• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V: Announcement Trailer Nov. 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tobor said:
DC is the perfect setting for the type of story the Housers love to tell.

The height of American power living right next to some of it's worst crime and poverty.

DC does make almost too much sense these days.

Although if R* is hesitant about anything, it may be about setting an infamously violent "murder simulator" where the President lives.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'd like something fresh. I don't want a rehash of a previous city. So many of the AAA games are sequels.

GTA needs to be a fresh experience.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Anastacio said:
Wasn't the IGN Stream supposed to kick off 30 minutes before the trailer? I can't seem to find it at the link.
video works for me.

can't believe there is a livestream for a trailer. just shows how big GTA's impact is on gaming.

monocromo

Please Rockstar:

- planes
- parachutes
- downhill races
- and if Im going to have a cellphone, let it be an MP3 player. I want custom music all the time.

Thanks ! <3

If it does do multiple discs on 360 is it possible to load several discs to the hard drive and just use the one for validation? Always wondered about that.

RbBrdMan said:
I'd like something fresh. I don't want a rehash of a previous city. So many of the AAA games are sequels.

GTA needs to be a fresh experience.

Liberty City in GTA4 was really LC in name only. The layout was completely different. So, it would be a fresh experience if they did the same with Vice City or San Andreas.

Tobor

Joe Shlabotnik said:
DC does make almost too much sense these days.

Although if R* is hesitant about anything, it may be about setting an infamously violent "murder simulator" where the President lives.
That's the biggest reason to do it, IMO. The free press from the mainstream media "controversy" guarantees another smash hit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just give us World Class Multiplayer features. There was a stretch where I and a few friends got extremely serious about deathmatch in GTAIV. It was incredible.

Ridley327

POWERSPHERE said:
If it does do multiple discs on 360 is it possible to load several discs to the hard drive and just use the one for validation? Always wondered about that.
It's allegedly possible going by the info we got from the Castlevania producer, but MS seems to discourage it. I'm sure they're willing to make an exception in this case if need be.

sytadel said:
Jesus, the memories. I've played the opening of GTA III hundreds of times because I convinced my parents to buy me the game before I ever had a memory card for my PS2. I'd play those first couple of missions, then blast over to the car dealership near 8-Ball's bomb shop, steal the Banshee, drive over to the bridge and then rattle off the flying cars cheat code at the last possible second to fly over the gap and tear around Staunton and Shoreside Vale for hours. The tunnel to SSV only closed when you completed the mission that repaired the Callahan bridge so you practically had the whole three islands (the drawbridge didn't work, though).

Angry Fork

Watching tons of Christopher Hitchens videos recently is making this IGN video kind of insufferable because of how informal they're speaking. I talk the same way as them though but still hurts listening lol.

Marleyman

Banned
Jtwo said:
Just give us World Class Multiplayer features. There was a stretch where I and a few friends got extremely serious about deathmatch in GTAIV. It was incredible.

They did fairly well in GTA IV. There were a good amount of modes and most were original.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
JaseC said:
The problem with GTAIV is that, mechanically, it's practically GTAIII with better graphics and a mobile phone gimmick thrown into the mix for good measure. Gay Tony is what the game should have been.

I'd disagree pretty strongly with this. On a mechanical level, GTAIV is broken in part because of its tech improvements. You can do the comparisons yourself: try something like jacking a car in III or VC, then do the same in IV. In the earlier games, you press the button, jump to the door, are in the car and up to speed almost immediately. In IV, they've given the animators many more frames in the name of graphical progression, and it gives the whole thing that moving-in-maple-syrup feeling.

I've got a parallel beef with the story: in the pursuit of an Oscar or whatever the heck, there's just miles of useless exposition. Again, compare for yourself: start up Vice City, and go to the first mission in the law-talking guy's office. How long is that cutscene? Does it need to be any longer? In IV, not only does everyone say much, much more, the cutscenes are essentially taking over the gameplay: if the normal rules of the game are broken, for example, in a chase sequence where the chasee is invincible, why bother giving the player control at all? You can't end it quickly by shooting the dude; this would interfere with the story that has been dictated for you. You can't take an alternate route to cut him off; an invisible wall in the form of "The target is getting away!" stops you. It breaks the illusion of non-linearity, and in a way that detracts from things like character development.

All of these games have been about climbing the ladder in the underworld, and up until IV a fairly ingenious mechanic allowed you, as a player, to parallel this character development: as you figured out the layout of the city, and found hidden stuff that unlocked more stuff, and practiced drills through ambulances and taxis and fire trucks, and discovered exploits that the game happily allowed, you learned and became more powerful on a level outside the mechanics of the game. IV gave no incentives or reward for this, and actively discouraged it most of the time - which is why I don't give two shits about their giant empty city. One part was mostly interchangeable with any other, and you can just take a taxi there anyway.

Mully

Jtwo said:

I only played Free-Mode and really enjoyed that. Everything else just seemed out of place in a GTA game. It was awesome to just fuck around in the city with a bunch of randoms or friends.

POWERSPHERE said:
You can do this if the additional content is packaged for regular installed use rather than as another disc to access. Forza 3 and other titles do this.

SLV

Damn it !
I would love to follow this thread...
damn 30 secs to mars
Hope the phone will be able to play that vid ;(

SolidSnakex said:
Liberty City in GTA4 was really LC in name only. The layout was completely different. So, it would be a fresh experience if they did the same with Vice City or San Andreas.
Maybe LA GAF can inform me more but is there really that much to LA? LC was cool cause of places like Manhattan but I feel like LA is all the same. It would have to include Vegas and Mexico.

bengraven said:
No, actually, V taking place in Vice City would be fitting.

Chase the dream fucker, don't run from it.

In the 80's. Please be the 80's. Please be the 80's. C'mon. I'll buy the multi-CD soundtrack again if it is the 80s.

Tobor said:
That's the biggest reason to do it, IMO. The free press from the mainstream media "controversy" guarantees another smash hit.

I realize R* has never backed off of intentional content, but shit like the Hot Coffee debacle was very very expensive and regrettable for them. They're not immune to disastrous PR, and not all controversy is good controversy, even for them.

(That said, if I were a betting man, I'd still be betting on DC/Capitol City, haha. I'm just saying they have a lot to consider in selecting it.)

Dunno if this has been posted leaked info suggest 3 more trailers before xmas after this.

GTA has dabbeled in the street racing scene before but id love some dedicated motor head and a "ricer" type side game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom