• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart |OT| From Russia With Love

GymWolf

Explore well people, some blueprints for the weapons can be missed and they make a huge difference.

P.s.

No vignette and chromatic aberration

Add to Engine.ini for no Chromatic Aberration and no Vignette

[SystemSettings]
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=1
So umm, i know i posted this one, but do i just need to copy all the thing in the engine.ini folder and save&exit right?:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

SCB3

The checkpoint system can be a bit harsh, not the worst but having to replay large sections cause of weird stuff is rough

GymWolf

Think so!

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Engine:Unreal_Engine_4#Anisotropic_filtering_.28AF.29

The stuff for the choppy animations fix is a bit more complicated tho, needs a bit more tinkering.
umm...where the fuck is the engine.ini file? i can't find it...

is this the right location?

%LOCALAPPDATA%\AtomicHeart\Saved\Config

edit: ok i think i found it, it's inside windowsNoEditor folder

Yo T TintoConCasera have you tried these changes i posted early?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
umm...where the fuck is the engine.ini file? i can't find it...

is this the right location?

%LOCALAPPDATA%\AtomicHeart\Saved\Config

edit: ok i think i found it, it's inside windowsNoEditor folder

Yo T TintoConCasera have you tried these changes i posted early?
Not yet! Let me know if they work please. 🙏

Flabagast

Do the graphics hold up when comparing to the trailers/gameplay vids leading up to release?
I think so yeah (apart from the ray tracing stuff obviously)

Kind of impressed tbh as I always thought those trailers were kinda bullshitty (and I also strongly believed somehow that console versions would be a disaster, which is not the case at all in the end)

Last edited:

saintjules

I think so yeah (apart from the ray tracing stuff obviously)

Kind of impressed tbh as I always thought those trailers were kinda bullshitty (and I also strongly believed somehow that console versions would be a disaster, which is not the case at all in the end)

Thanks! Yeah, I was suspecting it was a high end PC for most of the footage. Cool to see that it lived up in that regard.

Now I am curious to see what others do as the generation moves on. From a FPS genre standpoint, perhaps it's the best looking one so far?

FoxMcChief

I was remote playing this at work and my daughter turned on the tv.

FpmOhxhaMAA-gUq

FpmOr0yaIAAEbJY

simpatico

This game is absolutely amazing so far. Reminds me of the great AA FPS titles of yore. Big Singularity vibes, both aesthetically and figuratively. The performance is mind blowing for me. I've got an i5 and GTX1080 and I'm damn near locked 60fps on high with no tweaks whatsoever. (1920x1080). I can't even think of the last big game that ran this well for me, and it looks fucking amazing. I'm only a couple hours in at most, only had time for a sneak peek before the weekend sesh. Huge props to these devs. They just shit all over the scene of multiplatform PC releases. This will be our shield any time we need to go complain to devs about the performance of a new release.

The game itself seems cool too. I'm not far enough to say, hell I don't even have a ranged weapon yet, but everything seems like it's going to be awesome. I'm very biased, as AA SP FPS games are my favorite genre, and I have a huge loving heart for Eastern European Jankware. Just a match made in absolute heavens. Fingers crossed that it will be as good as it seems!

Played another 2 hours tonight.
I see what all the fridge talk is about. 😅
Im starting to get the hang of the upgrade menu.
the first area with all the forklifts zooming around was really glitchy On Series X.
If you’re into Lore you almost have to stand still while things talk or else you miss things.
Game has way more dialog than I was a expecting.
The game is way more in general than I was expecting. Really liking it so far.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Some of the spinny dodads on ships and windmills have a strange blockiness to them and it's almost like that temporal displacement of some blocks that reconstruction techniques are famous for. Is this using FSR 1.0 at launch? Series S here. I'm reading the devs mentioned 2.1 but it's not here at launch, hopefully that can sharpen it and make it more stable later.

Hugare

I'm in love with this game

Even droped Hogwarts Legacy completely

I usually focus on the main quests in open world games, so maybe that's why I'm not bothered by the respawn rate. But from what I've seen on the internet, only the first village is problematic, and the rest of the open world is ok. And thats also my impression thus far.

Every area looks amazing. And the scope is massive. The art team did a tremendous job, seriously. I'm at the museum right now, and time and time again I drop my jaw on the floor. Level design is excellent.

