical reflect onto other types of running (treadmill or outdoors)? I'm curious because I can run 5+ miles on an elliptical and my best mile time was 4:50. Meanwhile, I'm getting my ass kicked at two miles on a treadmill and my best time is 7:10. Are ellipticals just easier? Because that difference really stands out to me.

I don't translate miles, I doubt it translates well. Do what you do best on the elliptical. If you are about to die at the end of your active phase in HIIT you'll get all you can get out of HIIT. You use your arms, too, on an elliptical, which explains why it's faster, but that doesn't mean it's bad by any means. Running outside or on a treadmill requires some different type of work from some different types of muscles, so think of your elliptical HIIT rounds as a way to increase your cardiovascular strength, and as a way of increasing your oxygen uptake. This will of course greatly benefit you for running, but I wouldn't recommend an Olympic runner to only use an elliptical.

Simplet

Tkawsome said:

Ah ah that must look pretty funny, doing HIIT on an elliptical, don't think I'd have the balls to do it in a gym.

OG Kush

As someone who's on the 3rd week of Insanitiy, how will I find p90x after I finish the 2 months of Insanity? Will it still kick my butt?

Simplet said:
Ah ah that must look pretty funny, doing HIIT on an elliptical, don't think I'd have the balls to do it in a gym.

Way I see it, you already look ridiculous on an elliptical so you might as well rock it. It's not that bad though, but I do hold onto the handle bars while doing sprints so my arms aren't flailing around.

OG Kush said:
As someone who's on the 3rd week of Insanitiy, how will I find p90x after I finish the 2 months of Insanity? Will it still kick my butt?
P90X's cardio is a joke compared to insanity, so consider a hybrid with insanity or the asylum if you want something new.

Septimius

Simplet said:

So? The are some things that should not be considered by "how you look". Elliptical. Trekking poles. They're things that people say "oh, but I look stupid", but that has huge benefits. You're working out to make yourself healthy, but refusing to take care of your body because you look stupid?

Jezan

What should I do if I miss one day of Insanity or P90x ? Should I skip that day , or just do it the next day and continue like if I didn't miss it?

(I hate you Insanity but you are awesome <3 )

Jezan said:
What should I do if I miss one day of Insanity or P90x ? Should I skip that day , or just do it the next day and continue like if I didn't miss it?

(I hate you Insanity but you are awesome <3 )

Just continue where you left off. It wouldn't make any sense to just skip it. I miss days all the time because of my schedule, to me all that means is it's going to take a little longer to finish.

noah111

Still Alive
I've had my tabs on P90X for a long while now, when I used to be a bit fat I wanted to get into it, but then something happened in life and within a year o've become skinny/scronny.

Should I still do P90X if i'm skinny? How well is it for pure muscle gain and not fat lossage, would it be healthy/safe for me is basically what i'm asking.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Sentry said:
I've had my tabs on P90X for a long while now, when I used to be a bit fat I wanted to get into it, but then something happened in life and within a year o've become skinny/scronny.

Should I still do P90X if i'm skinny? How well is it for pure muscle gain and not fat lossage, would it be healthy/safe for me is basically what i'm asking.

would be safe sure. You'll gain muscle, it's not ideal for 'bulking up' though. It's better for turning you into a lean/strong person. But if you're really skinny you should build up a lot of muscle (provided you eat right)

noah111

Still Alive
Right, I don't mean I want to get really big or anything, but I do want more muscle. I just look too skinny at the moment, and want some more leanness.

How should someone like me (a bit skinny) eat during the workout? I'm almost afraid of getting a fat stomach along with muscle gain. :s

NYR said:
Wow, looks like you need way more equipment this to time around. That's disappointing, I like how p90x is just a pull-up bar and weights, simple, easy to store and use.
Yeah, I'm a bit turned off by that as well. But it looks so serious that I might just shell out. We'll see. If I get into it, though, I'm also going to want to start rock climbing and skiing and shit like that. I can't be as fit as the dudes in that video and let it go to waste!

