• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

charsace said:
Agreed. The current 360 sales are manufactured. Once the clearance (old white) 360's have been exhausted the 360 sales will fall faster than Bush Jr's approval rating. So around January NPD be prepared for the massive drop in sales numbers of the 360.

The Wii's popularity is also tailing off. The people want something fresh and the Wii's library is shrinking with every third party that jumps off the wagon.

By Christmas 2011 the PS3 will be close to the Wii. Price drops will come and those tens of millions of casual PS2 owners will start jumping in.

The move will also help Sony immensely. It takes what the Wii does and upgrades it. Add to that Sony's non move games like Resistance 2, Heavenly Sword and Lair and you have the best system this gen. Maybe even the best system ever if Sony copies Xbox Live.
So much fail in this post it can only be another joke post. So if kinect succeeds just as it looks like it will, 360s sales are just magically gonna drop off? And ps3 will match Wii's sales because of what? Nevermind the fact that MS STILL has the price drop card to play next year guaranteed and nintendo does as well if they Don't do it this fall for some reason. Sony? Not much room on the price without putting them back in the red again and seeing how they've treated psp's pricing prospects of another ps3 drop are pretty grim unless desperation sets in.

I'm pretty popular in this thread huh? Has to be my ridiculous claims. Work is also done in 30 minutes. Man, my work sucks, it doesn't let me go on any gaming websites. Damn.

FrankT

FortunateSon said:
I'm pretty popular in this thread huh? Has to be my ridiculous claims. Work is also done in 30 minutes. Man, my work sucks, it doesn't let me go on any gaming websites. Damn.

Banned from gaming sites indeed.

Edit; I see the net actually grabbed quite a few of the friends as well.

FortunateSon said:
I find that offensive, insulting to say the least. I get it. I'm just dumb, I don't do attach rates because I know, they are too many unexplained factors involved. So many ways to intepret things.

Anyways, you think these other so called posters (that call my theory bullshit, void, retarded or especially this = :lol :lol :lol ) have valid facts to counter my theory? Man, like I said, it's like a fucking circle jerk. Get real.

I remember a survey from game informer, they stated that they surveyed 6,000 people, now I'm not sure, this is just from what I remember and apparently, 50% said they had rrod problem, mind you; this is old data not new. And out of that, only 4% or something like that said that they wouldn't buy a 360, I know, it's not factual, but so is nothing in this thread till you see it for yourself and know it.

So is that evidence enough for people to believe 4% out of 6,000 people, man, that is a lot of people buying 360's again. We could assume and extrapolate from that data right? Why not? I see people doing the same shit in this thread?

Jesus, I'm not saying 360 doesn't have NEW customers, I'm just saying a good amount of their sales are to pre-existing customers, for some reason, the 360 fans in this thread are really hurt when they hear someone say that? It's like they don't want to hear it, hey, if it hurts you guys, I understand. No problem. And I know, some moderator is probably going to ban me from using this argument but I think it's valid enough as much as anyone else thinks it's valid to say that "OH NOES FORtuNATESON IS JUST FULL OF SHIT, self-owning etc..."

This is not the first poll to arrive at a failure rate between 50 and 60%. Please indicate why you think this correlation of data is not significant.

The thing is, I don't even know why am I going into the rrod field, in general, the xore Xbox userbase is very hardcore (no offense intended) and I make an assumption that a lot of hardcore owners would go and buy revisions, upgrades that the console gets, like a slim etc...

There is a lot of pre-existing owners that are buying new 360's and the reason doesn't have to solely be rrod's, that could be the biggest reason, but there are many others.

Yeah, people show me npd numbers, or other numbers but HOW DO YOU KNOW that those numbers are not pre-existing customers or customers simply upgrading? Were you there?

So please guys, save me the bullshit. I get it, people just want to look down on dumb posters and shit, but hey, you're on = grounds as well.

1108_cartman_kyle_scotch.jpg

Kyle said:
You know what, FortunateSon? I believe you.

