• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liars of the Night: DS Horror from Sadness High School Art Club (Scam Exposed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Banned
Justin Bailey said:
Makes me wonder if the scam goes deeper - like they're doing it for tax write-offs or something. You start a "company" that regularly makes public "updates" to it's products in development so it seems legit in the government eye. I'm not really sure how that stuff works in Poland.

That I do not know, I do not run my own business.

Usually you can't write off tax (VAT) if you don't sell or produce something. I doubt they are selling or producing ANYTHING at the moment.

timmy

This thread is so beautiful, I want to take it behind the schoolhouse and get it pregnant.

Great work all around.

ethelred

This is clearly the greatest shock of a lifetime. It's not like plenty of us haven't been calling Nibris a joke for a long while now.

How many "games" can you announce and have people believe you're actually making when you have no dev kit, have released nothing but artwork and PC renders, and have had the only publisher which you've acquired (which itself was a bit of a shady op) drop you? Christ.

Walk away from whoever is feeding you this crap. Trust me, I've been there. I ran a website in 2000 that was fed totally false information yet I kept running with it. It didn't turn out well. You need to be more persistent in fact-checking and source-checking.

Raist

Banned
Oh, look

We really appreciate our close relationships with your portal. It is a really good thing that your site, that is known for having good cooperation with many independent developers, is supporting us in our efforts.

However, we cannot allow to release materials that are not checked and authorized by us for the release and that are not official press-packs. (Even if this information are exclusives to your site).

As far as I know these three artworks of our graphic artists and ROTR game designer and designer of planned (I repeat: "planned" and unconfirmed) DS game "Children of the Night" were sent to you only for private purposes and not to be published.
That is why we strongly request to delete them and write a rectify, in which you will state that they were Nibris internal materials - old graphics of one of our award-winning artists, and that they are not a part of any Nibris project. Our game designer (the author of these artworks) shown them us only to show one of the possible directions to develop the project.

Nibris limited after reading some of the gamers comments also paid attention to information chaos, that may have bad influence on relationships on the line Nibris - Gamers. As a company that has a goal to create games that reflects gamers needs we cannot afford such situations and otherwise justified negative feelings of some of them.

In connection with this, we inform you that the person responsible for this situation will be no longer in charge of Nibris PR actions.

Nibris will do his best to fulfill gamers expectations and in proper time we will reveal something to the public opinion. Of course we are always open to all suggestions and comments from both media and gamers - if anyone should have them, please feel free to contact our company through our website.

(Additionally, we have to inform you that a bug in our site has been detected that blocked most of the correspondence that was going through our site since beginning of the may. The bug has been fixed already, so we would ask all of the people that have not received reply to their inquiry yet to contact us once again. We are really sorry for the inconvenience.)

Concurrently, we hope that this situation will not affect the quality of our cooperation. We still value the role of the CUBED3 site in our company's actions. As we already stated, all materials that shall be released will be commented with "to release" tag.

With Best Regards,

Piotr Babieno
President of Nibris Ltd.

Hmmmm.

jesusraz

Yup, he posted a private email on the forums! How nice...Anyway, I've retracted the story. Work's over for me today, so I'm off home, which means chances are I won't be posting too much. But I will try and pop in before I go to sleep to see what other responses people have put here :)

Borys

Banned
THE DRAMA T H I C K E N S

I gotta give it to Nibris: they react way fast! Almost like they were browsing GAF or Cubed3 hourly.

linkhero1 said:
I just noticed that too. Well he's been busted.

Eh, it's polishenglish. It makes sense in polish. Simple mistake lots of people from Poland do.

Vagabundo

Borys said:
THE DRAMA THICKENS

I gotta give it to Nibris: they react way fast! Almost like they were browsing GAF or Cubed3 hourly.

I think your artist friend phoned in and gave out stink.

Eh, it's polishenglish. It makes sense in polish. Simple mistake lots of people from Poland do.

Of course, English is not his first language, so no nitpicking. Still I like
information chaos
a lot. :D

Borys

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Getting someone fired is no small feat.

However, I doubt anyone got fired.

All I can say is that His Name is having some good time reading this thread.

Check your PMs BTW.

yilmazz

Borys said:

Usually you can't write off tax (VAT) if you don't sell or produce something. I doubt they are selling or producing ANYTHING at the moment.

I think it would be more about getting support money from investors or even the EU. I mean even with just a little bit of programming experience you could do some DS demos, just look at all the great homebrew out there. So just announce a bunch of stuff, show some stolen art and DS demos and then go collect money.

Acosta

How convenient discovering now they have a bug that of all things, doesn´t allow them to receive mails.

And gofreak, as usual, is right, it would help a lot to know the true nature of the relationship between that artist and Nibris.

The worst thing is that Nibris could stop this nonsense if they wanted. Is obvious they know GAF and what many people think. If I runned a game studio, given I have done the mistake of saying something when I shouldn´t, I would be fast in showing something tangible and raise some credibility. But they don´t and not only that they keep with the extremely PRs messages that talk of "highly expected" titles.

Raist

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Getting someone fired is no small feat.

However, I doubt anyone got fired.