Septimius

Sentry said:
Right, I don't mean I want to get really big or anything, but I do want more muscle. I just look too skinny at the moment, and want some more leanness.

How should someone like me (a bit skinny) eat during the workout? I'm almost afraid of getting a fat stomach along with muscle gain. :s

Calculate your daily caloric need with P90X and eat that. You can go straight to the second phase of the diet. Get your daily need of protein (around 1 gram of protein per pound), and then just do whatever the hell you want with the rest, really, as long as it's not white bread and sugar. You don't have to deprive yourself of carbs, like people who want to lose fat will have to, which is great, because you'll be able to push yourself harder during the workout, and get better strength gains. If you want to start by maintaining your fat percentage, eat your daily caloric need. Simple as that.

You really, really, really won't gain a fat stomach by eating healthy and working out like crazy, which P90X requires you to do. Eat a lot. It's hard to gain fat and muscle at the same time, lest you eat 4000 calories a day. It's nothing to worry about. Even if you do think "hmm, I could drop some body fat" after the first month, you can correct it then.

You won't get huge over night, not with muscle and not with fat. It's not like you're stuck with your diet forever once you start P90X.

I know we've discussed adjustable weights earlier in this thread, but I'm bringing it up again: are they sturdy enough to rest your body weight on them for the push-up-related exercises? What are the common recommendations?

Septimius

Battersea Power Station said:
I know we've discussed adjustable weights earlier in this thread, but I'm bringing it up again: are they sturdy enough to rest your body weight on them for the push-up-related exercises? What are the common recommendations?

You wanna use your dumbbells as push-up bars, like Tony does? Adjustable normally have circular disks. And I doubt there's any way you can use them in a safe way. If you can't look at them and say "this is a good idea", go and get some 20$ pushup bars. It's like Tony says "the point here is not to smash your face".

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Battersea Power Station said:

I do it with my PowerBlock and it works fine.

Push-up bars probably work better, since you kind of have to reach down into the PowerBlock to grab the handle.

Septimius said:
You wanna use your dumbbells as push-up bars, like Tony does? Adjustable normally have circular disks. And I doubt there's any way you can use them in a safe way. If you can't look at them and say "this is a good idea", go and get some 20$ pushup bars. It's like Tony says "the point here is not to smash your face".
I was looking ahead to P90X2 which seems to be more dynamic and includes a few moves where you're both on top of the weights and then lifting them up to use them. I'll check out the PowerBlocks which are square.

andycapps

Well I pretty much finished P90X a month or two ago, I got really sick for about 2 weeks and missed the last 3. I took a month off and have started Insanity. I got some pretty decent results during P90X, lost a lot of fat, got a lot more lean, didn't lose a ton of weight.. Which is okay. When I started Insanity (just finished week 2 today) I was at about 213 or 214, now I'm about 208 or 209. I will probably post some pictures at the end as I've been taking them at the end of each week. Definitely noticing what's left of my love handles to be shrinking every day and some oblique muscle definition finally coming. Which is nuts, for me. I've always been one of those guys that puts on fat there and in my hips. Both of those are shrinking and a lot more definition in my stomach so far.

Much happier with the cardio results with Insanity than P90X, though I will say that P90X prepared my body physically for the craziness that is Insanity. It is still absolutely brutal and I can't finish all the workouts but I'm doing about 80% or more of them. The cardio is just so much more intense that at about 25-30 minutes in I am gasping for air and about to throw up.

I'm definitely feeling the effects of poor diet when it comes to exercise. I tried Plyometrics for the first time in a long time and I didn't have any energy at all after eating eggs + bacon. I had more energy when I had less muscle and more fat...

My future morning diet regime:

1 slice of wholemeal bread + jam

EXERCISE

recovery drink (250ml chocolate milk)

4 scrambled eggs (2 whole + 2 egg whites) + 2 rashers of bacon

Top Bottom