Yes, I believe that you believe your theory is factually sound, despite people beating you over the head with how the attach rate would have to spiral downward if all 360 owners were buying multiple boxes. That's how people like you work! Your ego is so out of whack that it will do whatever it can to protect itself. And people with a messed up ego can do these mental gymnastics to convince themselves they're awesome, when really, they're just fanboys!

Lebron

WasteLand Soldier said:
So much fail in this post it can only be another joke post. So if kinect succeeds just as it looks like it will, 360s sales are just magically gonna drop off? And ps3 will match Wii's sales because of what? Nevermind the fact that MS STILL has the price drop card to play next year guaranteed and nintendo does as well if they Don't do it this fall for some reason. Sony? Not much room on the price without putting them back in the red again and seeing how they've treated psp's pricing prospects of another ps3 drop are pretty grim unless desperation sets in.
Come on man, he was joking :p

FortunateSon said:
I find that offensive, insulting to say the least. I get it. I'm just dumb, I don't do attach rates because I know, they are too many unexplained factors involved. So many ways to intepret things.

Anyways, you think these other so called posters (that call my theory bullshit, void, retarded or especially this = :lol :lol :lol ) have valid facts to counter my theory? Man, like I said, it's like a fucking circle jerk. Get real.

I remember a survey from game informer, they stated that they surveyed 6,000 people, now I'm not sure, this is just from what I remember and apparently, 50% said they had rrod problem, mind you; this is old data not new. And out of that, only 4% or something like that said that they wouldn't buy a 360, I know, it's not factual, but so is nothing in this thread till you see it for yourself and know it.

So is that evidence enough for people to believe 4% out of 6,000 people, man, that is a lot of people buying 360's again. We could assume and extrapolate from that data right? Why not? I see people doing the same shit in this thread?

Jesus, I'm not saying 360 doesn't have NEW customers, I'm just saying a good amount of their sales are to pre-existing customers, for some reason, the 360 fans in this thread are really hurt when they hear someone say that? It's like they don't want to hear it, hey, if it hurts you guys, I understand. No problem. And I know, some moderator is probably going to ban me from using this argument but I think it's valid enough as much as anyone else thinks it's valid to say that "OH NOES FORtuNATESON IS JUST FULL OF SHIT, self-owning etc..."

This is not the first poll to arrive at a failure rate between 50 and 60%. Please indicate why you think this correlation of data is not significant.

The thing is, I don't even know why am I going into the rrod field, in general, the xore Xbox userbase is very hardcore (no offense intended) and I make an assumption that a lot of hardcore owners would go and buy revisions, upgrades that the console gets, like a slim etc...

There is a lot of pre-existing owners that are buying new 360's and the reason doesn't have to solely be rrod's, that could be the biggest reason, but there are many others.

Yeah, people show me npd numbers, or other numbers but HOW DO YOU KNOW that those numbers are not pre-existing customers or customers simply upgrading? Were you there?

So please guys, save me the bullshit. I get it, people just want to look down on dumb posters and shit, but hey, you're on = grounds as well.

What you are not understanding is that 100% of the people in that polls 360s were still under warranty. Why would they spend money to buy a new 360 when they could just send it in to MS and get it fixed for free?

RedStep

FortunateSon said:

Everything else you said was retarded too, but this got me. I'm pretty sure we can all agree that they are actual posters.

Zen

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Fud and it's never posted as profit it's posted as net revenue.

EA for the last year plus one;

Platform Net Revenue
Xbox 360 73 171 348 276 262 259 % 5Q total $1.38 billion
PLAYSTATION 3 121 142 236 272 209 73 % 5Q total $1.05 billion

Same is true for Acitivsion;

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Activision-Blizzard-Announces-prnews-2946807902.html?x=0&.v=1

No point in pulling Ubisoft since it should be heavily slanted with SCC in the last quarter.

Two whole companies, all the sillyness in this thread aside, it's not that simple. There are plenty of examples of PS3 revenue being higher for other companies, saying that it's 'fud' is almost stretching as much as the original post you replied to.

FrankT

Zen said:
Two whole companies, all the sillyness in this thread aside, it's not that simple. There are plenty of examples of PS3 revenue being higher for other companies, saying that it's 'fud' is almost stretching as much as the original post you replied to.

Wait what;

Also when we read publishers results with profit per platform, PS3s share is generally higher than 360s.

I post the two largest 3rd party publishers in the US while mentioning what is likely the 3rd and that is somehow close to that statement. I think not. At least I provided numbers. Of course if this wasn't an NPD thread with say MC numbers we we're discussing perhaps you may have point. Of course he was banned for a reason I just took issue with the generally part. Just to be clear I'm well aware that for many companies in Japan the PS3 is very much the strong horse however that still does not make his generally comment anymore valid.

We can throw TT in the mix as well;

http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1435983&highlight=

Code:
Three months ended April 30,  Six months ended April 30, 
OTHER INFORMATION

Platform revenue mix           
Microsoft Xbox 360     42  %    45  %    42  %    33  %  
Sony PlayStation 3     34  %    11  %    28  %    13  %

Zen said:
Ubisoft
The success of Just Dance saw Nintendo Wii emerge as the most lucrative platform, claiming 26 per cent of Ubisoft's total sales. Next up was PS3 with 23 per cent and Xbox 360 with 22 per cent.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39050/Ubisoft-posts-44m-net-loss

This is Ubisoft's latest quarter and the year before that. I didn't post that for a reason though because of SCC, but since you brought it up.

PLAYSTATION®3 17% 13%
XBOX 360™45% 16%

http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/index.p...yX3R5cGU9JmZpbHRlcl9tb250aD0mZmlsdGVyX3llYXI9

So that is likely the 4 largest 3rd party publishers in the US;

EA
Activision
Ubisoft
Take Two

Re: Sin and Punishment

AniHawk said:
It was less than Excitebots.

Wario Land had good legs, and I guess the relationship was good enough to let them continue with Kirby Epic Yarn.

Wow. I... um...

:(

Well, it was a good franchise while it lasted.

fernoca

I missed this kind of NPD threads.
When one of the consoles (that is not the Wii) sells nearly twice the amount of the other; it always makes for the best threads.

C4Lukins

Keikaku said:
:lol

The last couple of pages in this thread have been a return to the good old days of console fanboyism. Keep them coming guys, keep them coming.

It is strange how this NPD thread started out so slowly. It took a couple of days for people to start completely losing their minds.

Fularu

Banned
Man this thread is a graveyard

So many warriors fell, it's a first since the good old days of Nintendo stomping the competition.

Still, I'm quite amazed that Nintendo managed to grab 13 of the top 20 spots. for systems that are failing to sell software, they sure are moving a lot of it ;)

Cosmozone

yankeehater said:
What you are not understanding is that 100% of the people in that polls 360s were still under warranty. Why would they spend money to buy a new 360 when they could just send it in to MS and get it fixed for free?
Because they're... dumb? I remember some posts here on GAF indicating that some people indeed did. I was like WTF?! :lol

Zen

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Someone laid down the law.

He's conflating company size with number of companies, both he and the person he's referring two have used hyperbole and shifted the goal posts. Like I said before, and to reaffirm my point (which is not supporting 'PS3 games generally have higher revenue), calling it fud is almost as hyperbolic as the original statement.

The truth is that PS3 has generally performed above what you might expect of it given install base disparity with a few exceptions (Take Two is one of them, the only priods where they come close is generally during a big release quarter).

Sega Sammy
http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/201003_3qe_pre.pdf
Page 16

Konami
(Well who is surprised about his one it will be more interesting to see the revenue split after MGS Rising joins Konami's other big franchises on the 360)
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/08/08/psp-tops-konami-q1-revenue-figures/

Ubisoft
The success of Just Dance saw Nintendo Wii emerge as the most lucrative platform, claiming 26 per cent of Ubisoft's total sales. Next up was PS3 with 23 per cent and Xbox 360 with 22 per cent.

fernoca

Cosmozone said:
Because they're... dumb? I remember some posts here on GAF indicating that some people indeed did. I was like WTF?! :lol
Yeah, but even if every member in GAF, did the same, 3 times that; still would be around 169,509 units.

And going even more crazy and multiplying that amount x10 and that there are over 30 million units sold...is still way far from 1/4 of those 30+ million units sold.

So is still quite dumb to assume that many of the 360s being sold are to people that lost their units.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zen said:
The truth is that PS3 has generally performed well above what you might expect of it given install base disparity.

What would one "expect"? Software sales do not have a linear correlation to hardware sales; a 10 million install base won't sell double the number of copies of a game that a 5 million install base would. What matters is the composition of the install base and the product being offered.

And that's basically what we've seen. Games with excellent PS3 ports have done better on PS3 than they "should have". Games like Borderlands with a huge emphasis on multiplayer gameplay do better on 360 than they "should have". Fighting games seem to tilt PS3 (possibly because at the beginning of the generation, both software and accessory commitments to the PS3 were better from that genre. The list goes on and on. Even now, we see anywhere from a 1:1 sales ratio to a 4:1 sales ratio for individual software.

When you expand it to the aggregate level, the disparity in PS3 and 360 software sales is better explained by activity in Japan and Europe versus tilt of game. Companies whose major products are tilted towards Europe and Japan will do "better than expected" on PS3, while companies whose major products are tilted in the US will do "less well than expected" on PS3.

Sega, for example, has their #1 console franchise (I'm excluding Mario and Sonic here for obvious reasons) dominantly selling in Japan and exclusive to PS3. It is natural that their home console earnings will tilt there. Konami, MGS, EU/JP PES, etc. Ubisoft is a European country that has historically sold very well in Europe; some of their individual more US-focused games (say, R6V2) have sold disproportionately to the 360.

Honestly I don't have a horse in this race; I think it's a moot point. Whether PS3 or 360 delivers a better return on investment or a higher revenue for any company is totally and utterly irrelevant. The question is does the revenue justify the investment needed to make games and make them right? If the answer is yes, companies will support the platforms.

Since everyone is operating under the assumption that all major third party titles from now until next generation will be multiplatform* (* = 360 gets a few PC/360 exclusives ala Risen, Tropico 3; PS3 gets a few Japanese exclusives; 360 gets shmups; PS3 might have a new avenue of exclusive with Classics HD, etc), the act ratio of software sold is pretty irrelevant at this point, wouldn't everyone agree?

FrankT

Zen said:
Ubisoft

Latest Ubi quarter is 45%(360) versus 17%(PS3) with 16% and 13% the year before. Of course I didn't post that for a reason because of SCC. But that makes EA, Activision, Take Two, and Ubisoft which are likely one, two, three, and four in the US perhaps WW on 3rd party publishing. Added to the above.

http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/index.p...yX3R5cGU9JmZpbHRlcl9tb250aD0mZmlsdGVyX3llYXI9

PDF is listed on the site.

Stumpokapow said:
Since everyone is operating under the assumption that all major third party titles from now until next generation will be multiplatform* (* = 360 gets a few PC/360 exclusives ala Risen, Tropico 3; PS3 gets a few Japanese exclusives; 360 gets shmups; PS3 might have a new avenue of exclusive with Classics HD, etc), the act ratio of software sold is pretty irrelevant at this point, wouldn't everyone agree?

Yes it is pretty well set on that until next-gen.

Zen

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
What would one "expect"? Software sales do not have a linear correlation to hardware sales; a 10 million install base won't sell double the number of copies of a game that a 5 million install base would. What matters is the composition of the install base and the product being offered.

And that's basically what we've seen. Games with excellent PS3 ports have done better on PS3 than they "should have". Games like Borderlands with a huge emphasis on multiplayer gameplay do better on 360 than they "should have". Fighting games seem to tilt PS3 (possibly because at the beginning of the generation, both software and accessory commitments to the PS3 were better from that genre. The list goes on and on. Even now, we see anywhere from a 1:1 sales ratio to a 4:1 sales ratio for individual software.

When you expand it to the aggregate level, the disparity in PS3 and 360 software sales is better explained by activity in Japan and Europe versus tilt of game. Companies whose major products are tilted towards Europe and Japan will do "better than expected" on PS3, while companies whose major products are tilted in the US will do "less well than expected" on PS3.

Sega, for example, has their #1 console franchise (I'm excluding Mario and Sonic here for obvious reasons) dominantly selling in Japan and exclusive to PS3. It is natural that their home console earnings will tilt there. Konami, MGS, EU/JP PES, etc. Ubisoft is a European country that has historically sold very well in Europe; some of their individual more US-focused games (say, R6V2) have sold disproportionately to the 360.

Honestly I don't have a horse in this race; I think it's a moot point. Whether PS3 or 360 delivers a better return on investment or a higher revenue for any company is totally and utterly irrelevant. The question is does the revenue justify the investment needed to make games and make them right? If the answer is yes, companies will support the platforms.

Totally agreed. I remember having these conversations back earlier on in the lifespan on the consoles, but these days the percentages are largely meaningless aside from "The question is does the revenue justify the investment needed to make games and make them right? If the answer is yes, companies will support the platforms.". It was silly to even feign getting back into one, especially since I haven't bothered to keep up with the revenue splits since FY 08.

Haunted

6 banned souls on the last two pages. Probably below average, but not bad for an NPD thread.

*thumbs up*

GarthVaderUK said:
I think I remember being told that my 360's warranty would be renewed when I was sending it in for repair for RRoD a couple of years ago...
Maybe I'm mistaken? Or perhaps things have changed since then.

I don't remember exactly but I think you get like 30 or may be 90 days so if your repaied console fail again and you run out of 3 years they will fix it for you. I only have 1 RROD and it was couple year back.

I love how FortunateSon thinks its ok to spew crap on the grounds that "no one can prove shit"...completely ignoring the proof itself that people have pointed out multiple times.

Reminds me of how people in MC threads would say people only buy the same games over and over, completely ignorant of the fact that people aren't going to buy the same games more than once. (Except for freaks like cvx)

Boney said:
:mad:
I am dissapointed...
You're a hard person to please.

antiquegamer said:
I don't remember exactly but I think you get like 30 or may be 90 days so if your repaied console fail again and you run out of 3 years they will fix it for you. I only have 1 RROD and it was couple year back.
You get 90 days or the remainder of the 3 year warranty, whichever is longer.

Boney

Banned
BishopLamont said:
I love how FortunateSon thinks its ok to spew crap on the grounds that "no one can prove shit"...completely ignoring the proof itself that people have pointed out multiple times.

Reminds me of how people in MC threads would say people only buy the same games over and over, completely ignorant of the fact that people aren't going to buy the same games more than once. (Except for freaks like cvx)

You're a hard person to please.
Well his username is cvxfreak

And it's not that I don't find it funny.. it is! But stupidity sometimes irks me.

P90

I found the Arcade model with two decent kid-friendly games for $149 too good to pass up. +1 sale in July.

watership

Wow. I love NPD threads, I really do. I can't imagine what this place is going to be like if the Kinect or Move fails to push hardware sales.

Penguin

watership said:
Wow. I love NPD threads, I really do. I can't imagine what this place is going to be like if the Kinect or Move fails to push hardware sales.

I'm curious when we can determine the success/failure of Move/Kinect. I'm curious how/if they will be counted in NPDs.

Is it gonna be counted as accessories or hardware?

watership said:

I'm thinking that it will be a whole lot more entertaining if Kinect is massively successful given all of the hate it's been getting here.

Top Bottom