Not only visually interesting, but I love the worldbuilding. Signs, posters, dead bodies that talk to you, mailboxes, voice diaries and etc. It really immerses you.

Also, people saying the gameplay is boring must be nuts. Melee packs a punch, and every blow cuts your enemies realistically, exposing their internal parts, very satisfying. Same with bullet shots.
Powers are fun to use, and being tied to cool down instead of "mana" is the right way to do it. Mass Telekinesis is always awesome.
Since Bioshock Infinite, there was no other game that played like this. And that game is 10 years old already. And this one plays better. So WTF with those people saying that this game has "mundane" gameplay.

Puzzles are also really great so far. The platforming with magnets was awesome, and the beams puzzles are also clever.

Story is nothing to write home about so far, but its been stimulating enough to keep me interested.

If theres no nosedive in terms of quality later on, I see this game being on my GOTY list, 100%.

Crazy how my opinion with new games have been so different from reviewers lately. Callisto Protocol is my GOTY so far, and that game was obliterated by critics. And now Atomic Heart. And I found God of War Ragnarok to be the most boring game that I've played recently.

For their first project, I'm so impressed with Mundfish.

Last edited:

Alex11

Great game, but to me it has some annoying things, one of them is that too often my character gets stuck in the geometry, ladders, crates, etc., at one time got stuck repeatedly in some little piece of iron on the floor in the middle of the fight, was not fun.
But the one thing that I really hate is the endless respawn of robots in the open areas of the game. That is a big no no for me, as I like to search every little corner on the map. And at one point I had a lock puzzle thing in an area with robots, a mini boss and of course those endless repair fuckers that kept coming, I stopped counting at 30, I mean, that's just weird.

The inside area in the beginning felt like a whole other game, so amazing. But this open world stuff and the issue that I mentioned, don't know, I really want to keep playing, but it's getting on my nerves.

GymWolf

Great game, but to me it has some annoying things, one of them is that too often my character gets stuck in the geometry, ladders, crates, etc., at one time got stuck repeatedly in some little piece of iron on the floor in the middle of the fight, was not fun.
But the one thing that I really hate is the endless respawn of robots in the open areas of the game. That is a big no no for me, as I like to search every little corner on the map. And at one point I had a lock puzzle thing in an area with robots, a mini boss and of course those endless repair fuckers that kept coming, I stopped counting at 30, I mean, that's just weird.

The inside area in the beginning felt like a whole other game, so amazing. But this open world stuff and the issue that I mentioned, don't know, I really want to keep playing, but it's getting on my nerves.
Someone is gonna mod that out most probably.

M1987

Thanks! Yeah, I was suspecting it was a high end PC for most of the footage. Cool to see that it lived up in that regard.

Now I am curious to see what others do as the generation moves on. From a FPS genre standpoint, perhaps it's the best looking one so far?
It's top 5 best looking games I have ever seen

Why oh why would add to FPS game absolutely needless and extremely limited inventory and BS encumberment system, which are constantly getting in your way for absolutely no good reason and forcing you to waste your time on dismantling stuff for resources using vending machine? But at the same time, there's the best looting system that was ever creatied for a video game. WTF?

mrmustard

4-5 hours in, loving this game so far. After the first 30 minutes i was afraid this would be another walk + talk borefest, but luckily after that it's 100% gameplay until now.

Roberts

The more I play it the more I like it and I haven't even finished the initial base (just collected the 4th canister). Most of humour is terrible mostly because it just doesn't translate all that well from Russian, but it's not without a few good laughs - convos with dead people are often hilarious and explanation why radio plays songs from 70's and 80's was pretty damn funny. Melee combat is fun and these light puzzles are not bad. It can be genuinely creepy when it wants to be, looks great (where the fuck is HDR, tho?). I wish it didn't rely on scripted even so much and environment was at least partially destructive. Anyway, way better than I though it would be.

The checkpoint system can be a bit harsh, not the worst but having to replay large sections cause of weird stuff is rough
I've been playing on easy and the difficulty is perfect for me. The combat has weight, and everything is pretty fun but I still get hit and have to heal a few times on occasion. I personally don't think the combat is good enough to want to push myself to master tough fights, so I'm just enjoying the ride.