Well, he didn't state that he would be fired, just that he wouldn't be in charge of PR stuff anymore.

So now, the coder is in charge of PR stuff, and vice versa.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Well, I'm glad 2 new memes were born from this thread

Information chaos and "A big shit"

ari

Banned
sadness well be so fucking awesome. the crow will be splendid and gaf will be even more distant from reality. goty 08 confirmed, the black and white shading will be teh awesome and matt confirmed that its teh shit, so F the haterz.

vertopci

ari said:
sadness well be so fucking awesome. the crow will be splendid and gaf will be even more distant from reality. goty 08 confirmed, the black and white shading will be teh awesome and matt confirmed that its teh shit, so F the haterz.

:lol

ari

Banned
vertopci said:
sadness will be teh awesome, this is just a cover up cause they need to release it doing the live action movie, which i heard was also teh awesome. roger ebert is caling it teh masterpiece gaming needed.

You know what, this company pisses me off. I like the idea of smaller studios being able to use concept art to promote their games and inspire some interest from media and industry alike without having to drop a small fortune into a demo or POC piece that may or may not ever be realized, but this studio is really taking a massive dump on that approach for everyone.

Borys said:

With Poland being part of EU, I assume you have many of the same financial support programs for small upstarts that my home land does. Effort to inspire local growth, and such. The way these programs work where I'm from, you will need a business idea and ongoing proof that you are in fact operating a business if you want to continue to receive money from the programs. Not saying this is what's going on here, but it would certainly explain the need to announce several games as well as the need to show art for said games.

impirius

sp0rsk said:
Well, I'm glad 2 new memes were born from this thread

Information chaos and "A big shit"
o.gif
n.gif
e.gif

b.gif
i.gif
g.gif

s.gif
h.gif
i.gif
t.gif

tim1138

This has been one of the most entertaining threads I've read on GAF in quite some time. Kudos to the GAF detectives for stopping (starting?) the information chaos!

Phthisis

If you ask me, this whole Cubed3/jesusraz "Oh darn they fed me bad info, so now I'm going to twiddle my thumbs while they send me a new email explaining things more clearly oh golly gosh darn they messed up with those artwork images" stinks to me.

As a journalist myself, if one of my sources (and ESPECIALLY a source with "exclusive" info) burns me like that, I don't complacently accept their rectification explanations. They either give me the answers I want about the truth (i.e., are they scamming me with misinformation?, etc.) or I never deal with them again.

There's a whole lot of shadyness going on with Cubed3, IMO.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Damn! I missed this thread as it unfolded because I was... Off playing video games! That'll learn me. This sucks, I show up at the end. Quick! Somebody find more drama about niBriS!

Oh, and if the artist is reading this, your artwork is amazing. Also if he gets a GAF account, his username should be "His Name"

Phthisis said:
If you ask me, this whole Cubed3/jesusraz "Oh darn they fed me bad info, so now I'm going to twiddle my thumbs while they send me a new email explaining things more clearly oh golly gosh darn they messed up with those artwork images" stinks to me.

As a journalist myself, if one of my sources (and ESPECIALLY a source with "exclusive" info) burns me like that, I don't complacently accept their rectification explanations. They either give me the answers I want about the truth (i.e., are they scamming me with misinformation?, etc.) or I never deal with them again.

There's a whole lot of shadyness going on with Cubed3, IMO.

Let's be fair here, it's a fansite. I agree to a point, but that's mostly because I'm sick of the equal opportunity "benefit" of internet publishing that has become a negative in terms of smaller sites (that despite being fansites present themselves as professional news bureaus) being potentially as visible as larger, dedicated news sites. In this case, however, I do think it's a tad unrealistic to expect the same level of journalistic integrity as one would from larger sites. And hell, even those sites operate with a certain fansite quality that allows them to from time to time to relax their standards a bit. So yeah, I'll go easy on Cubed3, and push most of the blame in direction of Nibris.

Phthisis

AltogetherAndrews said:
Let's be fair here, it's a fansite. I agree to a point, but that's mostly because I'm sick of the equal opportunity "benefit" of internet publishing that has become a negative in terms of smaller sites (that despite being fansites present themselves as professional news bureaus) being potentially as visible as larger, dedicated news sites. In this case, however, I do think it's a tad unrealistic to expect the same level of journalistic integrity as one would from larger sites. And hell, even those sites operate with a certain fansite quality that allows them to from time to time to relax their standards a bit. So yeah, I'll go easy on Cubed3, and push most of the blame in direction of Nibris.

Eh, maybe.

It just seems to me like there's too much happy-go-lucky blind mice-following going on by the people being given the information. I just can't think of any reason why someone would want to seriously give Nibris serious coverage after these developments.

Phthisis said:
Eh, maybe.

It just seems to me like there's too much happy-go-lucky blind mice-following going on by the people being given the information. I just can't think of any reason why someone would want to seriously give Nibris serious coverage after these developments.

Because that's all they have? Not saying it's right, just that it's hardly surprising that a fansite would hold on to the one card it has. Presented with the options of eating a rotten mountain oyster or death from starvation, what would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom