• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BestBuy.com PS3 Preorders. "here is a coupon for your troubles PWNED LOL"

Ok, so I'm sure these will be cancelled, but what's the harm for BB in keeping these orders as long as it wasn't too many? They'll still have plenty for people on 11/17, and it sure would be easier to just let these go as opposed to losing money with gift cards (YEAH RIGHT LOLZ) or taking a bunch of bad press and facing angry customers (likely).

Wow, I'm sorry PS3 lovers. This suxxors, quite frankly. Big corporations ftl.

You should all sue.

Gavel.jpg

I still have hope, even if some of you are ready to give up. I worked for Best Buy for almost five years. In almost four of those years, I always thought everyone up at corp sucked and made decisions to make my life miserable. Mind you, if anyone knows what the Project Team is, they will understand where I am coming from.

It wasn't until I went to a high profile store and started communicating directly with corp that I realized a lot of those guys are really cool and they try to understand what goes on out there. I never received so much backing before for ideas I had and decisions I made. It was then I realized somewhere in the middle is where things mostly start to go to hell. Granted, I'm not going to say all corp employees are saints, but there are more out there than you might realize.

So my fingers are crossed for those who are trying to help us out and understand that we're not all eBayers. If we can get some, then yay! If not, I'll be bummed but I'll be okay.

Maybe I'm stupid for being hopeful but in this case, it won't kill me either. Untill I personally receive my notice, I'm keeping the light on.

If the Reward Zone thing is true, fortunately my parents have a Reward Zone card.

At Best Buy, it still says that it is in progress.

I just want these blue balls to end. Either these preorders are going through or not. If yes, good. If not, cancel all the orders. This is ridiculous and very unprofessional.

Snah

Banned
I honestly do not understand why they won't just honor these orders. The likely scenario is that legitimate orders would have been in the thousands, which is marginal compared to their total allocation. They already knowingly backordered some people's orders, anticipating that the cap had already been met for this. I do not think the decision from corporate is finalized yet, however corporate better use some common sense here:

1) There's thousands of people who just ordered a 600 dollar console from Best Buy. You already have these orders. You already have the transactions.

2) If you deny these orders, this will likely piss off a LOT of people. I know that if they eventually do honor these orders, which they should, I will be far more likely to purchase things from best buy in the future. If they do not honor these things, I'm not going to purchase ANYTHING from Best Buy ever again. Stores like BB are a dime a dozen these days, and if they want to screw over customers just so they can nickle and dime then they've lost my business. They'll get hit with transactions fees regardless, won't they?

It seems like a no brainer to me. It makes a whole lot of sense to honor these orders, and it makes very little sense not to. But, we're talking about people like "Tony" from "corporate" here. Tony better be on our side.

Walmart did the right thing last year by honoring the 360s that went up on their website. This thread is almost an EXACT mirror of that one last year. A complete rollercoaster. I was told that the 360s were NOT legitimate by CSRs from walmart, and I cancelled my order because I needed the credit. Then I found out that the orders were more than likely legitimate, so I was even able to call them back and get my order reactivated. Awesome. Hell, we didn't even know if the orders were legitimately going through until the damn 360 arrivd on our doorsteps. I lucked out and got a 360, and I was extremely happy. Best Buy, do not disappoint or you've lost a customer for life.

bracer028

yea seriously, best buy loses nothing if they honor the pre orders.

they are selling it at 600 anyways. And they get the cash upfront too...it makes more sense just to honor it.

Joe

A) they might not have allocated enough units (if any at all) to their online warehouse to fulfill all these orders

B) if they did have enough, chances are they were meant to be part of mega-bundles

if neither are true, then yeah they should just green light all these pre-orders. but who the hell knows. my thinking is that if they are in fact going to cancel pre-orders, then its taking way way too long.

lachesis

So, howcome Walmart was able to honor the orders, when there was reportedly smaller amount of 360 units avaiable in total... yet BB can't?

Just wondering...

Joe said:
A) they might not have allocated enough units (if any at all) to their online warehouse to fulfill all these orders

B) if they did have enough, chances are they were meant to be part of mega-bundles

if neither are true, then yeah they should just green light all these pre-orders. but who the hell knows. my thinking is that if they are in fact going to cancel pre-orders, then its taking way way too long.