Last edited:

SCB3

I've been playing on easy and the difficulty is perfect for me. The combat has weight, and everything is pretty fun but I still get hit and have to heal a few times on occasion. I personally don't think the combat is good enough to want to push myself to master tough fights, so I'm just enjoying the ride.
I may do that same to just enjoy the ride, it’s not a game I’m gonna replay I don’t think so a once through would be enough

Mine never seems to update on its own even though I have it set to do so.
Installing this game I've learned a few things, The update wanted to start but I did not have enough space on the internal drive, and even though I had the expansion card set to never leave the Series X it would not span the update over to the expansion card.
Hey Microsoft. FIX that.
Conspiracy theory-The recent system update where they put the console in power saving mode by default was to mask that the background updates don't work. Or I'm just jaded.

I may do that same to just enjoy the ride, it’s not a game I’m gonna replay I don’t think so a once through would be enough
I've been playing on easy and I noticed that walking through the red kill laser only took a few points off my HP. The training popup said I was supposed to be left with 1HP.
I may bump up to the normal difficutly because my inventory is full of the health regen things.

FoxMcChief

Does the Hardcore difficulty unlock after you beat the game? I just noticed it in the Achievements, but don’t remember seeing it as an option when starting out.

Last edited:

manfestival

The more I play it the more I like it and I haven't even finished the initial base (just collected the 4th canister). Most of humour is terrible mostly because it just doesn't translate all that well from Russian, but it's not without a few good laughs - convos with dead people are often hilarious and explanation why radio plays songs from 70's and 80's was pretty damn funny. Melee combat is fun and these light puzzles are not bad. It can be genuinely creepy when it wants to be, looks great (where the fuck is HDR, tho?). I wish it didn't rely on scripted even so much and environment was at least partially destructive. Anyway, way better than I though it would be.
Yeah I have noticed that too about the humor. It just is really off and does not land. Also some of the cinematic things just occur at really fast speeds and don't make sense even if it is intended to not make sense. Just feels less... organic?

I haven't reached the open world area yet but I actually find the gameplay and premise interesting.

Roberts

Yeah I have noticed that too about the humor. It just is really off and does not land. Also some of the cinematic things just occur at really fast speeds and don't make sense even if it is intended to not make sense. Just feels less... organic?
My hunch is that all the cinematics were directed with Russian language in mind and I guess the timing was right, but English translation was probably longer and created that rushed feeling where there is barely a pause between lines of dialogue.

I haven't reached the open world area yet but I actually find the gameplay and premise interesting.
The first base is so long that it feels like a whole game on its own. I can't imagine any other indoor levels to be as big as this one.

Last edited:

yamaci17

My hunch is that all the cinematics were directed with Russian language in mind and I guess the timing as right, but English translation was probably longer and created that rushed feeling where there is barely a pause between lines of dialogue.

The first base is so long that it feels like a whole game on its own. I can't imagine any other indoor levels to be as big as this one.
im on the second big exhibition location and it almos feels as big as the first base lol

Alex11

Someone is gonna mod that out most probably.
It really needs to, but is this intentionally done?, because putting endless spawning robots, a puzzle, a vending machine and a save spot in the same location seems bonkers, if not game breaking.

GymWolf

It really needs to, but is this intentionally done?, because putting endless spawning robots, a puzzle, a vending machine and a save spot in the same location seems bonkers, if not game breaking.
There are ways to deal with that from what i'm reading around the web.

You can disable all the robot in a zone by doing something, you can just play stealth and avoid cameras, many powers are great to deal with group of enemies and strong enough to kill the weak one with a single hit etc.

It's a bit overdone, but how much people is hating it can vary depend on your playstyle and how strong your character is.

I can see a mod that just disable the reparing robots so what you kill stay dead or to make the timer for them way longer so they revive the enemies but maybe after 10-15 min instead of 30 sec.

I'm still not in the open world zone yet so i'm just speculating here, i'm not sure how annoying the whole robot ecosystem is.

Not sure how having constant enemies attacking you while scavenging and exploring is any different from a fallout or dying lights tbh, they both have enemies everywhere that respawn after a while, and in here you have powers to deal with groups of enemies.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's a dizzyingly large amount of 'files' in the computers, I just stopped reading them after a point as they were just fluff. I like world building as much as the next person but this was a little too muhc.

GymWolf

The combat get much better and your character way stronger the more powers and upgrades you get.

You are losing the sense of progression that make these games so great by playing on easy imo.