If they have units that were intended for bundles, then Best Buy should suck it up and do the right thing.

If they don't have enough units, then there's nothing they can do.

Snah

Banned
To be honest, It doesn't make ANY sense to me that they would say that they don't have enough units to do preorders.

Sony has confirmed 400,000 units for the US. I'm pretty sure the actual 360 launch was lower than that (~320,000 for the US). And even at that number, you had places like Best Buy and walmart doing preorders for systems online. Furthermore, since this isn't a global launch and since Japan is getting the shaft on supply, the US is going to get a decent supply for Christmas. So you should be seeing a steady supply flow of PS3s, which was not the case with the 360. I wouldn't mind waiting a week or two later, thus having my PS3 "backordered" as long as I was guaranteed one. I do not want to get caught up in the mess of camping, calling, ad nauseam.

If they're telling people they don't have units to do preorders, they're lying. Plain and simple.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The fact that Best Buy hasn't cancelled the orders has to mean something... right??? RIGHT???????????

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well it would be nice to know sooner rather than later so i can go ahead and give my bank a call confirming a charge will be made around the 17th.

bracer028

it doesn't take that many goofballs (Tony), to make a decision whether to honor the pre orders or not....

two answers

1. Yes

2. No.

cvxfreak

lachesis said:
So, howcome Walmart was able to honor the orders, when there was reportedly smaller amount of 360 units avaiable in total... yet BB can't?

Just wondering...

Different companies, different philosophies I suppose.

Until I get a "PS3 has shipped" email, I'm just going to assume that the deal is no good.

I remain optimistic that BB will honor these sales. I don't get why they would be willing to eliminate hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales. If they can it (hundreds of people at least getting the shaft) then bad word of mouth can spread.

I'm sure BB is weighing out all the options. What Tony says doesn't mean shit if the stockholders might get antsy at a flood of new angry former customers and possible word on the mainstream media. Which is why its still In Progress.

Edit: I like your new avatar cvxfreak.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
If the decision was to cancel, we'd all be cancelled already.

They're still deliberating, most likely. Probably talking with Sony to see if they'll be shipping enough units to make it feasible to honor the orders.

cvxfreak

The Experiment said:
Until I get a "PS3 has shipped" email, I'm just going to assume that the deal is no good.

I remain optimistic that BB will honor these sales. I don't get why they would be willing to eliminate hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales. If they can it (hundreds of people at least getting the shaft) then bad word of mouth can spread.

I'm sure BB is weighing out all the options. What Tony says doesn't mean shit if the stockholders might get antsy at a flood of new angry former customers. Which is why its still In Progress.

It doesn't take a genius to conclude that they did, at the very least, weed out multiple orders. Something tells me the hammer hasn't quite dropped... but it's close.

I oughtta drop some hammers in Dead Rising now. :lol

ManaByte

mashoutposse said:
If the decision was to cancel, we'd all be cancelled already.

They're still deliberating, most likely. Probably talking with Sony to see if they'll be shipping enough units to make it feasible to honor the orders.

I can assure you that the backlash they will get if they sold 100% of their company's PS3 allocation on their website at midnight on a Saturday night leaving stores empty on the 17th will be nothing compared to cancelling these orders.

bracer028

no no...

the backlash at the stores are already anticipated since everyone knows the chance of not picking up a ps3 at opening hours on the 17th.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
everyone will leave that money in BB's pocket until they say so.... BB might as well put it in a bank and let the money work for them...

bracer028

lets start a strike at your local best buy store

where do you guys live?

my closest store is the mission valley store in san diego

Ryu1999

ManaByte said:
I can assure you that the backlash they will get if they sold 100% of their company's PS3 allocation on their website at midnight on a Saturday night leaving stores empty on the 17th will be nothing compared to cancelling these orders.

Money now is better than money later

2001-13-bank_robbery.gif

unomas

Banned
ManaByte said:

Clearly that didn't happen.

If any deliberation is actually going on right now it probably consists of.

"We had one jackass order 12 of them with different credit card numbers."
"Well just eliminate him and....."
"We had hundreds of other people order multiple consoles as well sir."
"What?"
"Ebay sir.."
"Well is it worth the hassle of weeding through the individual orders?"
"Well that could take days and tons of man hours."
"So what do we do?"
"Our first move is to fire Tony in the mailroom!"

cvxfreak

bracer028 said:

where do you guys live?

Let's buy up 51% of the company and start making the decisions!

Sarcasm, people.

Jeff-DSA

bracer028 said:

where do you guys live?

I live in the real world. I won't be out picketing over this.

ManaByte

Ryu1999 said:
Money now is better than money later

2001-13-bank_robbery.gif

Are you that stupid to not know what a holding charge is on your credit card is?

Everytime you make an online purchase (almost every time, and EVERY ****ING TIME it's a big money purchase), the site puts a holding charge on your card to SEE IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY before allowing the transaction to continue.

****. Apple puts a $1 holding charge for iTunes .99 cent downloads.

Best Buy does not have your money.

bracer028

i got a good idea

we go to best buys with like 100 sheets of paper written on it saying "where is my ps3?"

then litter it all over the store by the game department.

Ryu1999

unomas said:
Clearly that didn't happen.

If any deliberation is actually going on right now it probably consists of.

"We had one jackass order 12 of them with different credit card numbers."
"Well just eliminate him and....."
"We had hundreds of other people order multiple consoles as well sir."
"What?"
"Ebay sir.."
"Well is it worth the hassle of weeding through the individual orders?"
"Well that could take days and tons of man hours."
"So what do we do?"
"Our first move is to fire Tony in the mailroom!"

I think someone mentioned in an earlier post that writing a database query to glean out multiple orders to the same address or credit card would only take a few minutes. Now if someone got their friends/relatives to "hold" them, then there'd be a problem and any amount of weeding out wouldn't be able to stop those

ManaByte said:

Its not even close to 100% of their allocation.

Barring multiple orders, I'd say only a few hundred, maybe 1000 at most ordered. Even if it was double that number, that is not a large chunk of BB's PS3 allocation. I'm not sure if Best Buy is going to get 100,000-200,000 of them in but they do represent a large portion of sales. I'm sure they would be getting in tens of thousands of them in. This preorder thing will probably not even come close to being a significant portion of the sales.

I'm sure the thing being debated now is that despite the glitch, if it is wise to cancel them all or honor them. They are probably taking into account all options and wondering what is the best scenario. I say best as opposed to profitable since there are no bundles and $599 in BB's registers is the same in stores as it is online.

I'm sure it will all come down to the backlash against this. The internet is a powerful medium and even more powerful are its shareholders. If they keep hearing word of BB's large screwup, they might be concerned and rightfully so.

This is not an easy decision for them to make. Just because Tony says something does not even make it so.

bracer028

"Tony" = some guy that just made this rumor up to get people to stop calling. Its probably not even his real name

but nonetheless, it backfired...more people are calling in for their orders.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I still maintain my pledge that my magic 8-ball said that they are going to honor the preorders. I can just feeeeelllll it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The Best Buy conundrum:

Make customers happy and love us, or make customers angry and hate us.

Tough choice.

lachesis

commish said:
I still maintain my pledge that my magic 8-ball said that they are going to honor the preorders. I can just feeeeelllll it.

Man, for certain, your 8 ball's rumbling and tumbling w/ high drama today! :D

Ryu1999

ManaByte said:
Are you that stupid to not know what a holding charge is on your credit card is?

Everytime you make an online purchase (almost every time, and EVERY ****ING TIME it's a big money purchase), the site puts a holding charge on your card to SEE IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY before allowing the transaction to continue.

****. Apple puts a $1 holding charge for iTunes .99 cent downloads.

Best Buy does not have your money.

That's not where I was going with it. I did read the 7 posts talking about the holding charges. I meant that even if there's almost no uncertainty that PS3s will sell out on launch day, if they don't cancel these orders they pretty much have a commitment to purchase, and that's better then having to deal with the chaos of huge campfests on the 17th, cause either way the same number of people are getting screwed

Top Bottom