There's a dizzyingly large amount of 'files' in the computers, I just stopped reading them after a point as they were just fluff. I like world building as much as the next person but this was a little too muhc.
I've been reading them and hearing all the dead people memories.
I think this is the first time I've ever seen a 'Social Credit' score used in day to day life. Is this done is Russia today?
I find it interesting, Wondering when Neogaf will be instituting this concept. This place could use some sci fi horror.

Last edited:

drotahorror

It's the usual lockpick minigame that most game use but with a more obtuse interface and no risk of breaking the lock pick.

when you move the stick left and right you can see the wire moving, those are just different position of the lockpick, move a big then press a, if the thing doens't turn at all, search another position, don't press up and down to move the wire, just left and right.

Naw, I meant the puzzle that lights up and you have to press click when it lights up.

The combat get much better and your character way stronger the more powers and upgrades you get.

You are losing the sense of progression that make these games so great by playing on easy imo.
Im sure thats true. This isn't really my genre. I just want to make it to the end. Im enjoying it still.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Naw, I meant the puzzle that lights up and you have to press click when it lights up.

That one is ridiculously easy.

Keep in mind that after every "click" the light starts moving in the opposite direction.

So if you get one click on the 1 o clock position, the light will then start moving counter-clockwise, then if the next click was in the 10 o clock position, the light will start moving clockwise again.

Last edited:

sachos

Fascinated by the art style of this game. So unique and different. Haven't played it yet, watched some streams. The vending machine scene DID go a little too long for my tastes though lol
Is this their first game? Crazy they achieved such high quality.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Played this yesterday for 45mins of an hour and think this great OT is more polished than the game - after the interactive 15min intro ends and the real game kicks in. I could see myself playing this on PC, but the gameplay felt really old on a pad - on XsX both me and my friend struggled before the game got interesting.

It technologically looks like it is using Valve's Source Engine and the game very much feels like an up-rezzed HL2 adventure, so despite gameplay graphics feeling technically less impressive than the most recent AA Sniper Elite game, it feels like it could end up a well loved game - much like HL2 - and I could see myself giving this a go on PC - even if I can feel all the old style hidden loading in areas in the walk-and-talk sections.

My friend was completely sucked in by the tech demo (animated cubemap/Criware-esq sandbox) opening graphics that look very polished, even believing it was ray traced. After the first 15mins passed the real gameplay graphics kicked in and it is a journey back to 2005 IMO, so will be interesting to see what DF say about the game's graphics and if they notice the false shadow map testing - of the tree shadow on the hut - in the early Granny's engine cinematic when the gameplay starts.

At £60 people are criticizing the price of Returnal on PC, but given that both this and Returnal are good games with the latter being technologically worlds apart more advanced, I'd say good games are worth the asking price regardless of technology, but anyone thinking this is AAA for their £50-60 should checkout in game graphics first IMHO.

Alex11

There are ways to deal with that from what i'm reading around the web.

You can disable all the robot in a zone by doing something, you can just play stealth and avoid cameras, many powers are great to deal with group of enemies and strong enough to kill the weak one with a single hit etc.

It's a bit overdone, but how much people is hating it can vary depend on your playstyle and how strong your character is.

I can see a mod that just disable the reparing robots so what you kill stay dead or to make the timer for them way longer so they revive the enemies but maybe after 10-15 min instead of 30 sec.

I'm still not in the open world zone yet so i'm just speculating here, i'm not sure how annoying the whole robot ecosystem is.

Not sure how having constant enemies attacking you while scavenging and exploring is any different from a fallout or dying lights tbh, they both have enemies everywhere that respawn after a while, and in here you have powers to deal with groups of enemies.
Yeah, it isn't a problem of options or difficulty, as I can deal with them fairly easy, it's how quick they respawn, I think it was 1 minute between waves, each wave with 5-6 repair robots, and I was done by wave 10. But I won't spoil it anymore, I thought you were in the open world, sorry if I said too much.

Yeah in those games you mentioned, I don't know, it was different, but in both the enemies didn't just respawn with you being in that area, so, you went to a place, killed all of them, loot and move on.

ungalo

I came to like the open world a little more. This kind of hostile world reminds me of Far Cry 2, it's basically acting as an obstacle on your way and not much more. The side content seems alright, like for the third testing ground you got to understand how to activate the cameras to open the door first because the system is infected with the organic life form, you have to observe the environment and find you way. The testing grounds themselves are ok so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom